stayhigh

What's your thought over an inmate taking over 2 hours to die in a botched execution?

Just give them an overdose of Fentanyl. I have worked many a codes of people that took their Fentanyl pain patch and chewed it in their mouth instead of putting it on their skin and they went into respiratory arrest. One guy was dead as shit, no breathing, no heart beat, we started CPR, gave him narcan, and all the other protocol drugs, and brought him back. Fentanyl will get you high, make you pass out, then stops your respiratory drive. Then you die, no aganal respiration that I have ever seen just dead, when you open their mouth to do cpr or tube them, you find the pain patch.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Does the state sometimes knowingly and wrongfully prosecute persons for a crime they did not commit? Yes.

Does the state sometimes succeed at this? Yes.

Can the act of execution be reversed? No.

Thus, I cannot support the death penalty, because by doing so I am supporting non-defensive homicide by the state. When they fuck up and torture someone for hours in the process of killing them, it only adds weight to my view.
cavete terrae.

skydiver30960

I'm just surprised the states keep making the same mistake.

The old mix used (IIRC) was a huge dose of barbiturate to render them unconscious/unfeeling, a dose of paralytic to stop their breathing, then a massive dose of potassium chloride to stop their heart. (yep, just checked wikipedia for what it's worth, and it lists sodium pentathol, pancuronium, and potassium chloride)

Then, didn't it go that the manufacturers of the barbiturate decide they don't like being associated with executions and stop selling to the states for that use? So then the states have to come up with a new cocktail?

So, my question is, why did they stop using the paralytic and KCl? Sure, the Versed/Dilaudid mix is going to render them WAY unconscious and protect them from pain of any kind, but it won't do the work of the other drugs. The cost for ALL the meds being discussed is minimal, probably a couple bucks each.

I kid you not: if you put me in Socrates' shoes and let me CHOOSE how to be executed, it would be "shoot me up with a massive dose of Versed and Dilaudid" which is exactly what this guy got. He felt NO pain when he died. What everyone was watching was agonal respirations, caused by signals sent from his brain stem, which was probably BARELY ticking over, all his higher brain function was gone. This is exactly what the paralytic is for: yeah, to stop the respirations of the inmate/victim/patient so they die, but also so bystanders don't have to watch them guppy-breathe all that time. Then, the potassium chloride is used to cause immediate cardiac arrest, so the state can declare him dead quicker (IMO).

This seems like something they should have gotten right the first time, not let happen again and again. I'm not worried that it was cruel to the inmate, because as I said he was completely unconscious and well-armored against pain. If it was cruel to anyone, it was cruel to those forced to watch.

Elvisio "pragmatic" Rodriguez

You are spot on. What most people do not realize is that the "old" method used drugs to prevent the bystanders from viewing the natural progression of death. I am a Nurse who has worked with dying patients, hospice patients, as well as perfectly healthy patients, so I am familiar with end of life manifestations.

I am surprised they do not give a paralytic, because that would be cheap and easy to acquire.
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

I am surprised they do not give a paralytic, because that would be cheap and easy to acquire.

I seem to recall, just off the top of my head, that an issue was raised over whether some condemned prisoners might have not been properly rendered unconscious before being given the paralytic. If so, the concern was, the prisoner might have been rendered unable to move, speak or even blink by the paralytic, but still conscious and aware of the feeling of suffocation when given the agent to induce respiratory arrest, prior to the cardiac arrest agent being given. (Legally, this raises "cruel and unusual punishment issues.")

More generally, and in any event, I'm not so sure how easy it would be to acquire for execution purposes, at least legally, unless they secretly go to a cooperating "compounding pharmacy" that mixes it up on special order. My understanding is that re: any type of chemical to be used- whether a paralytic, or a hefty dose of the type of drugs used to euthanize animals, or just a powerful sedative, etc - the issue has been that the mainstream commercial manufacturers of these chemical agents have all recently been placing bans on their products being used for human executions.

normiss

Doubt, prosecutor and police misconduct, even downright criminal in a lot of cases.
But it's ok. They're usually poor minorities that are completely unable to properly defend themselves.
[:/]

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/dallas-man-exonerated-for-rape-after-being-cleared-by-dna-tests

Not a death penalty case but another one that ought to give people who support the death penalty a great deal of pause.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Amazon

I really get the feeling that conservatives have finally found something to "conserve", barbaric executions that they can watch just like 600 years ago. A good old fashioned English Hanged, Drawn and Quarter should do the trick for them to get off on.

Similar to how liberals support women who get off and then have their babies painfully mutilated all in the name of (sexual) FREEDOM!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Coreece

***I really get the feeling that conservatives have finally found something to "conserve", barbaric executions that they can watch just like 600 years ago. A good old fashioned English Hanged, Drawn and Quarter should do the trick for them to get off on.

Similar to how liberals support women who get off and then have their babies painfully mutilated all in the name of (sexual) FREEDOM!

GAWD.. I wish you understood human reproductive biology.:S:S:S

>Similar to how liberals support women who get off and then have their babies painfully
>mutilated all in the name of (sexual) FREEDOM!

Kid in the crib next to us was pretty painfully mutilated - pretty sure their parents were Christian, at least based on all the crosses.

GAWD.. I wish you understood human reproductive biology.

Then perhaps you could explain how a person can get so inflamed about a baby rapping murderer feeling some pain during a botched execution, but then show no concern for the pain fetuses endure in late term abortions?

The legislation in the other thread would prohibit clinics from providing information educating woman on the pain their baby would feel during an abortion. If the pain really does exist, why hide that fact?

If a person has concerns about the pain murderers feel during their execution, you'd think that they would at least extend that same compassion to innocent life during it's termination.

I think there have been only two respected pro-choice liberal women on this forum who've expressed their disdain for late term abortion...everyone else just seems to ignore it.

billvon

>Similar to how liberals support women who get off and then have their babies painfully
>mutilated all in the name of (sexual) FREEDOM!

Kid in the crib next to us was pretty painfully mutilated - pretty sure their parents were Christian, at least based on all the crosses.

So then the justification for the pain a fetus endures is that they won't remember it when they're older...

Would you rather have been aborted than circumcised?

I guess in your absolutist idea that all abortions are late term abortions.. Do you know how rare that is... really.

Conservatives it seems like to use that rather extreme.. ( extremists are gonna be extreme)example but seek to prevent even a morning after pill.
Gotta punish all those sluts don't ya know.. wages of sin ya know..
Late term abortions are a travesty...

Controlling all womens lives and forcing them to have YOUR babies is even more of a travesty.

billvon

>Hummm wonder how it's done in China?

Same way it's done here. Drugs are probably cheaper there though.

>Personally until we will spend the money to fast track DP cases, I don't believe it
>is much of a deterant. A young kid doesn't worry about what happens 10-20
>years later.

An even better argument for life in prison. Currently the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison; spending even more money on it will make life in prison a _much_ cheaper alternative.

Perhaps We can learn something from China?
Since they execute some, what 5,000 a year?
Compared to our inefficiencies,that will go a long way
To the "Cruel and Unusual" perspective.

Jeanne Brown, the sister of murder victim Debra Dietz, says any suffering during Joseph Wood's execution pales in comparison to what she and her family have experienced.

The legislation in the other thread would prohibit clinics from providing information educating woman on the pain their baby would feel during an abortion. If the pain really does exist, why hide that fact?

Would it prohibit them from providing information, or just not require them to do it?

- Dan G

stayhigh

It happened again, once again due to using inferior drug combination.

Is this violation of 8th amendment?
or death penalty itself is violation of 8th amendment?

My thought is that if one can go peacefully, than where is the punishment?

the below is from documentary "How To Kill a Human Being"
doesn't contain any sick shit so it is work safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w

Personal opinion is similar to this:

[url]https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AhhJZzqMmAr9rMFgYod_dSybvZx4?p=bug+off+saturday+nigh+tlive&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-302&fp=1[/URL]

I think we can do better!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I can't imagine me doing anything bad emough to warrent the death penalty BUT if I had to choose, I would want a bullit to the back of the head. That "walnut" that snipers talk about. I'd be dead before the bullit came out my face. I think that's how they do it in China. (They even charge the family for the bullit) Probably the quickest and most painless method for the condemed.

For the witnesses, however, it might be a little unverving. If they are to die in a calm, peaceful state and not upset the witnesses, old age might be the only way.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Has anyone been able to establish that the condemned was conscious during the execution? I mean, if the guy is out cold then what's the torture? I've seen people cut wide open, have bodily parts taken out or drilled and screwed, but not felt a thing until they were in the PACU.

I tend to link "torture" with a person's subjective thoughts on what is happening. Meanwhile, the cruelty seems to be the effect on the people observing it. Watching a person struggle for breath is a difficult thing. We can sense how we'd feel struggling for breath. Most of us can't handle watching operations because we know that's gotta hurt.

Is it "cruel" if the person is unconscious?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

Has anyone been able to establish that the condemned was conscious during the execution? I mean, if the guy is out cold then what's the torture? I've seen people cut wide open, have bodily parts taken out or drilled and screwed, but not felt a thing until they were in the PACU.

I tend to link "torture" with a person's subjective thoughts on what is happening. Meanwhile, the cruelty seems to be the effect on the people observing it. Watching a person struggle for breath is a difficult thing. We can sense how we'd feel struggling for breath. Most of us can't handle watching operations because we know that's gotta hurt.

Is it "cruel" if the person is unconscious?

agreed
I was really just curious about the drugs (that work the best)being with held
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln