shattenjager

Combat veteran with "infidel" tattoo asked to leave Florida DZ

I rarely post in these forums but do spend quite a bit of time lurking getting information about gear and pertinent information regarding our sport.

However this story has become viral and it's amazing to see the responses here on DZ.com...

Lake Wales is a private business where management has the right to make decisions best for their interests. In this case a complaint was brought to their attention and they attempted to defuse the situation. The actions that occurred afterwards will have long lasting affects throughout the community.

As for Eddie Bryant's actions I feel as anyone who decides to brand or tattoo themselves must have strong convictions to do so. He should of clearly been able to confront the person with the complaint and peacefully been able to verbally articulate his reasoning for this tattoo. But instead left and hid behind his social media persona, and has clearly given his lopsided version of the story that continues to change from one moment to the next. As for using your veteran's status for personal gain in your charity that is linked to almost every post you make it's appalling to say the least. As a veteran you must think of all the other's that willingly wore that uniform and made sacrifices that only we could understand, we joined to serve an organization bigger than yourself. It's disgraceful that you have allowed this incident to become a vendetta against any business fueling your personal gain, and smear the servicemen & women of this nation.

I too served this nation and have combat action fighting the same nations you have. However I do realize that we do a job the protected will never understand and we don't expect any handouts or expect to be treated any different. My combat action ribbon & your combat infantry badge still requires a lift ticket to get on the plane to jump. So stop your drama because in time Sh@t always rises to the top and your self proclaimed BS on your site has holes all over it and it won't be long to your exposed and on the cover of stolenvalor.com... How have you helped those suffering from PTSD where are these donations going where is the percentages listed towards the foundation. Just take a close look in the morning in the mirror as your shaving you have to live with that person for the rest of your life. Actions speak louder than words on a blog and you might want to change some of your military photos they look as if it was a training operation rather than combat theater.

As for the DZ's in the USA that continue to cater to our jumpers that require special need's like menu's to exclude pork products, no female's on loads, and require a male coach due to religious belief's it's getting scary. I here the weather in the middle east can be much better suited for DZ operations but as an American business owner you may encounter some difficulties. I'm afraid of what's next all I can say is I go to jump and avoid the drama. So go ahead guys & gals flame on, I'm sure I'll get quite a bit of flak about my post but it's my opinion, just my 2c. Blue Skies!
Live every day as it was your last, one day you'll be right!

I can't believe I read this whole thread up to this point. I feel dumber for it.

>>> That's nothing, now the thread is a lot longer and I forced myself to read it all before responding to your post. I don't feel dumber for it because I've appreciated the different perspectives offered here.

What gets me about this whole thing is a group of guys from Qatar come to the US and expect us to bend over backwards to kiss their ass.

If Everything we do is so offensive (Tattoo's, allow our women to skydive, eat pork) why the hell did they come here? Why do they get to walk into our house and tell us what to do?

Right now I am in Afghanistan, and I'll tell you what, I don't get to make demands on them in their house. This double standard blows...

I understand that a private business has the right to refuse service to anyone, however, if it was me and they made the request my response would have been:

"No, I'm not going to ask him to cover it up, welcome to America."

It's no secret we cherish our freedoms. If you need a more controlled environment, don't come here. UAE has a very nice drop zone I hear, and it's closer too...

+1
This is my take away from your post, and I'll agree with you. I appreciate the different view points presented here, especially the guy that started this whole shit storm posting his side. I was not as sold on his story as I was on yours.

The opposing side had some great points, and I thank them for articulating them so well.

In the end, for me, your post wins the day, Thanks.
But what do I know?

In this case a complaint was brought to their attention and they attempted to defuse the situation. .....He should of clearly been able to confront the person with the complaint and peacefully been able to verbally articulate his reasoning for this tattoo.

"You go talk, to your friends talk, to my friends talk to me.
But we are never ever ever ever getting back together"

Qatar whines to Betty...Betty whines to Eddie...Eddie whines to the world.

Screw me but there's a hole in the process that didn't get filled.

They all got what they earned.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I think a lot of the comments on this are very polarized, and I think that sucks. Not speaking to you directly airtwardo.

I agree...it's an emotional issue.

I agree. Its emotional.

And the reason why this raises such emotions here is because the skydiving community considers Eddie as someone who stabbed th e skydiving community in the back by raising this discussion.

I also think this is way too polarized. IMO both sides have good arguments and the DZ was put in a hard spot.

In this case a complaint was brought to their attention and they attempted to defuse the situation. .....He should of clearly been able to confront the person with the complaint and peacefully been able to verbally articulate his reasoning for this tattoo.

:D:D:D You couldn't resist.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And the reason why this raises such emotions here is because the skydiving community considers Eddie anyone as someone who stabbed the skydiving community in the back by raising this any public discussion.

It's the double edged sword of trying to keep everything quiet. When things get out it's quickly learned they aren't isolated incidents.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Saw this on Chalet Suzanne's FB that was commenting on the matter. One of the frequent jumpers at LW said this: "To start with, he was asking others at the dropzone what did they think would happen if he wore shorts and let the visitors see his tattoo. He also stated that he wondered if his blog would receive more donations due to the recent activity."

Seems to me, at least, the more this goes on, the more he staged it all.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

It does not suprise me that he planned this after seeing how his story continually changed. When a person continually lies it is hard for them to remember what was said so the story is always changing to benefit the moment.

I will be suprised if any DZs let him jump due to his mental instability. Seems like it would be a serious liability when something does happen after his actions have been so publicized.

Wonder if USPA will pull his license for intentionally damaging one of its DZs and bringing nothing but bad press to our sport?

>Wonder if USPA will pull his license for intentionally damaging one of its DZs and
>bringing nothing but bad press to our sport?

Skydivers do this all the time. They sue manufacturers out of business, go to the media with accusations about competing DZ's, slander each other on line . . . . if you pulled all those people's licenses you'd be pulling an awful lot of them.

>Is this a great country or what?

I sure love it here,but I've never lived in another country,just visited a few.
It's pretty awesome that we can express so many opposing views and not suffer any punishment for doing so.
I often times even express views I do not fully agree with simply to play the devils advocate,because I can.:)

I agree, and I have lived in another country. It's not perfect, but, well, I'm at least familiar with its imperfections, and know how to navigate them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As far as donations go, I am willing to donate a new Liquid Sky camera jacket. Think he'll like it ?

Fuck, I"LL take itB|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The DZO can exercise their perogative to make decisions with their privately owned property. I can make the decision not to jump there and spend my money at a DZ who wants my business and is not prone to such assinine behavior. As a veteran myself, I encourage all vets, active duty military, Reserve, and Guard with a USPA license to avoid this place.

How much of the thread have you read? Does a veteran get a free pass for any behavior, even if he really was trying to get a rise out of someone?

If a veteran calls me a fucking liberal bitch, am I required to give him a pass because he's a veteran?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)