Iago

"Militarization" of unified school districts

They're not in the business of emergency response.
They're not in the business of tactical response.
They're not in the business of disaster response.

Yes they are
http://www.sandi.net/policeservices

Many large and some smaller school districts have their own law enforcement branches.
The main reason being the district controls the branch as far as hiring, training, leadership etc.
Large school districts are like small municipalities in structure and organization.

It is a sad commentary on our modern society that the district has an armored vehicle, but it makes sense from a tactical/planning/cost standpoint. Look up Columbine and several other school shootings, these "kids" develop sophisticated tactical plans complete with IED's, diversions, secondary devices.

Another sad, but effective response tool is the ALICE response to an active shooter. Google it, it's eye opening and scary, but IMHO the most effective school response to the active shooter.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

The vehicle would be used for rescue and I would assume be kept at a centralized location for fast response to a given location within the district.

Current active shooter protocols call for immediate entry to isolate and neutralize the shooter by the first responding LEO's, and that means any LEO's. These normally aren't security guards, they are fully trained and certified officers, many are recently retired or younger guys trying to get their foot in the door.

The waiting for SWAT days are over, tactics have changed dramatically. The average school shooting is over in 9-14 minutes.

My assumption would be the vehicle would be used for rescue in the event of a barricaded suspect or mobile active shooter scenario.

Look at it this way, YOUR kid is trapped inside a school during a critical incident, you would want the police to have every tool available to respond.

As far a crewing and maintenance goes, it is very minimal.
Agencies basically drive them until they break, then turn them in. Most are in excellent condition, they just need to be driven occasionally. Driving one is not that hard and takes minimal training for what it's going to be used for.

Essentially it would be "active shooter, oh shit, go get the MRAP". It would be used in conjunction with other agencies tactical teams in the event of a protracted event.

The thing would just sit 99% of the time, it's just there in case it's needed.

Andy9o8

******...The average school shooting is over in 9-14 minutes.....

when you have enough school shootings to define an "average", something is VERY wrong[:/]

The saddest commentary is that your point is not intuitive to 50% of Americans.

what is really sad is liberals, like you, use this kind of persective, thinking they are making a valid point
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Yes. The police, not the school itself.

This is lunacy

I agree, the entire thing is lunacy by definition.

However it is a reality, the school district has it's own police department, they are most familiar with the lay outs of the buildings, and they (most likely) will be the first to respond. Most proactive districts have changed to an active response to a school shooter, whether it's ALICE; Run Hide, Fight or something else. What the administration and staff does before the police get there often decides how many casualties there will be.

Responding outside agencies would be more than happy to have an MRAP close and available, it is nothing more than a large rolling ballistic shield.

Google Beslan Russia, if you don't think something like that can happen here, you are sadly mistaken.

Thank you,
That is why I posted here and in other threads.
All I do is provide information so people can make an informed decision.
I understand people being uneasy, mission creep is a concern.
But in this case an MRAP actually makes sense, but it does give a sad commentary on our society.

rushmc

*********...The average school shooting is over in 9-14 minutes.....

when you have enough school shootings to define an "average", something is VERY wrong[:/]

what is really sad is liberals, like you, use this kind of persective, thinking they are making a valid point

It IS a valid point. Include rushmc in the 50%

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Iago

File this in the category of 'you can't make this up'

So San Diego Unified School District now has themselves an MRAP under the 1033 program.

I just have to ask, WTF?

It makes a lot of sense. Men approach their violent peak coming out of high school.

In 2010 the FBI counted 395 murdering boys age 13 to 16, 1445 murdering men age 17 to 19, 2315 age 20 to 24, 1478 age 25 to 29, 971 age 30 to 34, 684 age 35 o 39, 529 age 40 to 44....

The ones which become spree killers are so rare they're not worth worrying about, although the one at a time killings that go with criminals and youth gangs are a big problem.

That sort of armoured response only makes sense if the school board is willing to share it with municipal police. Then it becomes a question of which police department (school, municipal, state) has the budget to buy the shared equipment this year.
Just be cautious about loaning the MRAP to the local drug squad because they will quickly wear it out doing no-knock raids!

Andy9o8

******...The average school shooting is over in 9-14 minutes.....

It used to be . . . A LOT . . . better.

See what happens when the liberals take over the school system?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

billvon

>if they would just give all the 9 year olds an uzi.

Guns don't kill people, 9 year olds kill people.

Exactly and when you give them all an izu, nobody will think of going in a school for an average duration mass school shooting.

And then you won't need an MRAP either.

(Plus need for funding will go down, since there likely will be significantly less students to worry about. Hence, salaries for school board administrators and trustees can go up. Really is a win win)

SkyDekker

***>if they would just give all the 9 year olds an uzi.

Exactly and when you give them all an izu, nobody will think of going in a school for an average duration mass school shooting.

...... and dead teachers do not collect pensions.

(Plus need for funding will go down, since there likely will be significantly less students to worry about. Hence, salaries for school board administrators and trustees can go up. Really is a win win)

SkyDekker

***>if they would just give all the 9 year olds an uzi.

Christ.. ANOTHER new Apple product... I should have concentrated more at the iPhone 6 launch broadcast.