SpeedRacer

Most Christians accept evolution

Furthermore It's ridiculous to put God under a microscope as if the limits of science could actually comprehend such an entity.

Coreece, I think you just admitted to being an Agnostic!
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

How about if you let him decide what box he fits into on any given day.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And you don't find many non-believers in here that are as willing to accept and respect others beliefs.

Key words being "in here." If I used this forum as a guide, I wouldn't have a very high opinion of either atheists or Christians. Hell, I'd probably think most people were assholes. But fortunately I realize that this sort of forum often brings out the worst (or at least not the best) in people.

Key words being "in here." If I used this forum as a guide, I wouldn't have a very high opinion of either atheists or Christians. Hell, I'd probably think most people were assholes. But fortunately I realize that this sort of forum often brings out the worst (or at least not the best) in people.

Oooo! Nail, head direct hit. ;):)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Apparently, going by the posts of most non-believers in SC, non-believers seem to think that believers must justify their beliefs to them. I think it's a personal shortcoming for anyone to ask for, much less require, justification of others beliefs whether it be on any side of the fence.

This thread and all the other anti-religion threads all are rife with this same thought pattern. It's surreal.
"You're an asshole because you believe something I don't believe and you can't justify to my satisfaction why you believe what you do."
:D:D
Can't get much more mindless than that.

I couldn't agree more.:P

in my several decades of existence, I'm trying to recall any instance where an atheist, agnostic, or even a Buddhist or Jew has knocked on my door to tell me how I'm going to hell for not believing what they believe. On the other hand, I can remember (as recently as last week), Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and baptists all knocking on my door. The Mormons and JWs are particularly offensive in their zeal and attack on my beliefs. I can't think of any other religion past Mormonism that has purchased significant amounts of airtime on television and 'net broadcasts to tell me why they're happier than I am and that I should investigate their product. It all kinda boils down to what you said above;

"You're an asshole going to hell because you believe something I don't believe and you can't justify to my satisfaction why you believe what you do."

Can't get much more mindless than that. It's surreal. :S

Your experience may or may not have been more profound than someone else's, but it is a bad plan to compare your insides with someone else's outsides

True. It also applies when comparing your outsides with someone else's insides.

I'm not sure you understand the level-headedness of this and how it applies across the board to everyone. Please tell me you are.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And you don't find many non-believers in here that are as willing to accept and respect others beliefs.

Exactly. That's why I included the "in here".

I haven't met many non-belivers in the real world who are even remotely as vitriolic as SC non-believers.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the believers in here that makes your opinion include them in your statement? I personally don't find them nearly as disparaging nor as pushy as the others.

I'm coming back to the OP.

I just got back from Lowe's where the cashiers are 99% women. I noticed in the aisle next to mine a 250 lb biker type with long hair, multiple tattoos and an earring working the counter. Odd, I thought, usually gals handle that chore. Then the individual turned toward me and I saw this individual was wearing face make up and lipstick.

I concede to first person observational evidence. We are evolving. We are turning into metrosexual hermaphrodites. Soon marriage will be completely unnecessary as we will be able to autoprocreate. And, maybe we will grow wings as well. It will be like the good ol' days of eons ago.

BTW, I could not tell if it was a feminine male or a masculine female.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the believers in here that makes your opinion include them in your statement?

The smug and condescending tone that often comes across in these threads. I see it pretty equally among the believers and non-believers, though I think perhaps the non-believers slightly outnumber the believers who post in here. (Which makes sense - if I had a religion that held deep meaning for me, I personally wouldn't want to argue about it on an Internet forum with a bunch of yahoos who mostly wanted to crap on it.)

At that exact moment, how could it possibly have mattered? If the person was a woman, where you going to throw her down on the counter and fuck her right then and there? Is it only because you couldn't tell that the person may have had a dick that stopped you? Or do I have that backwards?

The person's job is to check your items and take your money, not have sex with you.

So, again I ask, what difference could it have possibly made?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Anyhow, there seem to be many in the recovery industry that would rather have someone die in addiction as a bad example than to get sober without religion.

I think with the domination of 12-step programs in the "recovery" industry, this is still more prevalent than the opposite.

I'm pretty fascinated with the origins/continuation of 12-step programs, particularly AA. And I think they have had some brilliant ideas as far as keeping an organization together with a (mostly) singular purpose.

But I recall being pretty put off by reading Mr Wilson's "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions," the chapter on Tradition Three. It's a little anecdote about this horrible atheist who showed up in the program and how everyone wished he would just go off and get drunk. Of course, finally he did, but then he found God and came back, and everyone lived happily ever after.

And I think there is still a lot of this attitude in "recovery," which does seem to back up your statement. Though I think the industry is slowly starting to open up to more options for people.

At that exact moment, how could it possibly have mattered? If the person was a woman, where you going to throw her down on the counter and fuck her right then and there? Is it only because you couldn't tell that the person may have had a dick that stopped you? Or do I have that backwards?

The person's job is to check your items and take your money, not have sex with you.

That went right over your head. I can't even begin to think how to respond to you.

That went right over your head. I can't even begin to think how to respond to you.

Well, when you do, try not to make it sound like you're more concerned about having sex with me than answering the question. I mean, sure, I'd sort of be flattered, but it's irrelevant.
quade -

But I recall being pretty put off by reading Mr Wilson's "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions," the chapter on Tradition Three. It's a little anecdote about this horrible atheist who showed up in the program and how everyone wished he would just go off and get drunk. Of course, finally he did, but then he found God and came back, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Yes, I sure that there are cases like that. There is no perfect world. I do question this though....

For the acts of some specific people, why would one condemn an entire program. Especially one that has proven helpful across the nation to so many people?

It's like saying all religion is bad because some TV bozo entices money out of people to use for his own benefit.

It's like saying the entire medical industry is bad because some doctors are quacks.
(OK...bad analogy, I know. :D:D)

Instead, IMO, it would be relevant to hammer the hell out of those specific people. That would be legitimate.-

it's irrelevant.

You can say that again.

Don't worry about it. Some people make a living on twisting comments into something entirely different than what was written. Some are even famous for it.
:S

it's irrelevant.

You can say that again.

Don't worry about it. Some people make a living on twisting comments into something entirely different than what was written. Some are even famous for it.

Excuse me? How is it "twisting" his comment? He made a ridiculous statement. I simply pointed out how ridiculous it is.
quade -

>Silly me, I just go for the least crowded / fastest lane!

Or the one with the hot cashier. Or the one without the kid coughing up a lung on the checkout counter. Also best to avoid the shortest line if one of the people in that line is the Asian woman who always has 25 coupons for the wrong products and wants to pay with a check from a Turkish bank . . .

Can get complicated here at Albertson's.

it's irrelevant.

You can say that again.

;)

Hypothetical question:

If there is no god, would you prefer to know the truth, or continue believing there is one?

Try building a pyramid without the aid of Ra and get back to me.

"Hail to the Sun God, he sure is a Fun God, Ra! Ra! Ra!"