RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

So you advocate walking in the street, breaking the law, disobeying lawful orders.

There is a reason we don't walk in streets but for designated areas and times, it's called roadkill.

That is the reason we have jaywalking laws to prevent roadkill.

When stopped for breaking the law you must grow up and face the facts that there are consequences for breaking the laws enacted by your elected officials that come in the form of tickets and fines. Not(who knows for sure) cuss and possibly fight the officer for your fuck up. And like the poster said above. Once you decide to act like an animal and try to fight someone who was legally doing their job there are legal consequences for those actions too. Simply grow up and follow the law.

This cop did not look like he was out to fuck up some black kids. He was out to enforce the laws that protect citizens from getting hit by cars, or block traffic(obstruction of commerce is a criminal charge too).

But this video does not tell the whole story, so how do you or I know what this video was all over in the first place?

People supporting the current administration only like to enforce certain laws.

Others, they ignore, and like it that way.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

And painting with just as broad a brush, people who don't support it only support enforcing laws on some people; others get a pass.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

And painting with just as broad a brush, people who don't support it only support enforcing laws on some people; others get a pass.

Wendy P.

Your statement is not as close to true as the one I made.

It was stated openly that the admin simply refused to enforce the laws.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Darius11

COMPLY OR DIE.....

Yup there is some great respect for civil and human rights and our constitution that so many officers seem to be wiping their asses with

Holy shit Right!! all this time i thought this was America and we had rights. Guess we were wrong, in whose book are you the ass hole if you grab the stick you are being hit with?

Every time i see a cop act like a politician making excuses the standard bull shit line i lose more respect.

If your a cop you should be more pissed then anyone in the public, and should voice that. When you form your BLUE BROTHERHOOD you lose your integrity. You lose integrity you lose respect.

I understand EVERYONE understands there are some bad apples but when you protect your bad apples you become the same.
Every Police Department that has been caught, This is going back to the 80s the police lie and try to hide the truth. When they are convicted (when there is video that they can't destroy) they typically get a slap on the wrist.

If this is not fixed it will be bad for everyone.

Hey, we have our issues, but I sure damn well would prefer to encounter a cop here than those in Iran. :|
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

turtlespeed

People supporting the current administration only like to enforce certain laws.

Others, they ignore, and like it that way.

EVERY recent administration has practiced selective enforcement. GWB did it big time by issuing hundreds of "signing statements".

GWB broke all records, using signing statements to challenge about 1,200 sections of bills over his eight years in office, about twice the number challenged by all previous presidents combined, according to data compiled by Christopher Kelley, a political science professor at Miami University in Ohio.

Traffic cops do it all the time. Not every speeder is given a ticket (edited to add: although cvfd1399 always deserves one).

The biased use of enforcement discretion, such as that based on racial prejudice or corruption, is usually considered a legal abuse and a threat to the rule of law.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Driver1

COMPLY OR DIE.....

Yup there is some great respect for civil and human rights and our constitution that so many officers seem to be wiping their asses with

Holy shit Right!! all this time i thought this was America and we had rights. Guess we were wrong, in whose book are you the ass hole if you grab the stick you are being hit with?

Every time i see a cop act like a politician making excuses the standard bull shit line i lose more respect.

If your a cop you should be more pissed then anyone in the public, and should voice that. When you form your BLUE BROTHERHOOD you lose your integrity. You lose integrity you lose respect.

I understand EVERYONE understands there are some bad apples but when you protect your bad apples you become the same.
Every Police Department that has been caught, This is going back to the 80s the police lie and try to hide the truth. When they are convicted (when there is video that they can't destroy) they typically get a slap on the wrist.

If this is not fixed it will be bad for everyone.

Hey, we have our issues, but I sure damn well would prefer to encounter a cop here than those in Iran. :|

Ever actually visited a theocratic state where there are "morals police".... There are some here it seems that would be good with that... and would seek to join up as soon as they can.
I have been to some of those places... ad there is no place for it in America contrary to what the American Taliban believe.

Are there laws designed to improve public safety?
Are those laws passed by members elected by the public?
Are police tasked with catching and bring members of the public who violate those laws to court to face their crimes?
As part of your rights are you allowed to legally disobey official orders from those officers and resist arrest for the crimes you commit?
Are there laws that cover those action you comit against the officer who in his official capacity was doing his job legally?

cvfd1399

Are police tasked with catching and bring members of the public who violate those laws to court to face their crimes?
As part of your rights are you allowed to legally disobey official orders from those officers and resist arrest for the crimes you commit?
Are there laws that cover those action you comit against the officer who in his official capacity was doing his job legally?

So you are on board with beating the fuck out of anyone who does not comply with your orders..... quickly enough on what at most is a very minor infraction.... got it.

Losing more hearts and minds...:(

Amazon

***Are there laws designed to improve public safety?

So you are on board with beating the fuck out of anyone who does not comply with your orders..... quickly enough on what at most is a very minor infraction.... got it.

Losing more hearts and minds...:(

I agree there are some minds that have been lost in this thread. Usually from those that make the stretch you just made.

One can make a series of statements that leads logically to just about any conclusion. Especially if there isn't any discussion as the statements are being made. It's the PowerPoint effect.

The challenge is to present a range of information so that your audience can come to a conclusion that's supported by the evidence, and not just the pieces that the presenter thinks are important.

And the challenge for the leader is to understand that their solo decision might not be the best one.

Boomerdog got it right.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I disagree especially with his statement of this.

yes the kid ends up getting slammed to the ground...for jaywalking.

That is unknown, and if the cop did say hey kids your jaywalking then beat his ass then yep send the cop to a new job at the bowling alley or prison.

I figure it went like this. Cop tells kid to get out of the street before he gets hit, and the kid returns with a "fuck you" or charges the cop who then restrains the kid with a baton until backup came along.

Guess what. We don't know because this video starts half way through the incident.

If it comes out that the kid engaged with fists on the cop from the inital encounter are you gonna change your mind, or are the cops supposed to win hearts and minds by allowing themselves to be cussed, assaulted, and let people go to win them over?

cvfd1399

I'm glad that you've never ever exceeded a speed limit. Because if you ever did that, you certainly should not get away with it. In fact, you should turn yourself in.

That's a really good point- jaywalking is basically the pedestrian equivalent of speeding. Would you expect to have a baton used against you if you tried to talk your way out of a speeding ticket?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What does that have to do whatsoever with this topic, you are trying to imply I am suggesting some minority report type of criminal justice system when in fact this thread and my reply has to do with a crime directly witnessed by an officer of the law, and the events that came after.

jakee

That's a really good point- jaywalking is basically the pedestrian equivalent of speeding. Would you expect to have a baton used against you if you tried to talk your way out of a speeding ticket?

The anti cop crowd here has a very hard time staying factual and on point.

You do not know he was hit with a baton for "talking" his way out of a jaywalking ticket, and that is the third time something like that has been said here. That is lazy inciteful debating right out of a troll manual.

cvfd1399

What does that have to do whatsoever with this topic, you are trying to imply I am suggesting some minority report type of criminal justice system when in fact this thread and my reply has to do with a crime directly witnessed by an officer of the law, and the events that came after.

Are you telling us that you've NEVER deserved or received a traffic ticket?

cvfd1399

***That's a really good point- jaywalking is basically the pedestrian equivalent of speeding. Would you expect to have a baton used against you if you tried to talk your way out of a speeding ticket?

Just to be factual, I used to be a cop, many years ago. However, I never hit anyone with my baton (fancy word for club, doesn't sound so nasty).

cvfd1399

***That's a really good point- jaywalking is basically the pedestrian equivalent of speeding. Would you expect to have a baton used against you if you tried to talk your way out of a speeding ticket?

You do not know he was hit with a baton for "talking" his way out of a jaywalking ticket, and that is the third time something like that has been said here. That is lazy inciteful debating right out of a troll manual.

Does being an apologist for bad behavior on the part of your buddies... ever give you pause at all??:S

cvfd1399

Noted in the original post and noted again later in the thread; this thread is about US police brutality and poor practices in general - not a forensic discussion of this one event.

This event was just the "thug in blue" video of the day. Here's a sampling of more:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/30/us/police-videos-race.html
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"