shattenjager

Combat veteran with "infidel" tattoo asked to leave Florida DZ

>If a veteran calls me a fucking liberal bitch, am I required to give him a pass because he's a veteran?

He could just be expressing his feeling that you have sex, that you support women's rights and that you have a female dog. It's your fault for being intolerant and easily offended.

The DZO can exercise their perogative to make decisions with their privately owned property. I can make the decision not to jump there and spend my money at a DZ who wants my business and is not prone to such assinine behavior. As a veteran myself, I encourage all vets, active duty military, Reserve, and Guard with a USPA license to avoid this place.

Your reading diligence and comprehension are tippity-top. Veterinarians deserve respect, too.

Why is it, then, when you found out people WERE offended, you wouldn't make an effort to resolve the issue? I know when I find out I've inadvertently offended someone, I do my best to make sure they understand that it was unintentional and help ensure it doesn't happen again. That is just good manners and respect.

^ This. Yes, Exactly.

^ yes

(I find tattoos to be a bit dim anyway, but different strokes for different folks, right?

But to deface your body for the purpose of making a negative statement about others..... When you could make a positive statement about something you are 'for'..... Frankly, it's a bit passive aggressive, and though an individual has every right to do whatever they want with their skin, it's a childish use of that skin.

Frankly, if someone wants to make a "statement", IMHO, the best 'statement' you can make is to live your life in the best you know how.

today - (looking back to a post Skymama posted about how vets used to act courteously, etc) people aren't polite, they are passive aggressive, anonymous, and constantly outraged. The world would be a better place if we looked each other in the eyes, and found ways to politely communicate what we think, and expect and assume the same from others.

the political correctness trend has made people, in general, into a bunch of whispering, outraged sissies that mumble out of the side of their mouths and then get outraged and vengeful - provided they can do it indirectly and not face to face)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'll say it again. All three sides made mistakes.

I don't see how the DZ made a mistake here..... Bringing it up to the first person just meant they assumed the best of both sides and expected a courteous response (either he: 1 - covers it up if he's crossed the line between being provocative and confrontative, or 2 - he then has the opportunity to open up a dialogue if it's an innocent misunderstanding, or 3 - leave if he doesn't want to deal with it either way)

I don't think it's a mistake to expect courtesy from others.

However, I'm not giving a pass to either the jumper or the Qatar general. A general should 'lead'. and that means he needs to be above the conflict - he should have instructed his men that they were visitors and to ignore this kind of thing and be professional. the jumper,,,,well, we've beaten that side to death.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As a veteran myself, I encourage all vets, active duty military, Reserve, and Guard with a USPA license to avoid this place.

I thank you for your service & appreciate your comments...but no thanks, I'll jump anyplace that I want to.

One of the freedoms we enjoy here is, as a business owner I can ask a patron of my business to conform with my wishes and not purposely create an antagonistic environment for others at my place...

I get the impression you don't know the whole story here.

The thread title is both misleading and totally inaccurate - he was NOT asked to leave the dropzone, he even said so in this thread.

He at one time said he was, but after that being proven a lie he retracted that statement...

He's gone on to contradict just about everything else he 'complained' about as well.

Please take the time to educate yourself on who this person is, what the true facts are surrounding his initial allegations - before calling into question the intentions & actions of the drop zone in question.

It's the prudent thing to do before you step up and call for the boycott of a drop zone with a good reputation for customer service on the word of a proven liar.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The DZO can exercise their perogative to make decisions with their privately owned property. I can make the decision not to jump there and spend my money at a DZ who wants my business and is not prone to such assinine behavior. As a veteran myself, I encourage all vets, active duty military, Reserve, and Guard with a USPA license to avoid this place.

And why would you encourage us to do that?
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

How much of the thread have you read? Does a veteran get a free pass for any behavior,?

Being a veteran, or priest, or Senator, or anything else, is not an excuse for bad behavior.

We didn't use vet status as an excuse for Timothy McVeigh, did we?

OTOH, having a tattoo to announce your ignorance to the world is not exactly a crime in the USA, is it. If it were, most freefliers would be in jail already.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OK all...get it out of your system and keep the airstrike coming until satisfied I've sustained sufficient shelling. i spoked too soon, I stand corrected. 1000 apologies are offered and I will flog myself with a big hot wet noodle tonight! I hope that is sufficient!

Dr. Kalland wrote:

"OTOH, having a tattoo to announce your ignorance to the world is not exactly a crime in the USA, is it. If it were, most freefliers would be in jail already."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeflyers should be in Jail, until they get over Freeflying.:S

I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

OK all...get it out of your system and keep the airstrike coming until satisfied I've sustained sufficient shelling. i spoke too soon, I stand corrected. 1000 apologies are offered and I will flog myself with a big hot wet noodle tonight! I hope that is sufficient!

Beer penalty! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

today - (looking back to a post Skymama posted about how vets used to act courteously, etc) people aren't polite, they are passive aggressive, anonymous, and constantly outraged. The world would be a better place if we looked each other in the eyes, and found ways to politely communicate what we think, and expect and assume the same from others.

How dare you bring logic, reason, and reality in here. How dare you, sir. :|
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

I will flog myself with a big hot wet noodle tonight!

It never happened if it's not on video >:(:P:P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It has always been my style, that if you have a problem with someone, you deal with that person directly (not their family, business or possessions). I see what you’re doing here as the equivalent to scratching someone’s car in the parking lot, with a key, because you’re mad at them – in short a childish and cowardly move.

Having a look at your blog, I see it has really drawn out the nutcases and you’ll probably get your “wished for” two minutes on Fox News. They’ll get their Fox News “Why can’t America be more like 1955” sound bite from you in their usual way and then immediately go into something like “next up after the break, we have a Minnesota woman who has taught her cat to play the piano.”

Seriously, I think you’ll look back at this as a mistake in the manner in which you have handled it.

With all the analogies made, here’s one that’s applicable. Say I don’t care for Southern Baptists, so on my next travels through the American south, I decide to wear a “Fuck Jesus” t-shirt. Should I be surprised if I run into problems and am not welcomed or asked to leave – even if it’s my right to wear any t-shirt I wish? - does it matter if I’m also a military veteran?

It’s sad and disrespectful that what you are doing embarrasses “real” heroes and takes away from them. The honourable and brave are respected not by just your country but from other countries also.

Use your efforts to make yourself better, not hinder others – the latter is a true waste of your time.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

looking back to a post Skymama posted about how vets used to act courteously, etc...

the political correctness trend has made people, in general, into a bunch of whispering, outraged sissies that mumble out of the side of their mouths and then get outraged and vengeful - provided they can do it indirectly and not face to face)

You're making three big mistakes: Overestimating the past, underestimating the present, and blaming the perceived difference on an unrelated phenomenon.

For further explanation, watch Woody Allen's Midnight In Paris. In fact, forget any of the petty oddness going on in this here and just watch the film - it's really very good. Even if Owen Wilson is a shade too Owen Wilsoney. Vicky Christina Barcelona was a better film just because Javier Bardem's a better actor. And the leading ladies were hotter, and the scenery was better. Maybe you should watch that film instead. Or just do anything except perpetuate this wierd circlejerk of a thread.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Or just do anything except perpetuate this wierd circlejerk of a thread.

My post was like 20 posts ago. So I'd suggest you go watch a film.

hell, let's both watch a film - more fun than this thread - I agree

and lastly, It's pretty difficult for Owen Wilson to be any less Owen Wilsony than he already is. It's pretty much all he's got. But that's ok, if you are looking for Owen Wilsony content in your movies......

Or just do anything except perpetuate this wierd circlejerk of a thread.

My post was like 20 posts ago. So I'd suggest you go watch a film.

hell, let's both watch a film - more fun than this thread - I agree

and lastly, It's pretty difficult for Owen Wilson to be any less Owen Wilsony than he already is. It's pretty much all he's got. But that's ok, if you are looking for Owen Wilsony content in your movies......

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.