piisfish

massive shooting at Batman projection...

I don't think a typical criminal puts much thought into a crime.
They seem to act more out of desperation and/or immediate need.

Which is why, if they're going to commit a crime, it makes it more likely they'll pick up a gun than a knife. It makes it easier.

The criminal can stand at range (even if that's only a couple of feet) and not risk getting their weapon taken away, or getting kicked in the face, or struck by a baseball bat.

Simple game theory really. Not that the criminals chart it out, but it's fairly obvious.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't think a typical criminal puts much thought into a crime.
They seem to act more out of desperation and/or immediate need.

Which is why, if they're going to commit a crime, it makes it more likely they'll pick up a gun than a knife. It makes it easier.

The criminal can stand at range (even if that's only a couple of feet) and not risk getting their weapon taken away, or getting kicked in the face, or struck by a baseball bat.

Simple game theory really. Not that the criminals chart it out, but it's fairly obvious.

You will never implement enough gun control to keep the average criminal from putting their hands on a gun for the average crime. And this was not the average crime. It's already been proven that he took time to plan this. You all are comparing apples to oranges now.

Be that as it may, sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "lalalalala, I can't hear you! I can't hear you!" helps nothing.

Who is doing that?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I think we have let the anit gun control group frame this debate in a way that does not really look at the true issue.

The following quote comes to mind

The man who would choose security over freedom deserves neither.
Thomas Jefferson

Look at what has happened to this country since 911.

This is not really a gun issue or a gun ownership issue

This is just another example of liberal groups trying to find legal solutions to social problems

Is does not work
Abraham Lincoln

Be that as it may, sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "lalalalala, I can't hear you! I can't hear you!" helps nothing.

Who is doing that?

Every person who is currently saying, "this is not the right time for a conversation about gun control."

The Daily Show did a pretty good recap of folks repeatedly saying the phrase on their July 23 show. I'm not in a place where I can link that right now, but you should check it out.
quade -

Who is doing that?

Every person who is currently saying, "this is not the right time for a conversation about gun control."

The Daily Show did a pretty good recap of folks repeatedly saying the phrase on their July 23 show. I'm not in a place where I can link that right now, but you should check it out.

Nobody here is saying that

I have asked over and over for a solution (if there really can be one) that does not stomp on a right

I will ask you?

I think you will agree that there is no way we can get to some level of security where no one will get hurt

We can try and minimize them to a point. To move further one must then give up freedoms

Where is the line? Who decides?

I have no problems supporting something that does not infringe on a right

I would have the exact same stance on the first

Oh

And I have not idea what the Daily Show is
Abraham Lincoln

I'm not going to say that makes you culturally unaware or out of touch with most people, because I can see where some folks might not, but the vast majority of political junkies and certainly every political figure who has even a smidgen of sense certainly does.

You may want to google it.
quade -

This is just another example of liberal groups trying to find legal solutions to social problems

Is does not work

Fair enough, then what does work? Or does nothing work to address social problems?

Social solutions work

Supporting the family

Supporting individuals by NOT just handing out gov benefits for good reason
A working person in a family has more self-esteem than free loaders who are taught that the rich stole from them and they are owed something

Tuning control of the schools back to communities and getting rid of Departments like the department of education who think they know best what is to be taught

Get social training out of the schools.
They should not be handing out condoms and teaching shit like Hillarys "It takes a village"

That is BS. It takes a family and a community (btw. her village is government. My community is the small town, family and friends)

Kill tons of gov regulation that sends manufacturing and other business out of the country

Those GOOD jobs are gone in today’s regulatory climate

Just a start

But in the end, killing freedoms for false security does nothing for security and give the gov even more control over our lives
Abraham Lincoln

Who is doing that?

Really. You think that the emotional aftermath of this tragedy, where people are making knee-jerk reactions about causes is a good time to discuss restricting the rghts of law abiding gun owners?

Do you think the TSA taking away nail clippers and tie tacks in the shape of miniature guns was a reasonable reaction?
Or making everyone remove their shoes?

When emotions are raw, and the rhetoric runs high is when stupid restrictions are placed.

Especially the rhetoric running high. It's when the anti's pull out the most blatant lies to promote their agenda. Remember the VT shooting? Where Cho got his guns "off the internet"?
And everyone wanted to ban the sale of guns and related equipment over the internet?
And it then turned out that while Cho had found the guns on the internet, he had to go through a FFL dealer and go through all the paperwork and background checks to get them.

Similar things are being said about ammo sales over the internet. Since this looney got a bunch of ammo that way.
Which completely ignores the fact that I can walk into Cabela's and but a large quantity of ammo (if I can afford it) with just an age check.

223 is for sale for $400/thousand.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Hunting/Ammo%7C/pc/105591780/c/105649380/sc/105650280/Remington-UMC-223-Bulk-Rifle-Ammunition-with-Dry-Storage-Box/706945.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbargain-cave-hunting-ammo%2F_%2FN-1102657%2B4294759021%2FNe-4294759021%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat105650280
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm not going to say that makes you culturally unaware or out of touch with most people, because I can see where some folks might not, but the vast majority of political junkies and certainly every political figure who has even a smidgen of sense certainly does.

Ah yes

Strutting superiority again

I read

I watch very little TV

It is waste of time and kills critical thinking IMO
Abraham Lincoln

It's not superiority to be aware of cultural touchstones.

It certainly is uninformed if you choose to ignore them.

So, in your world, one needs to watch a political comedy show to have an awareness of "cultural touchstones"?

If too many people think this to be the case I can understand why this country is headed down the shitter and we have as many still voting for Obama that we do

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=7&gs_id=p&xhr=t&q=The+Daily+Show&pf=p&safe=active&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=The+Dai&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=68ae98b817855936&biw=1680&bih=885
Edited to add:
Maybe it is more of a hero worship that we see of TV stars
Abraham Lincoln

You may not realize this, but it's actually one of the best political interview shows available on any network. This isn't simply my opinion either. It's held up as credible by the right, left and center.

Seriously, you really ought to watch it every now and then.
quade -

You may not realize this, but it's actually one of the best political interview shows available on any network. This isn't simply my opinion either. It's held up as credible by the right, left and center.

Seriously, you really ought to watch it every now and then.

No thanks

I think for myself

I dont need a comedian telling me what I should think
Abraham Lincoln

I think for myself

Weird then how often your talking points match word for word so many others on day and date then.

Hmmm...

Great minds think alike
Abraham Lincoln

You think that the emotional aftermath of this tragedy, where people are making knee-jerk reactions about causes is an opportune time to discuss restricting the rights of law abiding gun owners.

changed two words and the punctuation - amazing how easily a position is uncovered

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think for myself

Weird then how often your talking points match word for word so many others on day and date then.

Hmmm...

Great Simple minds think alike

FIFY

My stalker is back:D
Abraham Lincoln

You think that the emotional aftermath of this tragedy, where people are making knee-jerk reactions about causes is a good time to discuss restricting the rghts of law abiding gun owners?

Holmes was a law abiding gun owner right up until the moment he wasn't. Should he have had access to the guns he used to kill or injure 70 people?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I think for myself

Hmmm...

Great Simple minds think alike

FIFY

My stalker is back:D

No stalker here.

You're the one posting the most BS ever :S - and to call it *great* is a defamation of thinking minds.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

You think that the emotional aftermath of this tragedy, where people are making knee-jerk reactions about causes is an opportune time to discuss restricting the rights of law abiding gun owners.

changed two words and the punctuation - amazing how easily a position is uncovered

Pretty much.

The anti's tend to focus on emotions, not facts.

Usually because the facts aren't on their side.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo