Phil1111

Tuesday Afternoon Massacre

In 1973, President Nixon ordered the firing of special prosecutor Archibald Cox because he wouldn't obey Nixon's order to stop looking into Watergate. Two of the Justice Department's top leaders resigned in protest rather than following Nixon's directive to fire Cox. It became known as the "Saturday Night Massacre," an instance of the president using his power to punish political enemies within the Justice Department.
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-ol-the-saturday-night-massacre-20170130-htmlstory.html

Now the FBI director by trump

President Trump has fired FBI Director James Comey, the White House announced Tuesday afternoon.

"The president has accepted the recommendation of the Attorney General and the deputy Attorney General regarding the dismissal of the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation," White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters in the briefing room...

The White House said that Trump "acted based on the clear recommendations of both Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions" and that a search for a new permanent FBI director would "begin immediately."
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332613-trump-fires-comey

In a signed letter, Trump informed Comey that he was "hereby terminated and removed from office, effective immediately," explaining that he reached the conclusion that Comey is "not able to effectively lead the bureau."...

"It is essential that we find new leadership for the FBI that restores public trust and confidence in its vital law enforcement mission," Trump told Comey in the letter.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/james-comey-fbi-trump-white-out/index.html

May 09 2017
STATEMENT BY SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON DISMISSAL OF FBI DIRECTOR JAMES COMEY

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement today on the dismissal of FBI Director James Comey:

“While the President has the legal authority to remove the Director of the FBI, I am disappointed in the President's decision to remove James Comey from office. James Comey is a man of honor and integrity, and he has led the FBI well in extraordinary circumstances. I have long called for a special congressional committee to investigate Russia's interference in the 2016 election. The president's decision to remove the FBI Director only confirms the need and the urgency of such a committee.”

Phil1111

May 09 2017
STATEMENT BY SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON DISMISSAL OF FBI DIRECTOR JAMES COMEY

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement today on the dismissal of FBI Director James Comey:

“While the President has the legal authority to remove the Director of the FBI, I am disappointed in the President's decision to remove James Comey from office. James Comey is a man of honor and integrity, and he has led the FBI well in extraordinary circumstances. I have long called for a special congressional committee to investigate Russia's interference in the 2016 election. The president's decision to remove the FBI Director only confirms the need and the urgency of such a committee.”

I give it 2 weeks until Trump sends McCain a letter firing him, too. Even if he can't.

mr2mk1g

Someone needs to do a 'Downfall' video of Trump ordering Comey's sacking. :D

No. The first guy to make a "Downfall" video was a genius. Everybody else, simply hacks.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ryoder

Obama should have fired Comey in October.

Actually didn't he tell Comey to suppress the Russia investigation because he felt it would be taken as politically motivated and hurt Clinton's chances?

Guess he gambled wrong but it's in a theater in which nobody cared about Trump's transgressions but everyone cared about Clinton's. It's an odd world we live in.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

SkyDekker

I am sure Rudy Giuliani will be a great impartial FBI Director.

I'm glad I can confidently say that he would never be appointed as FBI director. He said the same last night and this morning.

This does leave the next director taking the role in a preexisting condition of sorts. The questions he'll (Yes "he", we know Trump won't nominate women) receive in his appointment will specifically be about how they plan to handle the Russia investigation. Will that candidate say he'll recuse himself or will he say that he's going to pick it up where Comey left off?

Edit:

Next question, did Trump have someone in mind when he decided to fire Comey? Did he have a plan for this extremely unique situation?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Days Before He Was Fired, Comey Asked for Money for Russia Investigation

WASHINGTON — Days before he was fired, James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, asked the Justice Department for a significant increase in money and personnel for the bureau’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the presidential election, according to three officials with knowledge of his request.

Mr. Comey asked for the resources during a meeting last week with Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who wrote the Justice Department’s memo that was used to justify the firing of the F.B.I. director this week.

Mr. Comey then briefed members of Congress on the meeting in recent days.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/comey-russia-investigation-fbi.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-top-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

CNN and the Washington Post also reported on Comey's request for more resources.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332741-comey-sought-funding-increase-for-russia-probe-before-firing-report

>Days Before He Was Fired, Comey Asked for Money for Russia Investigation

And:
===================
Grand jury subpoenas issued in FBI's Russia investigation

By Evan Perez, Shimon Prokupecz and Pamela Brown, CNN

Wed May 10, 2017

Washington (CNN) - Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records, as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year's election, according to people familiar with the matter. CNN learned of the subpoenas hours before President Donald Trump fired FBI director James Comey.

The subpoenas represent the first sign of a significant escalation of activity in the FBI's broader investigation begun last July into possible ties between Trump campaign associates and Russia.
===================
Fact Checking President Trump’s Tweets on FBI Head Comey’s Congressional Testimony

The Associated Press
Mar 21, 2017

. . . .

Comey, when asked if he was aware of collusion between Trump associates and Russia, beyond the findings of the report: "It's not something I can comment on."
=================

billvon

>Days Before He Was Fired, Comey Asked for Money for Russia Investigation

And:
===================
Grand jury subpoenas issued in FBI's Russia investigation

By Evan Perez, Shimon Prokupecz and Pamela Brown, CNN

Wed May 10, 2017

Washington (CNN) - Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records, as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year's election, according to people familiar with the matter. CNN learned of the subpoenas hours before President Donald Trump fired FBI director James Comey.

The subpoenas represent the first sign of a significant escalation of activity in the FBI's broader investigation begun last July into possible ties between Trump campaign associates and Russia.
===================
Fact Checking President Trump’s Tweets on FBI Head Comey’s Congressional Testimony

The Associated Press
Mar 21, 2017

. . . .

Comey, when asked if he was aware of collusion between Trump associates and Russia, beyond the findings of the report: "It's not something I can comment on."
=================

You all are very entertaining. :D

You want this sooooooooooooooooooooo bad you cant even see straight anymore.

Boy is the next election going to be fun!:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Pretty confusing to think that candidate Trump praised Comey for reopening Clinton email probe in October, but now cites it for firing him.
He always seems to talk out of both sides of his mouth.
I think this was the final bit of losing complete trust in the current admin, nothing but lies from every one of them.

How many Trump associates were also members of Congress? I can only think of 1: Jeff Sessions

In the attached snip from the May 8th congressional hearings Clapper seems to imply that he unmasked Jeff Sessions.

A day later Jeff Sessions recommends the firing of Comey, the guy leading the investigation...

It is all pretty odd.

7 months ago -
---Group A "Comey? That bastard has an agenda. Fire him"
---Group B "Comey? That guy is a hero for investigating stuff that agrees with my agenda"

This month -
---Group B "Comey? That bastard has an agenda. Fire him"
---Group A "Comey? That guy is a hero for investigating stuff that agrees with my agenda"

So - we have this guy who's job is investigating. He investigates a couple things and pisses off both teams at different times. he's out of a job. politics is an amazing thing.

we are also good at fighting judges that espouse being legally pure and objective despite their personal biases

people are weird

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

***Someone needs to do a 'Downfall' video of Trump ordering Comey's sacking. :D

No. The first guy to make a "Downfall" video was a genius. Everybody else, simply hacks.

I don't know which parody was the first, but the first I saw was about online poker. Hysterically funny.

It's more like:

Then:
Group A: "That guy's actions were inappropriate. He should be fired."
Group B: "That guy is a hero!"

Now:
Group A: "That guy's actions were inappropriate. He should have been fired, but since we're stuck with him he shouldn't be interfered with."
Group B: "Shit, we thought that guy was in the bag for us. Turns out he's not. Fire him!"

- Dan G

rehmwa

7 months ago -
---Group A "Comey? That bastard has an agenda. Fire him"
---Group B "Comey? That guy is a hero for investigating stuff that agrees with my agenda"

This month -
---Group B "Comey? That bastard has an agenda. Fire him"
---Group A "Comey? That guy is a hero for investigating stuff that agrees with my agenda"

So - we have this guy who's job is investigating. He investigates a couple things and pisses off both teams at different times. he's out of a job. politics is an amazing thing.

we are also good at fighting judges that espouse being legally pure and objective despite their personal biases

people are weird

Not entirely correct.

Group B was applauding him. Now group B is firing him for the actions they applauded him for.

Group A is still not happy with the way investigation 1 took place, but questions the change of mind of Group B.

Group B has answered that with: I thought you hated him too. You are being a hypocrite for not liking that he got fired.

The fact that people (including you based on this post) take that as being a valid answer says lots.