turtlespeed

Gotta love that college education

CornishChris

I knew all the answers except the year of independence. I'm British.

I think a similar survey in the UK would throw up similar issues. The youth are, generally, totally disconnected to the system!

Since it was in Texas, my guess would have been 1836. Prior to that, Texas was State of Mexico, not a colony of Britain.

NewGuy2005

I hate to spoil the fun, but it is possible that they didn't show the 100+ respondents that got all the answers right.

The fact that anyone possessed of such consummate ignorance could get accepted to an accredited university speaks badly for the institution.

I can't imagine anyone passing the Regents Exam in New York and being a High School graduate - or the GED for that matter - with such an abysmal lack of awareness of fundamentals.

I flunked out of High School and even I knew all the answers (I have never seen 'Jersey Shore,' but am aware of its notoriety).

BSBD,

Winsor

NewGuy2005

I hate to spoil the fun, but it is possible that they didn't show the 100+ respondents that got all the answers right.

OK - so they interview 200 respondents.

-- 6 are completely oblivious
-- 190 (math error fixed - credit to Stumpy) knew the answers and thought it a bit overly simple
-- 4 are go getters the crew had to run away from because they went into incredible details, knew the histories behind all the questions and wanted an "A" for the effort.

So they make a video and show the 6 'obliviots'

So it's a different conclusion for me -

the 'crew' wanted to highlight the ignorance of today's youth,
they went and took the data they had,

and then cherry picked the results that proved their conclusion despite the overwhelming evidence

it's the 'new' scientific method (really it's the old one, but now we're just more obtuse about it)

1 - facts and data be damned, I want to put out a message even if I have to manufacture a 'Cause' to be outraged about
2 - self involvement and narcissism are the words of today
3 - everyone gets an A - do what feels good

(or - throw all that out and a couple kids wanted to make something entertaining. Good for them.

I'm good with it either way - you people decide)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

OK - so they interview 200 respondents.

-- 6 are completely oblivious
-- 290 knew the answers and thought it a bit overly simple
-- 4 are go getters the crew had to run away from because they went into incredible details, knew the histories behind all the questions and wanted an "A" for the effort.

So they make a video and show the 6 'obliviots'

Mathematics not your strong point at college?

;)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

Mathematics not your strong point at college?

;)

DAMN - I better go fix that. LOL
learning point - this is what happens when in management too long.

Edit: and that was after fixing a ton of spelling errors and more....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This is SC. Never admit you were wrong. Ever.

Just redirect the thread to something totally unrelated, or accuse the person who pointed out your error of being a bully or arrogant.

Jeez, I'd think you would know how this works by now.

- Dan G

DanG

This is SC. Never admit you were wrong. Ever.

Just redirect the thread to something totally unrelated, or accuse the person who pointed out your error of being a bully or arrogant.

Jeez, I'd think you would know how this works by now.

could you please provide a cite for that?
I can't respond to you unless you provide your source for me to discredit without reading.
Do you hate children that much?

winsor

The fact that anyone possessed of such consummate ignorance could get accepted to an accredited university speaks badly for the institution.

Exactly. I believe the point here is that SOME are ignorant of the very basic questions asked.
There are many similar YouTubes from different colleges around the country.
It's amazing that even one possessing such limited, but important knowledge got into the schools. Makes you wonder just what is going on in high schools.
The parents should be seeing these.

tikl68

The only one I didnt know was who is snookie or what show was she on? 1776 by the way, as william wallace put it FREEDOM! But then again I enjoy History in general and find it interesting.

1776 was the year we declared independence. It wasn't recognized (e.g., the British government stopped fighting to get us back under control) until the Treaty of Paris in 1783. It took us until 1787 to ratify a constitution.

So, I would have considered that a trick question by the interviewer. Of course, I couldn't reference 1783 readily (had to look that one up), so my answer would have been my first sentence above (emphasis included).
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

***The only one I didnt know was who is snookie or what show was she on? 1776 by the way, as william wallace put it FREEDOM! But then again I enjoy History in general and find it interesting.

1776 was the year we declared independence. It wasn't recognized (e.g., the British government stopped fighting to get us back under control) until the Treaty of Paris in 1783. It took us until 1787 to ratify a constitution.

So, I would have considered that a trick question by the interviewer. Of course, I couldn't reference 1783 readily (had to look that one up), so my answer would have been my first sentence above (emphasis included).

Teacher's pet......:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

TriGirl

Geez, you'd certainly never get on TV.

TriGirl

***The only one I didnt know was who is snookie or what show was she on? 1776 by the way, as william wallace put it FREEDOM! But then again I enjoy History in general and find it interesting.

quick!! shut off the camera - this doesn't confirm our hypothesis so delete the interview!!

billvon

***1776 was the year we declared independence. It wasn't recognized (e.g., the British government stopped fighting to get us back under control) until the Treaty of Paris in 1783. It took us until 1787 to ratify a constitution.

You never know. I had a teacher in high school who was on Jaywalking with Jay Leno and got a pretty simple question wrong. I talked to her afterwards and she told me how she had answered questions for quite a long time and that was the only one she got wrong. She also said that the whole process of being interviewed by Jay Leno, the lights, cameras, etc. were distracting and made it a lot harder to focus.

So TriGirl may make one blunder in a long conversation and only see that part on TV.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mrubin

******1776 was the year we declared independence. It wasn't recognized (e.g., the British government stopped fighting to get us back under control) until the Treaty of Paris in 1783. It took us until 1787 to ratify a constitution.

You never know. I had a teacher in high school who was on Jaywalking with Jay Leno and got a pretty simple question wrong. I talked to her afterwards and she told me how she had answered questions for quite a long time and that was the only one she got wrong. She also said that the whole process of being interviewed by Jay Leno, the lights, cameras, etc. were distracting and made it a lot harder to focus.

So TriGirl may make one blunder in a long conversation and only see that part on TV.

Nah, heavily edited video is proof!

SkyDekker

*********1776 was the year we declared independence. It wasn't recognized (e.g., the British government stopped fighting to get us back under control) until the Treaty of Paris in 1783. It took us until 1787 to ratify a constitution.

Nah, heavily edited video is proof!

Oh yeah, I forgot this was SC
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mrubin

******1776 was the year we declared independence. It wasn't recognized (e.g., the British government stopped fighting to get us back under control) until the Treaty of Paris in 1783. It took us until 1787 to ratify a constitution.

TriGirl may LIKELY have made a blunder. I totally agree with the part of your post I bolded. Being ambushed already puts stress on the person. Not to mention hearing questions like that would make most people more confused, wondering whether they were trick questions, or "did I hear that right?" However, those were ridiculously easy questions, and they did show the same interview subjects failing repeated questions. Could they have given them more of a break off camera before asking the easy, pop-culture questions? Sure. And I have no doubt there were other edits made for entertainment value. But all that aside, seriously, college students should have no excuse for failing the entire string of government and history questions posed.

Okay, I didn't mean for that to sound like a rant, but it probably does. I really meant that as a rhetorical, personal opinion/goal. :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!