billvon

#tregret

jcd11235

***Reference Time Magazine May 15 2017 (a known left bias publication.)

Um, no.

Iago

But since you are feeling so generous, the next dozen of busloads can go to your neighborhood …

I'll have to concede that the prospect of the decreased crime rates associated with immigrant populations is worrisome.

Those FACTS have been quoted again and again. In these forums and others. Including the net positive effects of immigration to GDP. Unfortunately the misinformed,those who are so predisposed to tribal politics, etc. Will likely never change their minds.

The current republican administration and FOX news count upon that for their survival. So the dialog that every immigrant from central America is a MS-13 gang member. That they are all rapists, murderers and thieves. Is seized upon by trump and repeated ad nauseam on his teleprompter, FOX.

Then parroted by his supporters.

Iago

Controlled borders are good.

The border wall is as joke, meant to appease those too naive and uninformed to understand that the US needs immigration and that immigrants are lees likely than natives to commit crimes.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***Controlled borders are good.

The border wall is as joke, meant to appease those too naive and uninformed to understand that the US needs immigration and that immigrants are lees likely than natives to commit crimes.

It also ignores the fact that we get illegals crossing because there is such a huge economic disparity between Central/South and North America. I'm not saying that we should dump money in anyone's direction but money spent on things that don't work would be much better spent to grow our common business interests.

But OMG, that sounds like..um....um.....libtard something something!!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Phil1111

******Reference Time Magazine May 15 2017 (a known left bias publication.)

Um, no.

Iago

But since you are feeling so generous, the next dozen of busloads can go to your neighborhood …

I'll have to concede that the prospect of the decreased crime rates associated with immigrant populations is worrisome.

Those FACTS have been quoted again and again. In these forums and others. Including the net positive effects of immigration to GDP. Unfortunately the misinformed,those who are so predisposed to tribal politics, etc. Will likely never change their minds.

The current republican administration and FOX news count upon that for their survival. So the dialog that every immigrant from central America is a MS-13 gang member. That they are all rapists, murderers and thieves. Is seized upon by trump and repeated ad nauseam on his teleprompter, FOX.

Then parroted by his supporters.

Speaking of parroting, now we'll except one side of a highly debated topic, one put forward and argued by immigrant support groups, and label it fact because it's been repeated on here so often. What's next, the two fifty cookie?

>Ah, hahaha, see that's why I pay taxes for prisons- to keep the violent criminals OUT of my home.

Good plan! Let's use the justice system to find, arrest, prosecute and imprison the violent criminals, rather than just paint an entire segment of society with the same brush. No need to "bus" anyone anywhere.

>So based on that anecdotal experience that everything is peachy lets's go ahead and just
>open the border up and let anyone that wants to run across.

?? Uh, OK. I think that's a bad idea, but whatever floats your boat.

Iago

There's already barricades along about 1/3 of the Southern border, mostly from West TX to the Pacific. The East side has the Rio Grande as a natural obstacle. The barricades do have questionable effectiveness, IMHO. Mostly it appears to slow down vehicles or steer foot traffic to areas with more border patrols.

Would you rather have nothing on the border and let anyone just go through anywhere? Or should there be some deterrence requiring a larger expenditure of energy, resources, and ingenuity to get across?

At what point did I suggest "Nothing on the Border"?
Or do you have to make shit up because you can't refute my arguments?

And for that matter, your 1st paragraph actually agrees with my point.

There are places where a barrier (wall or fence) is a good thing. And already in place. There are others where it isn't a good idea. Both are for a wide variety of reasons.

Trump's idiotic "wall" idea ignored that. He just wanted to "build a wall" from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific. And "make Mexico pay for it."

And his moron supporters ate it up.

One of the most telling things I saw during the campaign was Trump announcing the first line ('Build a wall") and then "winding up" to put his hand to his ear to encourage the crowd to reply "and make Mexico pay for it." Pure idiocy, pure theater, done in a way that would make a pro wrestler proud.
Trump wanted the adulation from the crowd. Pure and simple. Workable ideas? Realistic proposals?

Pfft. He just wanted the cheers and applause.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

From an interview in Wisconsin, more #tregret:

===========
Pam Anderson, a retired nurse, voted for President Barack Obama and then for Trump.

Anderson was born and raised in Kenosha, and although she voted for Trump in 2016, she said she regrets that now. "I had voted for Obama. This time around I went ahead and voted for Donald Trump. And I really regret that decision," Anderson said.

When asked why she regrets her vote, she said she doesn't like "how he presents himself."
"I don't like the uncertainty," she said.

Trump faced significant criticism for his comments at a joint news conference with his Russian counterpart on Monday, where he initially said he didn't have reason to think Russia had interfered in the 2016 election after hearing Putin's denial. (On Tuesday he said he had misspoken.)

"For him to just kind of push it off to the side, like he doesn't believe it, I think he's knocking the whole system," Anderson said of Trump's comments.

When asked what she thought was going to happen in 2020, Anderson said she doesn't trust the President. "Not him. I've already decided," Anderson said. "I just don't feel that he thinks things through before he jumps into them. For me, personally, because I just really don't trust him. I just really don't trust him."
============

Lots of #tregret after the surrender summit in Helsinki.

=====================
I Really Regret' Voting for Him: Swing State Trump Supporters Turned Off After His 'Total BS' Russia Walk Back

The president's overtures to our adversary are becoming too much for these voters.
By Chris Sosa
July 18, 2018

Swing state Republican voters are showing some breaks in the ranks as President Donald Trump defiantly refuses to denounce Russian President Vladimir Putin and tries to recontextualize his rejection of U.S. intelligence community findings. . . .

“You’re essentially putting Russia first,” Dallas Republican Chris Ford told the Times. “It’s hard to see how that’s putting America first.”

“We should stand our ground,” Jimmy Treece, a retired construction worker and Trump supporter in Pennsylvania, said. “There is clearly something wrong here.”

“The man is an embarrassment. I voted for him and will not again,” a voter calling into Wisconsin radio-show NewsTalk said.
==================

This lifelong conservative is feeling the #tregret and says he would "take Obama back in a nanosecond" to replace the mess we have now. He worked to defeat Obama - but compared to Trump, Obama's presidency was a "golden age" of reason and morality.

==============================
Max Boot

July 20, 2018

How I miss Barack Obama.

And I say that as someone who worked to defeat him: I was a foreign policy adviser to John McCain in 2008 and to Mitt Romney in 2012. I criticized Obama’s “lead from behind” foreign policy that resulted in a premature pullout from Iraq and a failure to stop the slaughter in Syria. I thought he was too weak on Iran and too tough on Israel. I feared that Obamacare would be too costly. I fumed that he was too professorial and too indecisive. I was left cold by his arrogance and his cult of personality.

Now I would take Obama back in a nanosecond. His presidency appears to be a lost golden age when reason and morality reigned. All of his faults, real as they were, fade into insignificance compared with the crippling defects of his successor. And his strengths — seriousness, dignity, intellect, probity, dedication to ideals larger than self — shine all the more clearly in retrospect.

Those thoughts are prompted by watching Obama’s speech in South Africa on the 100th anniversary of Nelson Mandela’s birth. I was moved nearly to tears by his eloquent defense of a liberal world order that President Trump appears bent on destroying.

The first thing that struck me was what was missing: There was no self-praise and no name-calling. Obama has a far better claim than Trump to being a “very stable genius,” but he didn’t call himself one. The sentences were complete and sonorous — and probably written by the speaker himself. (Imagine Trump writing anything longer than a tweet — and even those are full of mistakes.) The tone was sober and high-minded, even if listeners could read between the lines a withering critique of Trump’s policies.

. . .

It can be depressing to think about our current predicament under a president whose loyalty to America is suspect but whose racism and xenophobia are undoubted. However, Obama’s speech gave me a glimmer of optimism — and not only because he cited Mandela’s “example of persistence and of hope.” He reminds me that just 18 months ago — can you believe it was so recently? — we had a president with whom I could disagree without ever doubting his fitness to lead. We can have one again.
============================

Oregon GOPer can no longer stomach Trump, and switches parties. This is happening more and more often as Trump's 'values' become more apparent.
=========================
'I cannot condone the misogyny, the racism': Oregon Republican becomes Democrat, citing Trump

Author: Christal Hayes, USA TODAY
July 27, 2018

A devout Republican commissioner in northwest Oregon says she can no longer stand by the party because of Trump's "racist tactics" and changed her political affiliation to become a Democrat.

Lori Stegmann left a long explanation on her Facebook page on Wednesday for her sudden choice after spending her entire adult life as a conservative. She chronicled her love of conservative leaders over the years and her start in the U.S. as an orphan and immigrant from South Korea.

Stegmann explained to her constituents in Multnomah County, which encompasses Portland, that she didn't want to leave the party but "it became impossible for me to stay."

"I have not changed but the Republican party clearly has," Stegmann said in her message. "There’s too much at stake in our country right now and we have to speak out. As a woman, a business owner, a mother, an immigrant, and a minority I cannot condone the misogyny, the racism, and the unethical and immoral behavior of the current administration."

In an interview with USA TODAY on Thursday, Stegmann said the response she got from her community — and the nation — was swift, and mostly positive.

"It was incredible," she said. "I feel like I struck a nerve because so many people told me 'That's what I'm feeling,' and 'You're right, the Republican party I joined has changed.'"

She said her tipping point came with the Trump administration's zero-tolerance policy on immigration, which led to thousands of children being separated from their families.

"I've been so blessed," Stegmann said of her life as an immigrant. "Then to see the rhetoric coming from the Trump Administration dehumanizing immigrants. These are people like me and what he is spouting is not what the United States is about, what it has always stood for."

Stegmann summed up much of her reasoning for leaving the party to President Donald Trump and the policies of his administration. She said while she had never liked the business mogul-turned politician, seeing the lack of resistance from the Republican party made it hard to stay.

She said it takes courage to stand up to those in power and to stand up for what you believe, but she hopes her story might embolden others, including Republican leadership.

"I do think as being a good friend includes holding a mirror up to someone when they're wrong. I would like the Republican party to hold a mirror up to the Trump administration and the tyranny he's wrecked on our nation," Stegmann said. "I hope they speak out and I hope more people will stand up for what they believe."

In her post on Facebook, she said the president "has emboldened a dark side of our country" and while becoming a Democrat was a change, it wouldn't change beliefs or work.

"I am still the same person, I still vote my mind and conscience," she said in the post. "I believe our world needs more people who feel empowered and who can think for themselves, and stand up to the bullies of the world."
===================

The latest veteran who #tregrets their vote:

==================
Health crisis turned this Trump voter into a Democrat supporter

By Kyung Lah, CNN

September 25, 2018

Lexington, Kentucky (CNN) - David Hansen tried to get the words out. "I lost my health care," he began to say, his voice unexpectedly cracking, barely audible in the din of a people-packed and sweltering warehouse in Nicholasville, Kentucky. At 59, a US Navy veteran and registered Republican, Hansen lowered his head, unable to look at Democrat Amy McGrath, the congressional candidate headlining this political event in the small town outside Lexington.

A retired US Marine and a decade and a half his junior, McGrath put her hand on his shoulder.

Hansen had voted for Trump in 2016. He also voted for the Republican congressman for Kentucky's 6th Congressional District, Andy Barr. But Hansen's fortunes changed in 2017 after he had a stroke, an event so debilitating, he said, he couldn't work, losing his health care coverage. He said he now pays for outside insurance, even though he's entitled to get service from the Department of Veterans Affairs, because he said the care there is so poor.

"There's 535 people up there and they're not doing anything," he said of the members of the House and Senate.

Hansen's struggles illustrate why health care is among the top issues in the midterm elections, dominating political ads, particularly among Democrats, who are attacking Republicans over their efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare. In August, a CNN Poll conducted by SSRS found that 81% of voters considered health care important to their vote, including nearly half (48%) who said it was "extremely important."

"Congress isn't doing anything," Hansen reiterated, frustration woven into every word. "They need to fix the health care program because it's broken. They have to get off their high horse and just do it."

Some of the same politically insurgent reasons he voted for Trump are why he's at a McGrath rally. "She's not a politician," said Hansen, pointing out the national Democrats didn't back McGrath in the primary. "She's also been in the military. She knows what it means to honor her commitments."

McGrath leaned over to Hansen and said the words that sealed his support for her. "I'm going to work very hard. That's all I can promise you."

The issue of health care has made Hansen a Democratic voter in the upcoming midterm elections. And in this ruby red area of Kentucky, it seems he is not the only one.
===========================

billvon

==================

By Kyung Lah, CNN

September 25, 2018

Lexington, Kentucky (CNN) - David Hansen tried to get the words out. "I lost my health care," he began to say, his voice unexpectedly cracking, barely audible in the din of a people-packed and sweltering warehouse in Nicholasville, Kentucky. At 59, a US Navy veteran and registered Republican, Hansen lowered his head, unable to look at Democrat Amy McGrath, the congressional candidate headlining this political event in the small town outside Lexington.

A retired US Marine and a decade and a half his junior, McGrath put her hand on his shoulder.

Hansen had voted for Trump in 2016. He also voted for the Republican congressman for Kentucky's 6th Congressional District, Andy Barr. But Hansen's fortunes changed in 2017 after he had a stroke, an event so debilitating, he said, he couldn't work, losing his health care coverage. He said he now pays for outside insurance, even though he's entitled to get service from the Department of Veterans Affairs, because he said the care there is so poor.

"There's 535 people up there and they're not doing anything," he said of the members of the House and Senate.

Hansen's struggles illustrate why health care is among the top issues in the midterm elections, dominating political ads, particularly among Democrats, who are attacking Republicans over their efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare. In August, a CNN Poll conducted by SSRS found that 81% of voters considered health care important to their vote, including nearly half (48%) who said it was "extremely important."

"Congress isn't doing anything," Hansen reiterated, frustration woven into every word. "They need to fix the health care program because it's broken. They have to get off their high horse and just do it."

Some of the same politically insurgent reasons he voted for Trump are why he's at a McGrath rally. "She's not a politician," said Hansen, pointing out the national Democrats didn't back McGrath in the primary. "She's also been in the military. She knows what it means to honor her commitments."

McGrath leaned over to Hansen and said the words that sealed his support for her. "I'm going to work very hard. That's all I can promise you."

The issue of health care has made Hansen a Democratic voter in the upcoming midterm elections. And in this ruby red area of Kentucky, it seems he is not the only one.

Sad case indeed. Two factors stand out.

One, he has the financial ability to pay for medical insurance.

Two, he is condemning the VA system in his area on hearsay. He has not applied for VA Healthcare himself.

That is just plain obstinant ignorance and it definitely qualifies him to be a Democrat.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

He does now. But he doesn’t have a job anymore. If he’s medically unable to return to work, how long can he keep paying for? It’s that lack of awareness regarding planning for the future that qualifies you to be a supporter of the current administration.

It continues to amaze me that the US system where health insurance as an employment benefit is the de facto standard leaves so many in a position where their healthcare coverage only works when they’re sick enough to need treatment but not to sick to prevent them working. In what way is that ok?

Two, he is condemning the VA system in his area on hearsay. He has not applied for VA Healthcare himself.

It didn’t say that.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That is just plain obstinant ignorance and it definitely qualifies him to be a Democrat.

It's amazing how quickly you turn on one of your own. Here's a veteran who is trying to save his own life and you dismiss his issues just because so far he's actually been able to pay for it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Next thing you know he'll get Medicare and Social Security, retire to the Georgia mountains and start complaining about all those people on entitlement programs.

billvon

Next thing you know he'll get Medicare and Social Security, retire to the Georgia mountains and start complaining about all those people on entitlement programs.

No real conservative would ever participate in such things!:o
Both are socialist programs created by Democrats, (SS by FDR, Medicare by LBJ).>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

billvon

==================

By Kyung Lah, CNN

September 25, 2018

Hoo-boy, Ron. You are a howl, sometimes.