JohnRich

Obama's Christmas Tree Tax. Bah Humbug!

News:
What tree growers want for Christmas: a 'tax'

"The Obama administration is backing a plan requiring U.S. Christmas tree growers to pay 15 cents per natural tree sold; imported producers will pay 20 cents per tree. The revenue would go exclusively toward a program that will research and promote fresh-cut Christmas trees in the United States..."
Full story: CNN Money

What the hell business is it of the government to promote the private Christmas tree industry? If they want to promote their products, they can create a trade group like everyone else. This is another sign of how big and out of control the government has become.

Hey, how about a 15-cent federal tax per parachute jump, with the proceeds going to the national promotion of skydiving by the government? Yeah! It's gotta be in the Constitution somewhere...

Looks the the war on Christmas 2011 has officially begun...

Oooh! Indignant, angry Fundies!

**cracks open beer, grabs bag o' popcorn**

:D

nope, not this time...that was sarcasm.

I'll give you a pass only because you're new...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

This is important. For those of you out there who are unaware, a "Chrtistams Tree" is a tradition in many parts of American. While it has religious connotations, some persons view it as a secular purpose. The tree itself is usually an evergreen, such as a noble or douglass fir.

A fresh cut tree is one that was not manufactured but was either farmed or cut from forest. It is usually maintained with water, and is different from an "artificial" tree, which is manufactured by industrial process.

I think that it is important that Americans learn about Christmas trees. Christmas trees are an obscure tradition that a federal tax and educational program will help Americans become more aware of traditional roots.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This is important. For those of you out there who are unaware, a "Chrtistams Tree" is a tradition in many parts of American. While it has religious connotations, some persons view it as a secular purpose.

Ya...the discussion of which has become a yearly christmas tradition here at SC.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

An agriculture group asked for some help, and suggested that a tax be imposed on their own product to fund that help. And somehow this means Obama is trying to grow government and kill Christmas. Got it. lol

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

An agriculture group asked for some help, and suggested that a tax be imposed on their own product to fund that help. And somehow this means Obama is trying to grow government and kill Christmas. Got it. lol

No, you don't got it.

The tree farmers could self-impose the tax on themselves, and use the group funds to create their own public awareness campaign. It is not the purpose of government to promote xmas trees for them.

Nor did I say or even imply that this was an attempt to kill xmas.

Got it? Ho-ho-ho.

No, you don't got it.

The tree farmers could self-impose the tax on themselves, and use the group funds to create their own public awareness campaign. It is not the purpose of government to promote xmas trees for them.

Got it? Ho-ho-ho.

I understand all that. I actually clicked the link and it was the death, destruction, and Obama wants a big government to squash baby Jesus tone of the republican politicians that prompted my response. The funniest part here is its GOP going against the farmers (typically part of their base) solely because Obama did what they asked, which must make it bad. Ain't partisan politics fun?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Here's a problem:

What's the executive branch doing levying taxes? Isn't that the role of the legislature?

Second thing: why is a consortium asking for government help? Because they want to tax foreign trees.

Third: why is the government involved? Because not all growers wanted to play ball. By taxing every tree by governmental executive fiat, those farmers who didn't want to pony up to Lucky and the commission would have no choice.

Thus, it's several things that I have a problem with. And under the auspice of giving publicity to X-mas trees. As if Americans don't know about them.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Looks the the war on Christmas 2011 has officially begun...

Oooh! Indignant, angry Fundies!

**cracks open beer, grabs bag o' popcorn**

:D

nope, not this time...that was sarcasm.

I'll give you a pass only because you're new...

He's not new, he's a sock puppet pretending to be an attorney!:D:D:D
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I guess this would be quite the deal (or not) if this was actually going to happen (which it's not).

"I can tell you unequivocally that the Obama administration is not taxing Christmas trees," said Matt Lehrich, a White House spokesman, in confirming the delay and review. "What's being talked about here is an industry group deciding to impose fees on itself to fund a promotional campaign, similar to how the dairy producers have created the 'Got Milk?' campaign."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/09/news/economy/christmas_tree_tax/index.htm
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Can the government possibly impose a $0.15 excise tax on anything that costs less than that to administer? I highly doubt it. Never mind that the $0.20/ tree for foreign trees is aimed squarely at producers protected by a free trade treaty that specifically prohibits such unequal treatment and will no doubt trigger trade action that will cost all sides more than the tax will raise. On second thought it may not. for 5 cents who will really give a fuck?

christmas tree tax, puhlease! just another example of government theft!
tax- shit, i attended a local city meeting where the assholes in charge here (small town government is the family business) have a municpal utility that charges each utility bill an exta $100+ each month in comparison to other utility rates to fund the city's slush fund. i expect nothing less from a system whose sole purpose is to steal money and protect them from accountability while doing so!!

It's only $0.20 per tree, but yet another example of the Obama Administration not honoring the existing trade agreements. Maybe Obama should implement the "Tree Registry" so that Big Brother can account for each and every tree.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

No, you don't got it.

Got it? Ho-ho-ho.

Just like all those Hollywood billionaires keep saying that they (the rich) ought to be taxed more, always send more money to the IRS than their accountants determine they owe.:D

It is so goddam obvious that many on this board do not have the ability to research and seek out the facts. The supposed "tax" is not a tax, but a fee that the growers themselves would pay, not the consumer. The National Christmas Tree Association and their members have agreed upon this themselves, not the White House.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/tree_farmers_blast_sinister_smear_of_obamas_christmas_tree_tax.php

Where the growers 0.15 cent fee per tree will go (remember, the growers imposed this fee on themselves):
http://www.smithharroff.com/cs_ncta.htm
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

It is so goddam obvious that many on this board do not have the ability to research and seek out the facts. The supposed "tax" is not a tax, but a fee that the growers themselves would pay, not the consumer. The National Christmas Tree Association and their members have agreed upon this themselves, not the White House.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/tree_farmers_blast_sinister_smear_of_obamas_christmas_tree_tax.php

Where the growers 0.15 cent fee per tree will go (remember, the growers imposed this fee on themselves):
http://www.smithharroff.com/cs_ncta.htm

Oh shush.... they are on yet another HATE OBAMA roll.:ph34r::ph34r:

We know what is is... The problem we have with it is its being pushed on Americans by the government who was pushed to do it by a PRIVATE tree awareness organization lobbyist.

If its such a good idea let them do it on their own, the government should learn to let things slide and let private business handle it instead of trying to jump half assed into everything. It might be a FEE but if they have anything to do with it, might as well call it a TAX!

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

***It might be a FEE but if they have anything to do with it, might as well call it a TAX! [url]

How so? It is a fee paid by the grower, not the person buying the tree.
Anyways, I have to go to my office and do a bit of work today. Love the office. I always have the coolest views and I keep the railroads safe to boot.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young