warpedskydiver

Do you belive in reparations for slavery?

How do you vote?

I say no, for a multitude of reasons.

I say fine.

The only condition I put on it is that anyone applying for reparations be immediately stripped of US citizenship and sent to the point at which their forebears were placed into bondage - a minimum of one continent away.

If you think being in this country is such a bad thing, that dreadful circumstance should be corrected forthwith.

I am a little sick of group A), B) or C) bitching about how tough it is for them. If you want sympathy, I understand it may be found in your Funk and Wagnalls somewhere between "shit" and "syphilis."

Xin loi.

Winsor

Absolutely. I believe any person who was formerly held as a slave is entitled to reparations from the person who was their owner, equal to the market value of the labor that was taken from them during their slavery.

I think that any US citizen who can show that he was held as a slave ought to sue his former owner for the wages he (or she) deserves.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Absolutely. I believe any person who was formerly held as a slave is entitled to reparations from the person who was their owner, equal to the market value of the labor that was taken from them during their slavery.

I think that any US citizen who can show that he was held as a slave ought to sue his former owner for the wages he (or she) deserves.

What he said.

Hmm. Not so much to advocate, but to think this through... Let's see...
Now, a person's debts and accounts receivable are (usually) not extinguished with their death; those simply become the debts and A/Rs of their estate. And theoretically, a decedent's estate technically has an infinite duration. And a now-deceased slave's entitlement to reparations vested during the time of his slavery, which means that entitlement vested during his lifetime. So upon his death, that entitlement, being still unpaid, essentially became an ongoing A/R of his estate.

So... while it may be that a slave's great-great-great-grandchildren may not have standing to claim reparations for themselves, it may also be that the slave's estate does have standing to claim reparations on behalf of the estate.

YES I believe in reparations. Reparations means repairs.

Repair the things that are NOW broken in 2009, not the things that were broken in 1862.

+1
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Repair the things that are NOW broken in 2009, not the things that were broken in 1862.

Consider the interest earned on the vested A/R since 1862. A banker's wet dream.

Consider the interest earned on the vested A/R since 1862. A banker's wet dream.
Holy cow, it's a lawyer's wet dream, and for a bonus, just wait until each illegal immigrant is given amnesty and a lawyer to boot. ;)
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Nope.

The slaves and the slave owners are all dead now. Who can you pay reparations to? They're dead. Who can you sue? It was legal then.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

How do you vote?

No. I'm all for helping breaking the cycle of victimization and am willing to do a lot, but just handing out buckets of cash to people just isn't the way.

The problems today for some people may be rooted in slavery, but to my knowledge no person alive today was a US slave when it was legal. And while US may have been no better than South Africa only 50 years ago, we've come a LONG way since then. I'm not saying "we're even", not even close, but again, buckets of cash just isn't the way to fix what remains to be done.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Its funny how the fucking idiots who are unable to look more than one generation into the past in regards to what constitutes legitimate reparations/apologies/etc are the same fucking idiots who are the first to quote a declaration on a piece of paper from a long time ago when any other issue comes up.

that'll be a national healthcare service, a decent minimum wage and an end to the drug 'war' then :)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Its funny how the fucking idiots who are unable to look more than one generation into the past in regards to what constitutes legitimate reparations/apologies/etc are the same fucking idiots who are the first to quote a declaration on a piece of paper from a long time ago when any other issue comes up.

You're right. Why stop with one nation and just a few generations in the past? As a member of the human race, I hereby apologize for ALL of the misdeeds any human has ever done to another. For all of the Africans who sold their brothers into slavery, for slavery itself, and for Hitler's shenanigans, Vlad the impaler - HE was a nasty one. Oh and last but not least for Carl Sagan. I apologize to all the alien life forms for all those SETI radio waves that keep fucking up your tv signals. I think that about covers it.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

As a member of the human race, I hereby apologize for ALL of the misdeeds any human has ever done to another.

Funny thing is, if you go back far enough, probably all of us have had at least one ancestor that was a slave.

Which may be why everyone is now suing everyone else.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Moer importantly I think it is time to address reparations for the wrongs commited to the loyalists (Tories) during the revolution.
Thousands of United Empire Loyalists came north to the loyal colonies during the American Revolution. Most of them had been mistreated by the revolutionaries and even by the suceeding governments. They were often physically abused, many had lost their prime breadwinner. Virtually all of them had property taken in violation of the laws of both the old and new regimes.
Time to pay up Yankees! C'mon buck up!

How about reparations to the slave owners' families for being stripped of the properties that they purchased legally, once slavery was abolished?
How about reparations for more recent wrong-doings like the victims of japanese internment camps during WWII?
Fact is our history is full of misdeeds in which we took advantage of one or more groups of people. Our railways were built on the backs of several different groups of people who were taken advantage of, shall we repay them as well. Once you start where do you stop?

So... while it may be that a slave's great-great-great-grandchildren may not have standing to claim reparations for themselves, it may also be that the slave's estate does have standing to claim reparations on behalf of the estate.

Sure. And they're welcome to sue the former owner, or his estate, for the wages.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sure. And they're welcome to sue the former owner, or his estate, for the wages.

I imagine the damages claimed as a result of human enslavement would extend beyond mere "back wages".

In any event, some of those slave owners' assets can probably be traced to their own heirs' assets existing today. Imagine the seizure of those assets in execution and satisfaction of judgments. Lotta damned unhappy good ole boys, I dare say.

I imagine the damages claimed as a result of human enslavement would extend beyond mere "back wages".

In any event, some of those slave owners' assets can probably be traced to their own heirs' assets existing today. Imagine the seizure of those assets in execution and satisfaction of judgments. Lotta damned unhappy good ole boys, I dare say.

So?

I think that individual cases can be litigated at the discretion of the aggrieved parties, or their estates.

I see no reason why people whose families didn't even live in this country until after the civil war should be made to pay for anything.

Trace the actual grievance, and bring it forward, and have your day in court. That's a heck of a lot more fair than trying to establish some blanket "guilt" based on skin color, and extending to people whose ancestry obviously doesn't include any kind of gain from slavery.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com