billvon

A new week

RonD1120

...Your class is the intellectual elite. I belong to the survivor class with talent, capability and resources. We may become quite useful to your class in the event of a catastrophe.

You seem to think that the two classes are mutually exclusive.

Not true at all.

Although many of those who think they are in the "survivor class" and disdain the "intellectual elite" are woefully unprepared for what real, long term, survival will entail (helpful hint: it involves a lot of knowledge and intellect)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

My specific worst fear for this presidency is that Trump allows himself to be manipulated into some sort of catastrophic event based on a fit of pique. This might be military, economic or social.

My biggest fear is he will start a war over a Twitter insult or in-person slight. He has already shown himself to be very sensitive to personal comments.

Another case in point to his lack of awareness of his position: has anyone seen his comments to the graduates of the Coast Guard Academy? Instead of addressing the graduates with motivating words of inspiration, or assuring them their choice to serve the nation will be honored or appreciated, he went off about how unfairly he's been treated and how great he is. He treated it like a political rally. :|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Now that is a fine example of seeing through the glass darkly.

The glass isn't dark, it's just got your shit all over it. Please stop throwing it at the fan, that's a nasty nasty habit.

By the way, I heard a story on NPR this morning about how Blue Ridge GA has the highest percentage of gay and lesbian couples in the state. Isn't your compound up near there?

Don

RonD1120

Your class is the intellectual elite. I belong to the survivor class with talent, capability and resources. We may become quite useful to your class in the event of a catastrophe.

You know nothing about me or my background.

You have no idea if I belong in what you derogatorily term 'the intellectual elite' or in your precious 'talented, capable and resourceful' class.

But this is a fascinating look into your mind.

billvon

Your class is the intellectual elite. I belong to the survivor class with talent, capability and resources. We may become quite useful to your class in the event of a catastrophe.

And we will be quite useful to you when you want to get the lights back on, or the bridge fixed, or the blight stopped, or the dam repaired, or you want that medicine for your wife.

What do you think will be the primary medium of exchange?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

wolfriverjoe

...Your class is the intellectual elite. I belong to the survivor class with talent, capability and resources. We may become quite useful to your class in the event of a catastrophe.

Not true at all.

Although many of those who think they are in the "survivor class" and disdain the "intellectual elite" are woefully unprepared for what real, long term, survival will entail (helpful hint: it involves a lot of knowledge and intellect)

Mutually exclusive classes are an idea promulgated by the progressive liberal left, especially exemplified by the posters here in the SC. You folks want conservative Christians dead and gone.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

GeorgiaDon

Now that is a fine example of seeing through the glass darkly.

The glass isn't dark, it's just got your shit all over it. Please stop throwing it at the fan, that's a nasty nasty habit.

By the way, I heard a story on NPR this morning about how Blue Ridge GA has the highest percentage of gay and lesbian couples in the state. Isn't your compound up near there?

Don

I was only trying to be helpful in my original post to yoink. Funny how I always become the flame magnet.

Die, conservative Christian die.

That is interesting. A native resident and local businessman here said that the percentage was high. I did not know we were in first place. For some reason they are not visible.

yoink

You know nothing about me or my background.

You have no idea if I belong in what you derogatorily term 'the intellectual elite' or in your precious 'talented, capable and resourceful' class.

But this is a fascinating look into your mind.

I did not know that the term "intellectually elite" was derogatory. Live and learn, thanks for the heads up.

Oh, what fascinates you about my mind?

TriGirl

Another case in point to his lack of awareness of his position: has anyone seen his comments to the graduates of the Coast Guard Academy? Instead of addressing the graduates with motivating words of inspiration, or assuring them their choice to serve the nation will be honored or appreciated, he went off about how unfairly he's been treated and how great he is. He treated it like a political rally. :|

Obviously, when he was telling us we would "get tired of the winning", he really meant we would "get tired of the whining".
Or as Bill Maher put it: "We may not have elected our first female president, but we did elect our first whiny little bitch.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

TriGirl

I think that is just his narcissistic personality disorder showing through. I found and read this link several months ago, before he was sworn in as president, and think every word of it is true. Events are playing out pretty much as this article characterized.

Coping with narcissistic personality disorder in the White House
https://qz.com/852187/coping-with-chaos-in-the-white-house/

That is interesting. A native resident and local businessman here said that the percentage was high. I did not know we were in first place. For some reason they are not visible.

You see them every day, Ron. They are people you know, work with and respect. You just don't know it.

I don't recall anyone saying that. Certainly I did not. I just asked you to stop flinging poo. (In case you don't get it: making up silly generalizations about people you don't know and indeed actively avoid, such as educated people, is flinging poo.)

They are not visible because they are just regular people, not (as some imagine) monsters out to destroy society or your marriage or whatever. Just ordinary folks who want to be left alone to live their lives without having people fling poo at them. So to speak.

Don

TriGirl

My specific worst fear for this presidency is that Trump allows himself to be manipulated into some sort of catastrophic event based on a fit of pique. This might be military, economic or social.

My biggest fear is he will start a war over a Twitter insult or in-person slight. He has already shown himself to be very sensitive to personal comments.

Like Elizabith Warren did?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>What do you think will be the primary medium of exchange?

Depends on the degree of SHTF. At the least severe level, money. At the next level, non-fiat money (like silver dimes and quarters.) At the worst level, food.

My thinking along those lines as well. Selco stated that a gold ring might be good to offer in order to pass a checkpoint. However, producing a gold coin is likely to get you killed on the off chance you may have more.

GeorgiaDon

I don't recall anyone saying that. Certainly I did not. I just asked you to stop flinging poo. (In case you don't get it: making up silly generalizations about people you don't know and indeed actively avoid, such as educated people, is flinging poo.)

They are not visible because they are just regular people, not (as some imagine) monsters out to destroy society or your marriage or whatever. Just ordinary folks who want to be left alone to live their lives without having people fling poo at them. So to speak.

Don

I am one of the educated people, MA remember.

I am wondering how they got sorted out to be counted and judged in first place. I have always believed they wanted to be left alone and just live their lives. The problem came when BHO declared them special. Then the progressive left declared that science does not determine gender.

I have always believed they wanted to be left alone and just live their lives.

Pretty much.

Then the Mormon Church pushed for Prop 8 - and suddenly they were being attacked. So they fought back, as anyone who is attacked will fight back.

The problem came when BHO declared them special.

He never declared them "special." He merely supported their right to be like everyone else.

RonD1120

Not true at all.

Mutually exclusive classes are an idea promulgated by the progressive liberal left, especially exemplified by the posters here in the SC. You folks want conservative Christians dead and gone.

Yet you clearly differentiated between "You" (meaning others) and "I" (meaning you). You make it pretty clear that you consider the "You" group inferior.

I don't want conservative Christians dead and gone.

Just the ones that use their religion as an excuse for their hatred and prejudice.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RonD1120

I was referring to your worst fear of President Trump and his administration. If it is that personal and deeply felt I understand.

I've been thinking a little more about this and I have an addition - it's not Trump specific, but it is related.

I think we as a society are all so caught up in the trainwreck that is the current administration we're neglecting the biggest problem - that no matter what happens about 50% of the population will feel disenfranchised with the result, and that the government is not acting in the interests of what they consider to be the population.

50%. As numbers go that's about as dangerous as it gets.

A society can handle 20% or 30%; somthing like that. That's to be expected. But 50% is an incredibly unstable state. It's equal pressures being applied to two groups who both feel put upon. The only thing that is holding that pressure together is the shared belief in the fairness and justness of the systems that are in place. If that belief becomes eroded (and that's what I see happening through the 'fake news' headlines, the various conspiracy trends and the political sniping that has reached unbelievable levels) then I think there's an increased likelihood that fairly large scale civil unrest could happen.

At a time when we need to be coming together as a population I only see us being driven into more polar opposite positions.
If I were President I'd run on reducing that figure to 55-45, and even that would be a massive achievement. This is something that is going to take decades to even stop, let alone reverse.

RonD1120

I was only trying to be helpful in my original post to yoink. Funny how I always become the flame magnet.

You get flamed because you come here to troll, or to be a dick. I don't think I've ever seen you enter into a genuine discussion here, not even once. It's incredibly disappointing since you're clearly intelligent.

My soon-to-be MIL is a conservative Christian (stb FIL slightly less conservative, still very Christian) - we get along just fine despite my "sinful" atheism. I suspect it's because neither one of us is such a cunt about it.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

yoink

I was referring to your worst fear of President Trump and his administration. If it is that personal and deeply felt I understand.

I've been thinking a little more about this and I have an addition - it's not Trump specific, but it is related.

I think we as a society are all so caught up in the trainwreck that is the current administration we're neglecting the biggest problem - that no matter what happens about 50% of the population will feel disenfranchised with the result, and that the government is not acting in the interests of what they consider to be the population.

50%. As numbers go that's about as dangerous as it gets.

A society can handle 20% or 30%; somthing like that. That's to be expected. But 50% is an incredibly unstable state. It's equal pressures being applied to two groups who both feel put upon. The only thing that is holding that pressure together is the shared belief in the fairness and justness of the systems that are in place. If that belief becomes eroded (and that's what I see happening through the 'fake news' headlines, the various conspiracy trends and the political sniping that has reached unbelievable levels) then I think there's an increased likelihood that fairly large scale civil unrest could happen.

At a time when we need to be coming together as a population I only see us being driven into more polar opposite positions.
If I were President I'd run on reducing that figure to 55-45, and even that would be a massive achievement. This is something that is going to take decades to even stop, let alone reverse.

I believe we are pretty much on the same page here.

billvon

I have always believed they wanted to be left alone and just live their lives.

Pretty much.

Then the Mormon Church pushed for Prop 8 - and suddenly they were being attacked. So they fought back, as anyone who is attacked will fight back.
***The problem came when BHO declared them special.

He never declared them "special." He merely supported their right to be like everyone else.

We know that feeling.

Paid advocate Mike Flynn 'opposed military operation against Isis after objections from Turkey'

Days before President Donald Trump took office, incoming National Security Adviser Michael Flynn blocked a military plan against Isis that was opposed by Turkey, a country he had been paid more than $500,000 to advocate for, the McClatchy news service reported.

According to the report, Flynn declined a request from the Obama administration to approve an operation in the Isis stronghold of Raqqa, effectively delaying the military operation. His reasoning wasn't reported, but Turkey has long opposed US military operations in cooperation with Kurdish forces."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/michael-flynn-turkey-paid-advocate-donald-trump-oppose-us-military-isis-operation-national-security-a7742066.html

All just part of the trump administrations "pay for play" plan of government. Yesterday it was announced:

Trump team knew Flynn was being investigated, report says

Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn was under investigation for secretly working as a paid lobbyist for Turkey during the White House campaign and the Trump team knew, two sources tell The New York Times.

Trump fired Flynn on Feb. 13, 24 days after he started the job, following warnings that Flynn lied to colleagues about his dealings with Russia. Wednesday night's revelation came amid a slew of reports about the Trump White House that sent up rumblings of impeachment. The Times report said the Trump team knew about the Turkey investigation weeks before Flynn was let go.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/05/17/report-trump-team-knew-flynn-being-investigated/101816334/