warpedskydiver

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

Wild boars are pretty nasty.

Large groups do not care if you have a firearm.

I once had an encounter with some Russian boars after we buried the trash.

They were very agressive.

We ate one the next day.

The FMJ we used on it were just passing through and only killed it on a CNS hit.

Our Mess Sgt. was very grateful to have such a fine meal to prepare for us.

The one we killed took 4 large men to move it just 300yds through the forest.

That provided enough meat to feed a battalion and there was enough for seconds.

(small battalion)

ours was just over 300 personnel.

not that we gorged, but we made sure there was enough for all.

We would have never eaten unless we could all have something.

It was nice to have a hot meal in our bellies.

had some wild boar not too long ago. Very tasty, but also relatively fatty.

No, didn't hunt for it, bought it at the Farmer's Market in Ottawa.

Are there boar in the bush in Ontario?

Seems so. Believe it or not, Ontario's Ministry of Agriculture actually has a web page specifically dedicated to "Ontario's Wild boar industry."

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/alternat/wildboar.htm

Your tax dollars at work.

had some wild boar not too long ago. Very tasty, but also relatively fatty.

No, didn't hunt for it, bought it at the Farmer's Market in Ottawa.

Are there boar in the bush in Ontario?

Seems so. Believe it or not, Ontario's Ministry of Agriculture actually has a web page specifically dedicated to "Ontario's Wild boar industry."

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/alternat/wildboar.htm

Your tax dollars at work.

Actually from that it seems that there are some on farms but not in the bush. Apparently they are found on one farm here in Alberta as well. I have never seen the meat for sale.

>You are mistaken that they could not seriously harm anyone older than 5.

You haven't seen our coyotes.

>All they do is bite the rear of your legs, you are then crippled and on the ground.

So could a chihuahua, but I'm not worried about them either.

>You obviously don't hunt.

And you obviously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to coyotes. You know what they say about assumptions.

Bill, the ones around my house are similar in size to the ones you describe, like a pretty small dog, I've seen foxes as large.

The one I ran over one night in the Sierra was quite a bit larger. Had I been in my Passat rather than BB's SUV, it might have gotten ugly. You can't tell from the picture, but this one probably weighed a bit over 40 pounds.

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

This undated promotional photo released by LW Communications shows Taylor Mitchell, 19. Tw...
By ROB GILLIES, AP
Thu Oct 29, 1:01 AM EDT

Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring to promote her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

___

On the Net:

Taylor Mitchell's Web site: http://www.taylormitchell.ca

http://www.myspace.com/taylormitchellband

I don't mean to make light of it, but when i first saw the link (i think it was on CNN when it first came out) - my first thought was that it was going to be a link to an Onion article.

Things are very regulated in National Parks. You stay on the roads and follow only certain trails. You can't have a dog. If you go into the back country you pre-plan your route. Only some are allowed on these trails. Some places are off limits.

And there is good reason for all that. There are some very dangerous critters in many National Parks. Grizzly bears are nothing to sneeze at. In the right circumstance mtn. lion can be dangerous too. Black bear are supposed to be timid too, but occaisionally one will try to eat you. I've heard of wolves trying to eat your horse and sometimes even people. Yes, a wolf attacking a person is rare, but so is a coyote attack.

You can go into the back country with a false sense of security. Chances are things will turn out fine. I've done this many, many times myself. But not any more. I don't care how smart a person is, there is that one time when you really need a weapon bad. It may be to save your life, or someone in your family.

A few years back my family and I went swimming in some natural hot springs up in Canada. No, we didn't have a gun or bear spray. We had a wonderful time.

A few months later a black bear came to this same spot and started killing and eating tourists. This bear would get someone down, and then he'd start eating on them before they were even dead. Some other tourists started throwing rocks and hitting it with clubs. Then the bear would take someone else down and start eating them.

Finally one guy ran 3/4 of a mile out to his truck, and grabbed a rifle. He ran all the way back and then killed the bear.

This bear was starving to death, and people provided an easy lunch for him. So, even a timid black bear can be very dangerous in the right circumstance.

Things are very regulated in National Parks. You stay on the roads and follow only certain trails. You can't have a dog. If you go into the back country you pre-plan your route. Only some are allowed on these trails. Some places are off limits.

And there is good reason for all that. There are some very dangerous critters in many National Parks. Grizzly bears are nothing to sneeze at. In the right circumstance mtn. lion can be dangerous too. Black bear are supposed to be timid too, but occaisionally one will try to eat you. I've heard of wolves trying to eat your horse and sometimes even people. Yes, a wolf attacking a person is rare, but so is a coyote attack.

You can go into the back country with a false sense of security. Chances are things will turn out fine. I've done this many, many times myself. But not any more. I don't care how smart a person is, there is that one time when you really need a weapon bad. It may be to save your life, or someone in your family.

A few years back my family and I went swimming in some natural hot springs up in Canada. No, we didn't have a gun or bear spray. We had a wonderful time.

A few months later a black bear came to this same spot and started killing and eating tourists. This bear would get someone down, and then he'd start eating on them before they were even dead. Some other tourists started throwing rocks and hitting it with clubs. Then the bear would take someone else down and start eating them.

Finally one guy ran 3/4 of a mile out to his truck, and grabbed a rifle. He ran all the way back and then killed the bear.

This bear was starving to death, and people provided an easy lunch for him. So, even a timid black bear can be very dangerous in the right circumstance.

Way too many people go into the woods/bush/surf believing themselves to be not part of the food chain. It's best to remember that nature can and will provide some interesting surprises and the smart monkeys that came down from their tree's and enter other creatures habitats had better plan accordingly.

I consider black bear to actually be more of a danger.

The problem is that they are often more familiar with humans and consider them as a source of food.

People seem to think they are cute, they could not be more wrong.

They are probably the leading bear species when it comes to attacking humans.

That is anywhere from 200-500lbs of nasty animal hell bent on an easy meal.

Way too many people go into the woods/bush/surf believing themselves to be not part of the food chain. It's best to remember that nature can and will provide some interesting surprises and the smart monkeys that came down from their tree's and enter other creatures habitats had better plan accordingly.

Yep. Like I did several times in Canada, preferably in the Algonquin PP, in my memory the "darkest" one. Having been in Canada for hunting few times, I asked a local ranger about dangers while hiking with a kid - my son was 9 y/o that time. His reply was that simple: Carry a whistle, do not leave pathway, you'll be fine. It was not.

In the beginning, we were about 5 ppl, after a longer trail of about 6 km, my little one and I were alone - that time, no problem for me at all. From the distance, I already saw our car in the parking area where we started (all is perfectly structured there) - my little boy started running as it was quite dark - rain was coming - I was behind him and then suddenly, there was this black bear mom with a cub only 2 or 3 meters from me down in the bush. Just yelling to my boy to enter the car (which I never lock somewhere in the nature), I just ran like a fool, completely horrified by the noise this black mom made close to my right ear. Running, jumping into the car, all was one movement. Mama bear stood there in surprise, she surely simply was disturbed.

Question: Why do they let million tourists walk into thier forests? It is NOT free of danger. I've been in Canada many times since then, never again with a kid. Never again alone w/o a gun. OK, I applied for hunting, which was OK.

Way too many people go into the woods/bush/surf believing themselves to be not part of the food chain.

Absolutely true. It's just luck, they experience.

:S

dudeist skydiver # 3105

We were fishing once up in Northern Saskatchewan. I helped a young Canadian unload his rubber boat. He was limping bad on one foot. I asked him what happened. He said that he had accidentally shot himself through the foot with a 22 the day before. Sure enough he had a bullet hole in the top of his shoe, and another hole coming out the sole of that shoe.

He was a tough bugger, and nothing was going to stop him from catching some lake trout that day.

At any rate, he said he grew up in that same area. Black bears were always getting into things. One day he was confronted by a black bear. Since his truck was close he decided to make a mad dash for it. The bear was right behind him. He jumped in and slammed the door. The bear made a big dent as it slammed into his door.

Yep, even a black bear can be dangerous.

I've hear many people say that you should fight back, if a black bear ever takes you down. (Rather than play dead). I'm not sure about which plan would be better, but I'd hate to find out.

I've skinned out a couple different black bear. The last one I shot at close range with a recurve. You wouldn't believe how powerfully built these animals are. Even a small black bear could nock the tar out of a measley human....

[

She was in a national park so, no, she was not carrying a gun.

I carry a gun everytime I enter a national park.

Are you afraid to go into a park? You know humans existed for along time before guns were invented.

Not afraid at all. I spend alot of time in the woods.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

Question: Why do they let million tourists walk into thier forests? It is NOT free of danger.

It's called "freedom".

If the government forbade every activity that was not free of danger, we would all never be allowed to leave our homes. And this web site would not exist.

Question: Why do they let million tourists walk into thier forests? It is NOT free of danger.

It's called "freedom".

If the government forbade every activity that was not free of danger, we would all never be allowed to leave our homes. And this web site would not exist.

Freedom? Why do you have red lights? Traffic signs? Speed limitations?

Your reply is BS.

;)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Since you can't discern any difference between choosing to go for a walk in a park, and running a red light in traffic, I will be unable to assist you with logical instruction to understand.

I agree. You are unable to assist me. As you walk armed into a NP as well as in the streets (with or w/o red lights).

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>Freedom? Why do you have red lights? Traffic signs? Speed limitations?

Not every place has coyotes. Not every road has red lights, traffic signs and speed limits.

If you like, you can remain in malls and be at very little risk for coyote attack. Or you can hike in a national forest and be at greater risk. If it's worth it to you, then go for it. If not, then that's OK too.

Since you can't discern any difference between choosing to go for a walk in a park, and running a red light in traffic, I will be unable to assist you with logical instruction to understand.

I agree. You are unable to assist me. As you walk armed into a NP as well as in the streets (with or w/o red lights).

We know the concept of self-protection is entirely foreign to you - too bad the concept of personal freedom is, as well.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706