dgskydive

Whu is it ok for Muslims to burn the American Flag and not ok to burn the Quran?

You cannot have a logical bearing argument about that subject without Human Rights being the fundamental topic.

Sure you can. Free Speech and Freedom of Expression is restricted in all countries around the world.

Perhaps THAT is the problem then..... trying to drag idiots kicking and screaming into the 21st Century is just not going to be easy.>:(>:(

It's restricted in the US as well. Most Americans just happen to be OK with those restrictions or at least are willing to accept that society at large thinks those restrictions are in order.

You cannot have a logical bearing argument about that subject without Human Rights being the fundamental topic.

Sure you can. Free Speech and Freedom of Expression is restricted in all countries around the world.

Perhaps THAT is the problem then..... trying to drag idiots kicking and screaming into the 21st Century is just not going to be easy.>:(>:(

It's restricted in the US as well. Most Americans just happen to be OK with those restrictions or at least are willing to accept that society at large thinks those restrictions are in order.

Personally I know just how fucked up this country is in its OWN backwardness.... BUT.. I have been to enough third world shitholes to realize how much freedom we have in the US and in the West compared to the lack of it in many other places.

I also realize there are places that place more value on their own people than we do here.

Thank you for reaffirming my statement.

You couldn't even rebut my statement without bring up a human rights issue.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You couldn't even rebut my statement without bring up a human rights issue.

Then start in your own country, since you feel your human rights are being violated.

I diodn't say they were violated, I said it was a human rights issue - You should really stop assuming.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>You should really stop assuming. (Sep 10, 2010, 10:55 AM)

"So by your support . . . we can conclude that you would have the world bow down and submit to islam and their extremists. It certainly looks that way. (Sep 10, 2010, 10:57 AM)"

I don't know many people who can contradict themselves so thoroughly within 2 minutes. Your "logical flexibility" is commendable.

"So by your support . . . we can conclude that you would have the world bow down and submit to islam and their extremists. It certainly looks that way. (Sep 10, 2010, 10:57 AM)"

I don't know many people who can contradict themselves so thoroughly within 2 minutes. Your "logical flexibility" is commendable.

I don't know many people who can completely misinterpret the point so completely in one post and interjecting a non relevant sarcasm from a completely different tread topic. Are you vying for Hannity's job?

Yes, there are restrictions. Speech that causes direct, actual harm like libel/slander, perjury, death threats and assassination orders. Obviously there are contentious areas on the fringes there, but in general the principle is that your rights to swing your arm ends where my nose is. Their right not to be harmed by you overrides your right to do whatever you want.

However - while you do have the right not to be punched, you don't have the right not to get your feelings hurt. Therefore mandated respect for any institution, or any symbol of any institution (the koran, the bible, the Flag, the military, the government etc.) is unjustifiable and wrong, no matter how strongly the majority feels about it.

Added to which, true freedom of speech in Afghanistan would not make them into America. They have their own culture (as much of it as survived the Taliban era) which wouldn't dissapear overnight, but anyone who doesn't want to buy into it shouldn't have to.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

but in general the principle is that your rights to swing your arm ends where my nose is. Their right not to be harmed by you overrides your right to do whatever you want.

Physical harm is the easy one. There are restriciton on freedom of expression because the actions are deemed unaccetable by society. Nudity is an example of that.

Physical harm is the easy one. There are restriciton on freedom of expression because the actions are deemed unaccetable by society. Nudity is an example of that.

nudity isn't "expression", if someone thinks that, then they are idiots with a nonsensical axe to grind (and likely have ugly bodies too)

nudity is a clothing option

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>nudity isn't "expression", if someone thinks that, then they are idiots with
>a nonsensical axe to grind . . . .

When nudity is illegal, then going in public nude is often an expression of one's opinion on such laws.

When nudity is legal it's just a clothing option.

nudity is a clothing option

Clothing, or lack thereof, has been a very powerful form of expression throughout history.

which only highlights the idiocy of the performers and the observers

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

idiocy has nothing to do with whether it is a form of expression or not. Burning a book or flag is idiocy as well, but it is still a form of expression.

My basic point was that all countries, all societies put restrictions on freedoms of speech and freedoms of expression. Some very much more so than others', but that acting out of the belief that only the US has it right, is not the correct course of action.

Flame away for expressing the US is not perfect.

sure - I guess tonight I'll choose to cook with olive oil instead of butter.

Thus, I'm "expressing" myself. This is a FREE SPEECH issue.

Maybe not match my socks next week - OOOOOOOH, I'm really taking it to the 'man' now.

not sure about your last two sentences in this context, but I have no issues with them as they are obvious, so any disagreement you find with their general gist is just you constructing one - I'll flame if you like, but I won't really feel motivated about it. How about I just express myself by eating rice with a spoon?

(can you tell it's getting close to deciding on dinner?)

burning a book or a flag is just that - burning something. If someone wants to pretend they are making a statement, or if someone wants to infer a statement - meh. Whatever. As for me, I'll ask someone;

"hey, why ya burning that bible?"

he'll respond

"because I think religion sucks"
or "it's cold"
or "it makes pretty colors"

at that point, I'll take the words he stated directly as his "statement" anything up to that point is just him being obscure

If someone also states "I'm burning a bible next week to highlight man's inhumanity to man".....Didn't he just MAKE the statement? regardless of whether he follows through on the action to burn his property or not?

Language is direct and real - symbolism is the realm of lazy people that don't understand themselves or despise others

Flame away for expressing the US is not perfect.

The US is NOT perfecty by any means. It IS the closest the world has though,

Its all that "swirling"

This weekend, I'm going to burn as many copies of
GO, DOG, GO
as I can find. Join me on my journey.

My statement, by burning the books will be "Hey, I'm burning, Go, Dog, Go books"

However, anyone is welcome to assume any other unstated motives I have or motives they'd like to think I have to spark furious debate - or not.

I'm not sure yet, but I may do this naked as this is apparently very effective in getting out my message of "I'm burning Go, Dog, Go".

I'm expressing myself as follows by being naked ----- "Hey, I'm Naked"

However, I'll be assuming a few more things past the true expression -

1 - Hey, I'm Naked = Hey, pay attention to me
2 - Hey pay attention = you'll listen to what I have to say - perhaps if I also do a little dance
3 - As stated earlier, You'll listen to what I have to say = you'll hear/observe me expressing "I'm burning Go, Dog, Go"

4 - THEREFORE

Hey, I'm naked = "I'm burning Go, Dog, Go"

Which oddly enough, I could have just said in the first place.
Or, I could have figured you guys would figure it out when I lit the pile of the books.....

It's all very subtle - I hope the simple people get it, and their cats which they keep in a box.

have a great weekend - someone please bring a fire extinguisher - buring private property while naked is concerning, it's supposed to be a bit windy.

>I'm not sure yet, but I may do this naked as this is apparently very
>effective in getting out my message of "I'm burning Go, Dog, Go".

Now, do it naked while smoking pot and while refusing to sit in the back of the bus - and you'd have yourself a movement.

Now, do it naked while smoking pot and while refusing to sit in the back of the bus - and you'd have yourself a movement.

Actually you would have attempted arson, and disturbing the peace, and possession of a controlled substance.

>Actually you would have attempted arson, and disturbing the peace, and
>possession of a controlled substance.

Then mama pajama rolled out of bed
And she ran to the police station
When papa found out he began to shout
And he started the investigation
Its against the law
It was against the law
What the mama saw
It was against the law

Well in a couple a days gonna take you away
Cause the press let the story leak
Then the radical preacher comes to get you released
And you're all on the cover of Newsweek.

a movement in a bus is illegal - defecation in public is no-no pertaining to go-go

No laws to be broken here - the editions of Go, Dog, Go will all be my property