kallend

Seeing Russia from Alaska

Attached is a picture of the only inhabited place in Alaska from which Russia may be seen. It's a tiny village on Little Diomede island in the Bering Strait. You can't see the Russian mainland, just a small uninhabited Russian island also in the Bering strait.

I guess Sarah Palin came here to get all her foreign policy experience.

Funnily enough, Michael Palin (of the Monty Pythons) HAS visited this island.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Please, I don't believe anyone with common sense and especially you think she meant it that way.

It was clear that when she was making the comment discussing Russia and the proximity to Alaska it was that she always has to be aware of what is going on in Russia as it relates to diplomatic standing with the USA. Clearly in the event of an attack on the USA by Russia, Alaska would be a first strike entry point. She clearly does need to know this as the commander in chief (Governor) in the protection of her state and its citizens.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Clearly in the event of an attack on the USA by Russia, Alaska would be a first strike entry point.

While that may have been a valid point during the years immediately following WWII, where the only way to get to bomb the west coast of the continental US was to fly over Alaska, it's certainly not true today.

Russia could easily bomb the crap out of the US and leave Alaska mostly untouched, which would be the smart way to go anyway since it doesn't muck up the oil infrastructure.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Attached is a picture of the only inhabited place in Alaska from which Russia may be seen. It's a tiny village on Little Diomede island in the Bering Strait. You can't see the Russian mainland, just a small uninhabited Russian island also in the Bering strait.

Looks like a charming little place. :S

Clearly in the event of an attack on the USA by Russia, Alaska would be a first strike entry point.

While that may have been a valid point during the years immediately following WWII, where the only way to get to bomb the west coast of the continental US was to fly over Alaska, it's certainly not true today.

Russia could easily bomb the crap out of the US and leave Alaska mostly untouched, which would be the smart way to go anyway since it doesn't muck up the oil infrastructure.

Alaska would still be a first strike target and easily reached by Russia's aging Bears. ICBMs could reach the mainland, of course. But you overestimate Russia's Air Force if you think they could just stroll on into our airspace and bomb away.

Immediately following WWII? This was last year.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070920/80150569.html

http://www.air-attack.com/news/news_article/2719/Russian-Bear-bombers-fly-along-Alaskan-Canadian-coastline.html

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>It was clear that when she was making the comment discussing Russia and the proximity to Alaska it was that she always has to be aware of what is going on in Russia as it relates to diplomatic standing with the USA.

She's just trying to create fear, the neo-con agenda. Remember the cartoon by Smigel on SNL where Bush is out of things to say, so he awkwardly stands there and says, "911?" The right tries to make us all think we are on the brink of destruction. This helps to keep us at 8 times the #2 military spender and keeps the RW in office.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Clearly in the event of an attack on the USA by Russia, Alaska would be a first strike entry point. She clearly does need to know this as the commander in chief (Governor) in the protection of her state and its citizens.

Yea, that would be brilliant, attack Alaska and make the road trip down thru Canada to mainland US. I'm sure they would be all over that :S:D

Alaska would still be a first strike target and easily reached by Russia's aging Bears. ICBMs could reach the mainland, of course. But you overestimate Russia's Air Force if you think they could just stroll on into our airspace and bomb away.

Immediately following WWII? This was last year.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070920/80150569.html

http://www.air-attack.com/news/news_article/2719/Russian-Bear-bombers-fly-along-Alaskan-Canadian-coastline.html

The whole thing of Russia attacking so hillarious :D

True for intercontinental bombing but not true for shipping supplies and troops from Russia to the USA. Alaska would still be an entry point. As for the oil, I am sure that Russia would want to take control of it for their use and prevent the USA from having access to it. I am also sure that Russia would be interested in taking out the strategic missile defense system located in Alaska. To think that Alaska is not a strategic point would be foolish.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

She's just trying to create fear, the neo-con agenda. Remember the cartoon by Smigel on SNL where Bush is out of things to say, so he awkwardly stands there and says, "911?" The right tries to make us all think we are on the brink of destruction. This helps to keep us at 8 times the #2 military spender and keeps the RW in office.

A + B = GWB
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Clearly in the event of an attack on the USA by Russia, Alaska would be a first strike entry point. She clearly does need to know this as the commander in chief (Governor) in the protection of her state and its citizens.

Of course, Alaska. The Alaska Highway is a must, in summer surely full of wonderful views.

Going a bit more south, Russians will hit the Panamericana - and the entire American continent is in their hands with just one coup de main. Genial. Just by entering Alaska, if Sarah P., the governor, is taking a nap.

:ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Looks like a charming little place. :S

It does, but there's no indication that Ms. Palin ever came here and saw Russia.

OMG.. the RED's are coming.......QUICK EVERYONE>. build bomb shelters in your back yards....

Welcome to 1950's thinking....oh.. thats right..rePUBICan conservative....carry on.

You gotta be shittin me. First off, I was replying to a post from quade in which he said Russia could bomb us, etc.

Second, nobody is saying Russia is an immediate threat. Besides brokering deals and PR stunts with countries who hate us, they're not a current threat.

What are you so pissed off about?

ssshhhh....you didn't capitalize....or use the word "rePUBICan", or any other catch phrase that "NEOCONS" or "DEMONCRATS" use...get with the times...it helps you argue effectively...oh wait...it really doesn't.

Not specifically aimed at you, Amazon.....just think it's quite hilarious when people of both political spectrums resort to childish name calling to help make their points more effective.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

It is sad that the old fears of cold can last for so long. I don't believe Russians have plans for attacking US ... And if they did attack Alaska, that would be one the most ridiculous strategic moves in the history or all wars. Where is the logic behind your theory?

ssshhhh....you didn't capitalize....or use the word "rePUBICan", or any other catch phrase that "NEOCONS" or "DEMONCRATS" use...get with the times...it helps you argue effectively...oh wait...it really doesn't.

Not specifically aimed at you, Amazon.....just think it's quite hilarious when people of both political spectrums resort to childish name calling to help make their points more effective.

Funny you should say that .

How many foreign countries are visible from Illinois, Professor?

Alaska has a Governor's Office of International Trade - how many offices of international trade has Senator Obama supervised?

EVERY ONE of Alaska's borders are international - how many borders of Illinois are international?

Seems like the Governor has just a tidge more experience with international relations than the Senator, no?

With all that "y'all are just scared of Obama" crap that's been flung around the forum, it's IMMENSELY gratifying to see the shoe on the other foot.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How many foreign countries are visible from Illinois … ?

You can see Mexico from Texas, but that hasn't helped GWB to be a competent POTUS, despite his experience as governor of the lone star state.

EVERY ONE of Alaska's borders are international …

If that somehow makes Palin more qualified in foreign policy, then, by the same logic, it makes her less qualified w/r/t domestic policy.

Seems like the Governor has just a tidge more experience with international relations than the Senator, no?

How many treaties does Alaska have with Russia? Nevermind, such a treaty would be unconstitutional. I guess Alaska's proximity to Russia doesn't offer Palin any foreign policy experience, does it?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

It is sad that the old fears of cold can last for so long. I don't believe Russians have plans for attacking US ... And if they did attack Alaska, that would be one the most ridiculous strategic moves in the history or all wars. Where is the logic behind your theory?

Nobody fears the Ruskies are comin over anytime soon. Completely dismissing them as a threat is just ignorant. They've been talking shit for years and now they're stepping up actions against neighbors and shaking hands with people who openly call for the destruction of America.

The Russians not liking the west is not a "fear of cold."

Indiana!

However, I don't recall anyone from Illinois ever claiming that being able to see Indiana gave us any special insight into interstate relations.

The whole issue of being able to see Russia just shows how truly clueless Ms. Palin is.

How many foreign countries are visible from Illinois … ?

You can see Mexico from Texas, but that hasn't helped GWB to be a competent POTUS, despite his experience as governor of the lone star state.

So? They're saying that Palin doesn't have the experience to be VP, when she has MORE experience working with foreign countries than Obama has.

Palin 1, Obama 0

EVERY ONE of Alaska's borders are international …

If that somehow makes Palin more qualified in foreign policy, then, by the same logic, it makes her less qualified w/r/t domestic policy.

How so? Does the governor not set domestic policy for her state? What has Obama set domestic policy for?

Palin 2, Obama 0

How many treaties does Alaska have with Russia? Nevermind, such a treaty would be unconstitutional. I guess Alaska's proximity to Russia doesn't offer Palin any foreign policy experience, does it?

See my original post, where I mention the Governor's Office of International Trade (nicely snipped in your reply) - that's certainly more experience working with foreign countries in ANY capacity than an Illinois Senator has had.

Palin 3, Obama 0
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Indiana!

However, I don't recall anyone from Illinois ever claiming that being able to see Indiana gave us any special insight into interstate relations.

The whole issue of being able to see Russia just shows how truly clueless Ms. Palin is.

Too bad you didn't see the parts that ABC so conveniently left out of that exchange.

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They’re our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

GIBSON: What insight does that give you into what they’re doing in Georgia?

PALIN: Well, I’m giving you that perspective of how small our world is and how important it is that we work with our allies to keep good relation with all of these countries, especially Russia. We will not repeat a Cold War. We must have good relationship with our allies, pressuring, also, helping us to remind Russia that it’s in their benefit, also, a mutually beneficial relationship for us all to be getting along.

We cannot repeat the Cold War. We are thankful that, under Reagan, we won the Cold War, without a shot fired, also. We’ve learned lessons from that in our relationship with Russia, previously the Soviet Union.

We will not repeat a Cold War. We must have good relationship with our allies, pressuring, also, helping us to remind Russia that it’s in their benefit, also, a mutually beneficial relationship for us all to be getting along.

Shall we compare Gibson's first interview with Palin in contrast with Gibson's first interview with Obama?

Obama's interview questions:
How does it feel to break a glass ceiling?
How does it feel to win?
How does your family feel about your “winning” breaking a glass ceiling?
Who will be your VP?
Should you choose Hillary Clinton as VP?
Will you accept public finance?
What issues is your campaign about?
Will you visit Iraq?
Will you debate McCain at a town hall?
What did you think of your competitor’s [Clinton] speech?

Palin's interview questions:
Do you have enough qualifications for the job you’re seeking? Specifically have you visited foreign countries and met foreign leaders?
Aren’t you conceited to be seeking this high level job?
Questions about foreign policy
-territorial integrity of Georgia
-allowing Georgia and Ukraine to be members of NATO
-NATO treaty
-Iranian nuclear threat
-what to do if Israel attacks Iran
-Al Qaeda motivations
-the Bush Doctrine
-attacking terrorists harbored by Pakistan
-Is America fighting a holy war? (where Palin was misquoted again)

Yeah, tell me again how the media is so even-handed, will you? :S
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You raise a good point, Mike: Palin has the same international experience as the Governor of North Dakota. Or is that Vermont? I forget.

They're saying that Palin doesn't have the experience to be VP, when she has MORE experience working with foreign countries than Obama has.

I disagree. Obama's on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the Homeland Security Committee.

He's also got a father from Kenya. Who named him Hussein. Also spent some time growing up in a foreign country.

Does the governor not set domestic policy for her state? What has Obama set domestic policy for?

Obama's on Senate Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, and the Committee on Veterans' Affairs.

You raise a good point, Mike: Palin has the same international experience as the Governor of North Dakota. Or is that Vermont? I forget.

Yeah, whatever you say, Andy. Keep scrambling.

They're saying that Palin doesn't have the experience to be VP, when she has MORE experience working with foreign countries than Obama has.

I disagree. Obama's on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the Homeland Security Committee.

And those committees routinely meet with representatives from other countries HOW often? Give me numbers.

He's also got a father from Kenya. Who named him Hussein. Also spent some time growing up in a foreign country.

So? That translates into foreign policy experience HOW, again?

Does the governor not set domestic policy for her state? What has Obama set domestic policy for?

Obama's on Senate Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, and the Committee on Veterans' Affairs.

Sounds like it's a tie in that respect, then.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What foreign countries has she worked with? Proximity does not equal a working relationship.

The POTUS deals with domestic policy for all fifty states. By your logic, since Alaska borders no states, Palin doesn't have sufficient experience.

See my original post, where I mention the Governor's Office of International Trade (nicely snipped in your reply) - that's certainly more experience working with foreign countries in ANY capacity than an Illinois Senator has had.

Are you suggesting, with your example, that Palin violated Article I Section 10 of the US Constitution?

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

I guess Palin didn't deserve those three points you credited her with after all. :S
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!