airdvr

Officer charged with murder after shooting man in back

airdvr

So you think the meat packer and construction worker's risks are the same as the police, soldier, firefighter?

Police aren't even top ten for risky jobs in the US, it's not like they're engaged in fucking trench warfare in WWI.

They need to quit with the histrionics about it and stop pretending that if they don't blast every darkie who looks crosseyed at them, they won't make it home at night. If you can't handle the (not all that significant) risk, go work in a library.

I'm surprised you can lift that brush that high. Isn't it heavy?

Bro I lift.
cavete terrae.

But the "victim" has some culpability in this as well, his actions precipitated the entire situation, many are ignoring that fact.

Here's your answer. The event in totality is the sum total of a series of actions that ends in the shooting death of the suspect. The video records a homicide that is at a minimum very questionable and it's extreme damning of the actions and the judgement of officer...OBTW now charged with murder.

Are we to assume therefore that the shooting was inevitable based upon prior events? I'm not buying that one. Such thinking is such a context with fatal implications is determinist as well as down right dangerous.

What I can say is that the cop exercised one of several options available and the cop is in a bad place because of the option he chose to exercise.

What I can say is that the cop exercised one of several options available and the cop is in a bad place because of the option he chose to exercise.

Well no shit, read my previous post.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Uh no...you based the outcome solely upon compliance. Even in a non-compliant scenario which we can agree at least this is, there were other options, i.e. additive independent actions that realistically could result in a different outcome...say for example...a live suspect behind bars (where the deceased more than deserved to be had he been taken alive) rather than on a slab in the morgue.

Once again, be careful of determinism...it can exclude other viable options when the situation needs said viable options.

Further review of the video MAY indicate that the cop's taser got used against him. Viewing the video in HD appears to show the barb and lead coming out of his shirt, and the cartridge tangled around the victim's leg as he runs. However, that could have happened a few ways.

If the taser was used against the cop, it's still in my opinion an unjustified shooting since the guy was running away, but that's a lot less clear cut.

I'm man enough to admit I may have jumped to a few conclusions here!
cavete terrae.

If the taser was used against the cop, it's still in my opinion an unjustified shooting since the guy was running away, but that's a lot less clear cut.

I agree, it's interesting as the facts come out.
The murder charge will probably be reduced, or if the state pushes it, he could potentially beat it at trial.

Anvilbrother

I saw that too, but knew it would be useless to try and tell that to anyone here.

Just so we're clear, if the cop had a tazer used against him but was functional enough to still be able to stand and draw, you think that makes it justifiable to shoot someone running away from you multiple times in the back?

What happened to the ' use lethal force if the person is a serious threat' line...?
I've seen people on jackass videos get tazed for fun. He didn't run off with the tazer so there was no risk to the public that he was going to go on a rampage with it.

IF this really happened, all it changes is that the cops motive goes from 'racist murder' to 'revenge murder'. [:/]

I guess it's possible, but why hasn't it come out before?

I certainly could have missed it, but this is the first I've heard that the cop's Taser was actually taken from him, let alone used on him.

His radio call said something to the effect of "He took my Taser", not "He took my Taser and Tazed me."

He certainly didn't act like he had just been hit with one. It's a rather painful and "rattling" experience. The cops stood there pretty calmly, opened fire, and then walked over to the downed man like nothing had happened (people on here have noted how calm he seemed after the shooting).

Last, a fired Taser is a big mess. The wires are out and tangle around everything. Whatever he dropped wasn't that.

The reports are saying that the witness who took the video heard the sound of a Taser, but that could easily be "non-shooting" use. They have contacts that allow a Taser to be used as a contact stun gun. No barbs or wires.

I can't tell what the thing dangling from his chest is. It might be Taser barbs/wires, it might be something different.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

yoink

***I saw that too, but knew it would be useless to try and tell that to anyone here.

Just so we're clear, if the cop had a tazer used against him but was functional enough to still be able to stand and draw, you think that makes it justifiable to shoot someone running away from you multiple times in the back?

What happened to the ' use lethal force if the person is a serious threat' line...?
I've seen people on jackass videos get tazed for fun. He didn't run off with the tazer so there was no risk to the public that he was going to go on a rampage with it.

IF this really happened, all it changes is that the cops motive goes from 'racist murder' to 'revenge murder'. [:/]

No everything above this sentence is what you said not me.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

******I saw that too, but knew it would be useless to try and tell that to anyone here.

No everything above this sentence is what you said not me.

Your words: 'it would be useless to try and tell that to anyone here' in regards to your belief that you saw tazer wires dangling from the cop.

You don't state WHY it would be useless (basically demeaning everyone who posts here), and the first time someone questions you about it, you get defensive.

I'm asking you that even if that was true, do you think that changes anything or if it makes the actions of the cop more defensible? It's a straightforward question.

Because I think you're just using it as some sort of pointless shot at people you class as 'liberals'.

Note: Edited so I don't get shot in the back.

No the taser wire was a possible new development that would have given us more information as to what happened. I did not mention that I saw it because any post that basically isn't "fuck all cops" is deemed as automatically a "pro cop/murder" stance around here. Your post proved that. I did not even mention the term "justified" but you assumed that's how I felt and even typed it out as if that's how I felt, and titled it "just to be sure". That's why I told him I never mentioned it even though multiple site have been talking about it possibly happening because of posts like yours.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

normiss

STOP RESISTING!!!
:D

Look, I think it's pretty obvious.

The officer, who is an absolute teddy bear according to his mother, tried to peacefully subdue the driver for questioning.

The driver then took the officer's taser, used it on the officer, dropped it, and ran away.

The officer, having been shocked severely by the taser, had the involuntary reflex of drawing his pistol and emptying it. It was simply an unfortunate accident that the driver happened to be in the direction that the officer was firing, since the officer had no control of his actions at that point.

Still disoriented by the taser, the very polite officer then picked up the taser and gave it back to the driver "Here, you dropped this back there."

It was only when the officer came to his senses that he realized that the driver was not simply taking a nap, and was very traumatized by the realization.

It is all a big misunderstanding, and it will be cleared up in court.

BSBD,

Winsor

winsor

***STOP RESISTING!!!
:D

Look, I think it's pretty obvious.

The officer, who is an absolute teddy bear according to his mother, tried to peacefully subdue the driver for questioning.

The driver then took the officer's taser, used it on the officer, dropped it, and ran away.

The officer, having been shocked severely by the taser, had the involuntary reflex of drawing his pistol and emptying it. It was simply an unfortunate accident that the driver happened to be in the direction that the officer was firing, since the officer had no control of his actions at that point.

Still disoriented by the taser, the very polite officer then picked up the taser and gave it back to the driver "Here, you dropped this back there."

It was only when the officer came to his senses that he realized that the driver was not simply taking a nap, and was very traumatized by the realization.

It is all a big misunderstanding, and it will be cleared up on court.

BSBD,

Winsor

LOL. Will be cleared up by a grand jury, to be more precise.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Anvilbrother

Case.....closed, I like your style, and efficiency. Can you reexamine the OJ Simpson case, I'm sure something was missed there.:D

That was the result of Climate Change.

The microclimate in the area around Nicole Brown Simpson's resulted in the very dangerous San Andreas Icicles on her house. Slamming the gate caused these very sharp icicles to break loose, fatally wounding both Ms. Simpson and Mr. Goldman.

By the time the police got involved, the ice had melted and nobody had the presence of mind to consider the obvious cause of these fatalities.

The prosecution's hatred of O.J. came from his prejudice against the Buffalo Bills; the Assistant D.A. swore he would get revenge after O.J. was traded to the 49ers. The accident that befell O.J.s ex and her pal just gave him the opportunity to show how unfair he could be.

Luckily, the jury realized how absurd was the idea that O.J. could have had anything to do with it, and a great injustice was narrowly averted.

The End

As he should have, it was at the least Manslaughter. Heat of the moment kind of thing. No previous intent.
There are some lines you don't cross, he did, sometimes being a cop sucks, it's hard, and it hurts.
I've been in a couple rolling fights like that, they suck, are hard and sometimes hurt.
It never once crossed my mind to fire when the guy was running away, and make no mistake about it, I was pissed off.

This was 100% preventable, and that falls squarely on the "victim". I think the first jury felt that way. Don't have warrants, run, or fight and there is very little chance this happens.
These things don't happen in a vacuum, when things go bad they can go bad REALLY fast. No amount of training can anticipate things like this:
http://www.leoaffairs.com/video/body-cam-footage-released-ois-deputy-hit-rifle-checking-stranded-motorist/

If this gun was loaded, this officer is dead and there is very little he could do about it.