bigbearfng

Not abortion-mandatory sterilization

The recent posts about abortion and all the unwanted kids made me want to throw out some things that have been stuck in my head for a while now....
And I'm genuinely interested if anyone else would be truly serious about it also.
And I realize that it would never be done in this society what with ACLU etc etc. but I digress.....
A couple cases are below but I put in the option "depends on severity of abuse"also. When kids are abused to the point that the parents go to jail and the kids go to CPS (or the morgue) I really would like to see lifetime mandatory sterilization of the parents implemented.
When you see the mother bring along her 12 yr old daughter because her dirtbag boyfriend wants a threesome with her, I just don't see that the mother should have anymore chances to do it again......
Or the 1 yr old's head is caved in on the kitchen counter because he wouldn't stop crying....
After seeing the hell that some of these kids go thru I can't help but wonder if abortion wouldn't have been the better option-but short of that at least keep these POS from having a chance to have another kid and do it again....

I'm really torn on this one. Although I would love the title of 'supreme dictator of reproductive rights' realistically, who gets to decide who does and doesn't deserve to reproduce? On the other hand, after reading the profiles of kids in foster care, the number of parents who pop one kid out after another only to have the state have to step in and care for them is truly sick. The one family was of drug dealers and when the babies/toddlers wouldn't sleep, they were drugged to the point of near OD with whatever was laying around to knock them out. Every one of their kids has serious permanent brain damage and zero chance of being anything at all in life.... MR, developmental delay, medical issues.... that's a family that deserves to have mandatory sterilization.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

The right to have children and raise them to your standards is so fundamental to the human condition, that I am not comfortable allowing the government to take it from anyone, ever.

I know very good people who others think should have their children taken away because they choose to raise them in non-traditional manners (for example, home schooling instead of sending them to public schools). I am very wary of allowing the group to dictate to parents on child-rearing. I understand that you are talking about cases of extreme abuse, but it seems that whenever the government is handed just a little bit of extra power, it pushes it to the extreme. Today, you sterilize child abusers, and in 100 years?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The right to have children and raise them to your standards is so fundamental to the human condition, that I am not comfortable allowing the government to take it from anyone, ever.

What about the right of a child to have loving parents?

Today, you sterilize child abusers, and in 100 years?

anyone who has it in them to abuse children has been evolved out of the gene pool:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

like tom said, its not a power that the government should ever have. one flaw with this idea is that by the time we realize someone should be sterilized, the've already reproduced and its too late. the legal process would also be too expensive. you would be further ahead by payng people to be sterilized by their own choice. this way maybe you would a lot of dirtbags before they start shitting out kids.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

like tom said, its not a power that the government should ever have. one flaw with this idea is that by the time we realize someone should be sterilized, the've already reproduced and its too late. the legal process would also be too expensive. you would be further ahead by payng people to be sterilized by their own choice. this way maybe you would a lot of dirtbags before they start shitting out kids.

Granted giving the govt this power would have the potential for abuse-that's a given.
I do like the idea of offering to pay them!!!! And as for it's too late-I'm not talking "pre-cog" just that they've already proven once that they could give a shit about actually looking after a kid.

I'm actually suprised that this feeling is coming thru so much here.
I guess you'd have to sit down and read a couple years worth of cases from CAC (Crimes Against Children) to relate a bit more........

Here's where having everyone reversibly sterilized at birth, and then making the reversal procedure free, would be good.

The truly lazy wouldn't bother to go through the reversal.

No, it doesn't exist, but one can always dream.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>No, but the perpetrators in cases of extreme child abuse should end up in jail for
>life, so they can no longer reproduce, therefore making sterilization a non-issue.

I'd give them the choice. For nonviolent abuse, give them the choice between a long jail sentence or sterilization.

>What is "non-violent abuse"?

Planning a 3-way with your 12 year old daughter.
Being so neglectful that you leave your six month old child outside at night.
Things like that.

>Do you have some theory that sterilization would reduce their recidivism rates?

No, it would just reduce their opportunity to abuse additional children.

...you would be further ahead by paying people to be sterilized by their own choice. this way maybe you would a lot of dirtbags before they start shitting out kids.

A good place to start would be to invoke a policy whereby anyone, male of female, putting a hand out for gov't assistance/aid would be req'd to get a birth control shot or undergo reversable sterilization. If you can't support yourself, how the hell can you realistically support a child? In a generation, we can go a long way's toward breaking the cycle of poverty and welfare addiction.

Why is it that we need a license to drive a car, catch a fish, shoot a duck, own a gun (let's not get technical on the gun thingy, ok?), or any number of other activities.... but with a major life commitment like "reproducing" is limited only to those who can figure out how to drop their knickers?
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

:S Jeeze, you're a hairs breath away from advocating selective breeding.... a very... very slipper slope.

NO ONE has the right to say who can and who can not have kids [FULL STOP]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

NO ONE has the right to say who can and who can not have kids [FULL STOP]

Why shouldn't someone have the right to say who can and who can not have kids if that someone has to support the kids?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Those [should] be 2 different arguments... If you don't like paying for them? Then don't.. remove funding and let everyone know upfront that, that is the case.

Shropshire for president

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

:S Jeeze, you're a hairs breath away from advocating selective breeding.... a very... very slipper slope.

And abortion on demand isn't? Especially with the 'designer baby' stuff going on now?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Those [should] be 2 different arguments... If you don't like paying for them? Then don't.. remove funding and let everyone know upfront that, that is the case.

Shropshire for president

Piss taking b'stard:P

(.)Y(.)

And abortion on demand isn't? Especially with the 'designer baby' stuff going on now?

Not if I understand what you mean by Abortion on Demand... If that's at the request and permission of the owner of the body (the Mom) then that's her choice... Selective breeding implies (to my mind) external influence and not the ladys' choice at all.

If that's the case, apples and oranges Mike.

(.)Y(.)