normiss

Nazi's are back!

nolhtairt

To no one in particular, just posting at the end of this thread...

I would think the best way to deal with these confederate statues that have been erected in town squares and parks in cities across the south is... move them to the nearest cemetery with confederate graves and set them up in the confederate section.

Anyway, Robert E. Lee himself said after the Civil War that he didn't want any statues erected in his honor or for the Confederates. And he's right. We should have honored his wish.

From a reddit post:

OK, a lesson on Confederate Monuments from a Southerner, for those who may still be confused.

Confederate Monuments were not built for historical reasons, they were constructed as a negative response to Reconstruction, in celebration of the rise of the Second KKK (and a movement known as the Invisible Empire), and a negative response to the Civil Rights Movement.

They were constructed in places that never were part of the Confederacy (like Ohio and Indiana), in white enclaves that wanted a symbol to keep out economically mobile black citizens.

Much of this born of the Lost Cause movement that has been romanticizing the Confederacy as plucky rebel under dogs who fought heroically for their way of life. The truth though is that the Confederacy was started by wealthy plantation owners so that they could maintain their slave work force. And to a large extent it was not fought by those families but by conscripted poor farmers, tradesmen and immigrants right off the ship.

You will often hear the terms Neo-Confederate and Neo-Nazi used interchangeably, that is because they both come from the same school of thought which classified the races in a hierarchical ladder of "fitness" which gained popularity in the 1890's and was used to convince people of the evolutionary superiority of the "white race".

It was during this time that the roots of Nazism started to form, and the Neo-Confederate Movement (KKK, Invisible Empire, etc) started to gain influence in the United States. While Nazis had few decades to really get a foothold, the Neo-Confederates quickly latched onto white resentment against economically successful minorities and were able to gain considerable political power. While those monuments started going up all over the South (and other places) the State Houses began passing Jim Crow laws and setting the stage for what came to be known as the Civil Rights Movement.

In conclusion, these monuments have nothing to do with the history of the Civil War, they are Totems of Racism. They have nothing to do with heritage, they are rallying points of White Supremacy. They have no place in our society if we want a culture of inclusion and equality.

normiss

Can you even imagine the response from the law if people of color did this?
Only white people are allowed to march around in militarized fashion.

Pic was taken in Charlottesville.

Looks something like a US version of a Sealed Knot event: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/6e/e5/816ee508538f4761b64cc80564b9f760.jpg

Except our Civil War was a few centuries before yours and no one over this side of the pond really gives much of a shit about the outcome... 'cept maybe some in Northern Ireland and then only somewhat tangentially.

normiss

Can you even imagine the response from the law if people of color did this?

Why do they all turn up to an urban rally wearing woodland camo? I thought only little girls played dress-up.

You're Nazis. You don't need to dress like a fuckhead to get the message across any more. The fact that you're attending a white supremacist meeting does it all for you...

yoink

***Can you even imagine the response from the law if people of color did this?

Why do they all turn up to an urban rally wearing woodland camo? I thought only little girls played dress-up.

You're Nazis. You don't need to dress like a fuckhead to get the message across any more. The fact that you're attending a white supremacist meeting does it all for you...

They are probably some militia, supposedly there to protect the 1st Amendment.

When you look at that picture doesn't it give you a sense of freedom and openness?

SkyDekker

They are probably some militia, supposedly there to protect the 1st Amendment.

When you look at that picture doesn't it give you a sense of freedom and openness?

Yeah, I'm sure everyone there felt so much safer that they were being protected from potential government oppression.

Especially if they'd seen something they didn't like and actually tried to use those rifles against the police in and around the big crowds of people. That would have been a great success.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

SkyDekker

***To no one in particular, just posting at the end of this thread...

I would think the best way to deal with these confederate statues that have been erected in town squares and parks in cities across the south is... move them to the nearest cemetery with confederate graves and set them up in the confederate section.

Anyway, Robert E. Lee himself said after the Civil War that he didn't want any statues erected in his honor or for the Confederates. And he's right. We should have honored his wish.

From a reddit post:

OK, a lesson on Confederate Monuments from a Southerner, for those who may still be confused.

Confederate Monuments were not built for historical reasons, they were constructed as a negative response to Reconstruction, in celebration of the rise of the Second KKK (and a movement known as the Invisible Empire), and a negative response to the Civil Rights Movement.

They were constructed in places that never were part of the Confederacy (like Ohio and Indiana), in white enclaves that wanted a symbol to keep out economically mobile black citizens.

Much of this born of the Lost Cause movement that has been romanticizing the Confederacy as plucky rebel under dogs who fought heroically for their way of life. The truth though is that the Confederacy was started by wealthy plantation owners so that they could maintain their slave work force. And to a large extent it was not fought by those families but by conscripted poor farmers, tradesmen and immigrants right off the ship.

You will often hear the terms Neo-Confederate and Neo-Nazi used interchangeably, that is because they both come from the same school of thought which classified the races in a hierarchical ladder of "fitness" which gained popularity in the 1890's and was used to convince people of the evolutionary superiority of the "white race".

It was during this time that the roots of Nazism started to form, and the Neo-Confederate Movement (KKK, Invisible Empire, etc) started to gain influence in the United States. While Nazis had few decades to really get a foothold, the Neo-Confederates quickly latched onto white resentment against economically successful minorities and were able to gain considerable political power. While those monuments started going up all over the South (and other places) the State Houses began passing Jim Crow laws and setting the stage for what came to be known as the Civil Rights Movement.

In conclusion, these monuments have nothing to do with the history of the Civil War, they are Totems of Racism. They have nothing to do with heritage, they are rallying points of White Supremacy. They have no place in our society if we want a culture of inclusion and equality.

I really do not think that article was penned by a true Southerner.

Attached is another point to ponder.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Meaningless tripe. No-one's talking about removing the headstones of normal soldiers anyway - just the statues of prominent confederate leaders. What difference does it make if they are technically US veterans (even though they were in reality fighting for what they believed was a different country in opposition to the US)?

If a US veteran is a rapist, the important thing is that he's a rapist. If a US veteran is a murderer, the important thing is that he's a murderer. If a US veteran was a leader of a failed state that was attempting to perpetuate the total subjugation of an entire portion of society based entirely on skin colour, the important thing is that they were racist bastards with a purely evil vision of society and there is no good argument for giving them a monument.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

RonD1120

Sure it was. There are a lot of Southerners who find the actions of the "neo-Confederates" abhorrent.

Should we call those who worship the idea of the Confederacy "Rebel-Lovers"? Or how about "Traitor-Lovers"?

And your attachment is bullshit.

https://www.facingsouth.org/2015/07/busting-the-myth-that-congress-made-confederate-ve

All I had to do was enter "Confederate Veterans" into the search and it auto-finished with the questions "Are confederate veterans considered US veterans?"

Above link is just the first result. If you don't like it, there is plenty of other sources for it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RonD1120

And I suppose Alexander Stephens, VP of the Confederacy, wasn't a true southerner either. Nor were the folks who wrote the statements describing the reasons for secession of the confederate states.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

I'd be OK with the statues of Lee, etc., if they had large inscriptions on them stating clearly "Traitor and Enemy of the United States"

As you wish.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wolfriverjoe

Sure it was. There are a lot of Southerners who find the actions of the "neo-Confederates" abhorrent.

Should we call those who worship the idea of the Confederacy "Rebel-Lovers"? Or how about "Traitor-Lovers"?

And your attachment is bullshit.

https://www.facingsouth.org/2015/07/busting-the-myth-that-congress-made-confederate-ve

All I had to do was enter "Confederate Veterans" into the search and it auto-finished with the questions "Are confederate veterans considered US veterans?"

Above link is just the first result. If you don't like it, there is plenty of other sources for it.

Perfect example of how FAKE NEWS and Breitbart distribute stories for receptive minds ready to believe. Fundamental intellectual curiosity has vanished even with the power of the internet and search engines. I had the link and the story but you beat me to it.

I think that Bannon will be just as effective outside the WH. He will still have direct access to trump, his protege. trump as always will wait to "get his facts straight", i.e. when Breitbart publishes them.

I have been to Alexander Stephens' home in Crawfordville GA. It is interesting to read about and view the artifacts of his life. Of particular interest is how well he treated his Negro servants and how much they loved him. Granted, he was unique in that respect. Also, he was an early friend and colleague of Abraham Lincoln. They served together in Congress.

I wonder if they will try to tear down his statue. What about the memorial at Stone Mountain?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I have been to Alexander Stephens' home in Crawfordville GA. It is interesting to read about and view the artifacts of his life. Of particular interest is how well he treated his Negro servants and how much they loved him. Granted, he was unique in that respect. Also, he was an early friend and colleague of Abraham Lincoln. They served together in Congress.

I wonder if they will try to tear down his statue. What about the memorial at Stone Mountain?

Imagine. A Black slave born into slavery. Who mistakes good treatment because he doesn't know freedom and equal rights.

Imagine a slave ship filled with people who want slave owners to love. Compare that to to those who would rather "Live free or Die"

RMK

***Of particular interest is how well he treated his Negro servants and how much they loved him.

Ron, you are extra "full of shit" today.

That is well documented at Liberty Hall.

RonD1120

Stephens began acquiring land and slaves. By the time of the Civil War, Stephens owned 34 slaves and several thousand acres

On March 21, 1861, Stephens gave his famous Cornerstone Speech in Savannah, Georgia. In it he declared that slavery was the natural condition of blacks and the foundation of the Confederacy. He declared that relative to the U.S. Constitution, "Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition."[24]...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_H._Stephens

I can see how such ideas are popular with trump and his similar thinking supporters. Check out the latest book by Donald trump "Building Business though the smart Purchase and Management of Slaves"

RonD1120

******Of particular interest is how well he treated his Negro servants and how much they loved him.

Let me ask you a question, Ron.

If you were my slave, answerable to my every single whim with no repercussions for me, and no rights of your own, would you be OK with that - even if I treated you really well?

yoink

*********Of particular interest is how well he treated his Negro servants and how much they loved him.

Let me ask you a question, Ron.

If you were my slave, answerable to my every single whim with no repercussions for me, and no rights of your own, would you be OK with that - even if I treated you really well?

That is what the Progressive Liberal Democrats are seeking. The want us to work at government regulated business, pay most of our wages in taxes, get high in our free time and fornicate and trust the government to care for us.

I am a slave to Christ Jesus and I am treated really, really well. Thanks for asking.