TomAiello

Question for Gun Enthusiasts

yeah I know I have seen Michael Moores film. I actually do not have a problem with law abiding people having guns for self defence but how do you stop the idiots or hotheads from getting them. I carry a handgun whilst working in Aust (security for Police) I would like to have one when travelling home on the train late at night etc but if everyone has one any little fight could turn into the OK Corale. Handguns have always been banned here now rifles and shotguns unless you have a very good reason and strict storage controls. We can not even buy pepper spray or asp batons. Knives are our biggest problem. So actually I am confused the USA argument is you have aright to self defense but the murder rate is far worse than ours (per head) and yet with our laws people are basically defencesless. hard question I do know the fine folk in the USA will never give up their arms... and the policticians here will never allow hand guns here. Who is right I just do not know.

Que? handguns have always been banned here? I dont think so......concealed carry for the masses is banned but you only need to get licenced to have a handgun.

Tom, the SIG 556 is a quality item. I lived in Swissyland for 4 years and shot them regularly. Very accurate out to 300meters, and commonly used for competitions at that distance. Dont know anything about the US version. Had to sell of all my semi autos when I moved back to Oz, very sad......
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

oh and I thought you might find this interesting. ;)

sounds dramtic but its off a very low base , crime rate in OZ is more like UK, Canada. Europe.....and we culturally havent had high rates of gun ownership in any case, so the bans didnt actually remove a lot of CC or home defense weapons. It did drive the bad guys further underground though.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Suppressors are cool...But, not a really good investment. The transfer tax is often half to equal the cost of the item.

NFA items are registered. But since 1934 only two have been used in the commission of a crime. I do not see the Huges Amendment going away, but I do not see much more regulations on NFA items.

Your biggest bang for your buck will be popular "assault" style weapons. AKs and ARs. High cap mags went from 10 bucks to 100 bucks in 94.

I would get some AK's and ARs if you are trying to make a buck. An NFA Mac 10 is always a good investment. New they were less than 200, right now they sell for around 3k.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Or, I guess, to think you can't have it in the future. Aren't gun bans kinda on the back burner as far as stated priorities of this next Administration? I just don't see where anything that has been said justifies this line of thought. Can you point me to something?

His own website when he was running:

http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/urban_policy/

They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm amazed at the population that believes simply passing laws will make these issues go away.

Given the death penalty for murder - we still have murderers.
Mandatory jail time for drug offenses - our prisons continue to fill up.
Illegal for convicted felons that have not had their rights restored to possess weapons - they still have illegal guns on the streets.

Laws are not going to stop the problem with illegal guns on our streets. They will simply add money and hurdles to legal ownership.
:S

Given the death penalty for murder - we still have murderers

And we will no matter what laws are passed. One book I read said that the death penalty does not work since it takes so long. You were more likely to die on the street in Chicago than on TX's death row. Of course there is no good solution to speed things up and not increase the chances of wrongful execution.

Illegal for convicted felons that have not had their rights restored to possess weapons - they still have illegal guns on the streets.

Just look at making drugs illegal and how well that worked, or how prohibition worked.

Yet people still think making something illegal will have any real effect?

And the things they target. The AWB made illegal weapons that were used in LESS than 4% of crimes. The Huges Amendment made it illegal to make Machine Guns...But legal Machine Guns have been used in TWO crimes in 74 years.

It is pretty clear that all of this is based on emotion, not on facts.