jclalor

I Really Hope the news is Wrong...

Sickening.

I do, often, find myself wondering why we in the USA seem more prone to these kinds of incidents. I never have come up with a good answer. It's not like other countries don't have these sorts of incidents, of course, but our frequency seems far greater than the rest of the world.

Saddens me beyond words to read of these things.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

But for sure we do not have a gun problem....

If people and the right wing thinks that a bunch of pissed off Moms are not going to be taking action, well go ahead and stand there clutching your guns....

Look what they did for drunk driving. No different in skydiving. If we fail to regulate ourselves, then someone will step in and do it.

And if the NRA and the extreme gun right digs in, then they can expect to lose absolutely everything in the end.

I read in another article the perpetrator seems to be the father of one of the students there. This is horrible. Why cant people just kill themselves and not ruin other peoples lives?

I initially suspected a custody dispute gone bad. I'm figuring a father with a restraining order and nothing to lose and wanted to make a point.

I'm likely wrong, but it's where my thoughts are.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Out of curiosity, if by some stretch of the imagination guns were outlawed, say yesterday or last week or last year, do you think this still would have happened? Would this obviously fucked up individual thought to himself "well shit, now guns are illegal. there goes my plans at a mass murder. I can't use a gun to murder 26 people and then kill myself because guns are illegal"?
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Here we go again.

Please tell me how layering MORE laws will stop this?
Why do you gunophobes always think MORE stupid laws will fix anything?
Oh that's right...we used that approach to drugs. Poof! No more bad drugs anywhere.

Want to really fix this?
Even the odds.
Issue a gun to every single citizen on their 18th birthday.
Seriously think anyone would pull a gun in public if they 200 the 300 people around them would all pull theirs too?

That's why I laugh every time I go into my bank and see the "no concealed carry guns allowed" sign on the door. If I'm gonna rob a place, guess where I'm going...thats right, a bank where no one will stop me. You know what I wouldn't rob? A gun show, or a shooting range, or any building I know people are carrying guns and can stop me.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I hate to break it to you, tk, but since gun laws have become stricter and stricter we are seeing more of these types of incidents. I’m willing to make the assumption that the shooter/shooters ignored one or more gun control laws. I am also willing to make a pretty sizable bet that the dead were fully compliant with those same gun control laws. You know, the law-abiding citizens who were shot by a law breaking citizen?

My belief is increasing that those arguing for more gun control laws are misanthropes – those who would rather see defenseless people keep on dying by those who disregard those championed laws rather than admit that their solutions just aren’t working. Indeed, there seems to be a pretty strong correlation between stricter gun control and increased mass shootings.

Would you expect that stricter gun control laws would prevent this? Might as well argue that pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere will cool it off despite what the historical trend shows.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Out of curiosity, if by some stretch of the imagination guns were outlawed, say yesterday or last week or last year, do you think this still would have happened? Would this obviously fucked up individual thought to himself "well shit, now guns are illegal. there goes my plans at a mass murder. I can't use a gun to murder 26 people and then kill myself because guns are illegal"?

To your point

http://www.courant.com/sns-rt-us-china-stabbingsbre8bd065-20121213,0,5592318.story
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If people and the right wing thinks that a bunch of pissed off Moms are not going to be taking action, well go ahead and stand there clutching your guns....

Look what they did for drunk driving. No different in skydiving. If we fail to regulate ourselves, then someone will step in and do it.

And if the NRA and the extreme gun right digs in, then they can expect to lose absolutely everything in the end.

I'll be damned

I did not know that drunk driving no longer happened

Go figure

I need to pay closer attention
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I do, often, find myself wondering why we in the USA seem more prone to these kinds of incidents. I never have come up with a good answer. It's not like other countries don't have these sorts of incidents, of course, but our frequency seems far greater than the rest of the world.

The US is one of the largest countries in the world, along with being one of the ones with the highest rate of guns in circulation.

But the number of events is such a small number that it makes comparison difficult. Norway, with its singular event, dominates them all from a simple rate calculation. England's one Dunblame also puts it pretty high given the smaller population.

But like shark attacks, these aren't the biggest threats children face in life, or even close. But they strike much more fear than the possibility of getting run over in a driveway or drowning in the pool.

You don't have a problem with guns, you have a problem with your culture.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I hate to break it to you, tk, but since gun laws have become stricter and stricter we are seeing more of these types of incidents. I’m willing to make the assumption that the shooter/shooters ignored one or more gun control laws. I am also willing to make a pretty sizable bet that the dead were fully compliant with those same gun control laws. You know, the law-abiding citizens who were shot by a law breaking citizen?

What were seeing is more and more of the mentally ill trying to top each other in the body count contest and by targeting the most vulnerable members of society. This is going to be the new norm for us for a long while and is part of the large price were going to pay for our right to own guns.

Perhaps slashing mental healthcare will also increase the pace.

Machete attacks on school children have happened
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Here we go again.

Please tell me how layering MORE laws will stop this?
Why do you gunophobes always think MORE stupid laws will fix anything?
Oh that's right...we used that approach to drugs. Poof! No more bad drugs anywhere.

Want to really fix this?
Even the odds.
Issue a gun to every single citizen on their 18th birthday.
Seriously think anyone would pull a gun in public if they 200 the 300 people around them would all pull theirs too?

Yep. Everybody's got to get his own gun. And nobody will pull it out in emergency case (of others), as shown in another thread. [:/]

Why don't you go and tell this to the parents of the killed kids? "Hey mom, I'm so sorry .... but ... with a weapon for everyone over 18, this surely would not have happened ...." (The killer was about 20, 21 ??)

Would you walk around blurting "guns for every 18th birthday ... " if one of your kids was shot?

What an idiocy. Kids are killed and the weapons owners' first concern is "Help, they're going to take mine away..." :o

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Sickening.

Saddens me beyond words to read of these things.

Ian

Easy - because a lot of people (including on this forum) think it just fine that crazy people should have easy access to guns.

We'll have the apologists out in force soon.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's why I laugh every time I go into my bank and see the "no concealed carry guns allowed" sign on the door. If I'm gonna rob a place, guess where I'm going...thats right, a bank where no one will stop me. You know what I wouldn't rob? A gun show, or a shooting range, or any building I know people are carrying guns and can stop me.

Oh, and there I thought the security personnel of banks in the US is armed? They're not?

Now I do understand why you're laughing .... :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105