JohnRich

Law curbs McDonald's Happy Meal toys

EXACTLY, look back before Mc D's started throwing in toys, every Fat kid in school, had Fat Parents...So who do we blame back then?

(matter of fact, Fat kids still always have Fat Parents)

I don't know - George Bush?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes, I completely agree its the parents fault, but like I said a lot of parents really don't look after their kids long term health and they shove happy meals in their kid's face because it's the only thing they can do to get them to stop crying.

The only reason I would agree with government intervention is a worse case scenario because of all the bad parents out there.

so you're saying the government should decide then who marries each other and who gets to have kids?

:):):)

Edit: we knew before we became parents that if you let the kid cry when nothing is wrong and stop picking them up for that - eventually they stop crying and start becoming pretty nice kids. works most every time

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes, I completely agree its the parents fault, but like I said a lot of parents really don't look after their kids long term health and they shove happy meals in their kid's face because it's the only thing they can do to get them to stop crying.

The only reason I would agree with government intervention is a worse case scenario because of all the bad parents out there.

so you're saying the government should decide then who marries each other and who gets to have kids?

:):):)

Yeah I'm all for advocating that!!!

I probably should take it easy on the sarcasm knowing the attention span of some.
B.A.S.E. #1734

Prior...just for the record and to substantiate your expertise on the matter...how many kids do you have?

None.

Does a psychiatrist have to be raped by somebody to help a woman through her traumatic experience? I don't see any relevance here.

Are you saying that there may be an excuse for parents who don't know how to calm their children with anything but material objects?
B.A.S.E. #1734

The criticism of this law is brought to you by the same brand of crypto-fascisti would deprive Gay Iowans the right to choose their own spouses. For the children, I suppose.

you didn't turn it around

This LAW is brought to you by the same brand of crypto-fascisti that believe people are too stupid to choose how to feed their kids but still think they are smart enough to choose their own mate(s).

right? one side in one thread, the other side in the other thread - this way everyone is mocked (or "cross mocked" (TM))

Prior...just for the record and to substantiate your expertise on the matter...how many kids do you have?

None.

Does a psychiatrist have to be raped by somebody to help a woman through her traumatic experience? I don't see any relevance here.

Are you saying that there may be an excuse for parents who don't know how to calm their children with anything but material objects?

Absolutely not. But it always amazes me how often people who don't have kids know what's best for other people's kids. You've always been able to walk away from that which is unpleasant. When you have kids that scenario changes. Little kids are exasperating and will test you at every turn. Maybe what we should be talking about instead is some sort of competancy testing to keep your reproductive organs.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The criticism of this law is brought to you by the same brand of crypto-fascisti would deprive Gay Iowans the right to choose their own spouses. For the children, I suppose.

i'm glad you're not discriminating against other mammals , animals are people too !

Parents are entirely at fault. Yet, this country will bare the burden in health care cost and lost time from work. Fat kids will eventually become fat adults unless the parents get a major kick in their fat asses and wise up to the harm they are doing to the future of their children.

I just took a look in an old yearbook from 1971 and did not see one obese kid. Granted, our elementary school was not big and most of the kids came from farms in the Lemoore (California) area, yet not one fat kid!

The difference from then to today is how we played, not necessarily what we ate. We ate a lot of fried food as well as a lot of burgers from the local drive-in. We ate a lot of candy and drank gallons of soda pop. What we didn't do was sit on our asses. We didn't play video games the entire day. We rode our bikes and motorcycles, played baseball, football, and basketball. Parents need to yank the cords on the X-box and Nintendo and invest in equipment for real sports. There is nothing healthy in playing virtual sports.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

The parents should be responsible for their childrens nutrition not restaurants. I think it's a silly law and really won't change a thing.

I agree! Too many parents are scared to death to tell their kids one little word... NO!

Chuck

:D:D:D:D

Was it something I said? :D

Chuck

News:

Law curbs McDonald's Happy Meal toys

San Francisco has become the first major U.S. city to pass a law that cracks down on the popular practice of giving away free toys with unhealthy restaurant meals for children.

The law would require that restaurant kids' meals meet certain nutritional standards before they could be sold with toys...
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101103/us_nm/us_mcdonalds_toys

"San Francisco Approved Bunny Food Happy Meal With Toy: $3.99"

"Happy Meal: Burger, Fries, Drink, toy not included: $3.49. Separate Toy: $0.50"

I just took a look in an old yearbook from 1971 and did not see one obese kid. Granted, our elementary school was not big and most of the kids came from farms in the Lemoore (California) area, yet not one fat kid!

The difference from then to today is how we played, not necessarily what we ate. We ate a lot of fried food as well as a lot of burgers from the local drive-in. We ate a lot of candy and drank gallons of soda pop. What we didn't do was sit on our asses. We didn't play video games the entire day. We rode our bikes and motorcycles, played baseball, football, and basketball. Parents need to yank the cords on the X-box and Nintendo and invest in equipment for real sports. There is nothing healthy in playing virtual sports.

Yes, I know the happy meals were around in the 70s.

SF has far more serious problems to tackle, like cleaning up the shit (literally) off the streets.

Tehy are adults, they know they will die young...it is thier choice

On the way there they cost more in health care and lowered productivity. That costs everyone, whether it's the other people on their insurance plan, or the hospitals that treat them because they're not allowed to let people die on the street.

That's the general interest. Not enough to make it illegal to put a toy into a happy meal (it is a dumb law), but enough for there to be a general incentive to encourage good health.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Kids do not chose how they want to be when they are older, kids will eat what their parents feed them as they are growing up. It's not like little 4-5 year olds are looking in the mirror going: "Hmm. Maybe I SHOULD eat my vegetables."

You are right, the parent puts the $$ on the counter. Maybe if they put adult toys in the Happy Meal instead of kid's toys, they'd increase sales......

you know, like power tools, or blenders - I don't know what you were thinking of when you read "adult toys"

although, admitting that the parents are the ones that feed the kids and not the government is a good step

EXACTLY, look back before Mc D's started throwing in toys, every Fat kid in school, had Fat Parents...So who do we blame back then?

(matter of fact, Fat kids still always have Fat Parents)

Are you fucking joking me?

Go back and read, "Fat kids had Fat Parents , BEFORE Mcd's happy meals!" YOU AGREED...

SO, After they take on fast food resturants, but the kids are still fat little fuckers,So..... Lets go after the grocery stores....BUT, they are still fat little fuckers, So ......Lets go into their homes, and control the food they are allowed to buy.........

BIG BROTHER......>:(

Here he is Folks the "Winner" of the SSStttttreeeeettccchhhhh of the year award...........

If that's the case, I've got a better solution... Forced sterilization. We've done it before with the other "undesireables". "If your kids fat you lose your sack." I think it would be effective.

Parents are entirely at fault. Yet, this country will bare the burden in health care cost and lost time from work. Fat kids will eventually become fat adults unless the parents get a major kick in their fat asses and wise up to the harm they are doing to the future of their children.

Those X-Boxes, computers, texting and video games make good baby-sitters!

Chuck

Here he is Folks the "Winner" of the SSStttttreeeeettccchhhhh of the year award...........

at least he's not discriminating against other mammals !

This is what a 16 yearold kid should look like, IMO....(had to grab a chance to brag about my kid)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/Beach/redbull.jpg

Literally exactly what I looked like at 16. Except I did my tabletops to the other side. Strange, that he rides left foot forward and tables to the left.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've always been torn on this one. I believe that govt should mostly stay out of all business, but I also realize there are communities and people that are uninformed about products they buy, whether by choice or ignorance. Market forces allow fast food to offer tasty meals for cheap but at a potentially huge cost down the road. If the effect of eating shitty was immediately apparant maybe the population would choose differently but it's not. It's like putting a bit of sand in your engine every time you get gas. At the same time I occasionally buy and eat stuff that my body rejects..because it tastes good lol. So what's the answer?