brenthutch

Study finds no racial bias in police shootings

mirage62

If you think it is being casually dismissed it's only because you haven't been listening.

That's the most insane statement I've heard.

All the hysteria about the number of blacks killed by LEO........is NOTHING compared to the monthly number just killed in Chicago.

Your a very frequent poster here.....find me a thread that anywhere as long and as detailed as when a white cop is involved in a killing of a black man. Ferguson.....post after post after post .....hundreds. Now show me the post where all my liberal friends discuss as emotionally the black on black murder rate.

Well, part of that is the media. Black on black violence simply doesn't get the headlines.

Also, I have yet to see any vocal defense of, say a gang banger who kills a kid. I don't see anyone saying how "he has a tough job", or "he just wants to go home at the end of his shift." I don't see the Mayor or Chief of Police refusing to release video of an incident, claiming that it would be detrimental to the investigation.

I don't see any reaction that "the kid should have not been there" or any of that sort of 'victim blaming' so prevalent with police involved shootings.

I do see the community at large reacting with revulsion and outrage at it. I see community leaders calling for action. It's just that, like the killings themselves, the media doesn't give it a whole lot of attention.

And last, but certainly not least, I don't see any criminals running around in cars that have the words "To Protect And Serve" written on the side.

Criminals commit crimes. That's what they do. The cops are supposed to be part of the solution, not being out there committing murder.

THAT is why it's a problem. When the people who are supposed to be protecting the community are out there killing people, it's a problem. The cops have gotten their way for so long, now that there's commonly video evidence of what really happened (and video that the cops can't keep to themselves), a lot of these shootings are getting noticed. Some (many?) are justified. Michael Brown in Ferguson was. But the way the cops handled it showed their contempt for the public.

So every shooting, justified or not, will be closely scrutinized. We've seen three indictments of cops for killing in the past year (Chicago, Cincinnati and North Charleston). We will likely see another in Minnesota.

Compare that to how rare those sorts of indictments have been in the past.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You evidently think the hypocrisy is acceptable.

I don't say that at all. But it's not on topic, and mentioning it is a diversionary tactic. You always go off on tangents unrelated to the subject at hand. I just refuse to take my eyes off the ball. There are many unjust things going on in the world. This thread is about LEO's and racial bias. Feel free to start a thread about other violent things that disturb you. You are the OP in this thread, go back and read the title. You wrote it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

That's the most insane statement I've heard.

All the hysteria about the number of blacks killed by LEO........is NOTHING compared to the monthly number just killed in Chicago.

Your a very frequent poster here.....find me a thread that anywhere as long and as detailed as when a white cop is involved in a killing of a black man. Ferguson.....post after post after post .....hundreds. Now show me the post where all my liberal friends discuss as emotionally the black on black murder rate.

wolfriverjoe said it better than I would. See his response.

By the way, I wasn't talking about threads on dz.com. I was talking about the real world, where people have been very vocal for a long time about the problem of black-on-black crime.

If you're going to limit what you hear about an issue to the threads on dz.com then you're going to get a pretty skewed perspective on what's going on in the world.

- Dan G

DanG

If you're going to limit what you hear about an issue to the threads on dz.com then you're going to get a pretty skewed perspective on what's going on in the world.

best quote of the year

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

nolhtairt

Which blacks are outraged? Or are just assuming that?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

nolhtairt

paged through the comments - I don't see any outrage from anyone. Lot's of agreements, but I only paged down a bit. I saw a couple comments like yours or people jumping to that result......methinks very premature.

edit: nevermind, Gowlerk beat me to the comment

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

wolfriverjoe

Well, part of that is the media. Black on black violence simply doesn't get the headlines.

Sure it does. Chicago's murder rate is headlines (especially in the pro-gun media which still like to claim Chicago's gun laws are restrictive when they aren't any longer), and it's nearly all black on black.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

normiss

I don't think as a society we expect criminals to not be criminals, however we do NOT expect cops to be criminal.
Cops killing any and every innocent citizen should be met with outrage.

Yet, it depends on how black you are, for the amount of outrage you receive.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Yet, it depends on how black you are, for the amount of outrage you receive.

Makes sense. How black (or hispanic) you are determines your likelihood of being shot if you are not threatening a cop. 3 out of 5 police shootings (60%) of such shootings are black or hispanic, even though they only make up 30% of the population. Thus it makes sense that there's more outrage over that.

Lesson - don't be black or hispanic if you want to avoid being shot for doing nothing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/wp/2015/12/26/2015/12/26/a-year-of-reckoning-police-fatally-shoot-nearly-1000/

gowlerk

the is no racial bias regarding police shootings

And you wish to ignore that fact.

But there is racial bias regarding police use of non-deadly force.

Deadly and non-deadly....what are the other options? What don't you get about the force part of law enFORCEment?

Some of use would like to see more emphasis on "protect and serve".

What are LEOs suposed to protect us from?

brenthutch

Deadly and non-deadly....what are the other options? What don't you get about the force part of law enFORCEment?

Yourselves

gowlerk

Yourselves

And perhaps a bit of force may be in order to affect that outcome.

brenthutch

Right now there's an LEO outside my house protecting motorists from running into a tree branch that came down and blocked the street during tonight's storm.

kallend

Right now there's an LEO outside my house protecting motorists from running into a tree branch that came down and blocked the street during tonight's storm.

Is that tree branch selling "loosies" and pirated CDs with an illegal handgun and resisting attempts to remove it from blocking your street?

brenthutch

Is that tree branch selling "loosies" and pirated CDs with an illegal handgun and resisting attempts to remove it from blocking your street?

Why would motorists need protection from loosies and pirated CDs?

turtlespeed

I am focusing on the lie that white cops are killing unarmed blacks regularly when if fact it is rare.

That wasn't part of the study. Learn to read.

Learn to be less insulting and civil.

this is not in his DNA
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't think as a society we expect criminals to not be criminals, however we do NOT expect cops to be criminal.
Cops killing any and every innocent citizen should be met with outrage.

I get your point Mark but there seems to be a lack of balance that may not bother you but it does me....

Take Ferguson......pretty much when it was all said and done we find that was a justifiable shooting. Look what happen because of a few people not telling the truth up "His hands were up"

Freddy Gray isn't looking all that promising also.

I'm NOT saying these shouldn't have been looked at HARD. I'm just say that a far larger problem is being ignored.

It doesn't make sense to me.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

By the way, I wasn't talking about threads on dz.com. I was talking about the real world, where people have been very vocal for a long time about the problem of black-on-black crime.

Really? A concentrated country wide effort, strongly and often supported by our President? Hours and hours of discussion on TV shows? How about Hollywood, hear a bunch from them? I think not.

Look I'm all for taking steps to prevent these things. Personally I believe that if you carry a weapon as a LEO you should have body video and it BETTER be on.

But eliminating 100% of ALL LEO shooting of ALL blacks (some I think we can agree are justified) won't change the fact that the most common way for a black male to die a violet death is at the hands of another black male.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Some of those incidents are simply not national news worthy, but they aren't being ignored.
I read a lot of local papers from some big cities simply out of curiosity, it's quite interesting to see the local perspective as opposed to the national prescription drug pushing evening "news".
Outrageous stories will always get more exposure and coverage.
The lack of respect for human life doesn't make sense period.

White kids get shot too

mirage62

I get your point Mark but there seems to be a lack of balance that may not bother you but it does me....

Take Ferguson......pretty much when it was all said and done we find that was a justifiable shooting. Look what happen because of a few people not telling the truth up "His hands were up"

I'm NOT saying these shouldn't have been looked at HARD. I'm just say that a far larger problem is being ignored.

What "larger problem"?

In Ferguson, the shooting was justified. Unarmed doesn't mean "not a threat."

BUT...

Look at how the cops handled it. They left the body sit out (in August) for over 6 hours while they did their "investigation".
How long would a dead cop lay there before they would see it was properly seen to (out of respect for the dead cop, of course)?

When questions were asked, the cops either lied or stonewalled. They fully expected their version of the story to be accepted at face value. But it turned out to not be the truth.

AND the subsequent investigation found widespread, systemic racism and abuse of the populace by the cops.

The riots were as much a reaction to a long and persistent pattern of discrimination as they were to the shooting.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

What "larger problem"?

In Ferguson, the shooting was justified. Unarmed doesn't mean "not a threat."

BUT...

Look at how the cops handled it. They left the body sit out (in August) for over 6 hours while they did their "investigation".
How long would a dead cop lay there before they would see it was properly seen to (out of respect for the dead cop, of course)?

When questions were asked, the cops either lied or stonewalled. They fully expected their version of the story to be accepted at face value. But it turned out to not be the truth.

AND the subsequent investigation found widespread, systemic racism and abuse of the populace by the cops.

The riots were as much a reaction to a long and persistent pattern of discrimination as they were to the shooting.

The racism you post about came from a DOJ claim

I do not trust that dept any fricking further than it can be drop kicked.

Funny how the story line changes once the lies of Ferguson are exposed
Abraham Lincoln

Interesting comments (very different comments) from our President.

Pulled from Bierttbart but he still said the following.

Two very different President Barack Obamas spoke at the “national conversation” on police and crime event that was choreographed by ABC News.
The first President Barack Obama was all race-and discrimination, while pushing his plan to federalize the nation’s 18,000 state and local police forces as a noble cause against the racism that has scarred the country from birth.

“I think if we’re honest with ourselves, that because of the history of our country, and because of images we receive as we’re growing up, etc., oftentimes, there’s a presumption that black men are dangerous … that has to be worked through, and police officers who are getting that training end up being able to engage and de-escalate encounters more effectively,” he claimed during the TV show, which was grandly titled “The President and The People: A National Conversation.”

But the second President Barack Obama was sheepish, admitting that maybe, yes, when you look at it, yes, it is obvious that young African-American men are far more criminally dangerous than are young white, Latino or Asian men.

It is absolutely true that the murder rate in the African-American community is way out of whack compared to the general population, and both the victims and perpetrators are black, young black men.

The — the single greatest cause of death for young black men between the ages of 18 and 35 is homicide. And that’s crazy, that is crazy. And so we have to acknowledge that and that means that we can’t put the burden on the police alone.

… Now this is tough. I have presided over more memorials of mass shootings than I would like. And it’s heartbreaking. But that doesn’t even count the hundreds of [African-American] kids, just in the South Side of Chicago, who’ve been shot.

video here
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/07/15/obama-crime-black-irish-cop/
Abraham Lincoln