airdvr

Officer charged with murder after shooting man in back

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-charged-with-murder/index.html

Seems fairly obvious that the LEO is in the wrong I prefer to wait and see what the courts have to say. We're only seeing a small part of the encounter.

On the other hand the race baiters are in full bloom having tried and convicted the cop already. And of course the references to Michael brown having been executed.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The video seems pretty clear cut to me. Black dude's running away. Cop doesn't want to give chase so he pumps 8 bullets in a row. Black dude falls down. Cop walks over, checks him out. Then jogs back to where he was shooting from, picks up the taser, walks back and while a fellow cop is checking on the dude on the ground, the shooter casually drops taser on the ground near the body.

Of course, the statement released by his lawyer doesn't match up with what the video shows. It's pretty damning. :|

There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

airdvr

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-charged-with-murder/index.html

Seems fairly obvious that the LEO is in the wrong I prefer to wait and see what the courts have to say. We're only seeing a small part of the encounter.

On the other hand the race baiters are in full bloom having tried and convicted the cop already. And of course the references to Michael brown having been executed.

I'm curious what in the leadup not recorded on video could possibly have justified what happened there.

That appeared to be a Judge Dredd moment, and that cop just not only killed an unarmed man who was at that moment no threat to him (even if he was before), but just wasted what will likely end up being several million taxpayer dollars.
cavete terrae.

Driver1

Of course, the statement released by his lawyer doesn't match up with what the video shows. It's pretty damning. :|

Here's the police version BEFORE the video surfaced:

The shooting unfolded after Officer Slager stopped the driver of a Mercedes-Benz with a broken taillight, according to police reports. Mr. Scott ran away, and Officer Slager chased him into a grassy lot that abuts a muffler shop. He fired his Taser, an electronic stun gun, but it did not stop Mr. Scott, according to police reports.

Moments after the struggle, Officer Slager reported on his radio: “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser,” according to police reports.

This, no doubt, would be the accepted whitewash had it not been for the video.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It was almost justified....it's pretty easy for cops to murder black men in this country.

"The officer, Michael T. Slager, 33, said he had feared for his life because the man had taken his stun gun in a scuffle after a traffic stop on Saturday. A video, however, shows the officer firing eight times as the man, Walter L. Scott, 50, fled. Moments after the struggle, Officer Slager reported on his radio: “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser,” according to police reports.
Police reports say that officers performed CPR and delivered first aid to Mr. Scott. The video shows that for several minutes after the shooting, Mr. Scott remained face down with his hands cuffed behind his back. A second officer arrives, puts on blue medical gloves and attends to Mr. Scott, but is not shown performing CPR. As sirens wail in the background, a third officer later arrives, apparently with a medical kit, but is also not seen performing CPR.
According to CNN affiliate WCIV, Slager initially said through his attorney, David Aylor, that he followed the appropriate policies and procedures. Aylor later told CNN that he no longer represents the officer, and it was unclear whether Slager had obtained new representation."

LWOP is what he deserves. Wonder if he'll get bail. >:(

doubt there will be much debate on this one - this specific cop is in serious trouble

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I agree but there is a much more difficult problem here; Kallend and others have painted the LEO community with a broad brush as have most if not all of the black community. I believe the opposite is true. There are far more honest and caring officers than the few who have unjustly murdered blacks.

Now, every interaction between white officers and black civilians will be suspect. I wouldn't be a white cop today no matter how much money was offered.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

kallend

Here's the police version BEFORE the video surfaced:

The shooting unfolded after Officer Slager stopped the driver of a Mercedes-Benz with a broken taillight, according to police reports. Mr. Scott ran away, and Officer Slager chased him into a grassy lot that abuts a muffler shop. He fired his Taser, an electronic stun gun, but it did not stop Mr. Scott, according to police reports.

Moments after the struggle, Officer Slager reported on his radio: “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser,” according to police reports.

This, no doubt, would be the accepted whitewash had it not been for the video.

I think with the recent publicity about unarmed men being shot, this would have undergone greater scrutiny. The "shot in the back" part and the "no subject fingerprints on the taser" would have been difficult to explain (although getting prints off of things like that can be hit or miss).

But I tend to agree that the shooting probably would have been found to be "justified" in the end.

Kind of explains why the cops have been so quick to tell people "Stop videoing me!!!" and arresting people and confiscating phones & cameras.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

NOW?

It's been enough of an issue that a few recent arrests that have made the news featured some poor black families that were beyond terrified of the cop shooting them, which oddly enough, encouraged them to flee.
Interesting how fear does that to a person.

airdvr

I agree but there is a much more difficult problem here; Kallend and others have painted the LEO community with a broad brush as have most if not all of the black community. I believe the opposite is true. There are far more honest and caring officers than the few who have unjustly murdered blacks.

Now, every interaction between white officers and black civilians will be suspect. I wouldn't be a white cop today no matter how much money was offered.

The problem is that this incident shows how easy it is for a cop to commit murder if there isn't video.

You can think this is a one off and almost never happens, or you can wonder if maybe this happens more often and people have a reason to complain and inquire.

airdvr

I agree but there is a much more difficult problem here; Kallend and others .....

I thought everyone who's been here a while knows that I was once (many years ago) a sworn LEO. So don't for one moment think I am generally anti-LEO.

I do see a problem with LEOs who see themselves as para-military enforcers who are above the law, and with a system that covers up their actions.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

airdvr

The majority of cops are probably not violent criminals.

The majority of citizens are probably not violent criminals.

Each side assumes otherwise when it comes to interactions. It's not good, but it's the world we've made for ourselves. The police stopped being part of the community, and the community stopped trusting the police.
cavete terrae.

airdvr

I prefer to wait and see what the courts have to say. We're only seeing a small part of the encounter.

Yeah -- let's not jump to any conclusions now. I'm sure that once the smoke of the cop-hating liberal media's lies clears out the courts will find this valiant and heroic officer was protecting himself and the community from a highly dangerous fleeing back.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Iago

***The video seems pretty clear cut to me. Black dude's running away. Cop doesn't want to give chase so he pumps 8 bullets in a row. Black dude falls down. Cop walks over, checks him out. Then jogs back to where he was shooting from, picks up the taser, walks back and while a fellow cop is checking on the dude on the ground, the shooter casually drops taser on the ground near the body.

I wonder of the other officer will be subpoenaed for testimony. Considering he was there when cop A planted the taser on the scene and said nothing.

Any exposure on that officers side for not reporting the tampering of the scene?

The other officer will surely be subpoenaed for testimony. If he's smart he is going to watch that video many many times before he comes up with a remotely credible and defensible excuse for his fellow man in blue.

And I can just imagine the cops making excuses soon enough: "Walter Scott put himself in danger by fleeing a cop and resisting arrest. He played a big part in his own death and had it comin'"

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

normiss

Of course he did, he's black.
:|

THe mentality that tells officers this kind of summary death penalty is justified in any form of reality is just sick and depraved... you have the car... you know who the driver is.... you can and will pick him up again with a warrant put out for fleeing or what other charge they wish to drum up to insure the perp will end up in their corporate prison generating revenue.

But to go all Judge Dredd on a citizen of this country seems to be a wee bit out of line for what the Founding Fathers wished upon their fellow citizens.

Amazon

you have the car... you know who the driver is.... you can and will pick him up again with a warrant put out for fleeing or what other charge they wish to drum up to insure the perp will end up in their corporate prison generating revenue.

But to go all Judge Dredd on a citizen of this country seems to be a wee bit out of line for what the Founding Fathers wished upon their fellow citizens.

Agreed. The victim's dad speculated that he fled because he owed child support and didn't want to go to jail. But still... the cop had no reason whatsoever to shoot a fleeing person in the back.

LWOP would be the appropriate punishment. He won't last a month or two in prison before fellow inmates take his ass out. :|
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

>The problem is that this incident shows how easy it is for a cop to commit murder if
>there isn't video.

It also shows some of the the good that the Brown case has done. It's going to be a harder for cops to shoot people in the back and get away with it with the increased attention on such incidents.

billvon

>The problem is that this incident shows how easy it is for a cop to commit murder if
>there isn't video.

It also shows some of the the good that the Brown case has done. It's going to be a harder for cops to shoot people in the back and get away with it with the increased attention on such incidents.

Only if there happens to be video.

As regulator always says, if you are resisiting arrest like this guy, you deserve to be shot and killed though.

you know, it actually makes a bit of sense, when looked upon as "innocent until proven guilty" thing i used to think existed in this country...but i used to amuse myself with a "sick and twisted" thread on a certain website also...

still, video can be faked, photos can too. and human memory is the most fallible of all. let's not forget the host of labs faking dna evidence. you may be ok with giving up due process, but i prefer to apply all laws equally, with no prejudice at all. unfortunately, we live in reality, not theory.