markbdaniels

Pack of motorcyclists chase man in SUV, attack him on upper Manhattan street after fender bender

JohnnyMarko

"I don't condone the violence, there's no need for it," Mieses' sister Margie Mejia told WBZ, but "I'm glad they chased him down and they stopped him."

She absolutely DOES 'condone the violence' then. They could have just as easily followed at a distance and called the cops. Or even just taken the license number and call the cops.

hypocrit

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

"I don't condone the violence, there's no need for it," Mieses' sister Margie Mejia told WBZ, but "I'm glad they chased him down and they stopped him."

She absolutely DOES 'condone the violence' then. They could have just as easily followed at a distance and called the cops. Or even just taken the license number and call the cops.

hypocrit

Hmmm - Is this a stand your ground incident then?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Gravitymaster

I'm interested in knowing what happened before the camera got turned on. Did the SUV driver cut the biker off? It happens all the time. I don't know too many bikers who go out looking for a fight. Most of the road rage I've observed or heard about has been when someone in a cage cuts a biker off. It also looks like the SUV driver either sped up or at the very least didn't apply his brakes when the motorcyclist slowed down in front of him. I think there's more to this story than has come out so far.

Exactly what I was thinking.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

***I think there's more to this story than has come out so far.

Exactly what I was thinking.

There's more to every story... I watched the videos in post #50 of the thread and it's clear that this was a "get everyone on motorcycles that we can into a swarm, take over the roads, screw traffic laws and other people." kind of event. There's people riding across all lanes of traffic, riding wheelies through red lights, weaving between moving city traffic both with and against the flow of traffic on both sides of the road.

So, having observed that, and noting this guy had his wife and baby in the car with him...

What did the motorcyclists get out of bed with the intention of doing that day? What did the SUV driver get out of bed with the intention of doing that day? What intention did the guy who pulled in front of him, looked over his shoulder and hit the brakes have? What intention did the SUV driver have when he first came to a stop? What intention did the crowd of motorcyclists have when they surrounded the SUV and started getting off their bikes and approaching it? What intention did the SUV driver have when he floored it out of there? What intention did the motorcyclists have when they then pursued the SUV?

There are pieces of the story missing at this point, and the people involved are all gonna come up with fascinating versions of what happened I'm sure, but I'm not holding my breath for evidence that makes me feel sympathy for any of the motorcyclists, injured or not.

Iago

If you look close you will notice a lack of tags on the bikes. There is a reason for this. They brake bumped that guy to get him to stop so they could shake him down or otherwise terrorize him.

These guys went out looking for trouble.

There are also 4-wheel ATV's riding with the bikes, and to the best of my knowledge, none of those are street-legal.

I've read elsewhere that they frequently have some of the bikes deliberately block traffic to a standstill, which causes a large empty opening up ahead that the other bikes can use to do donuts, etc. I'm thinking that may be what they were intending to do here.

What I see are a whole lot of cases of arrested development, with supposed adults acting like 5-year-olds who think the public highway system is their personal sandbox where they can do whatever they want, violate every traffic law, and fuck the rest of the public. And then the inevitable happens, and someone gets hurt. No sympathy from me.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>'Brake and bump' has been a prevalent shakedown tactic for a long time. Thugs in cars
>used to use it to get a car to stop so they could either rob or jack it.

A simpler version of this is just to brake hard, get the car to hit you (hopefully not too hard) - then sue for millions for whiplash, back injuries etc. Called a "swoop and squat" this is frequently done in cars, not often done on motorcycles for obvious reasons.

billvon

>'Brake and bump' has been a prevalent shakedown tactic for a long time. Thugs in cars
>used to use it to get a car to stop so they could either rob or jack it.

A simpler version of this is just to brake hard, get the car to hit you (hopefully not too hard) - then sue for millions for whiplash, back injuries etc. Called a "swoop and squat" this is frequently done in cars, not often done on motorcycles for obvious reasons.

Many years ago I was the car behind the car that was the 'brake and bump' victim. I stopped behind him and stayed until the police arrived to give them my name and statement. The motorcycle rider was doing everything he could to get me to leave before the police arrived. He later tried to sue the old man and I was called to give a deposition by the old man's attorney. Biker lost the case.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

This is interesting;
From the last line of the article:

"Police said their investigation continues – aided by additional video they’ve collected from other riders and witnesses."

Ref: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/02/suspects-charged-in-alleged-motorcycle-road-rage-attack-due-in-court/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

This is interesting;
From the last line of the article:

"Police said their investigation continues – aided by additional video they’ve collected from other riders and witnesses."

Ref: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/02/suspects-charged-in-alleged-motorcycle-road-rage-attack-due-in-court/

Come on. It's 2013. How many of the motorcycle guys had Go-Pros on? I'm not sure how the cops got footage from them (unless more of them were dumb enough to post it to FaceBook and YouTube).

And, just like everywhere else, as soon as there's a commotion, everyone starts shooting video with their phones.

I'm going to guess that there will be enough footage of this incident to figure out what really happened.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nataly,

I agree that sometimes car drivers can be dicks, but I think it is pretty clear that this group of riders were out to cause trouble.

Having a group of hooligans whizzing around your car is going to make you jumpy. I think that it is most likely the poor guy just got sucked into a situation he did not want.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/you-know-what-this-entire-incident-has-brought-up-a-pr-1436770450

Footage of their douchebaggery from other occasions including one where they start beating on another guys car.

ETA: I see someone already linked this..sadface.

As a side note I had a great FB debate with a biker supporter friend of mine who thinks the dad should be murdered.

We managed to distill it down to a simple problem.

The dad was afraid to exit the car after the initial fender bender.

Why?

He didn't have a gun.

A gun would enable him to face the angry mob and if needed defend himself and family before they were able to mount an attack should they prove hostile.

Without the gun he had a buildup of fear in his heart, and reacted with the only tool at his disposal, before he had even been attacked.

Guns keep fear from our hearts, and they allow asian dudes to face mobs of angry bikers safely while exchanging insurance information after a fender bender.

So pretty much I think it must be Obamas fault.

Gravitymaster

If you were in this situation, with your wife and child in the SUV, would you have wished you had a gun?

No, with a large group, odds are a couple of them have guns too. I start shooting at the first guy, they likely return fire at the car. With my wife and kids in the car, there are decent odds one of them takes a bullet.

Gravitymaster

******If you were in this situation, with your wife and child in the SUV, would you have wished you had a gun?

You DO know who you addressing that post to don't you?

Yep, I only asked for the entertainment value. The responses were predictable.

That is just because you cannot fathom a scenario in which a gun would not be a great addition.

I can think of many scenarios in which I think a gun might be helpful, I just don't like the odds of how I think this would play out.

Keep in mind that I am not a Chuck Norris like you. Unlike you, I am not capable to kill 30 guys before one of them can return fire, while sitting behind the wheel of an SUV. Maybe I need to watch mroe movies and play more video games {shrug}

SkyDekker

*********If you were in this situation, with your wife and child in the SUV, would you have wished you had a gun?

You DO know who you addressing that post to don't you?

Yep, I only asked for the entertainment value. The responses were predictable.

That is just because you cannot fathom a scenario in which a gun would not be a great addition.

I can think of many scenarios in which I think a gun might be helpful, I just don't like the odds of how I think this would play out.

Right, better to run down, perhaps, innocent people with your SUV and then race thru the streets at high speeds, running red lights and endangering more innocent people. Good thinking.

Keep in mind that I am not a Chuck Norris like you. Unlike you, I am not capable to kill 30 guys before one of them can return fire, while sitting behind the wheel of an SUV. Maybe I need to watch mroe movies and play more video games {shrug}

I have never shot at any one. Perhaps you need to lay off the movies for a while.

Bignugget

***If you were in this situation, with your wife and child in the SUV, would you have wished you had a gun?

No....I would have just ran you over.

Little hostile, considering GM wasn't there. The NYC bikers were.

How far did you have to go to hunt him down and run him over?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Right, better to run down, perhaps, innocent people with your SUV and then race thru the streets at high speeds, running red lights and endangering more innocent people. Good thinking.

And starting a gun fight would somehow not endanger innocent people?

Is your assertion that brandishing a gun would have made the mob of bikers go away and solved the problem?

In your mind, how would the inclusion of a gun in this scenario played out? I have provided what I think the likely outcome would have been. Your turn.