melch

Coddling of the American Mind

In an attempt to elevate some of the discussion in SC away from the usual (Rep vs Dem, Gun control in America, Us vs Them police discussions, I read a very interesting article in the Atlantic this morning discussing the one of several undertones in many of the debates found in SC. The article focuses mainly on oversensitivity and the development of said oversensitivity.

Here is the link
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Would love to hear some other thoughts on this.

A really interesting Article that describes the current situation well.

I have no Idea how to solve this...

I think the only way to cope with this for the university administration to stop caving to this bullshit.

The only weapon these people have is public outrage... If nobody gets outraged this stops immediately. This is a vocal minority.

IMHO Students should have to accept a basic code of conduct which describes what is expected of students in an academic environment.
Breaching this code of conduct should be grounds for expulsion.

Further... A lot of the demands these put forth could be in violation free speech laws. This depends on the level of public funding of the uni of course.

I call it the wussification of America. It is political correctness run amok. The whole attitude and movement is not beneficial to our society.

When I was growing up it was considered part of the maturation process to learn to take a punch. Now we are obsessed with not having our feelings hurt.

C'mon kids, get over it. Learn to stand on your own two feet, wipe your own ass, feed yourself and maybe, just maybe, you will become a responsible, productive member of the real world.

Oh yeah, learn how to use a weapon and get a concealed carry permit.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I call it the wussification of America. It is political correctness run amok. The whole attitude and movement is not beneficial to our society.

When I was growing up it was considered part of the maturation process to learn to take a punch. Now we are obsessed with not having our feelings hurt.

C'mon kids, get over it. Learn to stand on your own two feet, wipe your own ass, feed yourself and maybe, just maybe, you will become a responsible, productive member of the real world.

Awe we, maybe they just need a hug.
Do you need a hug Ron?

Anyone else need a hug?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Somewhere there's a happy medium between idiocy like this, and the kind of idiocy that makes it OK to poke fun at some groups simply because they don't have the power to object. Like women, or blacks, or native Americans. Locally, one of the colleges has an early colonist who advocated and formalized the giving of smallpox-inoculated blankets to Indians. The fact that it happened a long time ago really doesn't make it a whole lot better.
It's a lot easier to tell people to harden the fuck up if you're the one dishing it out rather than taking it. This comes from someone with 40 years in skydiving and often make-dominated jobs, who was successful enough in both of them not to have been a victim.
Bu, Ya know -- the fact that I need to justify my right to object is kind of proof that power is allocated by groups, and not just individual worth.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

turtlespeed

***I call it the wussification of America. It is political correctness run amok. The whole attitude and movement is not beneficial to our society.

Do you need a hug Ron?

Anyone else need a hug?

I need a hug. Someone called me a faggot on the interwebz and I haven't left my house in 6 days because I'm so scared.

I blame the angst of the Dems vs Reps and the lack of guns caused by global warming affecting the way police violence showed how Clinton and Bush raced to do it first.

But I'd rather not talk about it, that micro aggression makes me uncomfortable.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

melch

In an attempt to elevate some of the discussion in SC away from the usual (Rep vs Dem, Gun control in America, Us vs Them police discussions, I read a very interesting article in the Atlantic this morning discussing the one of several undertones in many of the debates found in SC. The article focuses mainly on oversensitivity and the development of said oversensitivity.

Here is the link
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Would love to hear some other thoughts on this.

So much yes! I'm just glad I haven't experienced much of these situations.

Related to this, a big factor in rising tuition costs is the huge increase in # of administrators (and their salaries) that significantly out paces the increase in # of students. One of the biggest areas, using the (California) UC system as an example is the creation of "Diversity" departments and all their staff to essentially police all the other departments with regards to hiring (which often hires under or barely qualified candidates), procedures, curriculum, conduct, etc.

I think I love you, but not in a homophobic, sexist, gender specific kinda way............;):P:oB|

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

http://wilson.med.harvard.edu/nb204/AuthorityAndAmericanUsage.pdf

This is relevant, you should read it all (you will be a better person for it), but the politically correct stuff starts toward the end.

This trend is part of the evolution of dealing with a problem, it is both inevitable and necessary. Much like the anti-establishment and hippie movements of the 60's and 70's were necessary to develop a sense of government mistrust. This sort over reaction is part of dealing with social issues of race and gender. The hippies didn't win, but I think influenced our culture for the better (anyone who doesn't have a bit a mistrust for the government is a fool) and confronting race/gender issues is something we have to do, the super-pussies won't win, but they will force everyone else to address the issue.

If you are going to really look at something, you have to do so from every angle, all extremes and a moderate view. This is just an example of one extreme, and it is college students (extreme political views are kinda their thing).

Delicious irony in the right's whining about college students' whining.

The right has been whining about college students for as long as I can remember. The issues change but the whining goes on.

Whiners!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

JohnnyMarko

******I call it the wussification of America. It is political correctness run amok. The whole attitude and movement is not beneficial to our society.

Do you need a hug Ron?

Anyone else need a hug?

I need a hug. Someone called me a faggot on the interwebz and I haven't left my house in 6 days because I'm so scared.

Is that offensive or scary?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yet again this is a problem of prosperity and amnesia.
Prosperity causes comfort, too much comfort causes a lack of perspective. Amnesia of the parents makes them forget what the generation in the past did and had to do for this prosperity.

So they teach their children skills that are not connected to actual real life and name it progress.
tell me which one of you adults have ever seen a world where the losers and winners are treated the same? never! good that's the right answer, so why the fuck are you teaching it to your kids??.

Also as a nation we have a hard time with truth ( i can literally write pages and pages about this and how it all relates, but whats the point here, i have noticed most don't like details), so when the adults are living in lala land, what would you expect from the kids.

But no worries you are all a unique special snow flake and your kids are sooooooooooooo special, don't let reality hurt your feelings. Save your feelings cause they matter so much.

Solution: mandatory boot camp, then 24 months civil service within US boarders. OH as the public if some kill them selves because they are too weak, or die in training guess what! SHIT happens. The outcry as if life is fair and there is always someone to blame, and as if some are not just weak bitchs who need to die or adapt. That's real life that's real nature.

When you take natural selection out of the equation the species will not last long after that.

In short everyone needs to SUCK IT UP CUPCAKE.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

DanG

What have you done that makes you so damn tough?

I wroth this small short chronicle of my life to post to you then hit delete. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with what i wroth, but honestly talking about one self positively on line for people who have no clue about it is a giant waist of time. Not to mention kind of douchy in my book.

Are you arguing that the soft way most of the youth is brought up not directly related to the over sensitivity? The general weakness that is in the new generation?

If you want to know my life see me at a DZ ill even buy the beer we can talk.

I think the current generation is going to end up being just as tough as any of the previous. Since the dawn of recorded history, people have been bitching about the kids these days. Nothing has changed in the last 25 years that's going to significantly change humanity.

- Dan G

>Since the dawn of recorded history, people have been bitching about the kids
>these days.

Yep. And that was never louder than in the 1960's, when the kids were hippies listening to immoral music, doing drugs and having sex! And refusing to serve their country! The wise older generation knew that collapse of the country was imminent.

Those irresponsible kids, of course, grew up to become this generation's "wise older" generation condemning today's kids.

Are you arguing that the soft way most of the youth is brought up not directly related to the over sensitivity? The general weakness that is in the new generation?

The youth aren't soft and the new generation isn't weak.

The music's definitely getting worse though. Kids these days...:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

DanG

I think the current generation is going to end up being just as tough as any of the previous. Since the dawn of recorded history, people have been bitching about the kids these days. Nothing has changed in the last 25 years that's going to significantly change humanity.

I hope so.

However i don't agree with you. In the past the discussions have always been the new generation is more deviant (whatever that meant at that time). The new generation is weak and whiny. Easily breakable because they have been too spoiled and are unaware of it. Off course that's not all most likely not even most but its a trait that has noticeably increased.

Also i am old school man, if your a dude to me you should know how to drive stick, change a tier, kill food ect(you get what i mean).

I hope you are right i really do.

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n34eeXWjUQ

"Doug Stanhope - This Generation Sucks "

I wonder how much effect Pharmaceuticals have had?

I cant think of one person i knew who was on any pills when i was growing up, now you have to think who isn't on something for something.