rushmc

Let the Show Begin

I remember some of these. Those who caused the violnce either incited it or were plants. Some I have not heard of.

Links?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

When I was employed as a counselor emotions always carried more weight than logic. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy brings the two factors together in decision making but emotions are the main consideration when working with the client. The reason is that emotions are real and logic is always debatable.

It tickles me every time I see someone attempting to best another poster by attacking his logic.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you think feelings are more important than reality when it comes to making decisions.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rushmc

I remember some of these. Those who caused the violnce either incited it or were plants. Some I have not heard of.

Yeah, but those who caused violence at Occupy Wall Street were plants too.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

quade

***The reason is that emotions are real and logic is always debatable.

Only to a philosophy major.

Hell, even Ayn Rand says, "A is A."

Not in Marc's Looking Glass World.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>>>Never seen a tea party event get violent

>>(list of violent tea party events)

>I remember some of these.

OK, then.

>Those who caused the violnce either incited it or were plants.

Yes, the people who caused it incited it. By definition.

billvon

OK, then.

This about sums up his MO, every single time.

The reason is that emotions are real and logic is always debatable.

This brings two things to mind. It's the reason that the presidential candidate more voters would like to share a beer with will always win.

It tickles me every time I see someone attempting to best another poster by attacking his logic.

And secondly, I have been guilty of rolling around in the dirt with Marc. And it also makes me laugh to see other doing it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jakee

When I was employed as a counselor emotions always carried more weight than logic. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy brings the two factors together in decision making but emotions are the main consideration when working with the client. The reason is that emotions are real and logic is always debatable.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you think feelings are more important than reality when it comes to making decisions.

Feelings are reality. I'm a student of Fritz Perls.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jakee

"In persuasion, your message has to focus on emotions, all the while maintaining a balance between logic and feelings. Logic and emotion are the two elements that make for perfect persuasion. We can be persuasive using only logic or only emotion, but the effect will be short-term and unbalanced."

That was just some shit that I've heard on the internet, but given my experience, it holds true.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

billvon

OK, then.

Damn right
people are responcible for their own actions
Trump talking is not an action of violence

But then the left does this all the time

Blame the victim when is suits them

Nothing new here
And it is one sided as usual

Remember Obama
"Get in their faces"
Bring a gun to a knife fight

These thugs are inspired by him
Not Trump
Abraham Lincoln

gowlerk

The reason is that emotions are real and logic is always debatable.

This brings two things to mind. It's the reason that the presidential candidate more voters would like to share a beer with will always win.

***It tickles me every time I see someone attempting to best another poster by attacking his logic.

And secondly, I have been guilty of rolling around in the dirt with Marc. And it also makes me laugh to see other doing it.

Ya

I need to stay out of your dirt[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

Feelings are an individual reality, and not accessible to others outside the direct communication of the feeling owner. Makes them pretty subjective (sample conversation: "I'm fine" :P)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Feelings are an individual reality, and not accessible to others outside the direct communication of the feeling owner. Makes them pretty subjective

Yet through these these emotions we identify with each other and perceptions are formed. Our emotions are akin to one another, allowing us to empathize with people we've never even met - unless of course you're a sociopath - YMMV.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Feelings and logic should both inform the interaction with other people. To say that either is more important is silly. People who are trying to make a point will emphasize how much better their use of logic (or feelings) is than "those others" (whether the others are heartless, stupid, sheeple, perverts, bubbas or over-educated snobs who don't understand the real world).

Only by understanding ones self can one understand the world -- how else can one know what internal thought and emotional filters are being applied? Even then, no one is free of these biases.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Feelings and logic should both inform the interaction with other people. To say that either is more important is silly. People who are trying to make a point will emphasize how much better their use of logic (or feelings) is than "those others" (whether the others are heartless, stupid, sheeple, perverts, bubbas or over-educated snobs who don't understand the real world).

Only by understanding ones self can one understand the world -- how else can one know what internal thought and emotional filters are being applied? Even then, no one is free of these biases.

you say it nicely, only when emotions overwhelm logic is when bad decisions are make - self gratification at the expense of others, desire to do short term good that have terrible long term consequences, etc etc etc tend to be the abuses of emotion over logic.

I'd think one can likely give the converse examples of over-prioritizing logic over emotion, but right now I'm drawing a blank. Each good case seems heartless until one thinks it all the way through (that whole long term vs short term thing keeps coming into play). However, I think logical decisions are required - by logic - to acknowledge that the race is emotional, so the logical path must include an element of how the populace reacts emotionally...

I do think that emotions are a key piece of empathy - and empathy is required to fully understand and process information - so that's logical - as long as one knows that empathy is NOT equal to sympathy or agreement (which I observe to be the big trip up for many).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Trump talking is not an action of violence . . .

>Remember Obama
>"Get in their faces"
>Bring a gun to a knife fight

>These thugs are inspired by him

The standard RushMC post construction.

"My side did nothing wrong! And even if they did, the other guy did it first. And blame Obama."

billvon

>Trump talking is not an action of violence . . .

>Remember Obama
>"Get in their faces"
>Bring a gun to a knife fight

>These thugs are inspired by him

The standard RushMC post construction.

"My side did nothing wrong! And even if they did, the other guy did it first. And blame Obama."

Showing your double standard
And trump did nothing wrong
I blame no but....
Since Trump speak is bad Obama speak should be too?

For you anyway?

What say you?
Abraham Lincoln

I tend towards logic as a rule, but find that emotion, or at least understanding it, is so key to dealing with other people that if you try to avoid it entirely, the team is inferior. In part because I think that people who are largely driven by logic can a let emotions (which effectively negates the logic) impact the course of action more easily than people who are largely driven by emotion can let logic impact their desired end.

Emotions are owned; logic is acknowledged, but cannot be controlled. So someone can feel more like they're in charge when using emotions.

And, frankly, looking at logical consequences in complex human situations can only go so far as a rule; there end up being so many permutations of possibilities that evaluating them takes more time than is available for a decision.

So out me down with logic, and with acknowledging that only using emotion as a tool is manipulative; I have to acknowledge it, and use it to color the directions I want to go.

How do you think we decided to retire to western Massachusetts, of all places :P. It wasn't all logic.

Wendy P.

rushmc

I read both sides
Like I said, I even go to the Huffington Post sometimes

Depends on the links and the story lines

Then your reasoning for not watching main stream media doesn't make any sense.

***Yes, they are shilling for Trump
And

As I said, I do not care for Trump

But you also don't like liberals. And your reasoning for staying away from main stream media is that they are biased.

How do you determine between biased news sources which one you should avoid and which one should be used to help form an opinion?

the only reading I avoid are sights that are clearly radical
Nothing else

And I have friends who are liberals
I do not hate them
I do not agree with them but it is you who attaches emotion to this. Not me
I bet you have conservative friends
You hate them?

AAARRRRRGH!

Please - PLEASE - P L E A S E !!!!

It is SITE - not Sight.

It makes my noodle hurt.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>And trump did nothing wrong

Other than encourage his supporters to "knock the crap" out of protesters, and promising to support them if they did that.

"I love the old days. You know what they used to do to guys like that when they were in a place like this? They'd be carried out on a stretcher, folks."

"I'd like to punch him in the face, I'll tell ya."

"If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously. Okay? Just knock the hell. I promise you I will pay for the legal fees. I promise."

DanG

Since Trump speak is bad Obama speak should be too?

That has got the be the most Tarzan sentence you've ever written.

Answer the question
Abraham Lincoln