SpeedRacer

Most Christians accept evolution

If people could wake up to the fact that this is the only life we have, maybe people would be a little more decent to each other and value life a little more.

The opposite may also occur. People my do/act however they want in any given moment, and ultimately treat others like shit for the same reason. Just a thought. And purely for the sake of argument, I would think devout Buddhists would tend to treat others decently while also believing this isn't the only life we have.

Zach

Religious morality is derived from human morality. It's not the other way around, but thanks for playing.

Sorry man, I didn't know it was a contest. I thought it was a discussion. That said, there are plenty of non-religious people who I would wager you would consider immoral.

Zach

Edited to remove unnecessary snarkyness. I don't want to be a part of that club.

If people could wake up to the fact that this is the only life we have, maybe people would be a little more decent to each other and value life a little more.

The opposite may also occur. People my do/act however they want in any given moment, and ultimately treat others like shit for the same reason. Just a thought. And purely for the sake of argument, I would think devout Buddhists would tend to treat others decently while also believing this isn't the only life we have.

Zach

Religious morality is derived from human morality. It's not the other way around, but thanks for playing.

Sorry man, I didn't know it was a contest. I thought it was a discussion. That said, there are plenty of non-religious people who I would wager you would consider immoral.

Zach

Edited to remove unnecessary snarkyness. I don't want to be a part of that club.

Sorry about my tone, but morality has nothing whatsoever to do with religion. There are immoral people on both sides, but I bet there are more in the religious column.

Sorry about my tone, but morality has nothing whatsoever to do with religion. There are immoral people on both sides, but I bet there are more in the religious column.

As the study released this past week shows, Atheists and Agnostics are on average kinder people than religious ones.

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=atheists+kinder+than+religious&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Ok so you claim Christianity has a special form of faith?? really! What do you have to back that up with?? Faith is belief with out evidence.

Second birth, like a small child?? Really what do you have to back up this claim??

Transformed?? Really! What do you have to back up this claim??

Let me guess. NOTHING

And such is the bane of your existence. Physical phenomena is proven by outward physical results. Spiritual phenomena is proven by the inner transformation of the soul.

Another thing that I find curious, is the statement that it's "the bane of my existence". I haven't felt any ill effects of my disbelief in anything supernatural. Have you?

I totally question that "bane of my existence" statement. How would he know this? As far as I know we have never met in person.

He probably doesn't even know what he means himself. When you're brainwashed for your entire life you don't even know what your slogans and mottos mean anymore.

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia, after all. Everyone knows that.

He probably just meant that you're going to burn in hell for all eternity. It's cool for them to threaten us with eternal torture, but you can't question them. That's just rude.

Physical phenomena is proven by outward physical results. Spiritual phenomena is proven by the inner transformation of the soul.

I don't think this word "proven" means what you think it does. Invisible, immeasurable, unrepeatable effects on things not even known to exist make a better case for the word's antonyms.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The second birth is a second chance to become like a little child

'When I was a child, I thought like a child. When I grew up, I put away childish things.';)

Very good, and so true on many levels.

Yeah, but I'm thinking of a different level to you:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Another thing that I find curious, is the statement that it's "the bane of my existence". I haven't felt any ill effects of my disbelief in anything supernatural. Have you?

I totally question that "bane of my existence" statement. How would he know this? As far as I know we have never met in person.

We haven't met, but if we did I am sure I would not know you as well as I do here in SC, nor would you ever recognize me in person. As far as proof is concerned, the best science can do is offer probabilities and only if you are not looking. The spirit is as real as you perceive it to be.

Funny how all the theists wander off when the conversation begins making any kind of logical sense. Religious platitudes only get you so far in an argument.

I'm declaring this thread a victory for free thinkers everywhere.

"“Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do . . . .” The disciple who abides in Jesus is the will of God, and what appears to be his free choices are actually God’s foreordained decrees. Is this mysterious? Does it appear to contradict sound logic or seem totally absurd? Yes, but what a glorious truth it is to a saint of God." (Emphasis mine)
~Oswald Chambers

The reality exists in the illogical. That is the way God works.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Give it up Max....they are confused in their inability to think in other terms than their own narrow world.

To quote mathematical physicist and string theorist Neil Turok....

""I see religion and science as being two completely different things," he said. "Science studies how the world operates, not why it?’s here. I think the world is an incredible miracle, and we have to do whatever we can to appreciate it."

I agree.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Funny how all the theists wander off when the conversation begins making any kind of logical sense. Religious platitudes only get you so far in an argument.

I'm declaring this thread a victory for free thinkers everywhere.

"“Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do . . . .” The disciple who abides in Jesus is the will of God, and what appears to be his free choices are actually God’s foreordained decrees. Is this mysterious? Does it appear to contradict sound logic or seem totally absurd? Yes, but what a glorious truth it is to a saint of God." (Emphasis mine)
~Oswald Chambers

If what appears to be our "free choices" are actually just God's "foreordained decrees," why pray to try to get him to change his mind?

If we have no free will and everything is predestined to happen, why would he say "whatever you ask in My name, that I will do"? That's completely contradictory.

I agree, it does seem absurd.

~Oswald Chambers

If what appears to be our "free choices" are actually just God's "foreordained decrees," why pray to try to get him to change his mind?

If we have no free will and everything is predestined to happen, why would he say "whatever you ask in My name, that I will do"? That's completely contradictory.

I agree, it does seem absurd.

Matthew 7:13,14
New King James Version (NKJV)
The Narrow Way

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because[a] narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Scott Peck, MD referred to it in his book as, The Road Less Traveled.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Give it up Max....they are confused in their inability to think in other terms than their own narrow world.

You see that's the irony. Some Christians actually think things like that, even when they're complete bullshit.

Science constantly looks at things and re-evaluates things, it is never closed off to any idea that is achieved through the study of science. Which is much more than could be said for Christians.

As a Christian, you are not able to look at other points of view properly, because as soon as you start questioning your God, you are disobeying him. A scientist is able to question whether it's methods are right or wrong, and scientists are ALWAYS saying "Whoops, we were wrong in this theory". Theories and discoveries are constantly evolving around all areas of science.

Religion does not have this ability, you have an ancient book that dictates exactly what you're allowed to do and what you're not. As a Christian you are not able to go "Well, God said this... but everything else suggests this... I will now need to follow the latter" Instead you are forced to result to cliche and worn out escape routes like "It's faith", "God doesn't obey science, you just can't understand him"

If anyone is closed minded it's Christians, and they have to be. If a Christian is not being closed minded, he is not following the word of God and thus a bad Christian.

Though hey, nobody follows the word of God anyway, they just adapt it to fit how they live and somehow gain comfort in it, even though they're constantly disobeying God, and then twisting Gods words to fit their actions. Because you know... Clear God saying that working on the Sabbath is the same punishable sin as murder was just him not being able to describe what he thought properly.

You see that's the irony. Some Christians actually think things like that, even when they're complete bullshit.

Science constantly looks at things and re-evaluates things, it is never closed off to any idea that is achieved through the study of science. Which is much more than could be said for Christians.

As a Christian, you are not able to look at other points of view properly, because as soon as you start questioning your God, you are disobeying him. A scientist is able to question whether it's methods are right or wrong, and scientists are ALWAYS saying "Whoops, we were wrong in this theory". Theories and discoveries are constantly evolving around all areas of science.

Religion does not have this ability, you have an ancient book that dictates exactly what you're allowed to do and what you're not. As a Christian you are not able to go "Well, God said this... but everything else suggests this... I will now need to follow the latter" Instead you are forced to result to cliche and worn out escape routes like "It's faith", "God doesn't obey science, you just can't understand him"

If anyone is closed minded it's Christians, and they have to be. If a Christian is not being closed minded, he is not following the word of God and thus a bad Christian.

Though hey, nobody follows the word of God anyway, they just adapt it to fit how they live and somehow gain comfort in it, even though they're constantly disobeying God, and then twisting Gods words to fit their actions. Because you know... Clear God saying that working on the Sabbath is the same punishable sin as murder was just him not being able to describe what he thought properly.

I am going to call bullshit on this. Science or those who study it do not normally give credibility to anything but what they say is correct. Scientists claim to re-evaluate all of the time but they are only willing to do so as they see fit. A hand full are not like this but most are.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com