ryoder

Libyan pilots defect rather than bomb protesters

Fucking Righteous.
It's laudable when people risk so much to do the right thing.

Would you still say that if it turns out that the protesters are Islamist extremists trying to over throw the government?

Yes.
Bombing your own countrymen is usually a bad idea.
How about a surgical strike on the Westboro Baptist Church headquarters? I take it you'd be all for it?

Hmmm.... Still thinking.... Tempting....
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Fucking Righteous.

Would you still say that if it turns out that the protesters are Islamist extremists trying to over throw the government?

Yes.
How about a surgical strike on the Westboro Baptist Church headquarters? I take it you'd be all for it?

Hmmm.... Still thinking

It'd be a close call for most of us!!:P
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Fucking Righteous.

Yes.

Hmmm.... Still thinking

It'd be a close call for most of us!!:P

Agreed.:|
I've heard worse ideas.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If he doesn't have popular support he WILL fall..

That's an extremely optimistic outlook. He doesn't have to have popular support to succeed, he just needs to inflict enough carnage that the masses are cowed into neutrality. And for that al lhe really needs is the support of enough of the miltiary. Fortuntely, these defections seem to cast some doubt on that.

-Blind

"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

a pilot and is co-pilot/navigator ejected from a Su-22 to show their dissaproval towards the order they received to bomb the city of Benghazi
http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/dossier/tunisie/story/Un-pilote-refuse-de-bombarder-et-s-ejecte-15732007
http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article932302.ece/Libyan-fighter-pilot-rejects-Benghazi-raid-ditches-plane

Congrats on your jump :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

good for them, but they should still be shot for being traitors :S

They certainly made an oath when they signed up. And about every oath that I heard of had something like "defend country from all enemy, foreign or domestic" and "follow the orders of the president" or similar.

Just because of that, they really could be shot as traitors. But if protesters win, then they would be heroes. Right?

So if something like this happened in your country (not directed to you Fish, but to all), what do you think, where would most of the army/police members stand?
Would they bomb or would they defect?
dudeist skydiver #42

In the US the enlisted oath says that you will follow orders in accordance with the UCMJ. An order to kill protesting citizens (in the US) is generally not lawful under UCMJ. If they are trying to break into the armory, you can defend it, but dropping bombs on them would not be lawful in most circumstances. Officers swear a slightly different oath (no clause about obeying orders), but are still not bound to obey unconstitutional orders. Bombing civilians for exercising their consitutional rights is probably an order you can disobey.

Officer:

“I, (state your name), having been appointed a (rank) in the United States (branch of service), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foriegn and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Enlisted:

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

- Dan G

They certainly made an oath when they signed up. And about every oath that I heard of had something like "defend country from all enemy, foreign or domestic" and "follow the orders of the president" or similar.

Just because of that, they really could be shot as traitors. But if protesters win, then they would be heroes. Right?

So if something like this happened in your country (not directed to you Fish, but to all), what do you think, where would most of the army/police members stand?

Not trying to get things off-topic here, but this also goes to the argument that anti-gun folks make about the 2nd Amendment. They claim that a citizen militia is a useless idea, because if the government wants to attack the citizenry, then they'll be helpless to resist. Well, here we are with Libya, and an example of how even in a country ruled by a dictator, that the military will not necessarily go along blindly with orders to attack their own civilians. No doubt the same would be true if an American president were to ever give such orders to the U.S. military to attack our own citizens.

a pilot and is co-pilot/navigator ejected from a Su-22 to show their dissaproval towards the order they received to bomb the city of Benghazi
http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/dossier/tunisie/story/Un-pilote-refuse-de-bombarder-et-s-ejecte-15732007
http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article932302.ece/Libyan-fighter-pilot-rejects-Benghazi-raid-ditches-plane

and people complain about price of jumptickets.. :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

and people complain about price of jumptickets.. :D

So, they owe beer, right?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Not trying to get things off-topic here, but this also goes to the argument that anti-gun folks make about the 2nd Amendment. They claim that a citizen militia is a useless idea, because if the government wants to attack the citizenry, then they'll be helpless to resist. Well, here we are with Libya, and an example of how even in a country ruled by a dictator, that the military will not necessarily go along blindly with orders to attack their own civilians. No doubt the same would be true if an American president were to ever give such orders to the U.S. military to attack our own citizens.

You just made an argument against the right to guns.

Surprised to see you supporting Al-Jama’a al-Islamiyyah al-Muqatilah bi-Libya. I'll have to get you a 'I love Al Quieda' T-shirt for your birthday. :D:D:D

How was being glad the pilots refused orders to blow up their own countrymen that were doing a protest the same as what you claim above?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That is the brillance of the private armies like Blackwater/XE and the group that took over police duties in Montana. They are not hobbled with those sill restrictions of shooting those who do not agree to get with THEIR program or ideaology.

(Queue Kennedy to come in and defend his heros.. who would NEVER do anything like that.)

if Gaddafi doesn't have the support of this military, he WILL fall.

Apparently that may be less cut-and-dried in Libya than in some other countries (e.g., Egypt).

Please see article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12558066

Libya: Who is propping up Gaddafi?

Unlike in Egypt or Tunisia, it is not the conventional military that holds the balance of power in Libya.

Instead, it is a murky network of paramilitary brigades, "revolutionary committees" of trusted followers, tribal leaders and imported foreign mercenaries.

The actual Libyan Army is almost symbolic, a weakened and emaciated force of little more than 40,000, poorly armed and poorly trained. It is part of Col Muammar Gaddafi's long-term strategy to eliminate the risk of a military coup, which is how he himself came to power in 1969.

Foreign Mercenaries in the Middle East: A Brief History

When you're a scumbag dictator intent on nothing more than holding onto power and stealing as much as you can, trusting the locals is a bad idea. That's why he uses foreigners, particularly Brits in days gone by. Now it's anyone desperate enough and amoral enough to take the money. And it's supposed to be very good money, if Gaddafianages to hold onto power and avoid warcrimes trials long enough to pay.

ps - Somebody notify Jeanne: this is what private armies actually look like.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Foreign Mercenaries in the Middle East: A Brief History

When you're a scumbag dictator intent on nothing more than holding onto power and stealing as much as you can, trusting the locals is a bad idea. That's why he uses foreigners, particularly Brits in days gone by. Now it's anyone desperate enough and amoral enough to take the money. And it's supposed to be very good money, if Gaddafianages to hold onto power and avoid warcrimes trials long enough to pay.

ps - Somebody notify Jeanne: this is what private armies actually look like.

HMMMM yes yes it is.... and some people are completely blind to the ones THEY support so vociferously[:/]