kallend

Seeing Russia from Alaska

Two of the craziest comments I've read are yours and MikeF's equally absurd rationale that being the point of entry for an invasion ...blah, blah, blah.

No, what is absurd is you think that it is not a strategic point. If it is not, then explain why we have four military bases and a offensive/defensive missile system in the middle of nowhere?

Who gives a shit?

Clearly our military that protects us.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

As to "rhetoric” she does a speech as well if not better than Obama and there is little doubt her impromptu abilities are better

That's just funny. She is nowhere close to the public speaker that Obama is. If she has such great impromptu abilities, why isn't she allowed to talk with the press except under very controlled conditions?

Leave it to an Obama supporter to say "size counts"

Yes, when an inexperienced pageant queen is promoted as being an experienced executive based on her small town mayor experience and her short stint as the governor of a state with a population smaller than many US cities, it is appropriate to consider the size of the populations which she governed.

Well please, if you do not want to ruin your oh most high view of Obama, please please do not allow yourself to compare what Obama and Palin have said about Pakistan, Iran, Iraq and Georgeia (the Russia invation) I am not sure you could live with yourself!

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>So pull your head out of your ideologically constipated ass and think of your
>country for a change!!

Your one warning.

Quite right. I apologize for my unwarranted assumption regarding his constipation.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

>So pull your head out of your ideologically constipated ass and think of your
>country for a change!!

Your one warning.

Quite right. I apologize for my unwarranted assumption regarding his constipation.

See ya:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I never said you did - hence my comment of "since it seems to SUDDENLY be such a KEY issue", above.

Fair enough. It's suddenly a key issue because Palin decided to claim that Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience. Of course, most intelligent Americans understand that such proximity doesn't matter, since it is the role of the federal government, not the state governments, to interact with other nation-states.

Yeah, except for the corporations that were forced overseas.

Sure, they were forced. :S

And the tech 'bubble'.

Sure, it was Clinton's fault a new industry was popular among investors and they over estimated future values of tech companies. :S

And the WTC.

Of course that was Clinton's fault also. Never mind that it happened it happened barely a month into his first term. At least he went after those responsible, and saw many of them prosecuted without killing thousands of additional people in the process.

And the USS Cole. And the embassies in Africa. And Khobar Towers.

Yeah, the mujahideen organizations weren't happy about Clinton cutting off their US funding. What the fuck were Carter/Reagan/Bush thinking by giving jihadist terrorist organizations funding anyway? Oh wait, that's right, the USSR was fighting the mujahideen groups in Afghanistan, so we had to throw our support behind the freedom fighters terrorists. What could possibly be the harm?

And Ruby Ridge.

Of course Ruby Ridge was Clinton's fault. After all, he was campaigning for POTUS. Never mind that he hadn't yet been elected. :S

And Waco. And OKC.

Yep, Waco was handled poorly. Of course, the stage was set before Clinton took office. Unfortunately, McVeigh was motivated because of Waco.

But other than that, it was all just puppies and butterflies, right?

Remind us again, before Clinton, who was the last president to oversee three consecutive years of budget surpluses (plus W's first year with a budget signed by Clinton. When was the last time the Dow Jones Industrial Average nearly tripled during a single president's tenure?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Fair enough. It's suddenly a key issue because Palin decided to claim that Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience. Of course, most intelligent Americans understand that such proximity doesn't matter, since it is the role of the federal government, not the state governments, to interact with other nation-states.

This argument is getting old. Here's the trascript one more time. Sounds to me like Gibson said 'proximity of the state.' Then she gave an example of how small the world is and how important it is that we have mutually beneficial relationships.

It doesn't matter how you interpret the words, nowhere in there did she says "seeing Russia from Alaska gives me foreign policy experience."

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They’re our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

GIBSON: What insight does that give you into what they’re doing in Georgia?

PALIN: Well, I’m giving you that perspective of how small our world is and how important it is that we work with our allies to keep good relation with all of these countries, especially Russia. We will not repeat a Cold War. We must have good relationship with our allies, pressuring, also, helping us to remind Russia that it’s in their benefit, also, a mutually beneficial relationship for us all to be getting along.

We cannot repeat the Cold War. We are thankful that, under Reagan, we won the Cold War, without a shot fired, also. We’ve learned lessons from that in our relationship with Russia, previously the Soviet Union.

We will not repeat a Cold War. We must have good relationship with our allies, pressuring, also, helping us to remind Russia that it’s in their benefit, also, a mutually beneficial relationship for us all to be getting along.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

This argument is getting old. Here's the trascript one more time. Sounds to me like Gibson said 'proximity of the state.' Then she gave an example of how small the world is and how important it is that we have mutually beneficial relationships.

It doesn't matter how you interpret the words, nowhere in there did she says "seeing Russia from Alaska gives me foreign policy experience."

You're right. It appears that it was McCain who suggested that Alaska's proximity to Russia qualifies her w/r/t foreign policy.

Gibson: When I asked John McCain about your national security credentials, he cited the fact that you have commanded the Alaskan National Guard and that Alaska is close to Russia. Are those sufficient credentials?

Palin did, however, fail to answer Gibson's question.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

There is one and only one reason why Gov Palin was selected to be VP nominee.

And it's the same reason why every single other VP running-mate in recent memory has been selected.

Because..she..fit..the..profile..of..the..moment.

There are many variables, and she simply fit it the best to make the best ticket for winning. To watch MY PARTY (gop) scurry and stammer through ridiculous rationalizations defending and explaining the decision using every contrived reason other than the above is just silly at best.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

Video of Sarah Palin answering press questions regarding her extensive foreign policy experience as governor of Alaska.

It's very important when you consider even national-security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right next to, they are right next to our state.

...... :S

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

>It's very important when you consider even national-security issues with
>Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the
>United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right
>over the border.

Well, hell! I should throw my hat in the ring. I have seen Mexico from altitude thousands of time. Heck, I even landed there a few times! I've eaten burritos in Tijuana, seen maqiladoras in Juarez - and I even drink Pacifico on occasion. I have ten times the foreign policy experience that Palin does, and I therefore know all about immigration, cross-border pollution and NAFTA issues. After all - I've SEEN it! A LOT!

>It's very important when you consider even national-security issues with
>Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the
>United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right
>over the border.

Well, hell! I should throw my hat in the ring. I have seen Mexico from altitude thousands of time. Heck, I even landed there a few times! I've eaten burritos in Tijuana, seen maqiladoras in Juarez - and I even drink Pacifico on occasion. I have ten times the foreign policy experience that Palin does, and I therefore know all about immigration, cross-border pollution and NAFTA issues. After all - I've SEEN it! A LOT!

Hey. Did you negotiate. I got my shoes shined whilst eating tacos the last time i was in TJ. You HAVE to negotiate. The hookers. Well. I won't go there. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

yeah it was bad... All she really has to say is that yeah I've never been to Russia and never met russian leaders, but you know what! I know this this and that about foreign relations topics with Russia and here would be an example of what I would do as Vice-President.

Instead she spews this other nonsense, probably because she has a dozen or so GOP aides leading her on and letting her be intellectually dishonest.

Every election cycle I feel that America is getting more and more polarized between the left and right. However, I think that most normal people can easily agree on many important issues as long as battle lines aren't drawn.

People tend to just sharpshoot and divide each other whenever something turns into a us vs. them contest.

There is no room in America for a far left and far right. its destroying our nation.

There is no room in America for a far left and far right. its destroying our nation.

Actually, I think America is certainly big enough for ALL opinions. That is after all what our First Amendment is all about.

While I do think that the media tends to focus on the extremes, we are at heart a nation of centrists. It's a bell shaped curve and while the clapper may strike on the edges to make the biggest noise, it's the center that is holding the whole thing together.

I would wager that 61.8% of Americans don't fully buy into either the extreme right or extreme left positions held by the people you hear espousing them the loudest on talk radio shows and elsewhere. My guess is most people see a little bit of good here and a little bit there and come up with an idea of the middle that makes sense in their daily lives.

For instance, when asked if they want to do good by the planet and leave it in good condition for their decedents they'll say, "Sure!" But that doesn't mean they're going to stop using cars altogether. They'll do the stuff that makes sense to them and both laugh and admire some bits of either extreme position.

Do they want to stop another terrorist attack on the US? Sure! But that doesn't mean they want idiotic adventures in countries that aren't actually a threat, nor do they want to be subjected to full body cavity searches just so they can hop on a jet for vacation.

I don't think we need to eliminate the left and right. What we need to do is listen to what they have to say, use the reasonable ideas they might have and demand our politicians don't act on the stupid shit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver