airdvr

Officer charged with murder after shooting man in back

This is no different, this officer just made my job more difficult. I'm curious to see his service record, there are usually red flags from previous incidents. This guy could be a "bad apple" or he could have made an incredibly bad and potentially criminal decision.
The facts will come out, and I'll call a spade a spade if the need be. Either way this guy is done, and from all appearances should be.

There IS one complaint of excessive force on Sigler's file, one that he was, predictably, exonerated of, never mind the witnesses they refused to take statements from, etc.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/sc-officer-who-shot-man-had-prior-excessive-force-complaint/ar-AAaCEqF

His actions in that incident are disturbing as well. >:(
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

skycop

Now imagine someone posted "the passengers bear some culpability for their deaths, since if they had not gotten on the airplane they would now not be dead." You could also claim that was an unemotional fact - but it would also be a very foolish thing to say.

The passengers would have no idea of the maintenance history of the airplane.
Our "victim" had an outstanding warrant for his arrest and ran from the officer. Those are intentional acts that have consequences. We both agree the consequence was far out of line for the offense. But it does not negate the intentional act that started the chain of events.

Your analogies have been really lacking lately Bill..........

You're right. A better analogy would have been that captain of the airliner a couple of weeks ago. He should have known better than to leave the copilot alone in the cockpit. The pilot bears a lot of culpability there because he should have known that if he left to pinch one out that the copilot would crater the plane. And the passengers should have known not to let that pilot out of the cockpit.

To just put the blame on the copilot is silly. The actions of everybody else on that plane set the events in motion. They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Driver1

This is no different, this officer just made my job more difficult. I'm curious to see his service record, there are usually red flags from previous incidents. This guy could be a "bad apple" or he could have made an incredibly bad and potentially criminal decision.
The facts will come out, and I'll call a spade a spade if the need be. Either way this guy is done, and from all appearances should be.

There IS one complaint of excessive force on Sigler's file, one that he was, predictably, exonerated of, never mind the witnesses they refused to take statements from, etc.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/sc-officer-who-shot-man-had-prior-excessive-force-complaint/ar-AAaCEqF

His actions in that incident are disturbing as well. >:(

From the article:

comes amid a plunge in trust between law enforcement and minorities

I hate this type of race baiting. The plunge in trust is is happening with everybody. Not just minorities.

New development.. you know its bad when a lawyer scurries away

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/04/attorney_for_sc_cop_who_killed_walter_scott_dropped_client_after_watching.html

And a Go Fund me set up for him.... then promptly shut down.... forcing them to indiegogo...

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/08/racists-set-up-defense-fund-for-cop-who-murdered-walter-scott-tweetsvideo/

I wonder who from here will donate[:/]

Amazon

Yep. He lied his ass off to his lawyer, made a fool out of him. That's certainly grounds for severing the counselor/client relationship.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Amazon

New development.. you know its bad when a lawyer scurries away

I don't think lawyers 'scurry'. isn't the term "scuttles"? sometimes they 'scatter' when the lights come on too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

aphid

Should murder charges prevail against the policeman

charges? yes (IMO)

I'd hope this goes to trial very briskly

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***Should murder charges prevail against the policeman

charges? yes (IMO)

I'd hope this goes to trial very briskly

Please excuse my colloquial English... the preface was composed to say,

"If the murder charges are prosecuted successfully, I wonder if the Prosecution will press for a sentence of Capital Punishment?"

aphid

"If the murder charges are prosecuted successfully, I wonder if the Prosecution will press for a sentence of Capital Punishment?"

my bad, I thought you meant it that way, but I passed on that read and took the other, because the current status is issuing charges, not punishment (yet).

regardless, I would hope the prosecution will push for whatever is appropriate for the state and the crime and go after what they'd go after for any similar case

i.e., treat this as if anyone else did it, cop, lawyer, dentist, teacher, whatever. Not a fan of different rules for different people.

but publicity and public outcry is a strange thing - so who knows

SkyDekker

What about felony murder charges for the officer who was present when the taser was planted?

That's what a civilian would get charged with. Unless that state doesn't have felony murder?

I can't see anything indicated that the ther officer knew what was up. It looked like the other cop was more interested in the condition of the deceased and distracted by trying tk take care of the guy while the shooter was casually and unemotionally tampering with the scene

SkyDekker

What about felony murder charges for the officer who was present when the taser was planted?

That's what a civilian would get charged with. Unless that state doesn't have felony murder?

No. Short answer, that's not what felony murder is, unless the other officer's actions were unlawful and those unlawful actions contributed to the decedent's death.
Planting the taser was unlawful, and the other officer's not reporting it (if indeed he saw it and failed to report it or reported something contrary to fact) may have also been unlawful, but that happened subsequent to the shooting.

A better analogy would have been that captain of the airliner a couple of weeks ago. He should have known better than to leave the copilot alone in the cockpit. The pilot bears a lot of culpability there because he should have known that if he left to pinch one out that the copilot would crater the plane. And the passengers should have known not to let that pilot out of the cockpit.

To just put the blame on the copilot is silly. The actions of everybody else on that plane set the events in motion. They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into.

I get what you mean, and I agree with you.

I'd just comment, though: isn't this exactly what lawyers do routinely regarding every accident or product liability claim?

Don

GeorgiaDon

A better analogy would have been that captain of the airliner a couple of weeks ago. He should have known better than to leave the copilot alone in the cockpit. The pilot bears a lot of culpability there because he should have known that if he left to pinch one out that the copilot would crater the plane. And the passengers should have known not to let that pilot out of the cockpit.

I get what you mean, and I agree with you.

I'd just comment, though: isn't this exactly what lawyers do routinely regarding every accident or product liability claim?

Don

Yep. [:/]

christelsabine

It looked like the other cop was more interested in the condition of the deceased and distracted by trying tk take care of the guy while the shooter was casually and unemotionally tampering with the scene

That, exactly that, was the most disturbing part of the video.

We are in full agreement. The guy looked like he felt nothing. No fear. Not anger. Not joy or excitement. The reCtion was similar to seeing a bug get smashed on the windshield and just turning on the wipers.

The lack of any emotion at all was blood curdling.

The guy who shot the video is in the media saying that there was a struggle on the ground before his recording started.

Not sure how that changes anything, specially considering it will be hard to explain how this guy was going to be a threat running away without a weapon.

The guy who shot the video is in the media saying that there was a struggle on the ground before his recording started.

I think it would be a safe bet there was a fight when the officer first went to arrest the guy on the warrant. During this fight a taser was either pulled, used or both.

Not sure how that changes anything, specially considering it will be hard to explain how this guy was going to be a threat running away without a weapon.

It doesn't, I don't care if he kicked the officers ass, you don't shoot someone in the back if they don't have a weapon as they are running away. You just don't, and he wasn't trained that way. Once the bad guy creates distance you use that to recover and regroup.

The Michael Brown situation was the exact opposite, a fight in close quarters, a struggle over a gun, a shot fired, then initially Mr. Brown ran and created distance. The difference is he then turned around and came back, that was the game changer. There had already been a deadly force encounter with the gun, the officer doesn't have to let there be another one.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Driver1

Kinda reminds me of the protection money speech in Goodfella's - "Fuck you, pay me."

I don't have a warrant? Fuck you, do what I say.
I've got the wrong guy? Fuck you, do what I say.
You want to know why I'm here? Fuck you, do what I say.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?