SpeedRacer

Most Christians accept evolution

As long as I'm the only one I'm interested in convincing, why should it matter to you whether my evidence passes your muster?

How about if I disagree whether a particular woman is beautiful?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>That isn't a claim of the existence of something.

Of course it is. It is the claim of the existence of a beautiful woman. You may disagree; that's fine. Doesn't invalidate someone else's opinion.

I don't know what you read. But she wasn't claiming the existence of the woman. Just a conflict of opinion as to the beauty of said woman.

Even if it were a claim of existence of said woman. It would not be unreasonable considering it's easy to prove that women exist.

How about if I disagree whether a particular woman is beautiful?

Can you point me to what was said that condemned the entire AA program?

Sure.

Post #142 comes to mind.
Specifically:
"Anyhow, there seem to be many in the recovery industry that would rather have someone die in addiction as a bad example than to get sober without religion."

YMMV
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Sure.

Post #142 comes to mind.
Specifically:
"Anyhow, there seem to be many in the recovery industry that would rather have someone die in addiction as a bad example than to get sober without religion."

Interesting that you see that as condemning the entire AA program. Seems a bit of a stretch to me. (And why did you reply to me with your rant when I'm not even the one who wrote that?)

And yet you didn't have any problem with Ron condemning all skydivers (by your logic anyway): "It seems that most skydivers would rather see a brother die in addiction than get sober through Christianity."

Why are you asking questions when you have already made up your mind as to what the answer is?

I'll answer your 2 questions:

because it makes ME feel good.

I could care less if it is true.

THIS^
Yet so many get their panties in a wad over it.
These are the busybodies that would have you live your life according to their biases.

Ahhh, such is life.

Interesting that you see that as condemning the entire AA program.

Yep. And I didn't even bring up other threads.

And why did you reply to me with your rant when I'm not even the one who wrote that?

No rant. No need to have taken it as such. You may have forgotten the string that got our dialog started. See your post #117 and my reply to that in Post #139.

And yet you didn't have any problem with Ron condemning all skydivers (by your logic anyway): "It seems that most skydivers would rather see a brother die in addiction than get sober through Christianity."

Maybe your logic doesn't allow for metaphor, simile and such?
If you'll read back, you'll see that Ron's reply was to someone else twisting his words radically. If you are concerned with the word 'skydiver', then return to your Post #137 where you changed it.

Yep. Our dialog is pretty much self-explanatory.
You either agree or you don't.

Sure.

Post #142 comes to mind.
Specifically:

YMMV

Particularly bad guess.

AA is as effective for a skeptic as it is for a True Believer (tm), and if you think I said anything to the contrary, you are entirely mistaken.

What I said was in no way a reflection of AA or any other 12 step program. I made reference to some people who make their livelihood from addiction (AA is all-volunteer below the GSA level), who seem to consider it a threat if anything works other than exactly what they prescribe. Some are sicker than others.

AA has precious few rules, and a perusal of groups will show all kinds - some seem like a good idea at the time then drop off the scope, while others don't sound all that enlightened, but get results and stick around.

If you read the Big Book, therein lies the tale of one of the founders who got sober, and died sober, as a skeptic. It was he that detuned the overwhelmingly religious tone of early AA, as inherited from the Oxford Group, and introduced the "Higher Power" concept.

By the same token that a newcomer is not encouraged to give up smoking for a while ("first things first"), they should use whatever is their system of belief as a basis ("to thine own self be true"). Whether or not their system of beliefs have merit is irrelevant to the task at hand.

If someone says they think all this religious stuff is horseshit, the response may well be fine, it's a program of honesty. You won't get far if you pretend to believe something you are convinced is wrong.

One fundamental concept is that faith != belief. I may or may not believe that everything will work out for "the best" (whatever that might be), but I may still have faith that I can make the best of whatever comes my way.

Another key concept is that spirituality != religion. One may be very much at peace with the world and in tune with their surroundings without accepting any religious dogma.

I only know what I read in the papers, but you sure have me all wrong on what I do or do not condemn.

BSBD,

Winsor

Why are you asking questions when you have already made up your mind as to what the answer is?

I'll answer your 2 questions:

because it makes ME feel good.

I could care less if it is true.

THIS^
Yet so many get their panties in a wad over it.
These are the busybodies that would have you live your life according to their biases.

Ahhh, such is life.

Thanks for being honest.

So you base your entire belief system around something just because it makes you feel good and for no other reason?

Don't you think something as weighty as the eternal fate of your soul deserves a bit more consideration than that?

Also, why wouldn't you care whether something so important is actually true or not?

If you don't even care whether it's true or not, then do you really believe it in the first place or are you just pretending because it makes you feel good?

Why do you feel these types of questions are an attack of some kind? They're perfectly legitimate questions.

From everything I've heard about AA it does sound a bit religion obsessed and cult like. There are other programs available for people who don't feel the need to surrender to a higher power is a prerequisite for addiction recovery.

Good things can come from religion, but I would argue they are vastly outweighed by the bad things.

Maybe your logic doesn't allow for metaphor, simile and such?

Umm, yeah.... I think my logic just doesn't allow for your logic (in this particular dialogue anyway). But that's OK; I'll let it go.

Yes. I agree that some people do not allow for the 'logic' of others.

Yes. I agree that some people do not allow for the beliefs of others.

Yes. I agree that some people do not allow for the political views of others.

...ad infinitum.

The sad part it that sometimes, for some people, the task to show others how 'wrong' they are dictates their life.

I question the existence of a soul.

What evidence is there for it?? I think it's just something people made up.

I do too...but for people that believe so much rides on this decision, they seem to be making it quite lightly and with nothing more than a 'feeling' to guide them.

I would posit that 'feeling' is nothing more than childhood indoctrination.

Sure.

Post #142 comes to mind.
Specifically:

YMMV

Particularly bad guess.

AA is as effective for a skeptic as it is for a True Believer (tm), and if you think I said anything to the contrary, you are entirely mistaken.

What I said was in no way a reflection of AA or any other 12 step program. I made reference to some people who make their livelihood from addiction (AA is all-volunteer below the GSA level), who seem to consider it a threat if anything works other than exactly what they prescribe. Some are sicker than others.

AA has precious few rules, and a perusal of groups will show all kinds - some seem like a good idea at the time then drop off the scope, while others don't sound all that enlightened, but get results and stick around.

If you read the Big Book, therein lies the tale of one of the founders who got sober, and died sober, as a skeptic. It was he that detuned the overwhelmingly religious tone of early AA, as inherited from the Oxford Group, and introduced the "Higher Power" concept.

By the same token that a newcomer is not encouraged to give up smoking for a while ("first things first"), they should use whatever is their system of belief as a basis ("to thine own self be true"). Whether or not their system of beliefs have merit is irrelevant to the task at hand.

If someone says they think all this religious stuff is horseshit, the response may well be fine, it's a program of honesty. You won't get far if you pretend to believe something you are convinced is wrong.

One fundamental concept is that faith != belief. I may or may not believe that everything will work out for "the best" (whatever that might be), but I may still have faith that I can make the best of whatever comes my way.

Another key concept is that spirituality != religion. One may be very much at peace with the world and in tune with their surroundings without accepting any religious dogma.

I only know what I read in the papers, but you sure have me all wrong on what I do or do not condemn.

BSBD,

Winsor

Damn, Windsor. A well-thought out post. Congrats. I knew you had it in you.

If I misinterpreted your statement in post #142, I sincerely apologize.

You'll not hear me argue about your statement on sprituality.

One note:
"...If someone says they think all this religious stuff is horseshit, ..."

That would be fine too. No harm in having your own opinion about anything at all.

The chaos comes from those who would tell you that what YOU think/believe is all horseshit (there are many posts to that effect)...and that's NOT fine....from either side of the issue. .

The chaos comes from those who would tell you that what YOU think/believe is all horseshit...and that's NOT fine....from either side of the issue.

Why is it not ok to challenge what others believe? If someone claims on this forum that the Christian God exists why do thing it's wrong to challenge that claim? It in no way stops them from believing what they want to believe. It might get them to think a little more about what they believe. How is that wrong?

The sad part it that sometimes, for some people, the task to show others how 'wrong' they are dictates their life.

Maybe you're making a pretty good go at it in this thread. :P

You don't understand the difference between food for thought and telling people they are wrong. Maybe you don't understand the technique of offering optional ways of thinking.

But, thanks for playing.

Even the college kid is putting out food for thought in some of his posts.

Maybe you're making a pretty good go at it in this thread. :P

You don't understand the difference between food for thought and telling people they are wrong. Maybe you don't understand the technique of offering optional ways of thinking.

But, thanks for playing.

Even the college kid is putting out food for thought in some of his posts.

Why did you add 'Maybe' to the quote?? I see that as being dishonest.

Dude, you went on a little rant (directed at me) about some perceived condemnation that never actually happened, and I politely called you on it. If you want to keep talking nonsense about it and trying to insult me, that's fine, but I'm not interested.

Sheesh... :S

>If someone claims on this forum that the Christian God exists why do thing it's
>wrong to challenge that claim?

No problem.

But when atheists challenge Christians by comparing their beliefs to the Tooth Fairy, expect Christians to challenge atheists by questioning whether they have any morals at all.

In other words, a standard Speaker's Corner argument.

Why is it not ok to challenge what others believe? If someone claims on this forum that the Christian God exists why do thing it's wrong to challenge that claim?

Nothing wrong with that all when the challenge is reasonable. Nobody said challenging a claim was wrong.

Do you think asking for physical proof of the existence of a God of any sort is reasonable?

It might get them to think a little more about what they believe.

And that in and of itself is a good thing....up to point of where one would be trying to convert them. Then it would be as bad as a religious nutter yelling at you that you are going to burn in hell if you don't believe.

Dude, you went on a little rant (directed at me) about some perceived condemnation that never actually happened, and I politely called you on it. If you want to keep talking nonsense about it and trying to insult me, that's fine, but I'm not interested.

Sheesh... :S

'Scuse me madam. I did NOT rant at you. If you will re-read post #139, you will see that the response I made to you was agreeing with your thoughts about "...And, while many Christians (or rather, people in general) are condescending about their beliefs...." as you posted in 117.

Your call, politely or not, was off base in that respect of thinking it was a rant at you. Period.

As far as "never actually happened" I apologized to Winsor for my misunderstanding. That should be good enough for you, right?

Now...can we get back to the topic of the thread?

Oh yeah...it was evolution, wasn't it?