SpeedRacer

Would you legalize prostitution?

It sickens me how people debase love....my self included.

I think most people go to prostitutes for sex, not for love. :P

GFE:

The girlfriend experience (commonly known as GFE) is a type of service a female sex worker offers which includes acting like a girlfriend to the client. GFE includes french kissing, hugging, talking, and eating a meal together.

For some people, that's foreplay.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Why do you have a right to sex when others do not?

Because I'm an American and it's in the Constitution that the govt is supposed to look out for my welfare. Besides, sex makes me happy and I have a Costitutional right to pursue happiness. Haven't you read the Constitution? It's in there, you know.

I know you meant the above comment as a joke. Sadly, that is the attitude so many Americans have these days. The entitlement mentality that demands free and abundant sex with whatever and whomever desired at the moment, without consequence. Along with the absolution of personal responsibility for food, shelter and clothing.

The government should give me what I want, when I want it and I want it now. That is the belief of the decadent citizenry.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Well?

It seems strange that it isn't legal. If I meet a woman in a bar it is perfectly legal for me to have sex with her for no better reason than that I like the way her boobs look. But if we have sex for money, suddenly the law steps in and says "No, you two can't have sex for THAT reason!":S

A good summary of why it should not be legal in terms of actual damage done to the women:

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/persecution/pch0261.htm

It links to a few studies from here:
http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/

which in turn has studies all over the place, here's a good (long) summary:
http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/pdfs/Myths%20&%20Facts%20Legal%20&%20Illegal%20Prostitution%203-09.pdf

The gist of it all is that legal prostitution increases crime, legal prostitutes are raped more, have more mental health issues (ptsd, suicide, etc), are still exploited, are still forced into prostituting (4 out of 5 women in legal brothels want out), so on and so forth.

On the bare surface, sure, it may look like no one is getting hurt when you legalize it, but research shows that notion couldn't be farther from the truth.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Well?

It seems strange that it isn't legal. If I meet a woman in a bar it is perfectly legal for me to have sex with her for no better reason than that I like the way her boobs look. But if we have sex for money, suddenly the law steps in and says "No, you two can't have sex for THAT reason!":S

A good summary of why it should not be legal in terms of actual damage done to the women:

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/persecution/pch0261.htm

It links to a few studies from here:
http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/

which in turn has studies all over the place, here's a good (long) summary:
http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/pdfs/Myths%20&%20Facts%20Legal%20&%20Illegal%20Prostitution%203-09.pdf

The gist of it all is that legal prostitution increases crime, legal prostitutes are raped more, have more mental health issues (ptsd, suicide, etc), are still exploited, are still forced into prostituting (4 out of 5 women in legal brothels want out), so on and so forth.

On the bare surface, sure, it may look like no one is getting hurt when you legalize it, but research shows that notion couldn't be farther from the truth.

Having lived a great deal of my life in locales where prostitution is legal, I am underwhelmed by the arguments against it.

Given the "fair and balanced" sources you cite, I am not apt to give much credence to them. I expect as unbiased a treatment of the subject as might be expected of Al Sharpton's dissertation on racism or the DEA's stance on the 'war on drugs.'

Do I recommend drugs, alcohol, gambling or prostitution? Not hardly.

Is there any reason to think that the proscription of said 'vices' has any net benefit? None whatsoever.

As Eric Sevareid said, "the chief cause of problems is solutions," and the never-ending - and universally unsuccessful - attempts to legislate morality are prime examples of this principle.

One has the right to be wrong, but I can see no benefit to the vigorous exercise of such a right.

BSBD,

Winsor

I scanned through the garbage you provided, because usually right wing sources like the ones you provided, will take a piss on the liberal cesspool that is the Netherlands. And it indeed did; the figure that most stood out is child prostitution, apparently it more than tripled to 15.000 in the five years after 1996. This is BS. While it's hard to get good figures on it, the number of minor prostitutes is estimated to be a couple of thousand (estimates range from 2000 to 4000 AFAICS. The organization ChildRight who provided the figure of 15.000 smells a bit fishy, btw, but of course the likes of you don't mind that, you want the highest number because those make fear mongering more effective.

But a good job reinforcing the stereotypes again.

The government should give me what I want, when I want it and I want it now. That is the belief of the decadent citizenry.

Nobody actually believes that. It's just a boogeyman that makes it easier for you to demonize everyone you don't agree with.

- Dan G

Introductory drinks at a bar - $40
Quiet dinner - $60
Bottle of wine at his place or hers - $20

The guy is often over $100 into this deal before coitus. Define prostitution. Is that when you only pay AFTER sex? I thought that was marriage.

Semantics sometimes.

If you want all the related nastiness to be illegal, like slavery, rape, etc.....hey....those are already illegal.

So, what was the discussion? Seriously. Defnine prostitution. Most guys pay for it one way or the other. A little cynical, but true in many cases.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Nobody actually believes that. It's just a boogeyman that makes it easier for you to demonize everyone you don't agree with.

I spent the last 15 years or so working with people that believed it. I lived in the counter culture from 1976-81 with people that believed it. So I say you are flat out wrong.

Apparently, you have been fortunate in life and never had to associate with the welfare people.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Quiet dinner - $60

Well there's this expression "going Dutch" and else there's always roofies. ;)

But more seriously, I think we agree for the most part. Sex is often used as a trade commodity or a negotiation tool, so indeed, define prostitution.

Apparently, you have been fortunate in life and never had to associate with the welfare people.

I have been fortunate in life. I've also chosen not to be a drug addict, or associate with low lifes. I'm sure there are some people who game the system, but to imply that everyone who uses government assistance believes that the government should provide them with everything on demand is disingenous.

- Dan G

Definitely should be legal. It would be safer for the workers and the customers and could produce some additional tax revenue. There's no rational argument for why it should be illegal when so many very similar occupations are perfectly legal.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Quiet dinner - $60

Well there's this expression "going Dutch" and else there's always roofies. ;)

But more seriously, I think we agree for the most part. Sex is often used as a trade commodity or a negotiation tool, so indeed, define prostitution.

You don't pay for the sex, you pay for them to leave right after your done ;)
Blue Skies!

If you don't like it do it yourself and shut up
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/21/RJq7qFNeoECVymQBZu1E3g2.jpg

I have been fortunate in life. I've also chosen not to be a drug addict, or associate with low lifes. I'm sure there are some people who game the system, but to imply that everyone who uses government assistance believes that the government should provide them with everything on demand is disingenous.

To assume those people who do believe the government should meet their every need are in the minority is naive.

>To assume those people who do believe the government should meet their every need
>are in the minority is naive.

Interesting. I have never met such a person. Where do they live? They must primarily live near you if you see them all the time. What do they look like? How do you find them?

>To assume those people who do believe the government should meet their every need

Interesting. I have never met such a person. Where do they live? They must primarily live near you if you see them all the time. What do they look like? How do you find them?

We know he has invisible friends. It is unreasonable that the rest of us should be able to see them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

They are the clients of the social service programs both federally funded and NGO that represent the membership in the homeless coalitions. They are baby mommas and aunties of clients in the substance use disorder programs. That is where I worked and before that where I lived.

You fortunate, educated middle class and upper middle class folks have no idea how the welfare class thinks and functions. They are not stupid.

These people were born into the system two or more generations ago. They know how to manipulate and use the system.

On the other side of the coin, this dysfunctional system is largely maintained by the professionals that run the programs. The whole game is about acquiring and maintaining funding. Salaries are determined by management's ability to get funding. Client successes are reported as a subterfuge of statistics and report creativity.

You and kallend are sheltered from the truth and your liberal attitudes just make you feel guilty.

I scanned through the garbage you provided, because usually right wing sources like the ones you provided, will take a piss on the liberal cesspool that is the Netherlands. And it indeed did; the figure that most stood out is child prostitution, apparently it more than tripled to 15.000 in the five years after 1996. This is BS. While it's hard to get good figures on it, the number of minor prostitutes is estimated to be a couple of thousand (estimates range from 2000 to 4000 AFAICS. The organization ChildRight who provided the figure of 15.000 smells a bit fishy, btw, but of course the likes of you don't mind that, you want the highest number because those make fear mongering more effective.

But a good job reinforcing the stereotypes again.

Don't let actual research get in the way of your preconceived notions. You, and who ever else arbitrarily dismissed the numbers because it didn't suit what you wanted to believe are free to conduct and or cite your own studies. Until you do, of course, you're just burying your head in the sand.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

They are the clients of the social service programs both federally funded and NGO that represent the membership in the homeless coalitions. They are baby mommas and aunties of clients in the substance use disorder programs. That is where I worked and before that where I lived.

You fortunate, educated middle class and upper middle class folks have no idea how the welfare class thinks and functions. They are not stupid.

These people were born into the system two or more generations ago. They know how to manipulate and use the system.

On the other side of the coin, this dysfunctional system is largely maintained by the professionals that run the programs. The whole game is about acquiring and maintaining funding. Salaries are determined by management's ability to get funding. Client successes are reported as a subterfuge of statistics and report creativity.

You and kallend are sheltered from the truth and your liberal attitudes just make you feel guilty.

Get over yourself. Your perspective is just as skewed by the people you deal with as everyone else. Just because I don't know any such people doesn't mean they don't exist, and just because your job has you interacting with lots of them doesn't mean they represent a high percentage of the population. To paraphrase you, "to assume that such people are a majority is naive".

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You didn't cite a study, you regurgitated some garbage you found on the internet.

http://www.movisie.nl/115023/def/home/jeugdprostitutie/

This is a bit more like it (I hope your Dutch is as good as mine): this particular source speaks of 2500 prostituting minors. Mind you that this doesn't mean there's 2500 child prostitutes, this is all prostitutes younger than 18. The 15.000 number was an estimate made by one organization that hasn't any authority in these matters. It has been disputed by about everyone else since then. Oh, and don't be a fool and don't pretend you know my country better than I do, will ya?

The Lady of Joy

EVEN PROSTITUTION, in the long run, may become more or less respectable profession, as it was in the great days of the Greeks. That quality will surely attach to it if ever it grows quite unnecessary; whatever is unnecessary is always respectable, for example, religion, fashionable clothing, and a knowledge of Latin grammar. The prostitute is disesteemed today, not because her trade involves anything intrinsically degrading or even disagreeable, but because she is currently assumed to have been driven into it by dire necessity, against her dignity and inclination. That this assumption is usually unsound is no objection to it; nearly all the thinking of the world, particularly in the field of morals, is based upon unsound assumption, e.g., that God observes the fall of a sparrow and is shocked by the fall of a Sunday-school superintendent. The truth is that prostitution is one of the most attractive of the occupations practically open to the sort of women who engage in it, and that the prostitute commonly likes her work, and would not exchange places with a shop-girl or a waitress for anything in the world. The notion to the contrary is propagated by unsuccessful prostitutes who fall into the hands of professional reformers, and who assent to the imbecile theories of the latter in order to cultivate their good will, just as convicts in prison, questioned by teetotalers, always ascribe their rascality to alcohol. No prostitute of anything resembling normal intelligence is under the slightest duress; she is perfectly free to abandon her trade and go into a shop or factory or into domestic service whenever the impulse strikes her; all the prevailing gabble about white slave jails and kidnappers comes from pious rogues who make a living by feeding such nonsense to the credulous. So long as the average prostitute is able to make a good living, she is quite content with her lot, and disposed to contrast it egotistically with the slavery of her virtuous sisters. If she complains of it, then you may be sure that her success is below her expectations. A starving lawyer always sees injustice in the courts. A bad physician is a bitter critic of Ehrlich and Pasteur. And when a suburban clergyman is forced out of his cure by a vestry-room revolution he almost invariably concludes that the sinfulness of man is incurable, and sometimes he even begins to doubt some of the typographical errors in Holy Writ.

The high value set upon virginity by men, whose esteem of it is based upon a mixture of vanity and voluptuousness, causes many women to guard it in their own persons with a jealousy far beyond their private inclinations and interests. It is their theory that the loss of it would materially impair their chances of marriage. This theory is not supported by the facts. The truth is that the woman who sacrifices her chastity, everything else being equal, stands a much better chance of making a creditable marriage than the woman who remains chaste. This is especially true of women of the lower economic classes. At once they come into contact, hitherto socially difficult and sometimes almost impossible, with men of higher classes, and begin to take on, with the curious facility of their sex, the refinements and tastes and points of view of those classes. The mistress thus gathers charm, and what has begun as a sordid sale of amiability not uncommonly ends with formal marriage. The number of such marriages is enormously greater than appears superficially, for both parties obviously make every effort to conceal the facts. Within the circle of my necessarily limited personal acquaintance I know of scores of men, some of them of wealth and position, who have made such marriages, and who do not seem to regret it. It is an old observation, indeed, that a woman who has previously disposed of her virtue makes a good wife. The common theory is that this is because she is grateful to her husband for rescuing her from social outlawry; the truth is that she makes a good wife because she is a shrewd woman, and has specialized professionally in masculine weakness, and is thus extra-competent at the traditional business of her sex. Such a woman often shows a truly magnificent sagacity. It is very difficult to deceive her logically, and it is impossible to disarm her emotionally. Her revolt against the pruderies and sentimentalities of the world was evidence, to begin with, of her intellectual enterprise and courage, and her success as a rebel is proof of her extraordinary pertinacity, resourcefulness and acumen.

Even the most lowly prostitute is better off, in all worldly ways, than the virtuous woman of her own station in life. She has less work to do, it is less monotonous and dispiriting, she meets a far greater variety of men, and they are of classes distinctly beyond her own. Nor is her occupation hazardous and her ultimate fate tragic. A dozen or more years ago I observed a somewhat amusing proof of this last. At that time certain sentimental busybodies of the American city in which I lived undertook an elaborate inquiry into prostitution therein, and some of them came to me in advance, as a practical journalist, for advice as to how to proceed. I found that all of them shared the common superstition that the professional life of the average prostitute is only five years long, and that she invariably ends in the gutter. They were enormously amazed when they unearthed the truth. This truth was to the effect that the average prostitute of that town ended her career, not in the morgue but at the altar of God, and that those who remained unmarried often continued in practice for ten, fifteen and even twenty years, and then retired on competences. It was established, indeed, that fully eighty per cent. married, and that they almost always got husbands who would have been far beyond their reach had they remained virtuous. For one who married a cabman or petty pugilist there were a dozen who married respectable mechanics, policemen, small shopkeepers and minor officials, and at least two or three who married well-to-do tradesmen and professional men. Among the thousands whose careers were studied there was actually one who ended as the wife of the town's richest banker--that is, one who bagged the best catch in the whole community. This woman had begun as a domestic servant, and abandoned that harsh and dreary life to enter a brothel. Her experiences there polished and civilized her, and in her old age she was a grande dame of great dignity. Much of the sympathy wasted upon women of the ancient profession is grounded upon an error as to their own attitude toward it. An educated woman, hearing that a frail sister in a public stew is expected to be amiable to all sorts of bounders, thinks of how she would shrink from such contacts, and so concludes that the actual prostitute suffers acutely. What she overlooks is that these men, however gross and repulsive they may appear to her, are measurably superior to men of the prostitute's own class--say her father and brothers--and that communion with them, far from being disgusting, is often rather romantic. I well remember observing, during my collaboration with the vice-crusaders aforesaid, the delight of a lady of joy who had attracted the notice of a police lieutenant; she was intensely pleased by the idea of having a client of such haughty manners, such brilliant dress, and what seemed to her to be so dignified a profession. It is always forgotten that this weakness is not confined to prostitutes, but runs through the whole female sex. The woman who could not imagine an illicit affair with a wealthy soap manufacturer or even with a lawyer finds it quite easy to imagine herself succumbing to an ambassador or a duke. There are very few exceptions to this rule. In the most reserved of modern societies the women who represent their highest flower are notoriously complaisant to royalty. And royal women, to complete the circuit, not infrequently yield to actors and musicians, i.e., to men radiating a glamour not encountered even in princes.

Henry L. Mencken

Get over yourself. Your perspective is just as skewed by the people you deal with as everyone else.

Maybe so but, mine is based on experience and not the classroom or the main stream media.

I think most people would agree with you that it's immoral.

Academic discussion here, but curious about something. Have you ever gotten a professional massage?

A person, touches your body with their body, for your pleasure in exchange for money.

What makes prostitution different? Why is touching you here for money different/immoral than touching you there for money?

there is actual medical value to massage. An athlete gets a session after a workout not to get off, but because it aids in the muscle repair.

And yes, there is medical value to getting off, but masturbation delivers it as well.

>How would you prevent sex slavery, and ensure that prostitute are only voluntary
>participants?

Prostitutes are primarily voluntary participants in small towns in Nevada, where it is legal. There is also less instances of HIV in Nevada prostitutes than in the general population, since regular checkups are a requirement of working as a prostitute there. (Zero instances of HIV since 1986 in working prostitutes.)

Interestingly, prostitution IS illegal in Las Vegas, and it is one of the top 20 cities in the US for both child prostitution and human trafficking.

So in little cities, legalization doesn't seem to have big problems. In big cities like Vegas or San Francisco, that is not the case.

Everyone jumped on your citation as proof that legalization is the answer, but that's a bit simplistic. Even with legalized prostitution, there is still a problem where Asian (and other) women will want to enter into what is at best an indentured servitude contract in order to get smuggled to America. Legalizing the sex part doesn't legalize that part.