jclalor

I Really Hope the news is Wrong...

Yep. Everybody's got to get his own gun.

Right.

And nobody will pull it out in emergency case (of others), as shown in another thread. [:/]

That seems to be the case in states with shall-issue concealed carry permits.

What an idiocy. Kids are killed and the weapons owners' first concern is "Help, they're going to take mine away..." :o

Seems reasonable to me. I can't do anything about the dead children and know from past experience that idiots will use every sordid incident as an excuse for depriving me of my rights.

The government should deal with the biggest dangers first. Where children are concerned that'd be cleaning supplies and swimming pools.

These sorts of things will occur periodically until we arm school employees like they did in Israel.

You're kidding right? Maybe the banks around you, but around here the security "guards" are either 80 years old or 300lbs overweight. And there's one of them. And he's usually opening the door for you when you walk in. Take him down and you're home free!

If you're prepared to rob a bank and get away with it, you're prepared to deal with one guard who isn't even ready for you. What if several other people in that building were also armed, wouldn't you think twice about going in there?
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I hate to break it to you, tk, but since gun laws have become stricter and stricter

Not true. Gun laws have become laxer and laxer.

Hardly.

I can't have guns delivered by mail to my house from the Sears catalog, can't import "non-sporting" guns, can't buy a new machine gun, and am subject to much stricter state regulations.

Machete attacks on school children have happened

Outside of a few people of the Rhuwandian persuasion, I would thing killing twenty something people at one time with a machete is not too likely.

In a school full of 5-10 year olds? Seems like you could go into a room and have your way with the lot before a call is even made to police. Unless the teacher was armed...
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I hate to break it to you, tk, but since gun laws have become stricter and stricter

Hardly.

I can't have guns delivered by mail to my house from the Sears catalog, can't import "non-sporting" guns, can't buy a new machine gun, and am subject to much stricter state regulations.

"Assualt weapon" ban not renewed. Supreme Court overturns numerous restrictions in NYC and Chicago. CCW forced on Illinois against the will of its residents. Gun show loophole created...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What were seeing is more and more of the mentally ill trying to top each other in the body count contest and by targeting the most vulnerable members of society. This is going to be the new norm for us for a long while and is part of the large price were going to pay for our right to own guns.

What we are seeing is more and more responses to a policy of “pass a law against it and pray it doesn’t happen.” The present laws forbid any form of internal mitigative response to these matters. Instead, the response may be only from sworn law enforcement who are authorized to enter a campus with a weapon.

How about this for a notion? Schools form policies and procedures and are given training on the use and deployment of equipment and strategies/tactics/drills to provide an internal response to mitigate these incidents. That means putting certain things on the table:
(1) Teachers, administrators and staff trained on procedures to mount a defense against an invading shooter
(2) Teachers, administrators and staff being allowed to volunteer to form response teams and receive training in the use of weapons to neutralize an attacker
(3) Teachers, administrators and staff having the equipment available to neutralize these shooters?

Out here we train for fires. We train for earthquakes. We used to train for nuclear attacks. We prayed these things didn’t happen but we trained and keep training and drilling for events. We don’t do that with shooters. Why? Because for all intents and purposes, no meaningful defense can be mounted with school possession laws being what they are.

I am arguing that it is time to quit denying what we are facing. And it is time to quit simply passing laws that further ingrain the circumstances that lead to schools being targeted. It’s time to start forming responses to this. It is time to start eliminating easy pickins. It is time to get these people to start thinking that the goal of massive death counts will not be met at our schools.

I never hear of any of these strategies mentioned in the gun control debate. And I sense that those who are in favor of banning guns would not like this approach, since it inherently requires the use of firepower to fight firepower. But it’s time to take a look and conclude that what has been done has been ineffective at best and misanthropic at worst.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"Assualt weapon" ban not renewed. Supreme Court overturns numerous restrictions in NYC and Chicago

Take a look at Chicago's homicide rate with those restrictions.

And just a couple of weeks ago, news reports were out there that New York City actually went 24 hours without a homicide.

And in response to your, "gun laws getting laxer" I am referring to, specifically in this case, the laws banning possession of firearms on school grounds.

It's been really effective, hasn't it?

Thats a lot of sticking plasters, you'd be better off treating the disease rather than trying to suppress the symptoms.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Assualt weapon" ban not renewed. Supreme Court overturns numerous restrictions in NYC and Chicago

INDEED IT WAS, THE HOMICIDE RATE WAS DECREASING PRIOR TO THE BAN BEING OVERTURNED, AND NOW IT IS GOING BACK UP UP.

Homicides in Chicago 1990-2012
1990: 851[6]
1991: 927[7]
1992: 943[7]
1993: 855[7]
1994: 931[7]
1995: 828[7]
1996: 796[7]
1997: 761[7]
1998: 704[7]
1999: 643[7]
2000: 633[7]
2001: 667[7]
2002: 656[7]
2003: 601[7]
2004: 453[7]
2005: 451[7]
2006: 471[7]
2007: 448[7]
2008: 513[7]
2009: 459[7]
2010: 436[7]
2011: 433[7]
2012: 488(to date)[8]

Hardly.

"Assualt weapon" ban not renewed. Supreme Court overturns numerous restrictions in NYC and Chicago. CCW forced on Illinois against the will of its residents. Gun show loophole created...

Ahhh...the sound of freedom.:P I was reading your earlier post and I think the laws are not more laxer, they are just not being inforced. My .02 cents

INDEED IT WAS, THE HOMICIDE RATE WAS DECREASING PRIOR TO THE BAN BEING OVERTURNED, AND NOW IT IS GOING BACK UP UP.

Correlation does not imply causation, you know better than that, disingenuous sir disingenuous.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Correlation doesn't prove causation, you know better than that, disingenuous sir disingenuous.

Certainly it DISPROVES lawrocket's statement, though. Try reading the thread.

Hardly.

Ahhh...the sound of freedom.:P

Do you believe that crazy people should be free to own guns?

What were seeing is more and more of the mentally ill trying to top each other in the body count contest and by targeting the most vulnerable members of society. This is going to be the new norm for us for a long while and is part of the large price were going to pay for our right to own guns.

What we are seeing is more and more responses to a policy of “pass a law against it and pray it doesn’t happen.” The present laws forbid any form of internal mitigative response to these matters. Instead, the response may be only from sworn law enforcement who are authorized to enter a campus with a weapon.

How about this for a notion? Schools form policies and procedures and are given training on the use and deployment of equipment and strategies/tactics/drills to provide an internal response to mitigate these incidents. That means putting certain things on the table:
(1) Teachers, administrators and staff trained on procedures to mount a defense against an invading shooter
(2) Teachers, administrators and staff being allowed to volunteer to form response teams and receive training in the use of weapons to neutralize an attacker
(3) Teachers, administrators and staff having the equipment available to neutralize these shooters?

Out here we train for fires. We train for earthquakes. We used to train for nuclear attacks. We prayed these things didn’t happen but we trained and keep training and drilling for events. We don’t do that with shooters. Why? Because for all intents and purposes, no meaningful defense can be mounted with school possession laws being what they are.

I am arguing that it is time to quit denying what we are facing. And it is time to quit simply passing laws that further ingrain the circumstances that lead to schools being targeted. It’s time to start forming responses to this. It is time to start eliminating easy pickins. It is time to get these people to start thinking that the goal of massive death counts will not be met at our schools.

I never hear of any of these strategies mentioned in the gun control debate. And I sense that those who are in favor of banning guns would not like this approach, since it inherently requires the use of firepower to fight firepower. But it’s time to take a look and conclude that what has been done has been ineffective at best and misanthropic at worst.

It sounds about as logical as combating drunk drivers by building safer cars. The day we solve mass kindergarten shootings by having SWAT training for teachers, janitors and lunch ladies is the day this country is doomed.

Thats a lot of sticking plasters, you'd be better off treating the disease rather than trying to suppress the symptoms.

Yes. You try your best to prevent cancer. But you know, sometimes it happens despite your efforts.

What do you do then? I'm suggesting that the time has long passed when we should be considering additional measures.

I'm disappointed in those who would keep trying prevention prevention prevention and ignore the idea of preparing to treat the bad event when it happens.

> Do you believe that crazy people should be free to own guns?

No, not at all. I do however feel that law abiding "American" citizens should be allowed to own a weapon. Armed citizens have an opportunity to fire back.

Now I might have said to much here, the NSA might be gathering intell on me.:S

It sounds about as logical as combating drunk drivers by building safer cars.

Yet we are consistently trying to build safer cars. And we have airbags and seatbelts and more people are actually surviving and injuries are lessened. No policy has ever stopped drunk drivers but we actually have people given a greater chance of surviving them.

That you have a problem with more people surviving is beyond my comprehension.

Banning guns is just another way of trying to suppress the symptoms. Shootings in schools happen with a mind boggling frequency in the USA, the problem is not guns but one of mental illness and sick society. Fix those social and cultural problems and you will stop school shootings and guns no longer become the issue. Treat the cause of the mental health issues of the murderer and the issue is dealt with.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

That's why I laugh every time I go into my bank and see the "no concealed carry guns allowed" sign on the door. If I'm gonna rob a place, guess where I'm going...thats right, a bank where no one will stop me. You know what I wouldn't rob? A gun show, or a shooting range, or any building I know people are carrying guns and can stop me.

That is exactly why the guy that shot up the movie theater in Colorado drove past the TWO theaters closest to his apartment heading to the one he shot up... "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED" he knew there was a MUCH lower chance of someone being armed and fighting back. This was proven.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee