dgskydive

Whu is it ok for Muslims to burn the American Flag and not ok to burn the Quran?

These Baptist just want to exercise their freedom of expression.

I have the freedom to express how I feel in these forums, but when it's not done responsibly I just end up looking like a dick and my message gets convoluted...now maybe sometimes I'm just envious of other dicks because I'm not a Bigus Dickus they are, but I really have no Biblical basis to emulate them.

Do you find it risable, when I say the name Bigus Dickus?;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FByERYetqI

Now, back on topic... this guy apparently seems to feel justified in burning books, but I don't see that justification comming from the Bible...IMO, it's rather just foolish...But I believe he feels justified because he thinks he has an apostolic anointing, which in this day and age can be very dangerous...and often is.

For example, his website lists why they will not feel responsible for any violence:

Let's just make one thing clear. A small church, in a small town, down a back road, burning copies of its own books, on its own property, is not responsible for the violent actions anyone may take in retaliation to our protest. Remember, Paul did not make the snake, the fire drove it out and he was bitten. If violence happens in reaction to this, the violence was not caused by us, it has just been exposed.

To me, this just wreaks of irresponsibility. It seems they are basically trying to incite violence among muslims to expose it as a violent religion.

Futhermore, The website says that it is trying to get people to ask hard questions...two of these questions are listed as follows:

-Is burning books really the right way to get this message out?

-immediately followed by, what is the right way? (and if you answered “just don’t say anything”, you have unfortunately answered incorrectly.)

In these two questions they practically admit it's the wrong way.

I'd basically answer it by saying that the only message that needs to get out is that of the Gospel...it is done by teaching an understanding of the principles found within, and if you can't accept that, that lack of faith wasn't caused by me, your unbelief has just been exposed.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were once our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

"It is now no more that toleration is spoken of as if it was the indulgence of one class of people that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily, the government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support."

-George Washington

I don't think anyone is arguing what he is doing is a smart decison, but our constitution is there to protect unpopular beliefs.

But as discussed above, it's not a question of whether he has the constitutional right to burn a book; he clearly does. It's a question of whether he's a fucking asshole who shames our nation on the international stage when he does it. The answer to that is also Yes.

I don't think anyone is arguing what he is doing is a smart decison, but our constitution is there to protect unpopular beliefs.

My issue is if these unpopular beliefs are consistent with the Christian mandate?

...and our rights may be protected, but are they protected if they are gonna incite people to violence and possibly kill others?

...or a better question may be are they protected once they incite people to violence and kill others?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

It's a question of whether he's a fucking asshole who shames our nation on the international stage when he does it. The answer to that is also Yes.

No arguments here. The good doctor is the last in a long line of people suffering from a severe rectal cranial inversion lately. I'm not sure what it's going to take to get past this us versus them mentality, but certainly this isn't it. I think my big problem is that people are giving the focus to Terry Jones and actually validating his lunancy...but then again I guess I'm contributing to that by being in this thread.
Peace, love and hoppiness

My issue is if these unpopular beliefs are consistent with the Christian mandate?

Just like Fred Phelps, I don't think Terry Jones has paid a minute of care to the words of free love, acceptance, and forgiveness Christ taught.

...and our rights may be protected, but are they protected if they are gonna incite people to violence and possibly kill others?

I would say, and I'm in no way an authority, this event probably has "bad tendencies" or at worst is "clear and probable danger," neither of which have been valid tests for decades.

So no, I don't think there is a judiciable way to prevent this from happening. But I also think his actions do not represent the teachings of Christ, and I'd rather see this absurdity ignorned and take away the power of the message than giving him the ability to profiteer of being a pariah
Peace, love and hoppiness

would it then be OK to stone your women or chop off a couple of robber hands ??

just because other people do things doesn't mean it's OK everywhere.

It's just about trying to be an example.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Nope. It's legal to burn flags and Korans. Neither is really "OK" - most people who do either are just being dicks.

Considering how many of those christian fanatics are unable to separate fact from fiction - I am surprised that they are BUYING Qurans to burn - doesn't that mean that they are funding terrorism as ALL muslims are terrorists:o
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

it's not a question of whether he has the constitutional right to burn a book; he clearly does. It's a question of whether he's a fucking asshole who shames our nation on the international stage when he does it. The answer to that is also Yes.

That's one lesson that people could take from this. The other is; "Wow, look at that - those Americans have the freedom to do and say unpopular things, and no one tries to jail them or kill them over it! That's quite an amazing free society they have!"

We can't say that same thing about societies run by the Taliban...

And I think most people are smart enough to realize that the actions of this one minister do not represent our entire nation, nor bring shame upon it as a whole. And those that do, don't have enough intellect for us to care what they think.

by fascist you mean muslim ?

nope, the nazis burned books; and what i'm saying is that by burning the koran, they only show their true colors..

just because some dipshits burn a flag doesnt mean you have to disrespect a whole culture/religion..

BTW, i'm not really fond of muslims, too!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The other is; "Wow, look at that - those Americans have the freedom to do and say unpopular things, and no one tries to jail them or kill them over it! That's quite an amazing free society they have!"

I'm sure that's exactly how the Taliban will spin it to the uneducated and isolated people in the tribal regions.

- Dan G