airdvr

Real life gun quandry. What would you do?

Rox runs a facility for DD persons. Along with a 32 bed residence there is a dayhab facility (workshop). The persons who are in the workshop are not all residents of the facility so she really doesn't know them as well.

Here's the situation; dayhab client fairly high functioning, known liar and several reports of alleged sexual misconduct. End of last week he brings pictures of high powered weapons to the workshop, showing them to various people including an employee. He says they are his. Yesterday he tells a different employee that Friday is his last day and he hates everyone there and there will be 'hell to pay' in his own words.

What is the next course of action?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Rox runs a facility for DD persons. Along with a 32 bed residence there is a dayhab facility (workshop). The persons who are in the workshop are not all residents of the facility so she really doesn't know them as well.

Here's the situation; dayhab client fairly high functioning, known liar and several reports of alleged sexual misconduct. End of last week he brings pictures of high powered weapons to the workshop, showing them to various people including an employee. He says they are his. Yesterday he tells a different employee that Friday is his last day and he hates everyone there and there will be 'hell to pay' in his own words.

What is the next course of action?

Keep pictures and any threats you have in writing and get to LEO NOW! Don't wait on something like this. Seeing the signs just before an act of violence can be very hard and people often second guess themselves. I am pro gun but also have extensive MIL/LEO background. You need to get the ball rolling on this right now.
Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

Can you explain to me what LEO is please?

Law enforcement office or officer depending on the context
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

As I said, local LEO will only get involved if he shows up armed. County subsidized facility, no guns allowed so you can't bring one in to protect yourself.

Rox has tried to have him removed from the dayhab previously due to the sexual complaints. She was denied by the county because it could not be proven. They threatened legal action if she barred him from the facility.

Yesterday, she again contacted the county to file a Major Unusual Incident report (all MUI's must be investigated within 24 hours). They would not accept it. She was told over the phone 'he's not dangerous'.

Destinations by Roxanne

Is this all theoretical or actual? Because for any solution we give, you can just keep changing the rules. If there is a square foot of land in the US, there is some form of LEO that has jurisdiction.

My answer is you get an OPC order of protective custody. Here you go through the coroners office of all places with details and proof, and the local LEO picks them up and brings them to mental hospital for 72 hour evaluation if the coroner's office says its warranted..

( I was typing this before you posted above me, so anything I say here was before the post you typed)

Public or private property you can be banned from entering the premises. Let it be known to him he is not to come back. If he does call LEO have him charged with trespassing.

History: We kept having break ins, and damage to our vehicles with no proof of who did it. We also had a crazy man always come and want to use our bathroom, and would always leave a mess. He would also hide in the bushes and scare the women workers at night. We called LEO, and asked to have him banned, and charged if he came back on the property. It was researched and found to be a legal order. This is 100% public property, so your subsidized situation would be even more valid I would think.

She did the only thing she can do at this point. She barred him from the facility and has placed local LEO on alert. The county might seek a legal remedy to get him back in the facility. We'll have to see what happens.

Point is no one wants to step up to the plate and take some action for fear of repercussions. The powers that be at the county level have no interest in getting involved. What you're seeing is policies put in place to protect DD individuals have tilted so far to the left as to place service providers in a bad place.

Destinations by Roxanne

>Local law enforcement says they have no jurisdiction. Crime has not yet been committed.

Threatening harm to others is a crime. The definitions vary; one is "a reasonably perceived threat of physical injury." If someone calls the police and says "a guy with mental problems just came in here, showed us pictures of guns and threatened us" they're not doing their jobs if they don't at least investigate.

Welcome to the world of government.

A couple of things: from a civil liberties standpoint, yes, I have no problem with not confiscating weapons from a guy who has made no specific threat. Additionally, we see how the system works. I take it that by DD you mean “developmentally disabled.” DD does not mean crazy. Nor does it mean non-evil. But the police say the guy has done nothing illegal yet, so they have to wait.

I do, however, have a problem with a system that says “we will not protect you and you better not try to protect yourself.” But it’s the way the policy is run, nowadays. After all, it’s in the name of safety and security, eh?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

He is of legal age and his own guardian. He lives with his mother. There are allegations that he beats her but again nothing that can be substantiated. Rox did speak with his mother. All she could get out of her is "I don't think he has any guns."

ETA...she talked with a sheriff she knows. He is going to 'stop by his house and nose around'.

Destinations by Roxanne

If she has hard evidence, the other thing that could be done is call the local media. It is amazing how some things that "can't be done" actually get done when the media gets involved.

If there is no hard evidence, then there isn't a lot she can (and IMO should be able to do) besides being able to protect herself. But that is a different subject/discussion.

Do they have insurance, and will it possibly cover the cost of a guard for a week?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Here are some things she can do:

Seek an emergency committment order, temporary detention order, whatever they call it in yout state to have the individual hospitalized.

Seek a restraining order. She can do tht as an individual. Such a restraining order requires him to give up all weapons and prohibits him from the facility.

She needs to call everybody involved in the care of the individual, including the case manager, mom, any other care providers. She may also need to involve regional human rights advocate or others.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

The person will end up killing someone. Reason: there is no one to stop him. Citizens are unarmed and police can't do a thing including following him around for a week or 2 to chart the persons actions.
As they are too busy eating donuts and handing out tickets for traffic violations. '
A matter of priorities, filling the state coffers via ticket writing vs doing some good police work that might prevent crime and save lives.

My advice: watch your back.

Local law enforcement says they have no jurisdiction. Crime has not yet been committed.

I call bullshit somewhere in this story.

In Texas if everything was like it was stated, it could be terroristic threat. Also a check would be made to make sure that guy isn't a felon or has been previously convicted of family violence. Then a Crisis Intervention Officer would probably get involved and may get MHMR involved.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Best the locals could do was be alerted. He is now aware that he is not allowed to enter the dayhab facility for any reason. If he does we are told he would be arrested.

Why not provide the FULL story first. That way you'd get the best responses. Now that you've provided additional info, it look like your quandry is no longer a quandry. ;)

Best the locals could do was be alerted. He is now aware that he is not allowed to enter the dayhab facility for any reason. If he does we are told he would be arrested.

Why not provide the FULL story first. That way you'd get the best responses. Now that you've provided additional info, it look like your quandry is no longer a quandry. ;)

But it's so much more entertaining, pulling it out inch by inch. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

We didn't get this response until this evening.

Destinations by Roxanne