devildog

What if the government rejects the Constitution?

"Berliner" can refer to a citizen of Berlin, Danish can't refer to a Citizen of Danmark. Beside "Danish" is short for "Danish X" in that context.

This isn't exactly Grammatical Nazism but what is it. Ethymologic Nazism?

In the USA "Danish" is definitely a noun nowadays.

I can go to a store less than a mile from my house and buy a Danish. I can have a Danish for breakfast.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are you really suggesting that speaking about the above is from the tinfoil hat crowd and nothing more?

No, I'm suggesting that you still haven't proved, "...the government never took the Constitution seriously."

When a professional speaker, and let's assume "Judge" Napolitano is one, makes a broad, sweeping and absolute statement such as that, you can safely assume it's bullshit intended to influence your subsequent thoughts. Not factual, but pure bullshit simply to prime the pump.

"Judge" Napolitano should know better than to speak in absolutes, but apparently not.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, I agree with you in that if by "the govt" he means the entire govt from the beginning to now, but I suspect he means the govt as in the one that is in power right now. And I bet he would argue that he's dead serious about saying the govt in power now never took the Constitution seriously, and he argues that case in the rest of the article.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

"Judge" Napolitano should know better than to speak in absolutes, but apparently not.

Are you and he related?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Are you and he related?

Rush, I believe your ability to comprehend what's been written is truly remarkable. I'm nearly certain you believe you understand the situation, but judging from what you've written I'm nearly certain it has eluded you.
quade -

Well, I agree with you in that if by "the govt" he means the entire govt from the beginning to now, but I suspect he means the govt as in the one that is in power right now.

Not simply from 1776 forward, but also all inclusive.

"The Government" is a big thing.

I freely admit there are some in government who have made questionable decisions.

I do not, however, condemn the entirety of it.

This is where the tinfoil hats of some people such as members of the various "tea parties" come into place. They condemn ALL government as if every member of it is corrupt. This is why I think people such as Ron Paul are nutty.

WE THE PEOPLE are "the government."
quade -

Hi winsor,

'Ich bin *ein* Berliner'

He was giving the speech in English on that beautiful June day. He kept saying, "I am a Berliner." Eventually he tried to copy what his translator was saying but got it slightly wrong.

People have been dissecting it ever since. What a waste.

:S

I was in the crowd that day and listened to his speech.

JerryBaumchen

'Ich bin *ein* Berliner' is on a par with saying 'I am *a* Danish.'

"Berliner" is a noun, "Danish" is not. I don't know if "Ich bin ein Berliner" is correct, but it's on par with "I'm an American".

Danish is a noun when referring to pastry. "A cheese Danish, please." Similarly, a Berliner, in Germany, is a jelly doughnut.

"Ich bin Berliner" translates to "I am a Berliner" (as in 'Berlin is my home') in English.

Add the article, however, and the meaning changes - "ich bin ein Berliner" translates to "I am a jelly doughnut" in English.

In both cases, One is identity, one is pastry.

but pure bullshit simply to prime the pump.

hmmm. that sounds like someone I know....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

This entire thread is chock full of revisionist history, and I'm not even referring to the OP. About the most accurate thing I've read in here so far is a quote from the original star trek.

You're all an amusing lot, but today you get a D in history.

Eh, you can go back a little further than that to the Puritan jeremiad's about how the country was in line for divine retribution because the younger generation was turning their back on God and his commandments....

Of course no poster around here would ever use a similar line of reasoning...:)

Nowadays, those are separate issues i.e., faith and government. Or at least they should be.

The message now is, we need leadership. Can it be found in the candidates?

When you die you will stand in judgment. Who is your attorney?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Let's keep it at this:

"Ich bin ein Berliner" is most on par with "Ich bin ein Hamburger" ;)

"Ich bin ein Berliner" is correct Deutsch, btw. "Ich bin Berliner" might be preferred, when referring to one's origins, but that doesn't make the first variant incorrect. I seriously doubt Germans will make a big deal out of it or will even notice it when you use the phrase "Ich bin ein Berliner".

Even if it's an aesthetic issue, which I doubt btw, it would be a minor imperfection, which would be completely eclipsed by the fact that JFK addressed them in their own language. It wouldn't be seen as a sign of ignorance or stupidity.

I think the Dutch language works exactly the same in this respect. "Ik ben een Hamburger" and "Ik ben Hamburger" are both correct ways to tell you're a citizen of the city Hamburg. While the phrase "Hamburger" has also another meaning, hardly anyone will associate you with a patty, and only the lamest people will make a joke about it.

What if there was no friction?

What if gravity was repulsive?

What if the fine structure constant was different by 4%?

What if neutrinos really did go faster than light?

What if pi = 10?

These are the really interesting questions.

If common folk knew what they meant?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

"Berliner" is a noun, "Danish" is not. I don't know if "Ich bin ein Berliner" is correct, but it's on par with "I'm an American".

Not hardly - 'ich bin Amerikaner' is the translation of 'I am an American.'

Articles are used differently in German (often used in the place of pronouns), and have significant impact on meaning.

U.S. Presidents have a knack for doing badly in other languages. Jimmy Carter's attempt to convey his affection for the Polish people, which came across as his wish to make niknik with them, is another case in point.

BSBD,

Winsor

Not hardly - 'ich bin Amerikaner' is the translation of 'I am an American.'

Articles are used differently in German (often used i[email]n the place of pronouns), and have significant impact on meaning.

U.S. Presidents have a knack for doing badly in other languages. Jimmy Carter's attempt to convey his affection for the Polish people, which came across as his wish to make niknik with them, is another case in point.

BSBD,

Winsor

Not really. Common Poles were even more enthusiastic enablers of the holocaust than common Germans were. Carter was telling them to go fuck themselves.

Winsor, I'm not very good at German, mainly because of the complex grammar, but I still studied it for 3 years in high-school. I'm pretty confident I still know how to construct a simple sentence in German. "pretty confident" isn't enough, of course, but as luck would have it, the special other lived in Germany for a couple of years, and to be even more precise in Berlin, Germany. He is almost fluent in German, and He confirms that "Ich bin ein Berliner" is in fact a correct way to say that one is a citizen of Berlin. What's even more, the pastry berliner is known under another name in Berlin, so the whole story is probably a hoax or an urban myth.

And most people who speak a foreign language make embarrassing mistakes, not only US presidents.

Not really. Common Poles were even more enthusiastic enablers of the holocaust than common Germans were. Carter was telling them to go fuck themselves.

:D:D:D
The zenith of liberal humor. So refreshing because it is so rare.

Are you and he related?

Rush, I believe your ability to comprehend what's been written is truly remarkable. I'm nearly certain you believe you understand the situation, but judging from what you've written I'm nearly certain it has eluded you.

You posted of speaking in absolutes

My point is dead on
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Are you and he related?

You posted of speaking in absolutes

My point is dead on arrival

Fixed it for you. You're welcome.

Don

i'll provide proof for you, but you get no links, i've researched the matters in question thoroughly, get off your bum if you want to argue them and look them up yourself. lincoln was the first i could find that skirted the constitution in war times by suspending the writ of habeas corpus. it has been done in every war we have been involved in since then. i also found that most of the rest of the comments made are true. you can argue all day long that obama is the cause of all of our woes, but jefferson was the last president to stand against the pressures of others to skirt around the constitution.
if the things you write on this forum are what you actually believe instead of just stirring shit, i feel for you brother. i feel for anyone who can look at the past and deny they happen, kinda like the emporer's clothes...
http://kitswv.com

Dire predictions about the end of this country as we know it have been going on for at least 250 years - but still, some people seem to be fooled by them.

You say that like it could never happen.

Ahhhh...but yes, it's unlikely...because 'Mericans are such apathetic wimps as a general rule.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

But let's just start with the first one . . . give that a bit of a go will ya? Show me some sort of documentation that "...the government never took the Constitution seriously."

What? You say it's actually impossible to prove that?

Nope. Just that it's impossible to see Quade change his pre-set beliefs about anything...proof or not.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239