brenthutch

a message to the angry leftists from an american infantryman

https://www.gruntworks11b.com/war-room/a-message-to-the-angry-leftists-from-an-american-infantryman/

"I know you don’t know me. I know you don’t even think about me and when you do, it’s probably not anything nice. I’m the evil hegemonically masculine patriarchal oppressor to you feminists. I’m the jackbooted statist thug to you dope smokin’ long-haired hippies. I’m “The Man” to you racial activists. I’m the idiot who joined the military because I “wasn’t smart enough” to go get a liberal arts degree like you know-it-all 20-year-old college dipshits; and for some reason you hate me for that. I’m that guy with the rifle who signed on the dotted line for $24K a year so that you budding Marxist fucksticks could have the freedom to complain about me and the manner in which I provide it. I have a little message for you...."

***the view expressed in article are not necessarily the views of Brenthutch***

I read the whole thing, too. It's ideological clickbait, full of memes to simplify and objectify "opponents." Turn them into caricatures, and you don't have to deal with them as people, citizens. I don't want some college professor to be the only soldier out there, but I'd rather have an army of college professor types than a college where all of the academic content is taught by people who disdain it, and their students.

Because it's easier to turn a mediocre body into a soldier than it is to turn a mediocre mind into a teacher. The army is all about turning mediocre bodies into soldiers.

And since most feminists don't dress for the entertainment of soldiers who curl their lips at them, I'm not sure what impact people expect that particular slam to have. Is it really better for a woman to dye her hair, spend an hour a day on makeup, and wear uncomfortable clothes to please someone else, than to dress as practically as most men do?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"Why the U.S.-Built House of Cards in the Middle East Is Falling Apart

While lies are almost uniformly held to be unacceptable in the context of a liberal democracy, this is not entirely the case in foreign policy where realists often value lies for their ability to advance a country’s national interest. The entire literature and practice of military strategy, intelligence and counter-espionage is underwritten by deception and lies. The disclosure of NSA mass surveillance has shown us that the U.S. government spies on foes and friends alike. Likewise, the Kremlin has engaged in a disinformation campaign in order to provide Russian foreign policy and, in the case of Ukraine, Russian military intervention and territorial annexation, a veneer of legitimacy.

Relying on lies to advance one’s national interest and maintain stable balances of power is not without its dangers. Lies can undermine worthy policy initiatives by producing blowback from foreign governments and citizens. They can also trap governments into policy positions that no longer serve the national interest. A prime example of these dangers and their negative consequences can be seen in U.S. foreign policy towards the Middle East, where U.S. military and diplomatic engagement with this region that ostensibly is based on realist principles has worked against its own national interest and that of a stable regional balance of power. Far from stabilizing the region, U.S. foreign policy has created a structure in which the United States continues to act as an external force of intrusion."

The article in The National Interest goes on to explain how US "transactional pragmatism" based upon lies and short term alliances has propped up allies and governments. While Obama was a party to this policy. Its most accurately described a trump on steroids.
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/why-the-us-built-house-cards-the-middle-east-falling-apart-18267

I'm going to take a bit of a jump now on how to fight terrorism. The first terrorist campaign was the British effort known as the Malayan Emergency 1948-60.

"Winning, or at least not losing ‘hearts and minds’ is an essential difficulty in counterinsurgency warfare. If destructive force used against insurgents results in civilian casualties and other negative effects for the lives of the local population, counterinsurgency efforts can quickly exacerbate the situation and strengthen the insurgents’ support. Within this context, the use of airpower in counterinsurgency campaigns has been seen as particularly problematic. How can you win hearts and minds by dropping bombs from 15,000 feet?"
http://nottspolitics.org/2014/03/30/can-airpower-winhearts-and-minds-lessons-from-the-malayan-emergency/

The second lessons came about during the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya. Further reading:
https://www.amazon.com/MAN-HUNT-KENYA-IAN-HENDERSON/dp/1298492645/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486127044&sr=8-1&keywords=man+hunt+in+kenya
and a free version of that book here:
https://archive.org/stream/manhuntinkenya006748mbp/manhuntinkenya006748mbp_djvu.txt

Now we get to how to keep US and coalition troops safe. Oh silly me I just forgot we have a new go it alone sheriff in town. A lone wolf gunslinger that doesn't need a posse to ride with him. OK keep US servicemen and servicewomen safe. To not toss their lives away in foolish wars. Fighting enemies invented by lies and politicians.

Back to the American Infantryman. The Malay Emergency, the Mau Mau uprising studies provided the foundations which General Mattis used. In his books on US COIN (how to fight terrorists and enemies in a guerrilla war) warfare. So for the military none of this is new. i.e. how to fight and how to win.

Generals understand the limits of airpower. Understand when a infantryman and a tank is needed. When SEALs, Green Berets and other special forces are the best weapon. With full understanding that a drone airstrike provides full protections for their political hacks. Sorry I meant political masters. The ones who call the shots.

The political masters who tie the hands of service personnel from winning a war. Who send them to war when they should be at home in bed, with their wives. The political masters who option drone strikes when the generals tell them they alone will never win a war. When the generals tell them that "bombing the sh*t out of them" won't win the war either. That it may make the situation worse.

The cornerstone of how this should be done is easy. The President, i.e. a real President. Has the director of the CIA to the left. General Mattis to the right. Then poses the questions:
- How do we defeat IS
- How do we contain the Iranian Shia Mullahs, separate them from the Iranian people, degrade their legitimacy, power and keep them from interfering with their neighbors. i.e. creating a Iran-Shia hegemony thats nuclear armed.
- How do we move the Saudi's to a modern view of Sunni Islam, degrade conservative Sunni mullah influence in the Saudi government.
- Separate Putin and his kleptocratic cronies from their power base. Destroy the empire building aspects of Putin's ideology that is part of his power base.i.e. make Russia great again and the west is an enemy. Without alienating the Russian people.
- Gather a coalition to stop China's ideas of island building as a mechanism to grab resources,territory and influence in the South China sea.
- Keep the US homeland safe from terrorist actions.

Thats whats on the table for trump. bannon is by his side along with his son in law, Jared Kushner
"Jared is considered to be part of the "power center" in the White House, reports the Washington Post, along with Steven Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, and Reince Priebus. But in the early days of the administration, Kushner appears to have gotten caught up in some workplace politics. Sources told the Washington Post that observers "have been alarmed by Kushner's efforts to elbow aside anyone he perceives as a possible threat to his role as Trump's chief consigliere."

According to Vanity Fair, Jared's adjustment to Washington has been tough. "Kushner appears unable to control both his father-in-law and those around him," writes Emily Jane Fox. A source told Fox that Jared's influence on Trump "may be flagging." After Jared successfully negotiated a meeting with Mexico's president, Trump canceled it, leaving Jared "fucking furious." Not only that, Jared isn't looking so great these days, according to Fox's source. "His body language and his demeanor toward Trump had changed, and he had lost a noticeable amount of weight from his already slight frame in just a week."

Apart from a semester as a member of the Institute of Politics during his freshman year at Harvard, Jared has not been engaged politically. While visiting the White House after the election, Jared reportedly asked, "How many of these people stay?" (Answer: Pretty much none.) Though comparatively inexperienced in politics, Jared has proved to be a quick study. "Honestly, Jared is a very successful real estate person, but I actually think he likes politics more than he likes real estate," Donald Trump said at a rally. "But he's very good at politics."...

Jared was studying to get a dual MBA and law degree at New York University (Charles's alma mater and the recipient of another notable donation of $3 million) when his father was sent to prison for tax fraud, witness tampering, and illegal campaign donations. Jared took over Kushner Companies as CEO in 2008 when he was 27 years old, abandoning his legal aspirations. "My dad’s arrest made me realize I didn’t want to be a prosecutor anymore,"

Anybody still here!.... Did I say it was easy. Well there is trump at the helm and ...and... he like the smartest guy ever.

What, slamming the people he's sworn to protect and defend? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

brenthutch

The writer seems to have serious anger management problems

At least he is channeling his anger into something productive unlike these guys

http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/03/nyu-prof-screams-at-the-nypd-because-the

How much you wanna bet that NYU will take disciplinary actions against that prof for that statement?

It may or may not even be written by a real grunt. "Iron Mike" is a pseudonym. Since whoever wrote it won't identify himself there is a strong possibility that he is the real coward.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

It may or may not even be written by a real grunt. "Iron Mike" is a pseudonym. Since whoever wrote it won't identify himself there is a strong possibility that he is the real coward.

"Iron Mike" was best known as NFL player Mike Webster, who died in 2002 and was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, leaving him with cognitive dysfunction.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

We had an Iron Mike here on DZ.com for awhile, too. But he wasn't the guy who wrote that piece either.

Wendy P.

Not a bad article, but like all rants it got a bit rambly and could be improved by some judicious editing.

Simply saying "You don't know me, but I'm the hypocritical asshole who stood silently while right wing crybabies undermined the legitimacy of a democratic president for 8 whole years" would have been enough to get his point across.

The rest is just wasted bandwidth, tbh.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Not a bad article, but like all rants it got a bit rambly and could be improved by some judicious editing.

Simply saying "You don't know me, but I'm the hypocritical asshole who stood silently while right wing crybabies undermined the legitimacy of a democratic president for 8 whole years" would have been enough to get his point across.

The rest is just wasted bandwidth, tbh.

The higher rank version of the same story line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

I didn't get the impression the self-absorbed person that wrote it was a feminist, but I'll take your word for it as it's not worth the effort to find out.
Mostly because he was hiding. So much for the tough guy he wants people to think he is.

brenthutch

***We had an Iron Mike here on DZ.com for awhile, too. But he wasn't the guy who wrote that piece either.

Wendy P.

Iron Mike is a name for statues of service members.

So, not just a pseudonym, but a pretentious one. Check.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

brenthutch

***We had an Iron Mike here on DZ.com for awhile, too. But he wasn't the guy who wrote that piece either.

Wendy P.

I thought this was Iron Mike.

"Onetime Chicago Bears football coach Mike Ditka has not been in charge of an NFL team for 17 years, but the business of being “Iron Mike” has never stopped booming. He’s the tough-as-nails head football coach who’s always ready to shill for any product within arm’s distance or play himself in a Will Ferrell movie. When on ESPN, he is forever armed with a sharp rant and is perhaps their only talent—other than maybe Chis Berman—who can pass gas on live television and make it come off as lovable. That’s just Ditka being Ditka.

But there is another side to Mike Ditka. He’s the guy who was accused of sending players back into games with concussions. He’s the guy who was described this way by former Bears safety Dave Duerson: “Mike was not one who gave a damn about the players or their injuries when he was coaching.” Duerson later took his own life, and in death was diagnosed the brain disease CTE.

Ditka is the guy who berated his own Bears players for not crossing a picket line when the NFLPA was on strike in 1987. He’s the guy today who—after a lifetime of supporting right-wing candidates—shills for another dubious product: Donald Trump. "
https://www.thenation.com/article/the-unbearable-bigotry-of-mike-ditka/

quade

******We had an Iron Mike here on DZ.com for awhile, too. But he wasn't the guy who wrote that piece either.

Wendy P.

So, not just a pseudonym, but a pretentious one. Check.

Pretentious? Not only did I receive an airborne certificate of graduation, but also earned the Airborne "Iron Mike" after being No.1 in my Airborne class. How is that any more pretentious than one who receive a master's or doctorate as "Magna Cum Laude" (I have one of those also). In virtually every field there are honors for going above & beyond. Nobel Prize, Field's Medal, etc. Do you view all earned honors as pretentious or just the military one's?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.