ianmdrennan

nice piece on 'Christian' behavior

Thanks for sharing.

The phrase that always makes me tighten up is "I love you brother." It is usually said in church and by well meaning caring people.

Back in the day that statement was usually followed by "Will you do me a favor. Loan me $_______." Of course the money was never repaid. In other words, it is the lead up to the con. It is a put off.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

normiss

You could add "bless you" to that last.
;)

I generally use that phrase only for my brothers and sisters in the Lord. For the others, "good luck."

Luck is a respecter of persons, God isn't.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

It's not just Ron, but if we are talking about Ron, there is more wrong with him than his 'spiritual beliefs'. I can fill you in some day. He's a snake like the rest of the 'Christians' that stand on a pulpit and tell the world how great they are.....

I even kept the emails.

Regardless of what I believe, I try to take the best view of whatever is said to me. It lets me assume the best of people, without requiring any commitment whatsoever.

If someone says "insh Allah" to me when talking about the rain, fine. If they say "blessed be," fine. If their greeting is "namaste," fine. If they're feeling holier than I am, I really, really, don't care.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I do behave this way in public as well as with friends and family.
Always polite.
I fully understand where the comments are coming from and their intention.

We discuss things here and question them, I don't think I single Ron out.
Ron and I, I believe, do discuss religion straight up.
He has always been clear and honest with me and me in return.
I mean him no insult or harm, I'm just willing to question religious beliefs of anyone.

I just sometimes see "bless you" meant or sounding like it's intended to be condescending.

I think if Ron said that to me, I'd know where the meaning was. I wouldn't insult him.

The biggest problem that most miss with #1 isn't whether or not it is a theologically accurate statement, but rather its a phrase that tells the other person, "I don't want to hear about your pain / loss / suffering. Please be quiet, because if you aren't, you're going to make me uncomfortable (and I might start questioning things)".
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Say what you want to me. You have to use a long, sharp bayonet to hurt my feelings.

What's the quote? Nobody can insult you without your permission? Nobody has my permission.

Now, if you're just asking me to punch your lights out, I will not deny you the pleasure. But that doesn't mean I'm insulted. It just means there are natural, logical consequences to your actions. And I love you enough to not deprive you of them.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

airdvr

***You could add "bless you" to that last.
;)

Huh? What are you supposed to say when someone sneezes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responses_to_sneezing

Across the languages is a smattering of statements in regards to the person's health and/or gods. Curious creatures, people.

I generally say "Salud" because it's shorter than saying "Gesundheit" and I'm not going to say "bless you" or "God bless you" because those are kinda stupid things for an atheist to say.

tkhayes

It's not just Ron, but if we are talking about Ron, there is more wrong with him than his 'spiritual beliefs'. I can fill you in some day. He's a snake like the rest of the 'Christians' that stand on a pulpit and tell the world how great they are.....

I even kept the emails.

Don't be shy, open that can of worms again. I opposed you and your actions.

tkhayes

I even kept the emails.

Sounds like a PA to me, or does that only apply to those seeking spiritual Truth. If someone can make such a dogmatic judgment of right and wrong, how are you any different than what you claim to despise?

airdvr

***You could add "bless you" to that last.
;)

Huh? What are you supposed to say when someone sneezes?

gesundheit . . .

But when anyone that I know, who is an adamant nay-sayer of faith, I either say "God bless your soul in Jesus Christ's name, Amen.", "B'ezrat HaShem", or "Barakullah fi".:P

If I am feeling particularly snarky, I will say "Bhagwaan apko khush rakhe" and Usually no one understands that one.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

maadmax

***It's not just Ron, but if we are talking about Ron, there is more wrong with him than his 'spiritual beliefs'. I can fill you in some day. He's a snake like the rest of the 'Christians' that stand on a pulpit and tell the world how great they are.....

I even kept the emails.

Sounds like a PA to me, or does that only apply to those seeking spiritual Truth. If someone can make such a dogmatic judgment of right and wrong, how are you any different than what you claim to despise?

What is the saying? Something about you can't hate or love something about someone else unless you hate or love that same thing about yourself.

Kinda telling[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

******It's not just Ron, but if we are talking about Ron, there is more wrong with him than his 'spiritual beliefs'. I can fill you in some day. He's a snake like the rest of the 'Christians' that stand on a pulpit and tell the world how great they are.....

I even kept the emails.

What is the saying? Something about you can't hate or love something about someone else unless you hate or love that same thing about yourself.

Absolutely, you can only recognize or understand the aspects of your own personality and psychological makeup in others. That principle is used in counseling.

RonD1120

*********It's not just Ron, but if we are talking about Ron, there is more wrong with him than his 'spiritual beliefs'. I can fill you in some day. He's a snake like the rest of the 'Christians' that stand on a pulpit and tell the world how great they are.....

I even kept the emails.

Absolutely, you can only recognize or understand the aspects of your own personality and psychological makeup in others. That principle is used in counseling.

"A man sees in others what he knows of himself." Socrates

Ah, so when you keep saying that anyone who disagrees with you is 'adolescent'...

Makes perfect sense now.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Ah, so when you keep saying that anyone who disagrees with you is 'adolescent'...

Makes perfect sense now.

Yes, it does in your case.

jakee

***Yes, it does in your case.

Only in my case?

If that means you agree that for everyone else he insults Ron is simply raging against his own childishness then I'll take it.

We all have/had aspects of our personalities that are adolescent. It is the rebelliousness of our nature. The quest of adulthood is or, should be, to grow and mature and leave those character traits behind. Some of us have made more progress than others.