wayneflorida

Dad's texting to daughter sparks argument, fatal shooting in movie theater

Haven't been to a theater in years. Texting probably happens all the time I imagine. People are just plain rude, self centered, and hot headed these days.

Monday afternoon, I wouldn't have said anything to the texter, just got up and found different seats.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/

Wow.

I have no problem ignoring people if they talk or text during previews. If it was really something I wanted to see, I might move or ask them to take it to the lobby.

This level of over-reaction indicates something else going on. Kind of like road rage. Very sad.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

apparently the ex-cop (shooter) left the theater to complain to management, and upon his return the texter confronted the old guy about it. words were exchanged (loudly), there was some pushing and shoving, and popcorn went in the air. Then the old guy shot the texter.

(this from an eyewitness account I saw on TV this morning)
--
Rob

I don't think, even at it's most villainous, popcorn can be considered a deadly weapon.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Are you saying the shooter used deadly force, the texter threw deadly popcorn (butter), or the shooter threw the popcorn so he could later claim the texter did it and the shooter only acted in self-defense?

Are we heading for a call to ban popcorn?

I would enjoy poking fun at this more if someone had not died. I wish guys could still punch each other out and have a drink afterwards.

Newspaper reports (and they are reports not facts) indicates the shooter is a retired police officer with several years of SWAT experience. The question for the justice system is whether the magnitude of the conforntation was to the degree that the shooter's life was threatened. Florida as we know, is a stand your ground (Castle Doctrine) state. If the shooter cannot prove the threat to him was potnetially lethal, his use of deadly force may be determined criminal.

skinnay

Some reports have said the texting occurred during the previews. IMO this makes a pretty big difference. Who cares if someone texts during the previews? If its during the actual movie they deserve to be shot.

I would see that as simple overstatement to emphasize a point if it weren't for the underlying story.

skinnay

Some reports have said the texting occurred during the previews. IMO this makes a pretty big difference. Who cares if someone texts during the previews? If its during the actual movie they deserve to be shot.

texting doesn't even make any noise. you can even silence the notification of incoming texts.

agree that previews are not an issue at all "No problem, I'll be sure to shut it off for the movie" if it was at the previews and the shooter is a grumpy asshole, I could see it play out (I could also see it play out if the texter was an asshole.....or both)

no one deserves to shot for something like this - movie or not

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, I guess it also depends on that device he was using. if he was pulling out an iPad mini or a Galaxy Note 3 with the screen locked on full brightness, then maybe the shooting was also warranted. If he was using an old Nokia 5310 with a tiny lcd screen, then he should have probably let it slide. Without the full details we really can't say whether he should have been shot or not.

RonD1120

My sister emailed me to tell me that a shooting happened at OUR movie theater (we go there for the in-theater dining). Not only is there conversation/texting/etc during previews in the balcony, but they're serving FOOD! (All the dishes except standard movie snacks are picked up before the feature starts.)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

skinnay

Well, I guess it also depends on that device he was using. if he was pulling out an iPad mini or a Galaxy Note 3 with the screen locked on full brightness, then maybe the shooting was also warranted. If he was using an old Nokia 5310 with a tiny lcd screen, then he should have probably let it slide. Without the full details we really can't say whether he should have been shot or not.

If his fingers had been cut off, he would never text again, but he would be alive.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

So when it's a school we get outraged, but when just one guy it's ok to make jokes about it, huh?

Classy, guys. Real classy. :(

The guys was SHOT for being annoying. By an ex cop, no less.

If people insist on owning and carrying guns then it should require full on psychological evaluations every couple of months, because shit like this is insane.

yoink

If people insist on owning and carrying guns then it should require full on psychological evaluations every couple of months, because shit like this is insane.

What if he had stabbed the guy with a pocketknife? Would you be calling for full on psych evals every couple of months for pocketknife carriers?

I think justice could have been done by waiting until the movie started before taking any action. And then, the action would be to snatch the phone out of his hand and throw it up against the wall. Problem solved, everyone lives.

yoink

For voting, too. And exercise of religious freedom. And free speech...of course, that would be the end of some of the posters in SC.

billvon

>I don't think, even at it's most villainous, popcorn can be considered a deadly weapon.

True. It's not like it was Skittles.

uh, it hardly should be necessary to point out that TM did not throw skittles at GZ.

I read that this theater was basically empty. After having complained, or even before, it would have been simple to relocate away from the [presumably] obnoxious phone user. It is unfortunate that so many people cannot behave well in public in the theater or on muni, but having to play manner's police detracts from the actual enjoyment of the movie.