SpeedRacer

Most Christians accept evolution

Dude, you went on a little rant (directed at me) about some perceived condemnation that never actually happened, and I politely called you on it. If you want to keep talking nonsense about it and trying to insult me, that's fine, but I'm not interested.

Sheesh... :S

Forget it, he doesn't know what he's doing.

I think when he reads his own posts he's like the wittier, more well reasoned brother of Andy908. What everyone else reads is, well, y'know.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>If someone claims on this forum that the Christian God exists why do thing it's
>wrong to challenge that claim?

No problem.

But when atheists challenge Christians by comparing their beliefs to the Tooth Fairy, expect Christians to challenge atheists by questioning whether they have any morals at all.

In other words, a standard Speaker's Corner argument.

Questioning the opponents morals rather then sticking to the argument is just a sign that the Christian has lost the argument.

No problem there.

One note:
"...If someone says they think all this religious stuff is horseshit, ..."

That would be fine too. No harm in having your own opinion about anything at all.

The chaos comes from those who would tell you that what YOU think/believe is all horseshit

What is the difference?

The sad part it that sometimes, for some people, the task to show others how 'wrong' they are dictates their life.

Maybe you're making a pretty good go at it in this thread.

You don't understand the difference between food for thought and telling people they are wrong.

Which one is "Are we still off on that stupidity?"?

Nothing wrong with that all when the challenge is reasonable. Nobody said challenging a claim was wrong.

Do you think asking for physical proof of the existence of a God of any sort is reasonable?

You just did.

Yes asking for physical proof is reasonable. The Bible has many stories where God provided physical proof.

And that in and of itself is a good thing....up to point of where one would be trying to convert them. Then it would be as bad as a religious nutter yelling at you that you are going to burn in hell if you don't believe.

I have never tried to convert anyone to anything.

>Questioning the opponents morals rather then sticking to the argument is just a sign
>that the Christian has lost the argument.

And comparing a religious belief to the Tooth Fairy is an emotional argument that indicates the atheist has nothing left other than to try to piss the other guy off. And both are par for the course here.

Nothing wrong with that all when the challenge is reasonable. Nobody said challenging a claim was wrong.

Do you think asking for physical proof of the existence of a God of any sort is reasonable?

You just did.

I don't know where you got that but it's typical of you.

Yes asking for physical proof is reasonable.

OK....you don't get it. Thanks for verifying.

The Bible has many stories where God provided physical proof.

Moving the goal posts are we?

And that in and of itself is a good thing....up to point of where one would be trying to convert them. Then it would be as bad as a religious nutter yelling at you that you are going to burn in hell if you don't believe.

I have never tried to convert anyone to anything.

OK. Did anyone say you did? Why do you feel the need to deny it if nobody said you did?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The sad part it that sometimes, for some people, the task to show others how 'wrong' they are dictates their life.

Maybe you're making a pretty good go at it in this thread. :P

You don't understand the difference between food for thought and telling people they are wrong. Maybe you don't understand the technique of offering optional ways of thinking.

But, thanks for playing.

Even the college kid is putting out food for thought in some of his posts.

If someone says "I believe ," that's fine. It is likely true that they believe .

If, however, they say " is the unvarnished truth," that is another thing altogether. The issue is not whether or not they believe (their claim may well be flamebait), but whether itself is true.

If I lived in Kansas and claimed the belief that the earth was flat, that could be justified by the state being topographically flatter than a pancake, and one could well say "as far as you could tell, that makes sense."

If, however, I stated as a fact that "the earth is flat," that could be subject to discussion. There are some who opine that the earth is neither flat, nor is it the center of the universe, and we could not burn them all at the stake before their heresy took hold.

In any event, I will grant someone the right to adhere to a set of beliefs - hey, whatever gets you through the night. Believing something because it makes you happy makes sense, regardless of the veracity of the system of belief.

The moment the line is crossed whereby someone claims that, because they believe something, it is true, I will likely take exception.

I object to isms that include killing those who do not come into the fold and have an established track record of doing just that (Catholicism and Islam come to mind), and I am baffled by adherents of faiths whose fundamental claims are entirely verifiably false (Mormon, Scientology), but will happily let it go if they have the good taste to keep it to themselves.

Religious convictions are like genitals. You have every right to have them, but it is appallingly bad manners to expose them in public.

BSBD,

Winsor

>Questioning the opponents morals rather then sticking to the argument is just a sign

And comparing a religious belief to the Tooth Fairy is an emotional argument that indicates the atheist has nothing left other than to try to piss the other guy off. And both are par for the course here.

You keep making fun of the Tooth Fairy. Just because I only got dimes does not warrant your disrespect.

At least that is a bit of mythology that pays!

Both the tooth fairy and the Christian god have the same amount of evidence to support them, so it's a fair comparison.

Although the tooth fairly leaves more physical evidence of their existence.

Some kids might see money under the pillow as evidence of the tooth fairy's existence, while others might wonder where the money really came from. And still others might know where the money came from.

Some people see our very existence as evidence of God (or some sort of divine creator), while others are not satisfied with that explanation.

It completely destroys the credibility of religion when believers cannot answer simple questions such as:

Why do you believe in your religion?

Do you care whether or not it's true?

If you ask someone why they believe in evolution, they will likely be able to answer the question.

Easy, if logic dictates that there is meaning to the cosmos then one will search for it by any means available. The five senses are a good starting point but there is so much more to reality than just physical impressions.

Reality based on truth is essential. Nothing else with stand the test of time.

Easy, if logic dictates that there is meaning to the cosmos then one will search for it by any means available.

Logic doesn't dictate that there is any meaning to the cosmos.

The five senses are a good starting point but there is so much more to reality than just physical impressions.

The human five senses are certainly not enough, that is why we have built machines to detect what our sense can't.

That is why science was developed to give us the best possible way to determine the truth about the world around us. This has worked much better then anything else and is why we have the technology we have today.

I was always told the christian god pays ten fold.

I never witnessed proof of that though.

If you are looking for cash like the Tooth Fairy, you probably never will either.
:P

Science was developed to give us the best possible way to determine the truth about the world around us. This has worked much better then anything else and is why we have the technology we have today.

Nah....it gives us many better ways to determine the truth about the physical world around us than what we have using just our 5 senses.

That's all it can do at this point in time.

The scientific method gave a better, systematic way of doing that. And we are getting better and better at it as we go along. Who knows what the future may bring?

We may even find the "God" particle!

Science was developed to give us the best possible way to determine the truth about the world around us. This has worked much better then anything else and is why we have the technology we have today.

Nah....it gives us many better ways to determine the truth about the physical world around us than what we have using just our 5 senses.

That's all it can do at this point in time.

The scientific method gave a better, systematic way of doing that. And we are getting better and better at it as we go along. Who knows what the future may bring?

We may even find the "God" particle!

There is no reason to believe there is any metaphysical or paranormal anything.

That is why science was developed to give us the best possible way to determine the truth about the world around us. This has worked much better then anything else and is why we have the technology we have today.

Science is great, I am all for it. Still it is limited to the five avenues of perception. We are much more than science can explain. Give me the scientific explanation for meaning. Searching for meaning is one of lifes most rewarding pursuits.

Science is great, I am all for it. Still it is limited to the five avenues of perception. We are much more than science can explain. Give me the scientific explanation for meaning. Searching for meaning is one of lifes most rewarding pursuits.

You are talking about philosophy which is a human construct and only exists in minds of humans.

Still squirming, eh?
There is no reason for you because YOU don't have a reason. Some do. You've been give an example. You fail to realize that. Have at it, eh?

It's been fun watching you guys scream and holler for something you can't have. Kinda reminds me of a kid screaming for candy that his Mamma can't give him because there's none in the house.

Funny part is that you think that's legitimate and the the kid is justified in screaming and hollerin' all the time knowing full well that there is no candy even if Mamma wanted to give him some.

Keep asking though....you guys can keep yourselves entertained with it.

G'day.

Yes. I agree that some people do not allow for the 'logic' of others.

Yes. I agree that some people do not allow for the beliefs of others.

Yes. I agree that some people do not allow for the political views of others.

...ad infinitum.

Is that why they keep knocking on my door and offering me books, pamphlets, and reasons to follow Jebuz?

Still squirming, eh?
There is no reason for you because YOU don't have a reason. Some do.

So, to you, God is Schrödinger's cat? He either exists or doesn't exist depending on your point of view?

Hmmm, I don't think I can buy that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Still squirming, eh?
There is no reason for you because YOU don't have a reason. Some do. You've been give an example. You fail to realize that. Have at it, eh?

It's been fun watching you guys scream and holler for something you can't have. Kinda reminds me of a kid screaming for candy that his Mamma can't give him because there's none in the house.

Funny part is that you think that's legitimate and the the kid is justified in screaming and hollerin' all the time knowing full well that there is no candy even if Mamma wanted to give him some.

Keep asking though....you guys can keep yourselves entertained with it.

G'day.

So that's more 'food for thought' is it?

Nice to see you keeping up the dialogue without disparaging anyone.

If evolution is a fact, I want to know why it stopped?

Sorry if this is a repost!

Americans' heads are getting bigger - in just 150 years, the volume of the average skull has grown by the size of a tennis ball

Survey of 1500 skulls from mid-1800s to 1980s
Volume of skulls has risen by size of tennis ball
Faces are becoming longer and narrower
Are Americans evolving? Or are lifestyle factors to blame
Study of white remains as largest sample size available

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2152672/Americans-heads-getting-bigger--skulls-narrower-talller-too.html