Andy9o8

Survey: Church-goers more likely to support torture

So now we finally have the answer to "What would Jesus do?"
He'd rip out their fingernails!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/30/religion.torture/index.html

Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new survey.

I'd guess that if you believe that your religion is the only truth then its that much easier to see people of other religions as already damned and lost. so whats a little torture compared to what the unbelievers are going to get when they die anyway?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Clearly, waterboarding has produced some positive results for the Japanese, Chinese as well as our GWOT. So it is a time tested method for obtaining needed info. It is time consuming however.

In the past we have obtained good results from the "two friends in a helicopter ride" and the Jack Bauer favorite of shooting the suspect in the kneecap. If that does not produce the necessary intel, shoot the other kneecap. If still no intel, double tap the cranium and move on to the next subject.

I think church-goers are most likely to understand that evil exists in the world. Simply put, evil people don't respond honestly to invitations with milk and cookies. ;)

Just my $0.02.

Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>and the Jack Bauer favorite of shooting the suspect in the kneecap.

Apparently the Jack Bauer method of killing his family in front of him works a lot better, and stops the ticking atomic bomb in time. Perhaps the kinder/gentler method of just raping them one by one until he talks would be a better fit for churchgoers, though.

Clearly, waterboarding has produced some positive results for the Japanese, Chinese as well as our GWOT. So it is a time tested method for obtaining needed info. It is time consuming however.

In the past we have obtained good results from the "two friends in a helicopter ride" and the Jack Bauer favorite of shooting the suspect in the kneecap. If that does not produce the necessary intel, shoot the other kneecap. If still no intel, double tap the cranium and move on to the next subject.

I think church-goers are most likely to understand that evil exists in the world. Simply put, evil people don't respond honestly to invitations with milk and cookies. ;)

Just my $0.02.

So I take it you have no problem with enemies of the US torturing US servicemen.

I'm dissapointed in all of you....including the Christians who support torture.

You're all the same.:|

Why? What I said is true. it doesn't matter if you're a Christian extremist, Zionist or Islamist, if you believe that the others are less deserving of Gods love and are hellward bound its easier to justify poor tretment of them. Wether that be torturing them in a CIA black prison, breaking their arms with rocks or cutting their heads off with a kitchen knife.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

But the introduction of Christianity was not always so easy. Snorre tells us repeatedly that those who were not willing to accept baptism were threatened with the loss of their lives, their limbs and their property. Because of Olav's mission with the sword, many doubt his holiness. This provides them with evidence for the view that Olav was the opposite of a saint: he was a cruel man.http://www.katolsk.no/biografi/olav/eng_07.htm

All over the world we can follow how the countries became christian. Even up today South Amercian tribes have been threatened by missionaries supported by big cooperatives to turn over from old rituals.

In the past we have obtained good results from the "two friends in a helicopter ride"...

Oh, man, you just brought back some memories of what a 'Nam vet told me years ago.
The version of the helicopter ride he told me was somewhat humorous, but the other technique he told me about was worse than anything I've heard since, and I'll never repeat it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>and the Jack Bauer favorite of shooting the suspect in the kneecap.

Apparently the Jack Bauer method of killing his family in front of him works a lot better, and stops the ticking atomic bomb in time. Perhaps the kinder/gentler method of just raping them one by one until he talks would be a better fit for churchgoers, though.

Liberals write, produce and act out 24. It appears they have enbraced torture as a means to an end.

In the past we have obtained good results from the "two friends in a helicopter ride"...

Oh, man, you just brought back some memories of what a 'Nam vet told me years ago.
The version of the helicopter ride he told me was somewhat humorous, but the other technique he told me about was worse than anything I've heard since, and I'll never repeat it.

My sister in law's Grandfather who by the way passed away two weeks ago was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. There were no Christians involved in the torture they endured as POWs.

My sister in law's Grandfather who by the way passed away two weeks ago was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. There were no Christians involved in the torture they endured as POWs.

But as long as it is effective at least some of the time there is no moral problem with that.

C'mon Channing -- the original comment was just as silly and tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure there have been conservatives who have worked on movies that were positive about liberals, too.

Let's not conflate movies with reality. And the Bataan Death March was a great example of why none of us should ever go there. It lessens everyone involved.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

C'mon Channing -- the original comment was just as silly and tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure there have been conservatives who have worked on movies that were positive about liberals, too.

Let's not conflate movies with reality. And the Bataan Death March was a great example of why none of us should ever go there. It lessens everyone involved.

> OK, your right, I'm out of line. Next time you see me you can kick me in the butt during my exit.

Not only is that assertion not clear, evidence suggests there is little to no truth in it at all.

The general consensus among experienced interrogators is that torture, including water boarding, is not an effective way to obtain reliable intelligence.

The real world is nothing like 24, so we really needn't worry about what Jack Bauer would do. He'll do whatever the writers think will maximize total viewers.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Not only is that assertion not clear, evidence suggests there is little to no truth in it at all.

Evidence apparently substantiates that waterboarding revealed the plan for a terrorist attack on Los Angeles following 9/11 and it was successfully neutralized.;)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Evidence apparently substantiates that waterboarding revealed the plan for a terrorist attack on Los Angeles following 9/11 and it was successfully neutralized.;)

Actually, no, the evidence doesn't substantiate that claim. The evidence suggests information that came off of the laptop of a particular detainee, who was subjected to water boarding, was found to be quite valuable, producing a lot of good intelligence.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>The evidence suggests information that came off of the laptop of
>a particular detainee, who was subjected to water boarding, was found to
>be quite valuable, producing a lot of good intelligence.

So waterboard all terrorist laptops. Case closed.

Torture = unreliable information....

If you go back to Fri, Oct 13th 1307, Philip IV convinced the Catholic Church... That the knights templar wore worshiping false gods, having homosexual acts and many more things on the list... The king felt he was losing power so they had to get rid of this group... They tortured the templars for many of days before finally getting alot of false information and false confessions... After they got the information they wanted they burned the templars at the stake..... All backed by and partially funded by the church.... So for many years now torture hasnt been effective in getting useful info and the government main reason in war is the thought of losing power....

Torture = unreliable information....

If you go back to Fri, Oct 13th 1307, Philip IV convinced the Catholic Church... That the knights templar wore worshiping false gods, having homosexual acts and many more things on the list... The king felt he was losing power so they had to get rid of this group... They tortured the templars for many of days before finally getting alot of false information and false confessions... After they got the information they wanted they burned the templars at the stake..... All backed by and partially funded by the church.... So for many years now torture hasnt been effective in getting useful info and the government main reason in war is the thought of losing power....

Don't forget the Inquisition. Christianity is no stranger to torture.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.