TomAiello

Question for Gun Enthusiasts

I think I would probably lean toward the 9mm, but now Tom has me paranoid about the possibility of not having full capacity magazines, which seems kinda silly since just a moment ago I was only considering the entire thing as a vague possibility.

The best way to choose a firearm is to actually get some time on them. If you have a friend who has one, borrow it and take it to the range. If not, you can usually find a big gun store with an attached range that has many popular models available for rental. If you're ever in SLC or Boise, check out these guys, for example.

Or you could enlist in a combat arms MOS in the armed services.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

.50 BMG. Before I got caught up in moving (to Kalifornia for now, yuck) I thought the Serbu guns with Walther barrels were nice and affordable.

I've been looking into something like that, too. Not sure it's too high on my priority list, though, because the one's I like all tend to be bolt action (or single shot) and I don't think that's going to be banned. Even the semi-autos with 10 round mags aren't probably up for banning real soon.

Gun bans are about the intersection of what scares ignorant people (All .50 BMGs fall into this category as guns with a mile range that go through armor) and what has limited use/support among "mainstream" sporting firearms owners (at a couple thousand for the gun, dollars a round, and even .223 staying supersonic out to 1000 yards with heavy VLD bullets .50 BMG qualifies).

Based on historic precedent, I'd expect the next national gun bans being

1. "Questionable" imported guns. A "sporting purposes" test is applied to imports. BATF gets to define sporting purposes, with BATF being part of the Treasury Department of the Executive Branch serving at the president's pleasure. The 1989 import ban came from a Bush 41 executive order. The single stack mess is an executive order. Note that this also applies to domestic guns built from imported pieces due to the 10 components law.

2. Sport utility guns

3. Regular capacity magazines

4. .50 BMG of all persuasions even single shot. Maybe a blanket ban on rifle calibers bigger than .458" groove diameter so .458 Magnum and .460 Weatherby are OK for "sportsmen" The smartest thing here might be to redefine "Destructive Deviice" to relflect the groove dimaeter OR case volume beyond xx cubic centimeters.

5. Concealable hand guns (they have a _lot_ more proponents than big rifles, but see #1).

For instance the Sig 22x series of handguns. Great weapons, accurate, reliable, tough...I don't personally like them. Why? They don't fit my hands very well.

I'm sure you have, but have you tried putting on some good grips? I always had trouble with my old Beretta until I put on a Hogue grip (the rubber wrap around one with the finger grooves), and that totally changed the feel of it. The Sig P232 (the little one) actually comes from the factory with a similar grip now, and I really like the feel of the grip on the P229 (which, to be fair, fit my hand very well with the stock grips, anyway).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Its almost as bad as having a ninja attack you.

That made me laugh. :D There was an episode of Reno 911, where they were trying to apprehend a guy waving a samurai sword around. And he yells out,"I'm the last samurai on this block".
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

If you can buy a silencer now, then you might as well. Get with your FFL and buy the tax stamp to go with it. You're right, tax stamps lead to paper trails. So do new gun purchases. There is concerned talk among the LEO community that they may be required to violate people's second amendment rights and confiscate legal firearms. Many have said they will walk away from their careers if that occurs!

The good thing here is that Barack is smart. He's going to look at what's been historically "successful" without getting the Democrats thrown out.

A ban on new sales is most likely, followed by a ban on all transfers, and then a ban on transfers plus registration of "offending/viable" guns like the "Street Sweeper" shotgun ban.

Some anti-Bill of Rights people have proposed bans on all "military calibers." That pretty much includes every caliber made, but the things I have read include "popular" military calibers like .45ACP, 9mm, .223, etc. I think you'll see a significant rise in values of quality weapons like top-manufactured 1911s and AR-15s.

That's not going to fly with 9mm, .223, and .45 ACP being obscenely popular.

Tom, seriously though, do you really *need* a reason to buy something that will not only hold its value, typically gain value and provides hours upon hours of enjoyment?

It's about priorities. I could spend $X,000 on guns this year. What do I buy first?

Just a thought. Another way to pick-up desirable semi-auto handguns is to buy LE trade-ins. I bought both of my P220s for less than what one new one would cost.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Great thread!

(c) I'm a cantankerous son of a bitch, and the best way to make sure I want something is to tell me I can't have it

:D I can relate. :)
I happen to know someone very well who could have easily written your first two posts in this thread.

Never do know where in the world he is, but I'll drop him a line this morning.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

The good thing here is that Barack is smart. He's going to look at what's been historically "successful" without getting the Democrats thrown out.

It can be argued the federal assault weapons ban of the 90's is what lost the dems control of congress. I agree Barack is smart and will likely not attempt any sort of federal ban, however, I would not say the same about Congress.

And as far as anyone who thinks there are bigger fish to fry....did we forget about how involved the senate got with MLB and steroid use? Also they tried to get involved when Bellicheat was caught cheating. Do not underestimate the stupidity of our Congressmen.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Is it possible, do you think, that the NRA and gun manufacturers put this sort of spin/rumor out there just to whip people into a frenzy and sell more guns?

The gun industry is too small to drive this sort of buying frenzy. The NRA might play a small part, but I think the surge in sales this month is driven more out of fear of the worst case scenarios that aren't all too probable.

The Democrats probably could get the 94' AWB renewed if they really wanted to. But it would be messy, and now they have to explain why, given that it didn't help matters, and when it sunsetted, nothing changed for the worse.

But what does it gain them? When you look at the mix of seats in the Senate up for reelection in 2010 (more GOP), they have another shot at 60, so why fuck with that opportunity with this wedge issue? And since 2012 is a tough reelection given the economy, do you even want to try it then?

I'd say it's a very low probability that anything happens in the next Congressional term. If in 2011 the economy is doing alright, Obama is popular, and the Senate is still at least upper 50s for the Democrats, there is a moderate probability that the gun nuts like the Brady fucks will get some of their agenda on the floor. And any change will happen slowly, with plenty of warning to make purchases (though the legislation may drive prices up or down while in debate).

Obama, like his predecessor, has talked about uniting, not dividing. This proved to be bullshit with Bush, but at least while the economy sucks, I think will be true for him. Pelosi has also so far been reluctant to swing the power around.

Reading the recent trends, if you wanted to and had the cash for a .50, you might want to go ahead. Even Arnold signed that ban in California. Certainly the suggestion to get regular capacity mags (of quality, not just to get them) is right.

The NRA-ILA may want to drive the subject by staying on the attack in the aftermath of Heller. Keep Brady focused on DC/Chicago/SF suits and they can't do much more. (I wonder how Soros has been making out in the market plunge)

Is it possible, do you think, that the NRA and gun manufacturers put this sort of spin/rumor out there just to whip people into a frenzy and sell more guns?

The gun industry is too small to drive this sort of buying frenzy.

Uh . . . I think you misunderestimate the power of words. Size doesn't matter; a willing audience is all that matters.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The gun industry is too small to drive this sort of buying frenzy.

Uh . . . I think you misunderestimate the power of words. Size doesn't matter; a willing audience is all that matters.

How much advertizing from gun makers do you see? I don't think I've ever see any, outside of the NRA magazines. And if you're getting that, you're already getting that message in the election literature.

The entire industry might do 2 or 3B in civilian sales each year. It has less influence than Staples.

How much advertizing from gun makers do you see?

Marketing is more than print advertising.

Word of mouth is actually the most effective form of advertising there is. All it takes to start it is a rumor.
quade -

You all must feel safe over there with every one owning hand guns.. hang on the USA has one of the worst murder rates in the civilised world. Whats wrong with Australia we should allow hand guns so our murder rate can catch up. Yeah every time a bar fight breaks out some one can pull a gun.. or every time there is a car accident some one can pull a gun.. yeah the Police can pull over road users at gun point for a minor traffic violation. Whats wrong with us we should become more like you. We could even have an NRA that threatens every polictican who dare to think about introducing gun control laws.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

You all must feel safe over there with every one owning hand guns.. hang on the USA has one of the worst murder rates in the civilised world. Whats wrong with Australia we should allow hand guns so our murder rate can catch up. Yeah every time a bar fight breaks out some one can pull a gun.. or every time there is a car accident some one can pull a gun.. yeah the Police can pull over road users at gun point for a minor traffic violation. Whats wrong with us we should become more like you. We could even have an NRA that threatens every polictican who dare to think about introducing gun control laws.

lol that's funny. Thanks for the laugh.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

We could even have an NRA that threatens every polictican who dare to think about introducing gun control laws.

Uh . . . that's already what they do. The NRA is one of the most powerful lobbies in the US. It's far smaller in membership than a lot of organizations too which means per capita it's by far the most powerful.
quade -

I am actually planning on buying an AR-15 and an AK-47, with lot's of rounds for those guns and my other guns! If my linc. gets approved before the shit hits the fan then i plan on getting a M-4 with a suppressor and a few more attachments also.;)

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

My first thought was to purchase a set of AK-47's and a few thousand rounds of ammo.

My source concurs. :)
He also adds (probably not news to any gun enthusiast) gun shows are the best place to acquire almost anything from private individuals (no records).

Everything he owns (also kept in a locked-down bolted safe) has appreciated in value and worth more than he paid originally.

Tom, thinking of your grandkids is a nice idea, imo. (Unless come to find out they're not into guns, much like I keep telling my mom I do not want her china.) My friend has a 58-year-old model 50 Winchester Automatic 12-gauge he just had completely refurbished. I don't know what that is, but he says it's beautiful. :P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

You would be surprised how many friends of mine have come to me over the past week for advice in regards to weapons purchases. If we got credit for referrals then I would be set UP!

I can't wait to get my friends out to the range so we can have a really good time setting up scenario shoots.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yeah I know I have seen Michael Moores film. I actually do not have a problem with law abiding people having guns for self defence but how do you stop the idiots or hotheads from getting them. I carry a handgun whilst working in Aust (security for Police) I would like to have one when travelling home on the train late at night etc but if everyone has one any little fight could turn into the OK Corale. Handguns have always been banned here now rifles and shotguns unless you have a very good reason and strict storage controls. We can not even buy pepper spray or asp batons. Knives are our biggest problem. So actually I am confused the USA argument is you have aright to self defense but the murder rate is far worse than ours (per head) and yet with our laws people are basically defencesless. hard question I do know the fine folk in the USA will never give up their arms... and the policticians here will never allow hand guns here. Who is right I just do not know.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

yeah I know I have seen Michael Moores film. I actually do not have a problem with law abiding people having guns for self defence but how do you stop the idiots or hotheads from getting them.

Personally, I don't care if the idiots and hotheads can get guns.

Even if I had an average chance of being black, in a youth gang, involved in the drug trade, and in a love triangle I'd be more likely to be killed by a drunk driver.

Just being white (but still with an average chance of joining the Crips or Bloods) means I'm about three times as likely to be killed by a drunk driver as I am being murdered with a gun.

If the government is going to protect people from each other, I'd like to see strict drunk-driving laws, limits on alchol purchases, and restrictions on cars weighing over 3,500 pounds before guns since all that will be more likely to keep me alive.

If they want to protect us from ourselves, more people commit suicide slowly with artery clogging fast food and cancer causing tobacco than firearms. Waiting periods on Big Macs and Marlboros would do more for public health than waiting periods on guns.

but if everyone has one any little fight could turn into the OK Corale.

It doesn't. In most cases criminals switch from confrontational crimes to simple crimes against property. Where confrontation occurs, merely brandishing the firearm is enough to stop hostilities. Barely 600 justified homicides occur each year in the United States and there are few (on the order of 1000) accidental shootings compared to other problems (many times that are poisoned by household chemicals).

The big thing is that people resisting with handguns sustain fewer injuries than when they don't resist, offer unarmed resistance, or resist with any other weapon.

So actually I am confused the USA argument is you have aright to self defense but the murder rate is far worse than ours (per head) and yet with our laws people are basically defencesless.

It's not. Although our black residents kill each other too often the white people don't. Seattle's murder rate among the white population is lower than across the border in Vancouver, although in Seattle any law abiding citizen can cary a gun and in Vancouver they can't buy handguns.

hard question I do know the fine folk in the USA will never give up their arms... and the policticians here will never allow hand guns here. Who is right I just do not know.

We are.

Although internationally there is no relationshp between legal gun ownership and murder rate (switzerland: high gun ownership, unusually low murder rate. jamaica: almost no legal gun ownership and one of the world's highest murder rates. japan: low gun ownership, low murder rate) increases in gun control almost always correlate to higher violent crime rates. Increases in concealed cary permits preceed a shift from crimes against people to non-confrontational crimes and reduced violent crime rates.

In California I can't carry a gun legally. Since my first responsibility is to my wife and step children, I didn't risk my own safety when I saw a woman being harassed by a crazy person although I would have called the police on my cell phone if it got too out of hand so he could have only gone at her for a few minutes. As the guy was leaving one of the other people said that the dude had grabbed her has (which would be a form of sexual assault) but none of the bystanders had done anything. Where only the criminals are armed the risk of inervention is high and you have to look after your family and self first.