RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

Anvilbrother

See in your mind your invention of this hood fallacy strawman was only in that single thread, but this has been going on for years in dozens of threads I never participated in. Sow how could I have been the one to invent it? Caught again!!! Kallend just like others have already told you. Just give it up, and move on you tried to pull one over on us and it eventually caught up with you. It's sad to see a grown ass man act like this. I have tried to walk away from this a few times and I am officially done with you and this. You got caught it was no one else's fault but you. It was not just me many others saw it too. I'm out.

Please provide a link to any post where I claimed to live in "the hood".

You have been asked to do this previously and have never managed to find one.

In fact my posts have emphasized that I have NOT been a crime victim, nor do I worry about being a victim.

I posted a link showing that I live in an area that has a majority African American population. It was YOUR prejudices that equated this to "the hood", not anything I wrote.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

piisfish

honest question. How long does it take "from scratch" to become a LEO ?

Since you asked me...

I'm sure it's way different now, in the USA, than it was 48 years ago in the UK, but I don't recall its being anything like the 9 months that normiss just mentioned. Things were simpler back then. No tasers, no personal radios (we had whistles), no riot training, no body armor or tactical vests, no tear gas, no water cannons and, in the UK, no guns... Firearms training was optional, and only involved going to the range and shooting with target rifles. We all took it because it was fun and free, not because it had relevance to the duties.

We didn't even get instruction on how to use our truncheons (aka "batons") as "control devices". In fact we were told that we were only to use them as a last resort in case of imminent danger and that if we ever even took it out of its pocket** in public we would have to write a report.

** the uniform pants had a pocket sewn inside the right leg for the truncheon, since it was considered unnecessarily confrontational for it to be visible to the public. It really was a time of "Officer Friendly".

kallend

***You claim you were once a cop.....sorry but with this and many other ridiculous comments you've made (so you don't believe there is such a thing as "suicide by cop? it all has to be an assassination???)I have to call BS that you were ever a cop-at least never out on the street in the real world!:P

Are you calling me a liar?

The idea that you would follow such an objection with criticisms of other posters' reading comprehension is pretty funny. The statement that you'd have to be lying about having been a cop in order to think that suicide by cop wasn't a thing (regardless of whether the other poster misunderstood your thoughts on suicide by cop) is clearly just a construct for emphasis.

Equally funny is that other posters point fingers about how this kinda nonsense has degraded the quality of discussions around here in any direction but yours for your incessant spinning of just about any topic off in the direction of goading others into getting warnings from the mods.

piisfish

honest question. How long does it take "from scratch" to become a LEO ?

It depends.

Some places want an Associate's Degree in Police Science or similar (2 years).
Others want a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice or similar (4 years).

Other places have no educational requirements.

In any case, potential candidates have to become 'certified.' The process and requirements vary from state to state, but involve knowing the laws, qualifying with weapons, qualifying behind the wheel of a car, that sort of thing.

Again, depending on the department and the candidate's background, the "Police Academy" can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Where I work the hiring process from off the street to getting hired is 6-9 months after passing the initial test, background investigation, psychological testing, physical agility test, and interviews. This is to get hired and go to the academy, the state where I work you have to be hired and sworn before you can go to the academy, and the agency pays for the training.

The academy is 22 weeks long, after passing that, there is at least a 16 week Field Training Officer (FTO) training program. The trainee rides with several senior FTO certified officers on different shifts, the trainee is evaluated daily.

If the officer passes FTO training, the officer is on his/her own. It's not unusual for the training to last longer, based on instructor input.

The entire process usually takes about 18 months from the street to a certified officer working on his/her own.

In some states you can pay for the academy on your own, get certified, then apply to departments. The normal hiring process in these cases is about 6 months from my understanding. The academy length varies by state.

Most agencies minimum requirements are a high school diploma. But unless you have prior military experience, its hard to get hired with just a high school education. There is virtually no chance to advance your career without a degree. I work with guys who have masters degrees, and one that has a law degree.

It's a difficult and very competitive process, unlike what the uninformed or media would lead you to believe.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

kallend

Yea, because it is ALWAYS a great idea to be half hidden with your arm out, while hiding during a standoff where gunshots have already been fired.

If, indeed, it was a second gunman, how much reaction time would you personally take to down him? Or would you just look and try to watch the bullets fly at you?

Hind site is always 20/20

His father should have taught him better, I know I taught my child better than that. I certainly hope you did, since you live in south Chicago.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend
Lucky he's not up for a Darwin award. Really stupid move. I can't fault the cops on that one at all.

Don

turtlespeed

His father should have taught him better, I know I taught my child better than that. I certainly hope you did, since you live in south Chicago.

There is a difference between "south Chicago" and "the south side of Chicago".

People should do their homework before they pontificate on where others live.

GeorgiaDon
Lucky he's not up for a Darwin award. Really stupid move. I can't fault the cops on that one at all.

DonYeah, who in his right mind would think that sticking your hand out with an object through gunfire would be a smart move ?
He is Lucky he only got injured and ridiculed....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

For each and everyone of you cop haters please pledge right here and right now to never ever ever call 911. Not for a bike being stolen or your family member being kidnapped. Your life is your own and yours alone to protect for this time forward because of your disdain for those that have chosen to put their own lives on the line for mere peanuts, you do not deserve their protection. If you cant make that pledge the shut the fuck up because your just a fucking hypocrite. Every single stop these men and woman make can be their last. They don't get a second chance if they make a mistake. Every single story you posted could have been a dead cop if they acted different. The police officer, contrary to popular opinion are not mind readers, for them every person they make contact with is out to kill the, especially young black males or have you all not been paying attention to everyone from black lives matter, to FaraCON to our president? There is a war on police and unless the person complies immediately and proves they are not a threat they must be treated as a threat or that officer doesn't get to go home and hug his kids at the end of the day. So for you cop haters I say FUCK YOU.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

kallend

******It pains me to say it but...

http://tinyurl.com/o26ty56

Here's a thought as well . . .

The kid should have been minding his own business.

Like those who wish to tell women what to do with their own reproductive organs.

You should have been Evil Kenivel . . . With a leap like that, you don't even need a rocket to jump the Snake River.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********It pains me to say it but...

http://tinyurl.com/o26ty56

Here's a thought as well . . .

The kid should have been minding his own business.

Like those who wish to tell women what to do with their own reproductive organs.

You should have been Evil Kenivel . . . With a leap like that, you don't even need a rocket to jump the Snake River.

So it's OK to tell a kid to mind his own business, but it's a leap to say the exact same thing to a misogynistic busybody.

Yeah ok cut it out just who did I personally attack? Pretty damn sure I didn't name anyone "PERSONALLY"

Oh and here is another officer killed TODAY by a BLACK MAN
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/30/officer-involved-shooting-reported-at-south-carolina-mall/?intcmp=hplnws

So my original statement stands...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.