brenthutch

Study finds no racial bias in police shootings

normiss

Some of those incidents are simply not national news worthy, but they aren't being ignored.
I read a lot of local papers from some big cities simply out of curiosity, it's quite interesting to see the local perspective as opposed to the national prescription drug pushing evening "news".
Outrageous stories will always get more exposure and coverage.
The lack of respect for human life doesn't make sense period.

White kids get shot too

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-video-shows-fatal-shooting-083124923.html Actual shooting is shown. Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop. Though I think the couple of shots they did after he was already laying there crossed the line.

Graphic video.

nolhtairt

***Some of those incidents are simply not national news worthy, but they aren't being ignored.
I read a lot of local papers from some big cities simply out of curiosity, it's quite interesting to see the local perspective as opposed to the national prescription drug pushing evening "news".

White kids get shot too

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-video-shows-fatal-shooting-083124923.html Actual shooting is shown. Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop. Though I think the couple of shots they did after he was already laying there crossed the line.

Graphic video.

Disobedience is not a capital crime. If it were, no child would live past 3 years old.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

nolhtairt

***Some of those incidents are simply not national news worthy, but they aren't being ignored.

White kids get shot too

Graphic video.

One additional thing of note. The suspect didn't just pull over to the side of the road, he pulled into a gas station so the officers also had to be concerned for the safety of all the people there as well as their own.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

nolhtairt

Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

While Kallend has a solid point, I agree that keeping his hand out of sight was moronic and pretty much sealed his fate.

Though I think the couple of shots they did after he was already laying there crossed the line.

This is the bit I don't get in so many of the videos out there - cops shoot someone, but then once the initial threat is removed there is no attempt whatsoever to prevent the person actually dying??? I mean wtf?

Once they dropped this guy, it was visibly clear he didn't have a weapon to hand, and it's not like he was in any state to stop a quick search to make sure there was nothing on his person that was still a threat. Then they could at least *attempt* to stem bleeding until medics arrive.

But no. Let's just shoot him again to make sure he stays down. :S
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

***Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

While Kallend has a solid point, I agree that keeping his hand out of sight was moronic and pretty much sealed his fate.

Being a moron is not a capital offense either.

kallend

******Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

I wonder what your reaction would have been - if you had the responsibility of protecting the people around you. In that exact situation. I wonder what would you have done?

Not now - not after you have had time to dissect every moment f the encounter. But in real time as it unfolded. My bet is your reaction would have been about the same as mine and the same as the officers.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

I wonder what your reaction would have been - if you had the responsibility of protecting the people around you. In that exact situation. I wonder what would you have done?

Not now - not after you have had time to dissect every moment f the encounter. But in real time as it unfolded. My bet is your reaction would have been about the same as mine and the same as the officers.

So you're OK with summarily executing someone for being a disobedient moron. Nice to know that.

kallend

************Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

So you're OK with summarily executing someone for being a disobedient moron threat. Nice to know that.

FIFY. Until it was over, nothing was known about the person aside from they weren't complying.

How do you propose officers deal with potential threats to themselves and others if the person won't comply?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

kallend

************Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

So you're OK with summarily executing someone for being a disobedient moron. Nice to know that.

Being forced into "suicide by cop" is never Okay.

Tell me the exact steps that should have been taken to avoid the issue.

Maybe the officer should have just holstered his weapon, and gone up to hug the guy.
You know, because having his hand behind his bac is indicative of him wanting to surprise the officer with flowers, right?

I would LOVE to see your reaction in that exact real life scenario.

WWKD?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Bolas

***************Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

So you're OK with summarily executing someone for being a disobedient moron threat. Nice to know that.

FIFY. Until it was over, nothing was known about the person aside from they weren't complying.

How do you propose officers deal with potential threats to themselves and others if the person won't comply?

So you too are OK with summarily executing someone for being disobedient. There was no threat, just failure to instantly comply with a command.

kallend

******************Dude wouldn't listen to the cops so it appears like suicide by cop.

So you too are OK with summarily executing someone for being disobedient. There was no threat, just failure to instantly comply with a command.

Yu keep replying to posts that ask what you would have done.

WWKD?

You didn't read any of the rest, did you?
If minorities are more disproportionately stopped, and then killed in proportion to the stops, then they are still disproportionately killed. And that is, in fact, a fuller picture of what the paper said. It's just as easy to take a single fact out of a paper as it is to take a single verse out of the Bible. And just as misleading if you use itnin isolation to justify your own conclusion.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If minorities are more disproportionately stopped,

In proportion to the population, or proportion to those committing crimes?

There are many really sad parts that are being missed in the conversation our country really needs to have, one of which is black-on-black crime. Blacks commit a large portion of crimes, way beyond their proportion to the population, and that's why cops stop blacks disproportionately. That must be acknowledged in any meaningful conversation to be had about this topic.

The Washington Post (a very liberal newspaper) did a study and found ~500 people have been killed by cops this year. Of that number, ~125 were black. White people have been killed double that number.

Liberals keep spouting false narratives (e.g., Black Lives Matter's Hands Up). That _HAS_ to stop if any meaningful conversation is going to be had now. And our country _REALLY_ needs to have a meaningful conversation. Safe spaces and micro aggressions are b-llsh-t.
We are all engines of karma

wmw999

If minorities are more disproportionately stopped, and then killed in proportion to the stops, then they are still disproportionately killed.

...and that probably has less to do with racial bias and more to do with the fact that the majority of minorities live in densely populated areas where there is a much higher police ratio.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-farbota/black-crime-rates-your-st_b_8078586.html

Huffington Post

Black people, more often than white people, live in dense urban areas. Dense urban areas are more heavily policed than suburban or rural areas. When people live in close proximity to one another, police can monitor more people more often. In more heavily policed areas, people committing crimes are caught more frequently.

Detroit for example has a population that is at least 4 times as dense, with 4 times the number of cops per 1000 people, and a crime rate that's 10 times as high as the surrounding suburban/rural areas. Of course the numbers are going to be disproportionate - but what does that have to do with racial bias on part of the cops?
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour