jclalor

Missouri to execute old man missing part of his brain

Hey but "four of three judges" said to go ahead.:S

I'll go along with the DP in very limited cases, and that changes depended on how bad the last one was screwed up. And many of the recent ones to make the cut. Some states should be ruled cruel and unusual. And bringing back the firing squad because they can't figure out how to do it right with available drugs is not acceptable.(Utah?) But this guy needs to meet the definition of mentally incompetent.

In reality to me the problems with it don't out weigh any benefits most of the time. No deterrent, only revenge.

Why the hell am I talking about this?[:/]

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I believe in the DP as punishment. The lawyers have complicated the system for the sake of profit. In this country we accept the DP, we just disagree on how and when to apply it. Obamacare has the DP built in.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I believe in the DP as punishment. The lawyers have complicated the system for the sake of profit. In this country we accept the DP, we just disagree on how and when to apply it. Obamacare has the DP built in.

I was wondering how you were going to work in a complete non sequitor Obama bash. Well done:S

- Dan G

RobertMBlevins

I used to be FOR the death penalty. Now I am strongly against it.

I am in the same boat Robert. The more mistakes I see made in the judicial system the less I can get behind the death penalty as an option.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

***I used to be FOR the death penalty. Now I am strongly against it.

I am in the same boat Robert. The more mistakes I see made in the judicial system the less I can get behind the death penalty as an option.

I'll reconsider when this certain murderer, that I know, ceases to breathe.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Andy9o8

Maybe a 60/40 split is "we accept" by your definition, but it isn't by mine.

Politicians on both side seem to be able to see a 51/49 split and feel comfy with statements like:

"The AMERICAN PEOPLE feel that (insert whatever)"

60/40 in politics is claimed as a 'landslide'

meh - just some examples

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

RonD1120

.............................................................................................

punishment rarely prevents crime.
A large part of the problem is that many murders are spur-of-the moment decisions, that the perpetrator rarely thinks through. Murders rarely consider jail time when they pull the trigger. Add the that the problem that many murders are criminally insane or chemically insane.
A third problem is normal behaviour (e.g. defending "turf" with violence) in criminal gangs bleeding out into mainstream society.
Jail time serves three possible functions: first, it allows police to identify bad guys and make they public feel safe until Kim Karadasian resumes control of the headlines. The public have notoriously short attention spans.
Secondly, the public enjoys the revenge of seeing the criminal deprived of his freedom. Seeing a murder punished provides "closure" to the victim's family, allowing them to fill in the grave and move on with life. Sadly, the public do not understand that "three hots and a cot" is a higher standard of living than many criminals endured in the poor neighbourhoods that they grew up in.
A sma percentage of murders will "find Jesus" in prison and renounce their life of sin.
Thirdly, prison is a way to house the criminally insane until they die of old age. Many serial killers are criminally insane and have no hope of rehabilitation. Long-term imprisonment just limits further damage by limiting their access to more victims.
Whether a society imprisons or executes a hardened criminal is largely an economic decision. Can the society/nation afford to pat room and board for a non-productive member of society?

I don't see the death penalty as effective in preventing crime.

I'm just astonished the guy is on death row.
Usually, such people are found on the ballot representing the Tea Party.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I'm just astonished the guy is on death row.
Usually, such people are found on the ballot representing the Tea Party.

You mean representing the alarmists, don't you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Obamacare has the DP built in.

If that's true, it's only because living implies eventually dying. According to your belief system God designed everything, so doesn't that just mean God sentenced us all to the DP?

Don

Well, shooting into an occupied vehicle or house from outside carries a more severe murder charge.

This guy basically executed a cop sitting in his vehicle after he pulled in.

The "part of his brain missing" goes back to a saw mill accident in the early 70's, and he shot the cop in what, 1996?

I'd say he knew exactly what the fuck he was doing.

Fry the motherfucker.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

The "part of his brain missing" goes back to a saw mill accident in the early 70's, and he shot the cop in what, 1996?

I'd say he knew exactly what the fuck he was doing.

Yeah, 'cos the one thing everyone knows about partial lobotomies is that eventually you get better.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

SkyDekker

But guns can. ;)

Sorry, I thought guns were inanimate objects, not capable of doing anything by themseves.

That's true, but one can use them to prevent crime.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

But guns can. ;)

Sorry, I thought guns were inanimate objects, not capable of doing anything by themseves.

And far more frequently, cause it.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

But guns can. ;)

And far more frequently, cause it.

That is true of most criminal acts which is why so many states have enacted CCW permitting. So the law-abiding citizens could prevent crime against themselves.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm really tired of hearing that campaign-type too often parroted rhetoric on this board. The liberals laced this tale back in 1996 and still espouse it to their advantage as an old time zinger. Please catch up to the times and do some homework.

According to a study by criminologist Gary Kleck of Florida State University, there are approximately 2.5 million cases of people using firearms for self-defense in America each year. Also, according to the Department of Justice’s 2007 Uniformed Crime Report, states with right-to-carry laws have a 30 percent lower homicide rate, as well as a 46 percent lower robbery rate.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

Awwww. Poor baby.

Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home and whether risk varies by storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4). They were also at greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide, but risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6). Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

Unfortunately for you as the saying goes, the truth has a well known liberal bias.
Never try to eat more than you can lift