JohnRich

Olympic swimmers in hot water after gun photo

News:
Australian Olympic swimmers in hot water after gun photo

"Two Australian Olympic swimmers who posted pictures on Facebook of themselves brandishing weapons have been ordered to take them down by the country's swimming authorities.

"The image, taken in a gun shop in Santa Clara, California, showed Nick D'Arcy with two pistols standing next to Kenrick Monk who is holding two shotguns across his chest, according to a Friday report in Australia's Herald Sun. The swimmers were training in the U.S. ahead of the Olympic Games in London later this year.

"Swimming Australia said in a statement that it does not condone "the posting of inappropriate content on Facebook, Twitter or any social media platform.""
Full story: CNN

It will be interesting to see where fb takes us in 5 yrs. Will things that are not appropriate now become appropriate? Will we write on our employers wall won't be in today due to illness? Or even write I quit effectively immediately? And will employer fire us by writing on our wall? Guess will wait and see.

It's not the guns that's the issue. The picture looks like a couple kids that just don't know how to handle firearms in the first place.

Perhaps the organization is just against "the posting of inappropriate content on Facebook, Twitter or any social media platform" when the members look like dumbasses.

:ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's not the guns that's the issue. The picture looks like a couple kids that just don't know how to handle firearms in the first place.

Yep. That perhaps could be an average gun owner; frightening :S - and a real danger to everybody.

:|

Says the casual European hunter that has ZERO clue about what an 'average gun owner' in the US really is.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yep. That perhaps could be an average gun owner; frightening :S - and a real danger to everybody.

Says the casual European hunter that has ZERO clue about what an 'average gun owner' in the US really is.

I don't know, Mike. Clearly dumbasses are everywhere, and these kids are clearly 'posing' like some hollywood stereotype of a gangsta - you take any pair of highschool or college age boys and I offer to take a picture of them with a couple handguns, I bet 90% would forget to check the chamber and mag, and they would pose just like these idiots. You want to really place blame for bad image and poor education - put it on the arts' portrayals and on the LACK of responsible examples and teaching nowadays.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of insulated city kids and adults that have no clue, that then get their guns. Me? I was raised with guns. It really is different. Even teaching my daughter correctly, she just doesn't have the culture that I did and I suspect the next generation after won't get the info and training that she did no matter how well I do it with her.

the anti-gunners are completely wrong - but their actions are self fulfilling in the long run [:/] - they literally are creating a class of people that are too ignorant and careless to have any business using or owning firearms

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't know, Mike. Clearly dumbasses are everywhere, and these kids are clearly 'posing' like some hollywood stereotype of a gangsta - you take any pair of highschool or college age boys and I offer to take a picture of them with a couple handguns, I bet 90% would forget to check the chamber and mag, and they would pose just like these idiots. You want to really place blame for bad image and poor education - put it on the arts' portrayals and on the LACK of responsible examples and teaching nowadays.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of insulated city kids and adults that have no clue, that then get their guns. Me? I was raised with guns. It really is different. Even teaching my daughter correctly, she just doesn't have the culture that I did and I suspect the next generation after won't get the info and training that she did no matter how well I do it with her.

the anti-gunners are completely wrong - but their actions are self fulfilling in the long run [:/] - they literally are creating a class of people that are too ignorant and careless to have any business using or owning firearms

I don't disagree with the statement about dumb kids that don't know how to handle guns, but with the statement that it's consistent with 'an average gun owner'.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And says she bought a gun while in florida a while back:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

this has become a media beat up because of the two characters involved are bad boys of the sport

One swimmer king hit a fellow competitor causing facial injuries, declares himself bankrupt so he doesnt have to bak 135k damagers.

The other lied to police claiming a hit and run and in reality fell of his skateboard ruling him out of some swimming comp (young stupidity).

Turns out the Australian swimming team has been taking to a range in Canberra for a bonding team.

Media beatup

this has become a media beat up because of the two characters involved are bad boys of the sport

One swimmer king hit a fellow competitor causing facial injuries, declares himself bankrupt so he doesnt have to bak 135k damagers.

The other lied to police claiming a hit and run and in reality fell of his skateboard ruling him out of some swimming comp (young stupidity).

Turns out the Australian swimming team has been taking to a range in Canberra for a bonding team.

Media beatup

A surprise huh
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm wondering why they need to come here to train? No Olympic size pools in Australia? No Olympic capable coaching? Or just wanted to see California on the booster's dime?

Wierd.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I'm wondering why they need to come here to train? No Olympic size pools in Australia? No Olympic capable coaching? Or just wanted to see California on the booster's dime?

Wierd.

Yeah, crazy huh? It would be like Mabuge training at Perris.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

it's winter there.
it's a long damn flight from SYD to LDN.
minor reasons.

Somebody please inform Australia of all the shooting sports in the Olympics, please.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Yep. That perhaps could be an average gun owner; frightening Crazy :S - and a real danger to everybody.

Sorry, you are wrong. Australia has strict gun laws like you like, these are Australians.

Australians in the US. :| Posing with weapons for the camera .....in the US.

Do you think they were bringing along these *tools*? :ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Australians in the US. Unimpressed Posing with weapons for the camera .....in the US.

Do you think they were bringing along these *tools*?

Yes, people who are forbidden to posses something in their own country are acting in a way that you disapprove of in a place where they can hold something they know nothing about.

1. They are acting silly, but you don't know if they are being dangerous since you have no idea what precautions have been taken... Of course, that didn't stop you from making a comment.

2. They are AUSTRALIANS. So claiming they are "an average gun owner" is pure crap.... They are not allowed to own a gun in Australia and unless they are residents they can't own one in the US either.

So, the facts do not fit with your comments.

Australians in the US. Unimpressed Posing with weapons for the camera .....in the US.

Do you think they were bringing along these *tools*?

Yes, people who are forbidden to posses something in their own country are acting in a way that you disapprove of in a place where they can hold something they know nothing about.

1. They are acting silly, but you don't know if they are being dangerous since you have no idea what precautions have been taken... Of course, that didn't stop you from making a comment.

2. They are AUSTRALIANS. So claiming they are "an average gun owner" is pure crap.... They are not allowed to own a gun in Australia and unless they are residents they can't own one in the US either.

So, the facts do not fit with your comments.

Your entire post is simply bullshit.

They are Australians, enjoying their free time in the US and posing with weapons available in the US.

You're just looking for lame excuses.

Aliens in the US, holding weapons in their hands - how nice is that?? :P How easy is that? How do you know if they *know nothing about it*?

How do you know how much the next idiot next door *knows* about weapons??? Is he just posing or do you know *(but you don't know) if they are being dangerous since you have no idea what precautions have been taken*???...

Again, BS :S

dudeist skydiver # 3105

it's winter there.
it's a long damn flight from SYD to LDN.
minor reasons.

OK, so no indoor pools in Australia?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

They where competing in the Santa Clara International, like most national teams they travel the world to compete.

Now that makes sense. Didn't see in the original info that they were competing. They're back on my good side again.

Somebody please inform Australia of all the shooting sports in the Olympics, please.

But I'm sure it would be inappropriate for the shooting team to post pictures of themselves swimming. :P

shows too much skin.

As much as you are joking with this, I think it is important to keep in mind that the Olympic brand is one of the most fiercely protected brands out there.