rushmc

Bin Laden (New stories and black helos)

reminds me of the Amadou Diallo shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadou_Diallo_shooting

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>I wonder why they were so quick to dispose of his body?

Guessing:

1) they wanted to avoid a fight over who gets the body
2) they wanted to avoid a lot of suicide bombers wherever the body was kept
3) they didn't want to give anyone a bloody shirt

Better (IMO) that he just disappears into the ocean.

It'll be second-guessed forever, and any decision would have been second-guessed, often by the same people second-guessing this one.

It's done. The idea was, as far as I can tell, to give the least fodder possible for anyone trying to make a case of anything, including:

1. was it actually bin Laden (we got DNA)
2. disrespect for the dead (we tried)
3. tomb for martyrs (don't have one -- but feel free to throw yourself into the sea)
4. we didn't mess him up enough (good -- that wasn't the purpose)

etc.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Personally, I'd have like to have seen his body handed over to P.T. Barnum.

Unlikely to happen as Barnum was taken out in a raid conducted by an elite force of killer clowns on April 7, 1891.
As old as you are, I would had thought that you might recall the headline "BARNUM IS DEAD, SIDESHOW FREAKS ARE FREE, AT LAST!"
Get with the times, old man!:D
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

reminds me of the Amadou Diallo shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadou_Diallo_shooting

In some ways, yes.

Could an attempt to surrender by OBL have been misinterpereted by the SEALs? Could it have been deliberately misinterpereted?

Sure.

But OBL, unlike Diallo, was a known bad guy, known to be familiar with weapons, known to have combat skills, and on and on.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

But yet you and others immediately bought the "killed in a fire-fight" story without question.

I'd have questioned that story more if I cared, but I don't. If he was shot in the head by a sniper while taking a dump, that'd be fine by me.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm glad bin Laden is gone too. I give Obama credit for making the call to pull the trigger. Something Clinton by proxy couldn't or wouldn't do.

somehow you forgot about the 43rd President.

Seeing how the initial intel and all things in place were put there by him, and kept by Obama
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm glad bin Laden is gone too. I give Obama credit for making the call to pull the trigger. Something Clinton by proxy couldn't or wouldn't do.

Seeing how the initial intel and all things in place were put there by him, and kept by Obama

It just riles your feathers that Obama has done what Bush so miserably failed to do. Oh, but he did catch Saddam. That must of had been quite the task. You know, with Saddam so deep in hiding. If Bush had stayed the course, instead of dropping the ball and pouring every resource into a country that had nothing to do with 9-11, he might had been the one getting the praise. Fact is, Bush made the situation worst.
Neil Young

/serious comment/ Other than the muzzle velocity, how much difference is there between a sniper at 800 meters and a sniper at 8 feet?/end serious comment/

/now for the good stuff/
I can't believe you people are so missing the obvious. Donald Trump asks for Obama's college records, then suddenly bin Laden gets whacked. We all owe Donald Trump a big "thank you" for playing such a big role in getting rid of this issue.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Boy, Obama must really want to hide his college record :o
:P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It just riles your feathers that Obama has done what Bush so miserably failed to do.

I missed the part where Bush had credible intelligence on OBL's exact location and failed to order a mission. You speak as if Obama collected intel, analyzed the info, and led the raid. I'm glad that, and am proud of him for, having the courage to approve the mission, (and it did take courage) but President Hillary Clinton would have done the same.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

It just riles your feathers that Obama has done what Bush so miserably failed to do.

I missed the part where Bush had credible intelligence on OBL's exact location and failed to order a mission. You speak as if Obama collected intel, analyzed the info, and led the raid. I'm glad that, and am proud of him for, having the courage to approve the mission, (and it did take courage) but President Hillary Clinton would have done the same.

no, you missed the part where gravity made a slap about Obama doing the job that *Clinton* failed to do.

Bush had more than 7 years where we could dedicate our entire effort on finding him. He choose to shift the focus to Iraq. Ignoring whether this was a worthy task for our military, Bin Laden wasn't in Iraq and he benefited from this.

If Clinton is going to get slapped for failing to get the job done before 9/11, then Bush can't get off scott free. 7 > 2, last I checked.

Hmm I think that was called Tora Bora.... ya know where they would not go after him and let him go to Pakistan unscathed.

Look, Bush had two terms to get the job done.
Fact: he did not complete the task.
Fact: he dropped the ball and invaded a country that did not attack us.
Fact: thousands of people died due to Bush's personal war.
Fact: Bush took every opportunity for a photo operation and to remind America that he was "a decider."
Fact: Bush wasted billions of dollars and turned Iraq into a hell hole.
Fact: Obama stayed the course and got the job done.

I believe that the Obama haters would had loved to have seen this mission fail so that they could have ammo against him.
Neil Young

Hmm I think that was called Tora Bora.... ya know where they would not go after him and let him go to Pakistan unscathed.

What she said. Some one accused the Army of "Dropping the ball" in a thread. Not true, they where "ordered" to give it back to the other Team.

The current POTUS and SECDEF had enough of Pakistan's stone walling and aiding, so they acted. They had been helping hide OBL since 2002 as we tried to bribe them to hand him over.

Pakistan even went so far as to scramble fighters to shoot down the helo's (According to one news story I read), seems odd for a "Partner" in the "War on Terror" to do that.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Some one accused the Army of "Dropping the ball" in a thread. Not true, they where "ordered" to give it back to the other Team.

That was I who said that. It was wrong of me. Had the Army been given the green light, Bin Laden would had been buried deep beneath Tora Bora.
I apologize for saying such.
Neil Young

My memory fails me here...

After we started actively hunting him, was there ever a time when we actually, really knew where he was?

If so, did the particular Prez at that time actually, really nix a plan to nail him?

It seems to me that some of us are giving the Prez more credit than he is due. A lot of people did the ground work. He only gave the OK to proceed.

Personally, he gets no more credit than that from me. It could have happened with anybody in there as Prez. Nothing special about it being Obama other than he gave the OK.

I think if the politicos had just stayed out of it the intelligence and military people would have had the job done long ago.

And yes, I understand that in the real world political considerations must be addressed.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Pakistan even went so far as to scramble fighters to shoot down the helo's (According to one news story I read), seems odd for a "Partner" in the "War on Terror" to do that.

Not really. It has been reported that Pakistan were not informed of the operation before hand, so if a number of unidentified a/c entered its airspace, surely the correct course of action is to send up an intercept (we would and no doubt anyone else with and air force would too).... now what is more surprising is that they let the incursion slide....

So someone high up probably told them to back off.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

After both the UK and the USA governments lied to us all to take us to war in Iraq (and fabricated evidence to do so) its only right to question news like this. I'm totally willing to believe what the POTUS claims (I don't care which side of the political divide he's from) so long as I'm shown evidence. 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.' Unthinking and unquestioning belief in the government is a fools approach. As for if he had a weapon or not, who cares. Did the SEALS give him a chance to surrender, who cares? I certainly don't give a damn if they did or not. He's dead? Fine but...
Show me the evidence.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It just riles your feathers that Obama has done what Bush so miserably failed to do. Oh, but he did catch Saddam. That must of had been quite the task. You know, with Saddam so deep in hiding. If Bush had stayed the course, instead of dropping the ball and pouring every resource into a country that had nothing to do with 9-11, he might had been the one getting the praise. Fact is, Bush made the situation worst.

Nope

I comend Obama to keep going with what Bush started

Despite the whining from those like you

GITMO
Wire Taps
and on
and on
and on

Good for Obama
Abraham Lincoln

After both the UK and the USA governments lied to us all to take us to war in Iraq (and fabricated evidence to do so) its only right to question news like this. I'm totally willing to believe what the POTUS claims (I don't care which side of the political divide he's from) so long as I'm shown evidence. 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.' Unthinking and unquestioning belief in the government is a fools approach. As for if he had a weapon or not, who cares. Did the SEALS give him a chance to surrender, who cares? I certainly don't give a damn if they did or not. He's dead? Fine but...
Show me the evidence.

Nope, no lie
That will not change even if you do keep saying it
Abraham Lincoln