kallend

What would a Republican president do about Ukraine?

Just curious, since the response from GOP pols has been all over the place, from Ron Paul (basically "who cares") and Rand Paul (withdraw economic aid to UKRAINE???) to William Kristol ("deploying ground troops … should not be ruled out.").

The only common factor seems to be to criticize Obama (surprise!).

So what do folks think a GOP administration would/should do?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[Reply]So what do folks think a GOP administration would/should do?

Probably exactly what Obama is doing. Only the Democrats would be talking about how purely evil it is to have yet another Republican intervening in another country's affairs.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

kallend

Just curious, since the response from GOP pols has been all over the place, from Ron Paul (basically "who cares") and Rand Paul (withdraw economic aid to UKRAINE???) to William Kristol ("deploying ground troops … should not be ruled out.").

The Republicans would -

Start a war by performing air to ground attacks, sending in ground troops, and at the same time implement massive tax cuts for the extremely wealthy. When the completely predictable economic collapse occurs, time it to happen just as a Democratic administration is elected. Then blame ALL of the economic issues on the Democratic administration, while doing everything possible to PREVENT any useful policies from being implemented to repair the economy. The extremely wealthy will once again benefit from the economic meltdown, while the average citizen gets the shaft. They would use their allies corporate ownership of the media to convince the average citizen that everything is the fault of the Democratic administration. Any war crimes like torture will be ignored, and the people who approved and conducted the torture would NOT be held to account for their crimes. They would refuse to staff and fund the Veterans Administration with the resources necessary to take care of the people they sent to war, and erect barriers to approval and distribution of benefits due the veterans.

This worked great the first time. Could we expect them to NOT give it another go? I think not.

No, they'd joke about beginning bombing in 5 minutes (Reagan), suggesting that to get rid of HIV we shoot the queers (Louie Welch of Houston), that if a woman is going to get raped she should just lean back and enjoy it (Texas gubernatorial candidate Clayton Williams), or that a woman who's raped won't get pregnant because her body knows better (Todd Akin).

Every person who speaks in front of a microphone has the potential to say something really, really, stupid. All the current Republican candidates for office in Texas are falling all over themselves to talk about how incredibly conservative they are. Yet most of them have, in fact, worked with liberals or Democrats when the need arose, sometimes even for political purposes (yes, trading favors).

I don't think Texas is unique, it's just where I live.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

funjumper101

The Republicans would -

Start a war by performing air to ground attacks, sending in ground troops - like Obama did in Libya and supported in Syria and is threatening in Crime?

and at the same time implement massive tax cuts for the extremely wealthy - Obama decided to heavily tax the poor with the ACA.

When the completely predictable economic collapse occurs, time it to happen just as a Democratic administration is elected - and then the Democrats can prove incompetence at fixing it

Then blame ALL of the economic issues on the Democratic administration, - which is exactly what the Dems did to the GOP

while doing everything possible to PREVENT any useful policies from being implemented to repair the economy - this is where the Dems differ - the Dems successfully implement useless policies and counterproductive policies and then talk about how great part-time employment is!

The extremely wealthy will once again benefit from the economic meltdown, while the average citizen gets the shaft - as is totally evidenced by the years 2009-present, where the rich have gotten much much richer and host Democratic fundraisers while the poor keep taking in members of the former middle class.

They would use their allies corporate ownership of the media to convince the average citizen that everything is the fault of the Democratic administration - like NBC, CBS and ABC did to the GOP.

Any war crimes like torture will be ignored, and the people who approved and conducted the torture would NOT be held to account for their crimes - right. Because Putin wouldn't step in to prevent them. Other war crimes and Constitutional violations like assassination would no longer be applauded under a GOP admin.

They would refuse to staff and fund the Veterans Administration with the resources necessary to take care of the people they sent to war, and erect barriers to approval and distribution of benefits due the veterans - right. Because "Obamacare" needs $750 billion.

This worked great the first time. Could we expect them to NOT give it another go? I think not. - right. Because both sides operate the same way. Too bad too much of the public thinks murder and war and corporate favoritism is all nice and good when the person responsible has a (D) next to his or her name...

Comments added.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

kallend

Package all the liberals on to military transports and ship them over to diffuse the situation.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

With the exception of your remarks concerning what Reagan said (which by the way was a joke, even if not everyone viewed it as funny) is a complete waste of bandwidth. Seriously who gives a rat's ass about what is said in the Texas Gubernatorial campaigning in the context of Ukraine. We are talking about Russia dishonoring the 1994 Budapest Memorandum. We're not talking about your Elephant versus Donkey domestic politics. Plus if you think that what Obama said to Medvedev has nothing to do with the current events, might I interest you in a nice beach front time share property to be only used in the late Spring early Summer months in Bangladesh?

It's hard to say what an Elephant president would do now that is any different than what the current Ass is doing, which is nothing. But would we even be in this mess if the current Ass had not told the Russians, once I am re-elected we will all have more flexibility to do what we wish. The Elephants have plenty of skeletons in their closets, the Elephants can not say they have never messed things up. But actions of the current Ass are a direct result of why the people of the Ukraine are poised to lose their freedom. Putin could care less about the 1994 Budapest Memorandum, and clearly neither does Obama.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Go back to Poland and put the missile shield back in. Do the same for Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania. Increase naval presence in the Mediterranean. Open up domestic drilling and get off as much foriegn oil as possible WHILE at the same time, allowing the private sector incentives to develop alternate energy technologies. Kick Russia off the G-8 and most favored nation status and freeze credit for Russian companies currently doing business in the United States and see if NATO partners will do the same. Maintain current nuclear weapons levels and do not enter into further strategic arms reductions negotiations. Any shots fired or war started in this proposal?

Boomerdog

Go back to Poland and put the missile shield back in. Do the same for Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania. Increase naval presence in the Mediterranean. Open up domestic drilling and get off as much foriegn oil as possible WHILE at the same time, allowing the private sector incentives to develop alternate energy technologies. Kick Russia off the G-8 and most favored nation status and freeze credit for Russian companies currently doing business in the United States and see if NATO partners will do the same. Maintain current nuclear weapons levels and do not enter into further strategic arms reductions negotiations. Any shots fired or war started in this proposal?

The last Republican president didn't do anything close to that when Russia invaded a country - perhaps you can remind us what that president did in response to the invasion of Georgia

The only real answer here is to look at what the Republican Presidents of the past have done which is essentially the same thing that is being done now. And it's about all that can be done unless an actual war breaks out.

Let's think this through on a smaller scale.

Let's assume you've stopped by a local pub for a drink. At a table across the room you see a couple (man and woman) who are having a drink together. It doesn't look like they're in love, but it also doesn't look like they're about to have a knock down drag out fight with one another.

Then, another guy sits down at the table and starts talking to the woman. The first guy puts up a bit of a squawk that he's on a date, but the other guy is clearly making his move with the woman anyway. All three chat for a bit and after a little while goes by the gal gets up with the other guy and they leave.

Question: What is it to you? Is it any of your business? Exactly how involved are you willing to get to stop the other guy from picking up the women in the bar because someday it might be your woman? Oh, I guess I should mention both of you are armed with large caliber weapons strapped to your hips.

So what, exactly, can you do? Do you mutter under your breath, "not cool, man" or do you take it a step further and punch the guy in the nose knowing full well he might decide to "stand his ground" and shoot you? Or do you just shoot him first?

I'm thinking pretty much the only thing you can do is mutter under your breath.

Which is precisely what Reagan and Bush did as well. Well, actually, Reagan did try to do something in Afghanistan, but since that created the Taliban and Osama bin Laden . . . I'm not exactly counting that as a victory in our favor.

What I find hilarious are the people who frequently say the US shouldn't be the "world's policemen" seem to want us to get involved here when to me it doesn't look like it's any of our business.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

kallend

Probably Shock and Awe North Korea for having WMD.

It is in the realm of possibility to surmise that if Mitt Romney had been elected we would not be facing this dilemma. BHO revealed himself to be a wuss a long time ago. Thus V. Putin calculated his strategy for a time such as this. It is KGB mentality versus ACORN mentality.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

It is in the realm of possibility to surmise that if Mitt Romney had been elected we would not be facing this dilemma. BHO revealed himself to be a wuss a long time ago. Thus V. Putin calculated his strategy for a time such as this.

This is nonsense. The amount of consideration Putin has given to the person sitting in the Oval on this is nil. He pretty much knows that whoever sits in the chair on a particular day isn't going to go to war over this. How do I know? Because of history.

It is KGB mentality versus ACORN mentality.

You are aware neither exists anymore; right?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

RonD1120

It is in the realm of possibility to surmise that if Mitt Romney had been elected we would not be facing this dilemma. BHO revealed himself to be a wuss a long time ago. Thus V. Putin calculated his strategy for a time such as this. It is KGB mentality versus ACORN mentality.

Right... Mitt is just so butch... I mean he did protest for a war.. before he ran away from that war.:S

Why do conservatives love guys who act so butch??

RonD1120

I just thank my lucky stars that McCain/Palin are not in the White House.

jclalor

***Go back to Poland and put the missile shield back in. Do the same for Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania. Increase naval presence in the Mediterranean. Open up domestic drilling and get off as much foriegn oil as possible WHILE at the same time, allowing the private sector incentives to develop alternate energy technologies. Kick Russia off the G-8 and most favored nation status and freeze credit for Russian companies currently doing business in the United States and see if NATO partners will do the same. Maintain current nuclear weapons levels and do not enter into further strategic arms reductions negotiations. Any shots fired or war started in this proposal?

This is not what a GOP president would do. It's probably what should be done, but no president, Dem, GOP or otherwise, would do those things. These kinds of decisions are weighed and made solely on their domestic political ramifications. Treaties and promises be damned.

The last Republican president didn't do anything close to that when Russia invaded a country - perhaps you can remind us what that president did in response to the invasion of Georgia

We did not promise Georgia that we would help ensure their security in exchange for them turning a formidable deterrent (i.e., nukes inherited post USSR) over to the very country that now threatens the security of a country that did just that. We tricked the Ukraine into de-nuking, and now we're letting them twist in the wind. We have not followed through with any promise of any meaningful support since WW2. Just ask the Koreans, the Cuban counter-revs., the Vietnamese, the Iranians, the Iraqis, the Afghanis, the Libyans, the Egyptians, the Kurds, the Contras, etc., etc., etc. Anyone else (Israel, the Baltics, NATO, et al.) who is counting on the US when things get dicey better watch their backs. Disgusting, really. It pains me to realize that the last President who followed through with such a commitment was FDR's Lend-Lease in 1940 and subsequent support.

Well, we did run the commies out of Grenada ...almost forgot about that one.

Let's assume you've stopped by a local pub for a drink. At a table across the room you see a couple (man and woman) who are having a drink together. It doesn't look like they're in love, but it also doesn't look like they're about to have a knock down drag out fight with one another.

Extremely flawed analogy there. Here is a more accurate assessment.

The man and the woman are not strangers to you. You know them very well. You know that the man has a long history of abuse towards this woman. You also know that the woman was once armed but never used her weapons against her aggressor because she knew it would also result in her own destruction. Not that many years ago you helped broker a divorce with this couple. You got the man to agree to stop abusing this woman if she agreed to give up her weapons. Fast forward a few years, you talk with the man before heading off to the pub and you secretly agreed with him that once you win your re-election you will have much more flexibility and you promised to not interfere when the man decides to resume his abusive ways. Now you are at the pub, you give each other the wink to make sure you are both on the same page. The man resumes to abuse the woman, the other patrons at the pub are shocked and you think you are about to make yourself look good by shouting across the room "Hey Vladimir you better stop. If you don't stop I'm going to have to rescind that all expenses paid golf vacation invite I made to you". Vladimir laughs, gives you another wink and proceeds with the plan you two hatched out long ago.

If it wasn't for the people of Ukraine poised to lose the freedom, it is amusing how the ubber partisan Donkeys here at the Dork Zone always rush to defend their Ass. Obama is not doing shit because Obama agreed to this aggression a long time ago. Remember, "This is my last election. After my election I will have more flexibility" followed by "I understand I transmit this information to Vladimir". But now I fully expect to be viciously attacked by the partisan Donkeys because here at the Dork Zone nobody is ever allowed to say anything bad towards the Messiah.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Amazon

***It is in the realm of possibility to surmise that if Mitt Romney had been elected we would not be facing this dilemma. BHO revealed himself to be a wuss a long time ago. Thus V. Putin calculated his strategy for a time such as this. It is KGB mentality versus ACORN mentality.

Right... Mitt is just so butch... I mean he did protest for a war.. before he ran away from that war.:S

If most of the politicians that love to send 'our' boys and girls into harms way had to stand side by side with them in that action.. you can bet there would be a LOT less of those sorts of actions!!

So, here's a new 'Rule' anyone who wants someone to kick someone else's arse needs to man up and pull on the boots.. or STFU

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

******It is in the realm of possibility to surmise that if Mitt Romney had been elected we would not be facing this dilemma. BHO revealed himself to be a wuss a long time ago. Thus V. Putin calculated his strategy for a time such as this. It is KGB mentality versus ACORN mentality.

If most of the politicians that love to send 'our' boys and girls into harms way had to stand side by side with them in that action.. you can bet there would be a LOT less of those sorts of actions!!

So, here's a new 'Rule' anyone who wants someone to kick someone else's arse needs to man up and pull on the boots.. or STFU