What war is really all about

Every war in history is about one of two things Money or power. The
person or people in control want something from another person or person
in control of another teritory! To get the populace involved a greater threat
or greater good needs to be pushed into the forfront and propagandized to
get people to fight fpr "the cause". Example The civil war... The southern
gentlemen had the ability to play at politics while their incomes were
assured through slave labor. The Northern politicians were losing power to
the southern democratic gentlemen and their lifestyle of wealth and liesure.
The Northern men started the propaganda of freeing the slaves. Now I am
not saying this was not a good byproduct of the northen mens intentions
but it was about political power. There was already a movement to free the
slaves and it was a good theme to build on to regain thier lost influence.
This was also a good forum for recruitment of northern soldiers and a
motivating factor for the army. The southerners responded with "They are
trying to take away your rights". Retoric. Men on each side flocked to the
call. The american revolution. The mexican american war all of them have
examples of the same thing. The only thing the common person can do is
decide weather the byproduct being the realization of the propaganda
purpose is worth going to war. Because someone is going to gain either
money or power over the whole thing. It wont be the soldier fighting the
war!!!

What is it good for ?
Absolutely nothing

So when your nation is attacked, what are you going to do?

Fight back, or do nothing?

If war is so evil that you should not participate in it, then you must be willing to submit to your attackers and give up your sovereignty and freedom.

What's your choice?

Every war in history is about one of two things Money or power.

Not entirely correct. More wars have been fought and more people have died on this planet throughout history in the name of religion than any other reason.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Did my serving Sir (technical not a shooter) I was in during the Falklands (yes I really am that old) - but about as far away as I could be, I know.

P.S the Edwin Starr quote was just that.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

WWOD? What would Obama do? Always ask yourself that when faced with a tough decision in life. If you were attacked, just talk with your attackers and reason with them. I'm sure they will see things your way and leave when asked to nicely. At least that is what some people would like to believe. Me, meet force with more force. Some things are worth fighting for.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Not entirely correct. More wars have been fought and more people have died on this planet throughout history in the name of religion than any other reason.

Religion and power and sometimes money can be the same things. Do you believe that the Crusades were fought because the Christians really wanted to convert Muslims and save the holy lands or because the Christians wanted the resources (money) and power (control over trade routes) available in the Middle East?

The higher powers in the church may have convinced some gullible religious soldiers to fight for them though.

I think he did leave out access to food and water as a major factor in many past wars though.
Owned by Remi #?

Every war in history is about one of two things Money or power.

what the last post (labrys) said.

Most wars are NOT about religion, they're about grabbing land & loot. A few of them have a VENEER of religion painted on them, but it's usually just BS that anyone with half a brain can see through.

Most wars do not even have the facade of religion about them though, ie, nearly all wars in the 18th, 19th & 20th century were not about religion.

I recently read a book about the 14th century (A Distant Mirror, by Barbara Tuchman) The Hundred Years War was not about religion at all.

And the Crusades at that time were just an attempt to get all these useless knights from rampaging around Europe like bandits, looting their fellow Europeans & thereby bankrupting the continent.

Northern Ireland in the 20th century: the two sides were called the Catholics and the Protestants, but think about it, were they REALLY fighting each over to defend their respective RELIGIONS? Were they blowing up pubs to defend a particular difference in theological interpration of scripture?? I highly doubt most of them ever set foot in church on Sundays. The fighting was about land & nationalism, occupation & discrimination.

to sum up:

1) Most wars do not even have the veneer of religion about them

2) Of those that do, most of the time the religion is just a bullshit facade, and the war is REALLY about something else.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

WWOD? What would Obama do? Always ask yourself that when faced with a tough decision in life. If you were attacked, just talk with your attackers and reason with them. I'm sure they will see things your way and leave when asked to nicely. At least that is what some people would like to believe. Me, meet force with more force. Some things are worth fighting for.

General comments for the cut-and-run crowd. (Not you, AWL71)

Switzerland is a neutral country, yet they have an Army and every citizen is a member of the militia with a military firearm at home, ready for call-up at a moment's notice. What does that say about their belief that their neutrality guarantees them freedom from attack?
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were once our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

General comments for the cut-and-run crowd. (Not you, AWL71)

Switzerland is a neutral country, yet they have an Army and every citizen is a member of the militia with a military firearm at home, ready for call-up at a moment's notice. What does that say about their belief that their neutrality guarantees them freedom from attack?
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were once our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

You really should step back from things you do not have any clue of. Switzerland.

Ever been there? Not "every citizen" is a member of "militia". Every man which ever joined the army is requested to keep his weapons at home. For "Just in case..." And for nothing else. They do not use weapons to kill. Beyond your imagination, right?

Reading the rest of your post just shows, you do not know anything about Europe or about Switzerland. Which is no EU country. Did you know?

Let me repeat: It's good to know you probably will never leave your Lone Star State - you surely would face a lot of problems outside your borders.

Just shut up, go home and clean your guns. You're a fossil in mind.

(Is that a PA???)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Religion and power and sometimes money can be the same things. Do you believe that the Crusades were fought because the Christians really wanted to convert Muslims and save the holy lands or because the Christians wanted the resources (money) and power (control over trade routes) available in the Middle East?

The higher powers in the church may have convinced some gullible religious soldiers to fight for them though.

I think he did leave out access to food and water as a major factor in many past wars though.

Labrys and Speedracer, go back and look at my statement, there is a key phrase in it...... in the name of religion. There is no question that it has been used as a means to an end and often times that has been for ulterior motives.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Labrys and Speedracer, go back and look at my statement, there is a key phrase in it...... in the name of religion. There is no question that it has been used as a means to an end and often times that has been for ulterior motives.

Okay then. If power and money are often the ulterior motives behind "religious wars" please explain what's "Not entirely correct" about money and power being the motivating factors behind war...in your opinion. What wasn't correct? You objected... and then you agreed. Which is it?
Owned by Remi #?

Ever been there? Not "every citizen" is a member of "militia". Every man which ever joined the army is requested to keep his weapons at home. For "Just in case..." And for nothing else. They do not use weapons to kill. Beyond your imagination, right?

Military members keep their weapons at home... but not to kill? Do they make good can openers?

Yes, it is beyond my tiny mind to think the militia would not use weapons to kill.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

to quote thomas merton, "fear is the root cause of all war"

to quote the wonders, "WAR is FEAR" and "Fear resides in the memory of the past and the anticipation of the future"

NOW is the time to chose a different timeline for the human race

after you watch these documentaries, you'll have a clue

www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8188389096643641702&ei=OxymSM21GKa8qgP32v3pCQ&q=the+truth+game

[/url]www.video.google.com/videosearchq=war+made+easy&emb=0#
[url]www.puppetji.com

we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

Military members keep their weapons at home... but not to kill? Do they make good can openers?

Yes, it is beyond my tiny mind to think the militia would not use weapons to kill.

I see, you're not that well informed. After leaving the army, ex-serviceman keep their weapons at home. Perhaps, I should have explained that a bit more but, thought that might be well known. Seems, it's not. Have a look at Swiss history, you may find out their war background is not that remarkable.

"Just in case" simply means, if any invader would enter that small country, they'd be prepared. Invasions are "in" these days.
:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

religion is an instrument of power-- so it is not true that it is "Not entirely correct" that it is about power (i.e., it is about power) :)
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

ahhhh - the hedge-hog fantasies of the swiss. How their military loves to talk about luring invaders into their valleys and leading Guerrilla warfare from the mountains with stealth attacks from specially designed skies and bicycles.

There reasons Switzerland was not attacked in WWII were its banks that everyone needed to launder and push money around (and of course their collaboration with the axis on numerous matters such as North-south transit, Jewish immigration, etc)

The reasons they did not attack anyone was because the generals from the French speaking part wanted to declare war on Germany and the ones from the German speaking part were more sympathetic to Germany.

The reasons that Switzerland is at peace now - again the banks and surrounding central Europe is a very peaceful place now.

The main function of the Swiss army up until now -- mainly a men's club for social advancement. The rather short conscription service (only 18 weeks -- compared to 1-3 years in other countries) is important to young males mainly to forge relations for the impending professional world. The annual week-long exercises are sort of class reunions at the shooting gallery.

In the past many job advertisements specifically required that you had to be a certain rank in the military (meaning, you had gone through a few more weeks of officer training and met a few more influential friends) ... which also tells you a bit about the role of women in the country.

It appears much of that is changing though with newer generation, and more and more are choosing the route of civil substitute service.

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Okay then. If power and money are often the ulterior motives behind "religious wars" please explain what's "Not entirely correct" about money and power being the motivating factors behind war...in your opinion. What wasn't correct? You objected... and then you agreed. Which is it?

No, I simply stated that the use of religion for waging wars has been historically used more than any other. Has power or wealth been a motivator in pursuing that course of action? Of course it has but that is usually by those in power, not the people. It is the ones doing the fighting that believe they are fighting for their side's survival or their ability to worship as they choose. When the people believe that is threatened by another religion or that their cause is "God's will", wars have ravaged on for decades and still do in parts of the middle east on a daily basis for a religious idea.....all of which can be traced back centuries ago. The people fighting are motivated by their religion, not because they stand to see an increase in power or wealth per say. Religion is the wrapper/box that has been used most successfully to get the people to buy the product.

religion is an instrument of power-- so it is not true that it is "Not entirely correct" that it is about power (i.e., it is about power)

It is an instrument of power that has been used by some Religious organizations, but it only works if the people believe in it and accept it to be what their God wills. I doubt you could find a fighter from any side throughout history that would say they were fighting for power or wealth that they would directly see. More often than not, it is to "repel the invaders"/defend their hmeland or for their ability to worship their God(s) as they choose. So when I say "not entirely correct" I mean just that, it's not incorrect it is just not a complete reason why people, not Gov'ts/religions, are motivated to wage war. Fighting for a religious ideology is very much alive and well in todays world and the guy pulling the trigger isn't thinking about how he is going to have more power or wealth he's doing it because he thinks his cause is just.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Drill a well, grow your own food (or move to a better place). Why do you have to kill someone? Unless they are trying to take the shit you worked hard for.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.